PDA

View Full Version : Reason to buy a PS3?

darth los
29-Jun-2007, 04:05 AM
Since i don't own anhd tv it's not going to do me any good, but if you buy a ps3 you get 5 free blu ray movies. Sony must really be getting desparate.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6173335.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;2

Rottedfreak
29-Jun-2007, 09:29 AM
Nice try Sony, all they need to do is wait until RE5 and MGS4 are available. Or make a more affordable console - graphics arent everything.

Danny
29-Jun-2007, 11:42 AM
since resi5 is coming out on the 360, adn lets face it probably the wii metal gear 4 alone is not going to sell me a console 1 was a masterpiece 2 was allright 3 ,what little i played was aweful so i dont have high hopes for it, but since 1 and 2 whent onto the gamecube and xbox i doubt konami will keep it specific anyway, in this day and age with damn near everyone i know owning a wii and a 360 or ps3 the idea of console specific games doesnt seem to work anymore.

MinionZombie
29-Jun-2007, 12:56 PM
And also down to the cost of making games these days, it makes lesser and lesser financial sense to make games console specific. They've gotta pimp it out as much as they can to reap as many rewards as possible.

darth los
29-Jun-2007, 05:12 PM
since resi5 is coming out on the 360, adn lets face it probably the wii metal gear 4 alone is not going to sell me a console 1 was a masterpiece 2 was allright 3 ,what little i played was aweful so i dont have high hopes for it, but since 1 and 2 whent onto the gamecube and xbox i doubt konami will keep it specific anyway, in this day and age with damn near everyone i know owning a wii and a 360 or ps3 the idea of console specific games doesnt seem to work anymore.

Sony really missed the boat by letting MS get a year head start on them. Because of the decline of game exclusivity that you mentioned there really isn't a reason to buy a ps3 especially considering the exorbitant price tag. The wii, i believe, was going to sell the way it does regardless because it's just so different, is marketed to a different demographic of gamers. You can't compare it to the other 2 consoles. I keep saying it. Forget all these promotins, THEY NEED A PRICE DROP!!!

And also down to the cost of making games these days, it makes lesser and lesser financial sense to make games console specific. They've gotta pimp it out as much as they can to reap as many rewards as possible.

It's true, making games nowdays is rivaling the cost of making a low budget movie. Many games which are actually based on good concepts and would probably be a blast to play don't even get made because the analysts don't think that they can turn much of a profit. This is why we have so many sequels instead of original franchises.

Danny
29-Jun-2007, 05:19 PM
acutally the ps3 is going to have a price drop ...eventually according to sony marketing but it'l still only have **** games so its not going to make a difference in the long run, your console could be the mutts nutz but if the games suck it aint gonna sell.

CoinReturn
29-Jun-2007, 05:45 PM
since resi5 is coming out on the 360, adn lets face it probably the wii metal gear 4 alone is not going to sell me a console 1 was a masterpiece 2 was allright 3 ,what little i played was aweful so i dont have high hopes for it

Metal Gear Solid 3 is widely considered to be the best in the series. Its got the best story I've ever seen in a video game, and you actually feel for the characters as you near the end. The gameplay is a bit lacking, stiff animation and wonky controls, but the atmosphere and the story really make up for it. You should give it another shot, if you have the chance. Edit: I remembered how much you liked Condemned, you should give The Darkness a shot. Its more of a first person adventure, rather than a balls out shooter. Awesome game, killer atmosphere, and some seriously unsettling sections make it one of my favorite 360 games this year.

capncnut
29-Jun-2007, 05:53 PM
Well, I gotta say that I'm playing my PS3 a hell of a lot more than my 360 at the moment, thanks to the tweaked and updated Oblivion but it's still not worth the asking price. I have also heard that Sony have the Metal Gear Solid 4 exclusive for a couple of years so an immediate 360 release is impossible. I'm not particularly bothered about Snake but that will be a big selling point for the console.

Nowhere near as epic as Halo 3 though. :sneaky:

Danny
29-Jun-2007, 05:54 PM
actually i thought condemned sucked balls.

MinionZombie
29-Jun-2007, 09:22 PM
But you've probably played a lot of SexBox in your time though, Capn, right?

New kid on the block syndrome I guess ... and no, not that shiite boy band.

Games are the thing for consoles really, just look at the Wii, not the greatest box out there, but it's the games that have sold over 8 million of them now. Also, yeah, the lack of exclusive titles and the late arrival have not done the PS3 any good.

I don't really have anything against the console itself, it's Sony I've had a problem with in relation to the PS3, like the way they assumed it was their market alone and they had everything so stitched up, that was a real put off for me...as well as not being a Playstation person in general too I guess.

I'll play one at a mate's, but I wouldn't really own one ... unless I won it or was given one, hehe.

Anyway, horses for courses...

CoinReturn
29-Jun-2007, 10:18 PM
lol hellsing, It must have been somebody else

darth los
29-Jun-2007, 10:56 PM

New kid on the block syndrome I guess ... and no, not that shiite boy band.

Games are the thing for consoles really, just look at the Wii, not the greatest box out there, but it's the games that have sold over 8 million of them now. Also, yeah, the lack of exclusive titles and the late arrival have not done the PS3 any good.

I don't really have anything against the console itself, it's Sony I've had a problem with in relation to the PS3, like the way they assumed it was their market alone and they had everything so stitched up, that was a real put off for me...as well as not being a Playstation person in general too I guess.

I'll play one at a mate's, but I wouldn't really own one ... unless I won it or was given one, hehe.

Anyway, horses for courses...

Actually, i believe that it's the inovative way that you play the games and not the games themselves that are selling the wii. I'm not a big fan so the titles may elude me, but short of twighlight princess virtually every game for the wii that has ports on other consoles consistently have significantly lower ratings.

MinionZombie
30-Jun-2007, 11:05 AM
Part of 'it's the games selling the system' is down to the controller itself, I took that as a given.

capncnut
01-Jul-2007, 12:55 AM
Oh, indeed. And when Mass Effect, Bioshock, Halo 3 and Alan Wake come out, I'll be playing it 24/7. :D

darth los
01-Jul-2007, 01:00 AM
Oh, indeed. And when Mass Effect, Bioshock, Halo 3 and Alan Wake come out, I'll be playing it 24/7. :D

I don't know about you guys but i like to play a game straight through before i start another one. I know that at the moment MZ is having a threesome with crackdown and GOW. :p However, i find that when involved in massive games like oblivion and mass effect the whole idea of playing them all sounds good but it's not practical, not if you want to experience everything the game has to offer. Most main quests last no more than 30 hours but if you throw sidequests and expansions in there it'll put you well over a hundred. Mass effect alone, which i've already reserved, sounds impossibly huge. I mean a whole freaking universe!?! Has there ever been anything comprable to that scope made before?

Danny
01-Jul-2007, 01:06 AM
a star wars mmo i think, but i dont think it could be that you explore every inch of a planet, more like certain areas the size crackdown or oblivion on each planet i think, since i doubt a single dvd has the sapce for a game of a bigger magnitude, i think were lookin' at another fable, might be good but wont live up to the hype, though id be glad to be proved wrong o'course.:)

MinionZombie
01-Jul-2007, 11:19 AM
Oh indeed, some games you just have to dedicate to, also comes down to when you buy them. I got into Crackdown and GOW at the same time as I bought them together and had to give them a good testing before my 10 day return window was up, so I've gone and gotten into them both at the same time now, hehe.

However, I played Saints Row almost exclusively for 2 weeks, I've got a bit more to do on that, but I needed a change after all that for two weeks straight. With Dead Rising I played that pretty much exclusively till I did the 72 hours (couldn't be bothered with the story, I watched that on a website with the videos, haha).

PGR3 - played through at the first level, started on the second level recently, but then got Crackdown and GOW, so it's on the back burner for the moment, but I'll return to it again.

Danny
01-Jul-2007, 01:07 PM
aye crackdown certainly lives up to the first word in it name. i need 80 orbs left and 2 of the asian gang members in the towers to kill. i got f.e.a.r at the same time but thats just a cheap counter strike in the doom 3 engine for my liking its just not worth the money, so ive been playing project zero 2 (fookin' scary, albiet not as much as the first one) and darkwatch and gun, yeah im in a western gameing mood, a western gta would rock.

MinionZombie
01-Jul-2007, 05:56 PM
Actually FEAR is on Lithtech: Jupiter EX, Doom 3 is on id Tech 4, so they're not the same engine.

*folds arms, looks rather smug* :lol:

I'm on the second island on Crackdown, took me 3 attempts late one night (hence the addictiveness of Crackdown :D) to nail the guy in that bus depot. I kept running out of ammo, did my tits in no end...but I finally nabbed the guy, thanks to increased explosion radius/power. :cool:

acealive1
01-Jul-2007, 07:50 PM
the only reason that damn system is so high is because they decided to attach the new beta to a system that didnt need it. without the blu ray player, it would only be about $300

Danny
02-Jul-2007, 02:51 AM
it is kinda sad to see the franchise fail, since everyone who owned a psone and 2 knows they rocked, best console for rpg adn horror games, and had the most memorable games this side of the dreamcast till this gen, its a shame the 3rd incarnation is an overpriced blu ray player that happens to play a bunch of games noone wants.
in fact just today i go onto live to play crackdown co-op ,since i finished the main game(but you can revive the mobs to do it all over but with your weapons cars and stats) adn i see a freind of mine is logged in, but he got rid of his 3360 for a wii ,then bought a ps2, he sneds me a pm saying "my ps3 was a waste of cash so i got a premium xbox, 10 games and a years live subscription.:rolleyes:

capncnut
02-Jul-2007, 03:05 PM
its a shame the 3rd incarnation is an overpriced blu ray player that happens to play a bunch of games noone wants.
Still too early to tell Hellz, the PS3 is gonna take some time... but give it a another year or so and I think they'll start delivering the goods. My local GameStation geek-kid has said that he has seen an increase of PS3's being sold and more 360's being traded in for PS3's.

Now that I have a PS3 myself, I gotta say that I'm impressed with it. It's nowhere near as precious as my 360 of course, but I just know that when Sony get over this initial slump they will be pulling out titles that will toilet all over Microsoft. They haven't let anyone down yet, let's see it out before we cast judgement.

EvilNed
02-Jul-2007, 03:17 PM
The Star Wars MMORPG wasn't that big. The planets were mostly randomly generated (or it at least seemed like it, because, for instance, Tatooine was just flat desert with some canyons and hills, Naboo was just one big forest). Only thing that really differed on the planets was the height elevation. And as I mentioned, each of the planets wasn't that big to begin with. Overall, I'd say Anarchy Online is the biggest MMORPG out right now, if you include the expansions.

MikePizzoff
02-Jul-2007, 09:40 PM
it is kinda sad to see the franchise fail, since everyone who owned a psone and 2 knows they rocked

Not true. I had PS2 and thought it sucked. Loved PSX, but my PS2, and pretty much EVERY friend I knew that owned one, failed and just stopped reading games. Pieces of junk. I know people that went through many.

But I'm sure people will be saying the same thing about 360 in a few years. Shiv, people already are!

Terran
02-Jul-2007, 10:15 PM
but my PS2, and pretty much EVERY friend I knew that owned one, failed and just stopped reading games. Pieces of junk. I know people that went through many.

Add me to that list....I did not even buy a PS2 till 2 years after it was first released.....and it stopped reading games on me.....

The most annoying thing is there was apparently a recall....and I would have been applicable to get a new PS2....but since I did not even know I had a probelm till a year or two after the recall deadline I couldnt get a new one for free :mad: ....

capncnut
03-Jul-2007, 12:15 PM
Okay, slightly contradictory to my above post but yeah, add me too that list too. BUT, I re-purchased a second hand PS2 (old style) from GameStation some time ago and it's running like clockwork. I'm pretty sure my first couple of PS2's were probably part of that dodgy first batch.

It's also worth noting that from 2002-2004, I got through 3 or 4 Xbox consoles due to various failures.

darth los
03-Jul-2007, 04:23 PM
Okay, slightly contradictory to my above post but yeah, add me too that list too. BUT, I re-purchased a second hand PS2 (old style) from GameStation some time ago and it's running like clockwork. I'm pretty sure my first couple of PS2's were probably part of that dodgy first batch.

It's also worth noting that from 2002-2004, I got through 3 or 4 Xbox consoles due to various failures.

I've been fortunate enough to never have a console break on me. That must sound really wierd to you guys, but from the N.E.S. all the way up to my newest console (360) I've never had a problem. Although that's not unusual for nintendo's consoles. Anyboy ever have a ninty console break on them?:confused:

Danny
03-Jul-2007, 05:12 PM
actually ive never had one jsut break down either, my dreamcast was crushed uner a sledgehammer (dont ask:sneaky: ), and i left a gameboy colour in the un a few years back whenit was like the hotest day in recorded uk history adn the stuff under the screen melted and a big dirty chav crack appeared on the screen.

MinionZombie
03-Jul-2007, 08:09 PM
a big dirty chav crack appeared on the screen.

F*ckin' ewww dude, just f*ckin' EWWW! :eek:

I was reading comments relating to the 360 online a few days ago and someone was going on about one thing might be that some people treat their 360's like a console, which folk might just expect to bash about willy nilly, but really the 360 is a PC in a smaller box, so it requires more respect...it was an intriguing theory.

I don't understand why anyone would be brash and impatient with their console, I treat mine with respect, I do with all my technological stuff, these various technical toys cost a lot of money, plus being a bit of an obsessive/compulsive I'm obsessed with treating them carefully and with respect.

Where was I/were we? F*ck I'm tired out today. :D

darth los
03-Jul-2007, 09:32 PM
F*ckin' ewww dude, just f*ckin' EWWW! :eek:

I was reading comments relating to the 360 online a few days ago and someone was going on about one thing might be that some people treat their 360's like a console, which folk might just expect to bash about willy nilly, but really the 360 is a PC in a smaller box, so it requires more respect...it was an intriguing theory.

I don't understand why anyone would be brash and impatient with their console, I treat mine with respect, I do with all my technological stuff, these various technical toys cost a lot of money, plus being a bit of an obsessive/compulsive I'm obsessed with treating them carefully and with respect.

Where was I/were we? F*ck I'm tired out today. :D

That is an interesting theory. They are getting more and more like pc's allthe time. They have hard drives, ethernet ports, downloadable media. There's no such thing anymore as a device that does just one thing. Phones just don't make phone calls anymore. They also have mp3 players and internet capabilities. The traditional ideas of what a video game console should be is expanding. They are becoming entertainment hubs, capable of doing everything. I fully expect the next gen to have internet browsing capabilities comparable to most pc's and in turn will make consoles a viable alternative.

As for treating consoles roughly. I think people got spoiled with their nes's by blowing into the cartridges and ramming them back in. I'm kinda ocd myself with my consoles as well. Maybe that's why they never break on me. I see how other people treat theirs and it's no wonder why they break down.

Danny
04-Jul-2007, 02:54 AM
yeah same here i treat my 360 like gold, though whenit was put together in the facotry the outer casing was fitted a wee bit losoe so i treat it like its made of glass.

MinionZombie
04-Jul-2007, 09:56 AM
I guess owning a 360 is kinda like owning a sports car, it's awesome, but any little noise and you're going "what was that?!!?", and you treat it so carefully. :)

But aye, I just don't understand people who just bash their consoles around or whatever, have some friggin' respect, all this tech costs money - be it DVD players, TVs, hi-fi's, PCs or consoles or whatever. It's like how people treat their DVDs, I've seen some shocking examples, meanwhile mine are basically all scratch-free and not smudged or anything. I take such great care, because I really appreciate having them, there's no need to be silly when handling them.

darth los
04-Jul-2007, 12:20 PM
I also found out that using those air coolers on the back of the 360 can also mess up the system. They're in between the 360 and the power cord. After a while it becomes wobbly and loose thus severing the power source and causing a malfunction with the unit. This usually results in a red ring. STAY AWAY FROM THAT GUYS !!!

MinionZombie
04-Jul-2007, 04:41 PM
Indeed, always make sure your power cord is securely fastened! Last thing you want is a fluctuated power input thanks to it being loose, same goes for the big brick with the orange light. In fact, all connections need to be checked from time to time, just to make sure everything is hunky dory, especially if you're moving the system around (when it's not switched on that is! :eek:)

Speaking of SexBox, hadn't played it in a couple of days, then returned to GOW today, got past the petrol station ("Powder Keg") level which I'd got stuck on a few days ago and got all "ah f*ck you!" over, haha, second time this afternoon and boshty. Now coming up on half way through Act III.

Once again I'm shy a "dick-in-the-mouth" (to quote Smitty) for this game, in fact, I'm totally Gay-for-GOW. :lol: