PDA

View Full Version : Fido

Yojimbo
27-Jun-2007, 02:05 AM
Just saw FIDO after hearing very little about it and was pleasantly surprised. Not a bad zombie film at all -- I mean, not up there with DOTD 78 or Shaun, but pretty hilarious (with a hint of twistedness) with some decent zombies and limited splatter.

Did anyone else see this one? Curious to hear what you all think!

darth los
27-Jun-2007, 02:11 AM
Just saw FIDO after hearing very little about it and was pleasantly surprised. Not a bad zombie film at all -- I mean, not up there with DOTD 78 or Shaun, but pretty hilarious (with a hint of twistedness) with some decent zombies and limited splatter.

Did anyone else see this one? Curious to hear what you all think!

i haven't but thanks for the review. It let's me know what to expect when i do see it. if it's supposed to be funny then i'll just turn my brain off and try to enjoy it.

Burbank
27-Jun-2007, 01:28 PM
Came across the trailer for this just now, looks quite funny. Billy Connolly as a zombie!

From the trailer, it looks like the writer saw the end of Shaun of the Dead and decided to expand on the idea.

Like the 50's settings, think I'm going to keep an eye out for this one when it makes the leap across the pond.

Danny
27-Jun-2007, 04:21 PM
^ what he said 50's retro nostalgia americana, with billy connely as a zombie, it canne' go wrong!:cool:

EvilNed
27-Jun-2007, 05:16 PM
Just watched the trailer. It looks very good!

Yojimbo
27-Jun-2007, 05:22 PM
[QUOTE=Burbank;96455]From the trailer, it looks like the writer saw the end of Shaun of the Dead and decided to expand on the idea. [QUOTE]

No doubt that Shaun influenced this one to a large degree. Like I said, Fido was not as good as Shaun (a bit too much cuteness) but a decent zombie film all the same, and better than the usual crap that is passed off as a zombie film (their numbers are legion)

Fido brings me hope that we might start seeing more decently made (and properly budgeted) zombie films.

Burbank
27-Jun-2007, 06:29 PM
I don't know Yojimbo, I quite like watching cheesy, low budget horror films. They do have their charm!

Yojimbo
28-Jun-2007, 12:30 AM
I don't know Yojimbo, I quite like watching cheesy, low budget horror films. They do have their charm!

I admit that Low Budget with extra cheese is entertaining, and confess that my library has quite a few of these, some better than others, but most quite close to intolerably boring and stupid. Some of that fan generated stuff I can almost forgive and tolerate, even if bad. A few of them are mega-cheesy and admittedly fun to watch (QUKCK AND THE UNDEAD comes to mind)

Other than the cuteness factor Fido exhibited (which made me want to go out and drink a lot of hard liquor and double park my car and litter indiscriminantly) Fido was one of those cheesy films which, unlike the other ones that sit in my library shelf, actually might be worth the purchase value.

MissJacksonCA
29-Jun-2007, 05:23 AM
Thanks for the tip about the movie... thats totally just moved to the top of my Netflix queue! :)

darth los
29-Jun-2007, 06:56 AM
I admit that Low Budget with extra cheese is entertaining, and confess that my library has quite a few of these, some better than others, but most quite close to intolerably boring and stupid. Some of that fan generated stuff I can almost forgive and tolerate, even if bad. A few of them are mega-cheesy and admittedly fun to watch (QUKCK AND THE UNDEAD comes to mind)

Other than the cuteness factor Fido exhibited (which made me want to go out and drink a lot of hard liquor and double park my car and litter indiscriminantly) Fido was one of those cheesy films which, unlike the other ones that sit in my library shelf, actually might be worth the purchase value.

Some movies aren't to be taken seriously. They are what they are. You can't go in to every film expecting a masterpiece. If you do you'll be disapointed 99% of the time. Cheesy movies definitely have their place when all you want to do is turn your brain off for two hours. It's when movies are touted as the second coming do people really feel like they didn't get their money's worth because expectations are too high.

MissJacksonCA
29-Jun-2007, 07:03 AM
I'm hoping for some real cheeze when I watch the movie Intruder later tonite/tommorow morning! It has Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell!

I like cheesy flicks (obviously cos I own the Evil Dead) but I hate getting a horror movie that says its scary and isn't... like Undead

At least with Shaun of the Dead they poked fun at it to show it was a comedy

kidgloves
30-Jun-2007, 08:27 PM
Don't bother with Fido. While the makers obviously know their zombie movies and history, this movie is ultimately a complete failure for us zombie movie lovers. IMHO:D

***SPOILERS***

There are some dark moments especially with a neighbour who has a young girl zombie "companion" and the movie setting is great but the plot turns into a bored housewife finds love with the butler zombie scenario :kiss: . Suprisingly Billy Connolly isn't very good as a zombie and his friendship with the kid doesn't come across convincingly. Its one of those missed opportunity zombie movies. Shame really:(