PDA

View Full Version : Roman orgies...

Neil
28-Jun-2007, 07:38 AM
...when ever you see a Roman orgy kicking off in a film or TV program, none of the women involved seem the slightest bit concerned with pregrancy...

With such sexual activity, how on earth did Roman women prevent it?

MissJacksonCA
28-Jun-2007, 07:52 AM
i believe they used like the 'shell' of a lemon or orange as a diaphragm

MaximusIncredulous
28-Jun-2007, 08:18 AM
This may answer your question:

http://www.islamonline.net/English/Science/2003/08/article02.shtml

Neil
28-Jun-2007, 08:48 AM
This may answer your question:

http://www.islamonline.net/English/Science/2003/08/article02.shtml

Amazing! How on earth did these folk work out this stuff?

MaximusIncredulous
28-Jun-2007, 09:50 AM
Amazing! How on earth did these folk work out this stuff?

I've always wondered about that. I think these things were discovered by accident, the herbs taken for one purpose, only to find out through experience what the side effects are, in this case contraception.

Neil
28-Jun-2007, 10:13 AM
I've always wondered about that. I think these things were discovered by accident, the herbs taken for one purpose, only to find out through experience what the side effects are, in this case contraception.

Suppose the greatest example of this is the eating of the puffer fish :)

That bit killed uncle Jim, let's give this bit to uncle Bob and see how he gets on...

darth los
28-Jun-2007, 04:10 PM

That's almost certainly the case. The same way people discovered what different herbs and plants can do as well, There was probably a little trial and error involved as well. It doesn't suprise me though. Thoughout history people have had the same needs and dilemas that we do today. With the obvious lack of technology they had to find other ways to get things done.

Chic Freak
28-Jun-2007, 07:16 PM
I think Liam told me that ancient Egyptian women used to have stones inserted into their wombs to prevent pregnancy, kind of like a primitive coil.

_liam_
28-Jun-2007, 07:28 PM
yeah, nothing will gestate in the womb if an object infringes on the minimum amount of space a zygote needs

Philly_SWAT
30-Jun-2007, 10:49 PM
...when ever you see a Roman orgy kicking off in a film or TV program, none of the women involved seem the slightest bit concerned with pregrancy...

Well, I have never been personally involved in an orgy, but if I was, I would think the last thing on my mind at that particular moment would be thoughts of contraception......

Cody
02-Jul-2007, 12:26 AM
great thread.

Chic Freak
02-Jul-2007, 06:54 PM
Well, I have never been personally involved in an orgy, but if I was, I would think the last thing on my mind at that particular moment would be thoughts of contraception......

Ew, it would be the first thing on my mind :p I'd assume that most people there had been in oher orgies etc, who knows what they'd be carrying :barf:

MikePizzoff
02-Jul-2007, 09:45 PM
Back then there were no STD's.... right? :confused:

Terran
02-Jul-2007, 10:20 PM
Back then there were no STD's.... right? :confused:

Gonorrhea is one of the oldest known sexually transmitted diseases...
and Syphilis has been around for like....forever

And we did not have cures for these two back then...

Those are the ones I know off the top of my head that have been around (known of) for long periods of time....

MissJacksonCA
03-Jul-2007, 04:08 AM
i'm going to have to say people into orgies and swinging deffinately have some serious precautionary measures to avoid disease and kids... but its prolly the last thing on a mans mind and the first thing on a womans mind

Khardis
07-Jul-2007, 01:55 AM

I remember seeing a documentary one time on stuff like this, and there was apparently some kind of an herb Roman woman used to take that blocked pregnancy, so well in fact that its now extinct as a species.

Also the romans were one of the 1st people to use Lambskin condoms. Which stops pregnancy but not always STDs.

Neil
07-Jul-2007, 10:16 AM
I remember seeing a documentary one time on stuff like this, and there was apparently some kind of an herb Roman woman used to take that blocked pregnancy, so well in fact that its now extinct as a species.

Also the romans were one of the 1st people to use Lambskin condoms. Which stops pregnancy but not always STDs.

Impressive!

MissJacksonCA
07-Jul-2007, 10:23 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birth_control#History

Their whooooole shebang on BC is quite impressive and they list the herbs that used to be used as a birth control method... While there was nothing on Roman Orgies really the BC was quite well stocked on information... enjoy