PDA

View Full Version : peter and roger drinking...

flyboy
24-Jun-2007, 07:32 PM
in dawn '78,after they come back from the mall, they are eating caviar and drinking jack daniels,do you think it was real jd and real caviar??:rolleyes:

MaximusIncredulous
24-Jun-2007, 07:47 PM
I think both were real. The caviar looked real enough and the JD didn't look like apple juice. They did pour it into cups which may have held water which may explain why Roger was carefully measuring how much JD he was pouring into the cup.

flyboy
24-Jun-2007, 08:15 PM
good observation my friend. i should have noticed that too!:)

darth los
24-Jun-2007, 08:39 PM
If you watch the european cut, all four actors do the commentary for that film. They say that it was indeed real jd and it was the only thing keeping them warm on that freezing set.

EvilNed
24-Jun-2007, 08:42 PM
All four actors do commentary? I've got to watch that. I've only seen the Theatrical cut of this film.

darth los
24-Jun-2007, 08:51 PM
All four actors do commentary? I've got to watch that. I've only seen the Theatrical cut of this film.

Yeah and it's awesome. They joke about each other and everything. It's on the eyropean cut. I own the ultimate collection so i have all 3. If you don't own it yet your doing yourself a deiservice. while the european cut is not the best of the three the commentary on it sure is. Gaylen even says that when dario aregento visited she hid because she felt that if he saw how ugly she was without make up he'd pull the plug on the film. I know, but that's what she said.

EvilNed
24-Jun-2007, 09:30 PM
Crap. It's not on sale in Sweden. I'll have to pick it up next time I'm in the states.

All I can find now is a 4-disc set with Night, Dawn (139 minutes, is this the directors cut?), Dawn European cut (and uncut) and Day + Document of the Dead.

MissJacksonCA
24-Jun-2007, 09:34 PM
I would've figured it was real and would've helped the actors improvise script together kinda like that guy in Jaws was half drunk the whole time he was there which helped fuel the hatred between Dreyfuss and him.

darth los
24-Jun-2007, 10:47 PM
Crap. It's not on sale in Sweden. I'll have to pick it up next time I'm in the states.

All I can find now is a 4-disc set with Night, Dawn (139 minutes, is this the directors cut?), Dawn European cut (and uncut) and Day + Document of the Dead.

Why not order it online? It's going for like $30 brand new.

bassman
25-Jun-2007, 02:02 AM
As referenced before....It's real ol' #7. I have seen other films/commentaries where they clearly state that they filled an empty bottle with tea.

I guess it can go either way.

darth los
25-Jun-2007, 02:25 AM
They did pour it into cups which may have held water which may explain why Roger was carefully measuring how much JD he was pouring into the cup.

I just watched that scene and it doesn't appear that the cup had any foreign substances in it.

MaximusIncredulous
25-Jun-2007, 07:50 AM
I just watched that scene and it doesn't appear that the cup had any foreign substances in it.

Strange, can't understand why Roger was so frugal with it when pouring it into his cup. It wasn't like they couldn't get more, albiet with some risk but that makes the whisky taste better.

darth los
25-Jun-2007, 07:55 AM
Strange, can't understand why Roger was so frugal with it when pouring it into his cup. It wasn't like they couldn't get more, albiet with some risk but that makes the whisky taste better.

Sometimes people watch things. People watch their cigarettes after they pull on them. People also watch the phone right before they hang up. Who knows?

MaximusIncredulous
25-Jun-2007, 07:56 AM
Makes me wonder if there was an OCDish side to Roger.

darth los
25-Jun-2007, 08:00 AM
Makes me wonder if there was an OCDish side to Roger.

Like a swat version of adrian monk? I never saw him being overly obsessed with minutia. An ocd guy would never have left his bag in the other truck. Or let that zombie have his m-16 for that matter. It would have bugged the sh8t out of him.

MaximusIncredulous
25-Jun-2007, 08:13 AM
Like a swat version of adrian monk? I never saw him being overly obsessed with minutia. An ocd guy would never have left his bag in the other truck. Or let that zombie have his m-16 for that matter. It would have bugged the sh8t out of him.

That's true. Maybe it was only triggered off by whisky.

Griff
25-Jun-2007, 11:45 AM

I think Roger may have been mixing his Jack's with water from the Civil Defense drums. His frugality may have been in attention to the whisky:water ratio.

Philly_SWAT
25-Jun-2007, 12:01 PM
I think that it probably was in fact real cavier and Jack. I mean, no one was getting paid all that much, including the 4 stars, so it was a nice little treat to give them the real stuff, I would think. It definately does look real in any event. I always assumed that there was some water in the cup, seeing as hwo Roger did appear to be measuring carefully. It may have been a cut scene, or just something that happened off screen.

Yeah and it's awesome. They joke about each other and everything. It's on the eyropean cut. I own the ultimate collection so i have all 3. If you don't own it yet your doing yourself a deiservice. while the european cut is not the best of the three the commentary on it sure is. Gaylen even says that when dario aregento visited she hid because she felt that if he saw how ugly she was without make up he'd pull the plug on the film. I know, but that's what she said.
That commentary is actually my least favorite. From hearing them talk, it was obvious that many members on this board are much more well versed in the on and off-screen thingss about Dawn. I had wished they were more experts, but I guess it was a short time in their life that they made the movie, and then they moved on without giving it much thought. Their memories were a little hazy too, Savini has a much better memory when it comes to doing those commentaries. And they didnt talk all that much abuot what was happening on screen, they were more just chatting with each other. They probably hadnt all been together like that in a long time and were just catching up, rather than giving insight into the movie, which is what I would have prefered.

EvilNed
25-Jun-2007, 03:32 PM
Why not order it online? It's going for like $30 brand new.

Shipping could cost alot. I'd save some money by just picking it up next time I'm in the states, which is inevitable anyway.

MikePizzoff
25-Jun-2007, 03:44 PM
That commentary is actually my least favorite. From hearing them talk, it was obvious that many members on this board are much more well versed in the on and off-screen thingss about Dawn. I had wished they were more experts, but I guess it was a short time in their life that they made the movie, and then they moved on without giving it much thought. Their memories were a little hazy too, Savini has a much better memory when it comes to doing those commentaries. And they didnt talk all that much abuot what was happening on screen, they were more just chatting with each other. They probably hadnt all been together like that in a long time and were just catching up, rather than giving insight into the movie, which is what I would have prefered.

I agree. There were too many times when they'd stray far off topic when I'd be hoping for some awesome behind-the-scenes stories about stuff. I believe I even made a thread on these boards a long time ago complaining about it.

darth los
25-Jun-2007, 05:05 PM

Well, given the amount of time devoted on this board to disecting this film, coupled with all the things we know and read, there's very little we don't already know about the making of the movie etc. You could even watch the 2 documentaries included in the 4 disc set if that's what you really wanted. While it's true that they really weren't familiar with the material it showed that they were genuine. How many interviews with savini and GAR must we read/listen to? I heard stuff from them my whole life. What i haven't experienced is insight from those actors about the film. It was like i was hanging out with them and it made me laugh far more than the other commentaries.

capncnut
25-Jun-2007, 07:53 PM
That commentary is actually my least favorite. From hearing them talk, it was obvious that many members on this board are much more well versed in the on and off-screen thingss about Dawn.
I agree, it was very inaccurate at times. I've said it before and I'll say it again, my fave commentary is the Tom Savini/Chris Stavrakis one. It's a treasure trove of facts regarding the background of Dawn and most of it is absolutely spot on.

in dawn '78,after they come back from the mall, they are eating caviar and drinking jack daniels,do you think it was real jd and real caviar?
Ken Foree says "Yes, it was real Jack Daniels 'cos it was old as crap in the Pennsylanian winter", or something like that in the 2004 documentary 'The Dead Will Walk'.

darth los
25-Jun-2007, 08:23 PM
Now that you guys mention it, it's suprising that the actors were so innacurate about a movie that for all intents and purposes are they are known for. I know they've all done other work but this was the highlight of all their careers. Considering that it was way back in the 70's it's really sad if you think about it.

DEAD BEAT
26-Jun-2007, 06:46 PM
in dawn '78,after they come back from the mall, they are eating caviar and drinking jack daniels,do you think it was real jd and real caviar??:rolleyes:

Gotta love the 1970's... i mean "JD & Caviar" you could'nt find that shiiit inside a JC Penny's today!
:elol:

darth los
26-Jun-2007, 07:08 PM
Gotta love the 1970's... i mean "JD & Caviar" you could'nt find that shiiit inside a JC Penny's today!
:elol:

That's a great point. So many things are different from when we were kids. I remember when big macs and most other fast food items came in styrofoam containers. People are just more conscious of things now. Do you think any movie today would show a pregnant woman smoking like fran did in dawn? I think not.