PDA

View Full Version : Frank made us listen...

DVW5150
28-Jun-2007, 08:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5b8FxF-bXw

Frank Zappa standing up as a parent and artist for all of us that believe the constitution must not be f*cked with & censorship is wrong.

You will find the whole testimony by Frank in 4 parts .

This was a day that has made creative freedom a very important subject.
It doesnt matter how good a musician or artist you are; its how much $$$ you have.

Anybody with a brain stem can tell that these days music is not about music anymore, its about $$$.

Thats why Frank made his own warning label for Barking Pumpkin.

The music world today is evidence that Franks effort didnt stop the paternalistic protectors... But his efforts are reflected in the many people that will not let his memory die.

God bless you Frank , thanks for giving all you could .

capncnut
28-Jun-2007, 09:59 PM
Yeah, and thanks for giving us Hot Rats. An awesome record. :cool:

DVW5150
29-Jun-2007, 03:48 AM

" :) Peaches en Regalia " my man! My mom still has like 20 Zappa records, Ive been slowly getting them on cd...

capncnut
29-Jun-2007, 04:49 PM
Yeah, I know but they just dont feel the same on CD...

<resumes age old debate> :D

DVW5150
30-Jun-2007, 01:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDwRJK8bpb4

Terry Bozzio Kicks Butt on this recent Zappa plays Zappa show in Detroit . Thanks to sixsix.
Frank :cool: had Terry because of his incredible talent ...

My mom has a copy of Over Nite Sensation, first pressing Capt.Worth well over 5 gs.
I love the warmth of analog sound too . But these days you have to use equalization to emulate it (if possible) . Norman tries his best to eq all our (Blindfold) tunes in this manner. Even though we use Sound Forge & Acid .

coma
30-Jun-2007, 05:47 PM
Willie The Pimp! Yeah!

My fav Zappa tunes are Black Napkins (insane Gtr playing in a wierdo time sig) and Bobby Brown. Sheik Yer Bootie was the first Frank Record I heard and it opened up a new world for me. I have these cousins that were burnouts and they introduced me to a lot of cool stuff.
I have like 12 or 15 ZAppa records on vinyl. Most I brought at record world in the 80s

DVW5150
02-Jul-2007, 02:41 PM
Yeah, I know but they just dont feel the same on CD...

<resumes age old debate> :D

Yeah, cds are smaller and silver in the bottom. When you try to play them, the needle just scratches the plastic.:lol:

Seriously, a LP was more exciting to look at, bigger pictures, linear notes about the musicians .If you have a decent turntable, the warmth of the sound is something you are aware of only if you have experienced it. Now its all crammed into a little plastic thingy that gets read by a lazer.
Still, one must keep up with the fast food culture, one day this is new, the next is obsolete.
Soon , everything will be obsolete before its on the market.
Then there will be a void, a deep yawning chasm we can all just throw the sh!t into.

Who knows maybe one day we will be thrown back to the victrola days .
" *scratch*pop* F.Z. :Cocaine Descisions, you are movie business high, you have accountants to supply ."

I just bought The Frank Zappa Dub Room Special DVD(1982), havent seen it since 1985(vhs) I was in Pest Buy looking at desktops, HP ,Gateway (no offense,yech)...I was leaving the store and just got this feeling that I should look in the music dvd section and found one copy.I have Baby Snakes & Does humor Belong in Music? on dvd and love them...
I cant wait for the Zappa plays Zappa dvd , that'll be cool.
The Dub room Special has some tunes w/ Steve Vai and Franks band from I think 1981-2 and they do "Stevies Spanking" which is really great.

Frank is funny as sh!t, saying how cheap this show is , edited at Compact Video in the San Fernando Valley CA.
He has a PZM microphone velcroed to his head to get stereo audio, says they have "...spared no expense, including 90 dollars an hour " to edit the 'Dub Room Special'...Get it if you can find it.

Hopefully, people in your area will be too caught up in the fast food intelligence crud that is on the radio & forgotten tomorrow, and you'll find it.

I just dropped $1400 on a Alienware Aurora 7500...I'll get it within 2 weeks.

Its insane what they have in their computers. Military spec power. INSANE!

Alienware.com ...if you wanna take a gander at tip top state of the art pcs.

One thing though, they were bought out by Dell, who out sources to Mexico...I have been through so much with my '04 Alien , (which turns out to be a hybrid )that I just had to invest in something equivalent to Mad Maxs black interceptor when it comes to computers.(geez I hijacked this thread, sorry)
I know one thing, it'll run games smoother and faster than anything else, and be a great way to edit video and store Blindfolds music & music I love by others.

My wife was talking to a friend of hers online in Gateshead NSW Austrailia and he never even heard of Frank Zappa...

Has anybody ever read The Real Frank Zappa book ? I strongly recommend this to anyone with a brain stem.

Willie The Pimp! Yeah!

My fav Zappa tunes are Black Napkins (insane Gtr playing in a wierdo time sig) and Bobby Brown. Sheik Yer Bootie was the first Frank Record I heard and it opened up a new world for me. I have these cousins that were burnouts and they introduced me to a lot of cool stuff.
I have like 12 or 15 ZAppa records on vinyl. Most I brought at record world in the 80s

Coma , the day Frank died, I played Black Napkins (from a cassette I had) on my stereo loud, through Altec mains, and wept. Shiek Yer Booty is really friggin great...Cheers!

Zoot Allures is my next target.If I can find it.

I know the Zappa Trust is a great way to find what you are looking for thats FZ related.

capncnut
02-Jul-2007, 04:02 PM
Zoot Allures is my next target. If I can find it.
Top album, only have it on CD though.

MissJacksonCA
03-Jul-2007, 11:36 PM
Frank who?

I've never listened to Frank Zappa at least if I have I didn't know it. I'm going to have to download soon now but I totally agree that music today is largely about making money and not about quality or sending a message or even putting your thoughts out there. Its like fluff music. Err fluff noise. Most bands today sound the same, all singers sound the same, all rap is exactly the same. Its a damn shame... and suddenly I feel old...

coma
04-Jul-2007, 04:25 AM
Most bands today sound the same, all singers sound the same, all rap is exactly the same. Its a damn shame... and suddenly I feel old...
Noone sounds like Zappa and he has an aburdly wide variety of styles and sounds. He made like 60 records and they are all different
My faves
200 motels
Zoot Allures
Shut up and play yer guitar
Sheik Yer Booty
Apostrophe (I loooove this record)
Joes Garage (Oh YEah!)
You are what you is

Theres Oodles of Great Zappa, but those I listed I really love.

Guess you only get one chance in life to play a song that goes like this...

DVW5150
05-Jul-2007, 02:37 AM
The "Man from Utopia" ( cover art by Ran Zerox) the was awesome.I bought a re mastered version and it was totally ruined.It wasnt re mastered by anyone in the Zappa circle, so if you see it make sure that Gail Zappa (Mrs Zappa) & The Zappa Trust had something to do with it.

Great choices Coma! But you forgot "Lumpy Gravy"...

Danny
05-Jul-2007, 03:03 AM
Frank who?

I've never listened to Frank Zappa at least if I have I didn't know it. I'm going to have to download soon now but I totally agree that music today is largely about making money and not about quality or sending a message or even putting your thoughts out there. Its like fluff music. Err fluff noise. Most bands today sound the same, all singers sound the same, all rap is exactly the same. Its a damn shame... and suddenly I feel old...

man i get that, the kind of bands i like are like him, lordi, the aqubats, dragonforce or some crap bands like that, but none of em take themselves serious in taht out adn out pop idol pretentious way, like when a girl whos been a teen acting sensation (and i use the term loosely) isnt doing well in hollywood as an adult actress but is too old to play the same roles so tries a *sigh* music career.
point is if you can hear them make mistakes or not enunciate correctly them you listening to a band thats the real deal, if not its most likely each sentance is reocrded seperatly and uses tons of equipment to alter to make it listener worthy.

as for rap it aint my thing im more a rock/metal kidna guy but that jay-z guy seems to actually have talent, 50 cent on the other hand looks like a stroke victim suffering from parkinsons disease, he just tlaks with his paralised face, jerking a little as he looks at the camera, he puts no emotion into his music, so in my opinion it aint music.

coma
05-Jul-2007, 05:18 AM
as for rap it aint my thing im more a rock/metal kidna guy but that jay-z guy seems to actually have talent, 50 cent on the other hand looks like a stroke victim suffering from parkinsons disease, he just tlaks with his paralised face, jerking a little as he looks at the camera, he puts no emotion into his music, so in my opinion it aint music.
aRE YOU AWARE THAT 50 CENT GOT SHOT RIGHT IN THE FACE(caps lock and Im not retyping) that accounts for the paralyzed face. No emotion, well, thats his problem:). Jay Z is a one subject writer. He chooses good beats but he is pretty lame as a rhymer.
Me, I like all kinds of music.

The "Man from Utopia" ( cover art by Ran Zerox) the was awesome.I bought a re mastered version and it was totally ruined.It wasnt re mastered by anyone in the Zappa circle, so if you see it make sure that Gail Zappa (Mrs Zappa) & The Zappa Trust had something to do with it.

Great choices Coma! But you forgot "Lumpy Gravy"...
I didnt forget Lumpy garvy or the man form utopia. If I put every record of his I like there would be a list of 30 or so.:lol:

Like I said, and to rub it in yer mugs, I have many Zappa records on vinyl. including Original Mothers records, Zoot allures, Joes Garage, 200 Motels and a whole bunch more. I have None on CD. I dont really need em, when the original Mixes and masterings are excellent. Except maybe 200 motels. Some of it is a bit wonky.

DVW5150
05-Jul-2007, 02:13 PM
aRE YOU AWARE THAT 50 CENT GOT SHOT RIGHT IN THE FACE(caps lock and Im not retyping) that accounts for the paralyzed face. No emotion, well, thats his problem:). Jay Z is a one subject writer. He chooses good beats but he is pretty lame as a rhymer.
Me, I like all kinds of music.

I didnt forget Lumpy garvy or the man form utopia. If I put every record of his I like there would be a list of 30 or so.:lol:

Like I said, and to rub it in yer mugs, I have many Zappa records on vinyl. including Original Mothers records, Zoot allures, Joes Garage, 200 Motels and a whole bunch more. I have None on CD. I dont really need em, when the original Mixes and masterings are excellent. Except maybe 200 motels. Some of it is a bit wonky.
Isnt the cover from 'Man From Utopia' great? I love that artwork.Its by the artist that did 'Ran Xerox' in Heavy Metal magazine.

Man Coma , this website has made it possible for me to meet cool people; good to know you , we all need to chat sometime : Capt , Hellz ,MZ, Debs , you & I .

I dont want to hex my bands cd, but a mastering session is imminent .
crossing fingers (uncrossed when I play guitar)...:lol:

capncnut
05-Jul-2007, 07:51 PM
I dont want to hex my bands cd, but a mastering session is imminent.
Please keep me updated on that brother.

DVW5150
07-Jul-2007, 02:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec82-krTX9M

I edited this because Frank Zappa made a big impact on my creative thinking process.
When I was 7 or 8 , I spent early mornings eating PB Captncrunch , listening to " Lumpy Gravy " on my little red Panasonic tape recorder.
I hope that human beings can evolve the way FZ had, music is the most common ground among us.

I forgot to mention Adrian Belew in there.

Thank you Gail Zappa (Zappa Trust) for keeping in tandem with the conscious musical integrity that Frank Zappa gave us.

The music title is Frank, from Steve Vai's CD, Ultra World .Epic/Sony 1999

I saw Vai play this at the House of Blues in downtown Disney world in 2000.
I looked around the theater and noticed many others in the audience tearing up too.It was very quiet, everyone had their senses completely committed to this awesome performance .
Steve Vai nails FZs vibe with this original composition , I am very moved to make this 'hat tip' video edit acknowledging Frank Zappa & Steve Vai .

Zappa plays Zappa on tour now.

Khardis
07-Jul-2007, 02:22 PM
Watch out where, the huskies go and you eat that yellow snow!

DVW5150
07-Jul-2007, 03:13 PM
Watch out where, the huskies go and you eat that yellow snow!

My youngest ( shed kill me if say, but what the heck) thought to herself, "Someone spilled a lime snow cone!" ewww. I think it was poodle pee though.