PDA

View Full Version : 1408

Burbank
27-Jun-2007, 01:42 PM
Any had a chance to see this King apation? I'm not normally a fan of King's work full stop, but this one looks pretty good. It's got John Cusack in it, which, for me is a good sign.

Watched the trailer and the plot looks pretty good, with some quite good scares previewed.

It was out in the US this month and I don't think it set the box office alight!

bassman
27-Jun-2007, 03:22 PM
I've only heard good things about it. Every review i've read has said that it's a good movie. I'll probably end up seeing it later this week after I see the new "Die Hard".

Danny
27-Jun-2007, 04:06 PM
meh, i posted a pic from this months ago and what i said then still stands, its base don a sotry of around 30 pages length, a short tale from the everythings eventual anthology, and it doesnt have enough in it to make a full length feature film.

bassman
27-Jun-2007, 04:12 PM
meh, i posted a pic from this months ago and what i said then still stands, its base don a sotry of around 30 pages length, a short tale from the everythings eventual anthology, and it doesnt have enough in it to make a full length feature film.

That's where the screenwriters come in.;)

Danny
27-Jun-2007, 04:14 PM
which means theyll try and add more scenes than the first part were he talks to the owner adn the second part in the room, AKA a bunch of unrelated crap that they probably think will appeal to lost fans.:bored:

bassman
27-Jun-2007, 04:50 PM
Just because they have to add doesn't necessarily mean that it will be useless. The two writers have written some good flicks. "People VS Larry Flynt", "Man on the Moon", "Ed Wood". Although....one of them did write Halloween H20.(Halloween Water?....)

It's the same with any film that's converted from books/stories/etc. People bitch about LOTR, people bitch about comic adaptations. It can NEVER and will never be the same was what's on the paper.

Burbank
27-Jun-2007, 06:36 PM
Plus short stories (depending the the length clearly) tend to work much better in movie adpations as they are of the right length. Most full novels have too much in them and so some of it must be lost, which involves lossing characterisation and/or plot points - leading to heavy re-writes by the script writers.

I'm not a fan of King's writing, nor really a fan of any of the films based on his books, so I'm not really going to be bothered if it sticks to the original plot or not - so long as I enjoy the film.

bassman
27-Jun-2007, 06:55 PM
I'm not a fan of King's writing, nor really a fan of any of the films based on his books, so I'm not really going to be bothered if it sticks to the original plot or not - so long as I enjoy the film.

That's what most people tend to forget when watching a film that has been converted from another medium. If it's not EXACTLY what they read on paper then it's no good.:confused:

Khardis
07-Jul-2007, 02:21 AM
I saw it, it was alright I guess, I was mostly bored. It was like a really crappy rip off of The Shining in a way. I would say wait for the DVD.

Danny
07-Jul-2007, 01:15 PM
pretty much what i expected:bored:

bring on the dark tower movies!, william h macy would be bitchin' as randal flagg;)

DjfunkmasterG
13-Jan-2009, 12:23 AM
Which ending did you see? It seems the film has 4 different endings.

1 for theaters
1 for DVD
1 for Shotime
1 For HBO

I just watched it on Showtime 2 HD and the ending I got was different than what most people were talking about on IMDB.

I actually liked it, plus I find Hotels rooms creepy anyway.

bassman
13-Jan-2009, 11:48 AM
Four endings? I thought there were only two. Both of which are on the DVD. I actually just watched it on one of the movie channels(cant remember which) the other night and it had the theatrical ending. I think so, anyway...

As for the film itself...it was okay. I've seen it twice now and it kept me entertained. It's worth the time. Then again, I like just about anything with John Cusack. Recently saw Grosse Point Blank again. Hilarious film...

DjfunkmasterG
13-Jan-2009, 01:52 PM
I love Gross Pointe Blank. That is my favorite 90's meant to feel 80's comedies. Everytime that film is on I tune in, even if it is the last 10-15 minutes.

Another Cusack Fave of mine is Runaway Jury.

EvilNed
13-Jan-2009, 02:42 PM
Solid flick. And I agree that short stories are the best stories to adapt.

bassman
13-Jan-2009, 02:53 PM
I love Gross Pointe Blank. That is my favorite 90's meant to feel 80's comedies. Everytime that film is on I tune in, even if it is the last 10-15 minutes.

Another Cusack Fave of mine is Runaway Jury.

Yeah, thats a good one too. I think my all time favorite of his is probably High Fidelity. I've seen that flick countless times and it never gets old....

DjfunkmasterG
13-Jan-2009, 06:21 PM
Yeah, thats a good one too. I think my all time favorite of his is probably High Fidelity. I've seen that flick countless times and it never gets old....

Yeah, I too enjoy High Fidelity. Pretty Solid comedic flick. Works well, and Cusack plays the guy you most wanna hang out with to perfection.

Neil
14-Jan-2009, 07:03 PM
OK flick IMHO...