PDA

View Full Version : How would average Americans respond to zombies?

MissJacksonCA
29-Jun-2007, 10:14 AM
I think the strength of a zombie infection would be that average Americans simply lack the skill to kill someone whether alive or dead... and the guts to take care of business if zombies ever roamed about... and that people are often generally stupid...

Zombies of course would be the ultimate 'war weapon' because I mean nothing is better than the art of suprise and who's going to expect a zombie is ever going to exist in their lifetime let alone expect that the person approacing them is one of them...

Now take all that into consideration along with i'm willing to say a good lot of Americans dont own guns... (at least that's my personal knowledge i'm sure someone else can give me an idea of whether that's on or not)... but lets say of those who dont own guns... they'd prolly not know their way around a gun even if they found one ...and they'd prolly also be too nutless to kill a zombie with anything from their home (an axe, a ball-peen hammer, crowbar, etc) i'm just thinking most people would be doomed...

Not to mention I just think our government would lack the type of timely response necessary to thwart a zombie crisis ...I think anyone who flees their home to go to a rescue station would basically be lining up for the slaughter at an abattoir.

*I know about everyone I know in Texas has like five guns/shotguns/etc for every person in their familiy even the family dog... but here in South Carolina while gunfire is common as are gun point robberies and deaths... I know maybe 5 people out of say 200 with one. And they only have one or two. In California I knew one person who had a gun, my brother and only becaue he works for the LA sheriffs dept. In Canada a good lot of people had guns but only those who lived at the lake permanently and no one who resided within the major cities. And in Ohio I only knew one person with a gun.*

anyone elses thoughts on the aveage joe and janes of the country? or their country?

sgrosse
29-Jun-2007, 12:13 PM
Well, there are about 80 million gun owners in this country. Thats the documented ones. That dosent take into account of guns that arent registered. So, the average citizen would be able to make a stand against it.

Bubdotd
29-Jun-2007, 06:37 PM
Actualy i have alot of guts, in my family we are very patriotic and we do what has to be done, my grandpa was on omaha beach during world war 2(dday) my uncle flew a helicopter in veitnam and saved lots of lives and everything.

Oh and alot more family members that been in the war. (None in the desert conflict as of yet... eek.(me) hopefully not.

If zombies were around it would be no problem lol if i need guns id go to my uncles house he has tons of guns! lol.

(if you ever seen tremors. a guy named burt had tons of guns) my uncle has around that many.

So i would be ok at least :D

acealive1
29-Jun-2007, 06:53 PM
im sure the gangs and the military would have it under wraps

EvilNed
29-Jun-2007, 08:22 PM
I'll say what I always say, highly populated regions are screwed, whereas smaller ****holes (like Montana) are going to have it pretty easy.

Danny
29-Jun-2007, 10:11 PM
"how would the average american..."?....

...im gonna say, put a bucket on its head, drink beer whilst taking pot shots at it with firearms. get bored. throw said empty beer cans at the bucket head zombie......then set fire to it and go inside haveing felt theyve done a job well done.:p

MissJacksonCA
29-Jun-2007, 10:29 PM
i like hellsings answer...

but guys... focus on AVERAGE americans... not yourselves... we're talking blue collar 9 to 5ers who get stuck in traffic drive honda civics are in debt to their eyeballs and generally look the other way at confrontation and crime... the kinda people who when held up at gun point tell the robbers they can have whatever they want as if he had a choice...

Danny
29-Jun-2007, 10:40 PM
..then my answer still sticks, only maybe something involving ABC or saturday night live involved.

as for us brits wed be forgetting to brush our aweful teeth whilst browning them with fags and tea, notice a zombie say "i say, bugger off you smelly old tramp", then if they didnt leave shut the curtains, if they still didnt leave pop round the back way for some cornettos and cans of coke, to further rot out teeth, amybe a few kebabs, call the police and wait for them to show up.

then die when the zombies amass to a point were they can get in 4 days later.

2 days after that the police show up adn ask your now zombified corpse to fill out a report saying how you would rate there responsiveness:lol:

MissJacksonCA
29-Jun-2007, 10:45 PM
your answers are always the best :mad:

its so sad but prolly true about the cops

cept in the states during the next presidential election they'd be all over 'look at my response to the zombie outbreak'

Danny
29-Jun-2007, 10:51 PM
your answers are always the best :mad:

what can i say ,when it comes to stupid one liners i excel.

...'cept at bustop's, then i'd just be takin' the piss.;)

EvilNed
29-Jun-2007, 10:52 PM

but guys... focus on AVERAGE americans... not yourselves... we're talking blue collar 9 to 5ers who get stuck in traffic drive honda civics are in debt to their eyeballs and generally look the other way at confrontation and crime... the kinda people who when held up at gun point tell the robbers they can have whatever they want as if he had a choice...

Their response would be to fail to act. They'd back away from the zombies until they got caught by one and bitten.

MissJacksonCA
29-Jun-2007, 10:53 PM
didja draw your avatar yourself ned or is it from the creepshow comics?

MaximusIncredulous
29-Jun-2007, 11:15 PM
Well in the cities, the urban professionals would glue a cell phone to their heads and start babbling away right up to when zombies sink their teeth into them. The rest would allow themselves to be herded into "rescue" facilities for slaughter. Gotta do what the man says.

EvilNed
30-Jun-2007, 01:48 PM
didja draw your avatar yourself ned or is it from the creepshow comics?

No, I didn't draw it myself. I'm not that good with computer graphics, but I'm getting better.

It's from an old game called Strife.

sandrock74
30-Jun-2007, 09:01 PM
I hate to say it but the AVERAGE american would be lunch to a ravenous horde of zombies! A person is smart and can survive, but people together are fearful and crazy.

flyboy
30-Jun-2007, 09:47 PM
im sure the gangs and the military would have it under wraps

:lol: :lol:

jim102016
30-Jun-2007, 10:42 PM
A big factor would be one of geographic location when **** hits the fan. You may be some place where people actually respect a firearm, or you may be some place where the frame of mind is one of a pacifist. It may come down to shooting them in the head, or risking your life trying to understand and cater to the bastards.

I sure wouldn't want to be in an Amish community, and I wouldn't want to be in a big city where people are insulated enough from the outside world even without a zombie plague going on. The police and the military would be overwhelmed fast without help from the millions of armchair quarterbacks who would just sit around and bitch. I think it would take a hell of a lot to motivate the majority of the American public into helping out.

Khardis
07-Jul-2007, 02:15 AM
I think the strength of a zombie infection would be that average Americans simply lack the skill to kill someone whether alive or dead... and the guts to take care of business if zombies ever roamed about... and that people are often generally stupid...

Zombies of course would be the ultimate 'war weapon' because I mean nothing is better than the art of suprise and who's going to expect a zombie is ever going to exist in their lifetime let alone expect that the person approacing them is one of them...

Now take all that into consideration along with i'm willing to say a good lot of Americans dont own guns... (at least that's my personal knowledge i'm sure someone else can give me an idea of whether that's on or not)... but lets say of those who dont own guns... they'd prolly not know their way around a gun even if they found one ...and they'd prolly also be too nutless to kill a zombie with anything from their home (an axe, a ball-peen hammer, crowbar, etc) i'm just thinking most people would be doomed...

Not to mention I just think our government would lack the type of timely response necessary to thwart a zombie crisis ...I think anyone who flees their home to go to a rescue station would basically be lining up for the slaughter at an abattoir.

*I know about everyone I know in Texas has like five guns/shotguns/etc for every person in their familiy even the family dog... but here in South Carolina while gunfire is common as are gun point robberies and deaths... I know maybe 5 people out of say 200 with one. And they only have one or two. In California I knew one person who had a gun, my brother and only becaue he works for the LA sheriffs dept. In Canada a good lot of people had guns but only those who lived at the lake permanently and no one who resided within the major cities. And in Ohio I only knew one person with a gun.*

anyone elses thoughts on the aveage joe and janes of the country? or their country?

You dont give people enough credit. I am willing to bet that many would die and many would find ways to survive. I personally think that lots of Americans would pull together and form smaller armed communities. Especially in places like the suburbs, many places can be blocked off, and I dont know about you guys but I know every single person on our little 1 way street. We could have it all barricades and walled off, water from our little stream, lots of guns (most of the guys I know here collect them and stock thier own ammo). Remember that movie Postman? Probably a lot like that.

The people in the cities though would die off, not enough space to plant food or hunt food, and they tend to be the most reliant and not self sufficient people in the country.

Who do you think are the majority of legalized gun owners with the dreaded "arsenals"?

MissJacksonCA
07-Jul-2007, 09:43 AM
Its true I dont give a lot of people credit but there is a reason for that... i've lived in a lot of places and known a ****kickinton of people... and I view most of the people I meet as weak and feeble... even the guy I dated who went to prison for beating a man half to death could cry at the drop of a hat if I made him...

In a way what seperates us from the animals is that we lose touch with instinct. If you get a feeling that somethings wrong you shrug it off like whatever I didn't have enough coffee this morning. If you are attacked by someone your tendency isn't to fight back as much as it is to give that person what they want so they'll go away... not thinking they're gonna murder ya. Not to mention people seem to always think the best of people so they're going to see loved ones being bitten or hurt and rush to help instead of cutting anchor and running. When animals flee an area before a major weather catastrophe its because they can tell... we dont have that. And when faced with the possibility of being eaten alive theres just a ton of people who will kill themselves ...

And to boot... I think that most people are too used to convenience. To being able to drive everywhere, eat whenever they want, whatever they want... they're simply not going to make it very long if they're going to have to actually risk life and limb in order to find food and shelter.

Khardis
07-Jul-2007, 02:17 PM
Its true I dont give a lot of people credit but there is a reason for that... i've lived in a lot of places and known a ****kickinton of people... and I view most of the people I meet as weak and feeble... even the guy I dated who went to prison for beating a man half to death could cry at the drop of a hat if I made him...

In a way what seperates us from the animals is that we lose touch with instinct. If you get a feeling that somethings wrong you shrug it off like whatever I didn't have enough coffee this morning. If you are attacked by someone your tendency isn't to fight back as much as it is to give that person what they want so they'll go away... not thinking they're gonna murder ya. Not to mention people seem to always think the best of people so they're going to see loved ones being bitten or hurt and rush to help instead of cutting anchor and running. When animals flee an area before a major weather catastrophe its because they can tell... we dont have that. And when faced with the possibility of being eaten alive theres just a ton of people who will kill themselves ...

And to boot... I think that most people are too used to convenience. To being able to drive everywhere, eat whenever they want, whatever they want... they're simply not going to make it very long if they're going to have to actually risk life and limb in order to find food and shelter.

Well, you have only to watch what happens in actual crisis situations. During Hurricane Katrina NOLA basically rotted, I have no doubt that would happen to them again along with other major cities. But if you saw what smaller towns etc did during the same crisis it was truly inspiring the way they pulled together.

And you can make anyone cry, if you push their buttons rights. That doesn't make them weak or feeble. Ahem, even Rambo cried in part 1.

jim102016
07-Jul-2007, 02:48 PM
Well, you have only to watch what happens in actual crisis situations. During Hurricane Katrina NOLA basically rotted, I have no doubt that would happen to them again along with other major cities. But if you saw what smaller towns etc did during the same crisis it was truly inspiring the way they pulled together.

And you can make anyone cry, if you push their buttons rights. That doesn't make them weak or feeble. Ahem, even Rambo cried in part 1.

Keep in mind as well, in New Orleans they attempted to confiscate guns within the city when things got bad. I'm glad as hell I was in Mississippi for the hurricane rather than New Orleans. F*ck the cities. While they were good people in New Orleans, there was also a lot of riff-raff that who relied on the government for their existence before the storm. Look at how they made out once the city collapsed.

MissJacksonCA
08-Jul-2007, 02:58 AM
I'm not suprised they took away the guns when things got bad they were trying to prevent crimes. You dont need a gun to survive a hurricane.

Khardis
08-Jul-2007, 03:23 AM
I'm not suprised they took away the guns when things got bad they were trying to prevent crimes. You dont need a gun to survive a hurricane.

Maybe you do, maybe you don't. They had no right to disarm them though. No right WHATSOEVER. And according to some sources, not having a gun just made you a bigger victim when the looting, raping and killing started.

MissJacksonCA
08-Jul-2007, 03:40 AM
Yeah but just because you have a gun doesn't mean youd be any good with it...

Khardis
08-Jul-2007, 03:41 AM

Oh I beg to differ, most legal gun owners are better shots than most cops. Maybe its because our guns aren't our jobs, they are our passions and hobbies and we spend much more time collecting them, and shooting them than most others. And Besides, when someone is crawling through your window you don't need to be "good" with a gun, you don't need to shoot em in the knee or the shoulder or whatever. You aim center mass and send them to hell where they belong. Pretty tough to miss from 10 feet. And thats what most handgun fire is, 5-20 feet.

MissJacksonCA
08-Jul-2007, 03:51 AM
Okay i'm talking about people who buy a gun and keep it in a box in the closet for protection... odds are that person doesn't know how to use it... I'm actually quite suprised with how some people I know can handle their guns... my friend Heather is the worlds biggest moron but she can shoot like its nobodys business... of course her boyfriend doesn't let her keep any guns within reach because he's scared of what might happen if she went to reach one but still... There's a lot of people who enjoy the false sense of security being a gun owner can give you... They go out and buy one but dont really practice ... they just enjoy having one

Khardis
08-Jul-2007, 04:01 AM
Okay i'm talking about people who buy a gun and keep it in a box in the closet for protection... odds are that person doesn't know how to use it... I'm actually quite suprised with how some people I know can handle their guns... my friend Heather is the worlds biggest moron but she can shoot like its nobodys business... of course her boyfriend doesn't let her keep any guns within reach because he's scared of what might happen if she went to reach one but still... There's a lot of people who enjoy the false sense of security being a gun owner can give you... They go out and buy one but dont really practice ... they just enjoy having one

Sounds like Heathers man is a Nancy. She should take him to the range and make a man out of him. And as I said before, you don't need to be good to point and pull a trigger at close range, which home protection always is.

And it isn't false security. Its increased security. Thats a fact. Most people who own guns don't believe in 100% security, they believe in odds. The odds of me surviving an attack without a gun, not good. The odds of me surviving an attack with a gun, I don't practice with, infinitely better than not having one. The odds of me defending myself with a gun I do practice with? Fantastic odds, but not 100%

Better to have and not need, than to need and not have. But you could always call the police and wait as a substitute, that worked out well for the people in New Orleans.

MissJacksonCA
08-Jul-2007, 04:25 AM
Sounds like Heathers man is a Nancy. She should take him to the range and make a man out of him. And as I said before, you don't need to be good to point and pull a trigger at close range, which home protection always is.

And it isn't false security. Its increased security. Thats a fact. Most people who own guns don't believe in 100% security, they believe in odds. The odds of me surviving an attack without a gun, not good. The odds of me surviving an attack with a gun, I don't practice with, infinitely better than not having one. The odds of me defending myself with a gun I do practice with? Fantastic odds, but not 100%

Better to have and not need, than to need and not have. But you could always call the police and wait as a substitute, that worked out well for the people in New Orleans.

That middle part of yours... it was just beautiful man... totally sums up how I personally feel...

mista_mo
08-Jul-2007, 04:34 AM
guns rock

and it prolly was a good idea to disarm the people in New Orleans...i mean...nm everyone knows allready.

i think the adds of the average person to survive would be minimal to low- our lives are our cars, phones, computers, and work. We have become so damned lazy that we drive our cars down the road to get food.

I say low.

but People can adapt...it's the best part of being human...being able to adapt to almost every situation.

darth los
08-Jul-2007, 04:37 AM

You're right you don't. You need one to fend off the looters who'll kill you in order to survive and the rapists who'll surely be lurking about.

MissJacksonCA
08-Jul-2007, 04:50 AM
i'm ruprised there were any rapists around i woulda figured they were all busy looting the stores

Khardis
08-Jul-2007, 04:53 AM
i'm ruprised there were any rapists around i woulda figured they were all busy looting the stores

They were at 1st, when that got boring (there was no electricity to run the TVs and Xboxes they stole) they switched to raping women and murdering people.

darth los
08-Jul-2007, 04:55 AM
I hate to say it but the AVERAGE american would be lunch to a ravenous horde of zombies! A person is smart and can survive, but people together are fearful and crazy.

You mean before or after they shart on themselves?:lol:

MissJacksonCA
08-Jul-2007, 05:04 AM
you'd think at some point they'd kill themselves off... but no...

darth los
08-Jul-2007, 05:07 AM
They were at 1st, when that got boring (there was no electricity to run the TVs and Xboxes they stole) they switched to raping women and murdering people.

Look no further than what happened at the superdome for a glimpse of what it's like when law and order break down and people are waiting for the gov't to restore "normalcy." It'll make anybody go pro NRA in a minute.

Khardis
08-Jul-2007, 05:08 AM
Look no further than what happened at the superdome for a glimpse of what it's like when law and order break down and people are waiting for the gov't to restore "normalcy." It'll make anybody go pro NRA in a minute.

I literally built a "SHTF" bag after that. Stocked with 2 hand guns, lots of ammo, a knife, matches, medical aid, and some dried food. If the SHTF Ill be grabbing that, my riot shotgun and ammo and hopping in my car and taking off.

darth los
08-Jul-2007, 05:11 AM
I literally built a "SHTF" bag after that. Stocked with 2 hand guns, lots of ammo, a knife, matches, medical aid, and some dried food. If the SHTF Ill be grabbing that, my riot shotgun and ammo and hopping in my car and taking off.

It's crazy but it's always the case that in the event of a disaster, whether natural or man made, other humans are the things we have to fear the most.

Khardis
08-Jul-2007, 05:16 AM
It's crazy but it's always the case that in the event of a disaster, whether natural or man made, other humans are the things we have to fear the most.

Oh I agree totally. I grew up in a rough place where there wasn't much law and order, so I know the value of being able to handle a situation on my own. I got my CCW 5 months after I turned 21, and it was 5 months after only because I had to wait for the damned thing to clear.

MissJacksonCA
08-Jul-2007, 05:20 AM
carry a concealed weapon permit? can anyone get one?

Khardis
08-Jul-2007, 05:26 AM
carry a concealed weapon permit? can anyone get one?

Depends on your state. In CT anyone over 21 without a criminal record or without a mental disorder can get one. You Have to complete a hand gun training course, and submit your application to the local police. They put your fingerprints on record and then send them to the FBI for a background check. Once all that clear you get your CCW.

The only legal way to purchase high powered rifles and handguns in CT is if youre a CCW holder, or a Cop.

aljuweind
08-Jul-2007, 09:09 AM
Comment was removed from forum

TheVirginReaper
08-Jul-2007, 01:10 PM
I'm from Kentucky where it was a good house full of guns sort of situation and way far away from town. In that situation things would have worked out. Currently I live in downtown Portland, OR where no one has guns outside of the cops. Like a zombie buffet it be.

jim102016
08-Jul-2007, 03:35 PM
guns rock

and it prolly was a good idea to disarm the people in New Orleans...i mean...nm everyone knows allready.

i think the adds of the average person to survive would be minimal to low- our lives are our cars, phones, computers, and work. We have become so damned lazy that we drive our cars down the road to get food.

I say low.

but People can adapt...it's the best part of being human...being able to adapt to almost every situation.

Probably a good idea to confiscate firearms in New Orleans? Are you mad? Have you ever been there? I challange you to go down there and roam the streets. The National Guard was used in the midst of the aftermath, then brought back in last summer because it was still so bad! Christ, the crime rate was unusally high before the hurricane! I'm no NRA maniac, but what they did was not only stupid but impossible (you think they were all registered?) It was also illegal as the 2nd Amandement to the U.S. Constitution guarantees the right to bear arms. It was a waste of resources that could have been better utilized...maybe food, electricity, medical care?

Where I was at during this wonderful disaster, there were gangs of looters roaming around the neighborhood. Neighbors stealing from neighbors...in a desperate situation like this where resonable people turn into violent savages, one would be stupid and naive not to have a gun to protect their interests. You can't trust anyone when their hurting! If anyone thinks I'm nuts they should wait around for the next disaster and see how fast their 911 calls get answered.

You don't have to be, you probably will just need it as a deterent. I would think as a woman you'd realize better than a man how dangerous things could get. Good luck using your diplomatic skills when you have two or three rapists lunging at your pants. You're posts are always good, but you don't have a clue here. You're in Texas, right? Why don't you take a ride over to where they relocated some of the people from New Orleans (Austin?)...ask them about how their violent crime rate skyrocketed, how the FBI had to build a new database from scratch to track murderers from New Orleans.

darth los
08-Jul-2007, 04:25 PM
I think that Night of the Living Dead is an accurate depiction of what would happen. There would be an initial struggle to survive maybe the first day or two before groups of military, police, and armed citizens swept through and cleared out all the shamblers. I'm sure there would be many suburban and rural areas that would never see any large gatherings of dead.The dead in Romero's world are just too slow and uncoordinated to be of any real threat.

The reason they were a real threat and ultimately won is because of that attitude. People thought it was all a joke in the beginning. Hell, they thought they could get the whole thing wrapped up in 24-72 hours. It was just an extended hunting trip for most. There were barbecue grills and beer as far as the eye could see. Even the national gaurd seemed to be having way too good a time. The dead are unrelenting. You can wipe them all out and there are always going to be more to take their place. Millions of people die every day throughout the world and thus will revive as ghouls. Couple that with the unwillingness of most people to do what has to be done, like ramming a tire iron through their mom's brain for example, and one could easily see how it got to the point that it did.

Exatreides
08-Jul-2007, 11:44 PM
As a member of the national guard and a gun owner (Recently bought my first weapon, a Mosin model 44.)

I can say that the national guard would react slow at first, as there would be difficulty bringing in soldiers from the civilian world right to Armories and Bases in the first few hours of the outbreak.

However, I think that the fact that is a Armory in at least 1 city a county in my state, These could act as strong points from which to launch counter offensives and sweeping movements. The wounded would be quarantined and under constant guard, and at the first sigh of turning would be shot.

The National Guard is not a bunch of jokes anymore these days, the majority of national guard troops are combat vets.

The civilians with the weapons would be organized and drilled into basic militia when not fighting, since the National Guard itself was founded on the concept of the civilian soldier, and can trace it's root's back to the founding of the first militia in Massachusetts in 1636(Making it the oldest branch in the military). These militia would act as back up troops, and would be trained as time went on.

The food and housing situation at the Armory might be a problem, I'm sure there would be enough MRE's for a full company or two, Civlians would stretch this, and it could lead to problems, sanitation, ammunition, medicine and water could also lead to problems.

While the large bases (Camp Ateberry here in Indiana for the Nat Guard, Grisom Air force base for the chair force, could serve as large staging points for counter attacks within the state. the Armories could clear local area's scavaging for food and ammo as they went through the cities.

Vehicles's and fuel would be a problem after the first couple weeks, and Infantry would be forced to scavage for fuel for vehicles and revert to foot patrols.

Another factor is what time of the year it would be. Here in Indiana, if a major outbreak happened, the foot shortage could be handled by simply taking corn out of the field.

Indiana's flat terrain would also be ideal during the winter for clearing groups of shamblers in the distance. The corn would hamper this during the summer.

Which brings another interesting question, how would our military fare given that they are currently deployed over sea's?

aljuweind
09-Jul-2007, 04:18 AM
comment removed from post

jim102016
09-Jul-2007, 02:35 PM
The U.S. military has been deployed overseas since World War II. Hell, even before that. The national guard has always had its good and bad, but it'll always be substandard to active duty forces.

The issue is not how many uniformed personnel can be mobilized, but getting the public mobilized and aware of what's going on. And, even harder, getting them want to help the government rather than just sitting around relying on it. America is a large country...without the quick support of the majority, the struggle would be over quickly

darth los
09-Jul-2007, 04:02 PM
And, even harder, getting them want to help the government rather than just sitting around relying on it.

I think you're spot on with that one. If katrina taught us anything is that the majority of people are either unable, unwilling or ill suited to help themselves in the event of a major catastrophe. This leads me to conclude that in the event of a zombie plauge most of the population wouldn't stand a chance.

sandrock74
09-Jul-2007, 09:38 PM
Too many people are helpless in ANY type of stressfull situation! Something out of the ordinary happens and they fall apart. I know people like this...we probably all do. They would be the ones to help doom everyone.

darth los
09-Jul-2007, 10:11 PM
Too many people are helpless in ANY type of stressfull situation! Something out of the ordinary happens and they fall apart. I know people like this...we probably all do. They would be the ones to help doom everyone.

We'd like to think it's just a few when in reality it's about 90% of the population. If you took technology away these people would be dead in a month. They have no idea how to survive or live off the land. If all the supermarkets suddenly disappeared people would starve to death because they have no idea how to get their food any other way.

Yojimbo
10-Jul-2007, 02:10 AM
Maybe you do, maybe you don't. They had no right to disarm them though. No right WHATSOEVER. And according to some sources, not having a gun just made you a bigger victim when the looting, raping and killing started.

Amen. You should have seen Los Angeles in 1992. Everyone wanted to own a piece during the riots, and many in the city actually needed one. And that was just looters and thieves as an adversarial element. Add ghouls to the equation, no police response and you will bet that even pacifists would be out there rethinking their philosophies.

darth los
10-Jul-2007, 02:16 AM
Amen. You should have seen Los Angeles in 1992. Everyone wanted to own a piece during the riots, and many in the city actually needed one. And that was just looters and thieves. Add ghouls to the equation, no police response and you will bet that even pacifists would be out there rethinking their philosophies.

Pacifits usually spout their philosophies from the comfort of their homes or a safe place. Most of them have never even sniffed a zone where there was turmoil. The bottom line is that the constitution garautees us the right to bear arms. If they don't like it move to france.

sandrock74
10-Jul-2007, 04:31 AM
We'd like to think it's just a few when in reality it's about 90% of the population. If you took technology away these people would be dead in a month. They have no idea how to survive or live off the land. If all the supermarkets suddenly disappeared people would starve to death because they have no idea how to get their food any other way.

Thats what I mean exactly! Not too mention people who would REFUSE to destroy a zombie. They would be the first to be "converted" and that would be like 90% of the population!
Yikes!
On the bright side of things...I think the more "primative" societies that live in places in Africa and Australia would fare much better than the rest of us. Just a hunch I have...

MissJacksonCA
10-Jul-2007, 04:41 AM
I concur most people are absolutely useless during a crisis. At work one night we smelled fire... my manager and I walked into the back and one of the cooks in their infinite wisdom left a plastic tub full of grits on the stove and of course it began to burn... my boss just kinda stood there as the fire grew so I had to make like superchick and throw the flaming bin across the room into the sink and grab the fire extinguisher to put out the random flameage on the stove from the grits that were burning around the thing... funny enough my boss told me to clean up the mess I made... I told him to clean it him bloody self...

But I mean even in a more serious situation most people are onlookers... rubberneckers... and the like... they see something bad happening or hear of something bad happening and they wanna have a look see... hence the curiosity killed the cat... which would give zombies the advantage and thus part of why we'd be doomed

sandrock74
10-Jul-2007, 04:45 AM
I concur most people are absolutely useless during a crisis. At work one night we smelled fire... my manager and I walked into the back and one of the cooks in their infinite wisdom left a plastic tub full of grits on the stove and of course it began to burn... my boss just kinda stood there as the fire grew so I had to make like superchick and throw the flaming bin across the room into the sink and grab the fire extinguisher to put out the random flameage on the stove from the grits that were burning around the thing... funny enough my boss told me to clean up the mess I made... I told him to clean it him bloody self...

But I mean even in a more serious situation most people are onlookers... rubberneckers... and the like... they see something bad happening or hear of something bad happening and they wanna have a look see... hence the curiosity killed the cat... which would give zombies the advantage and thus part of why we'd be doomed

Heh, heh, heh. HA, HA, HA!!
You said "grits".

MissJacksonCA
10-Jul-2007, 04:49 AM
I dont know what they are and I dont eat them... they're nasty! Like collards... i'd have to die before eating them by choice...

sandrock74
10-Jul-2007, 04:52 AM
I dont know what they are and I dont eat them... they're nasty! Like collards... i'd have to die before eating them by choice...

Ha, ha, ha! You said "collards"! Isn't that fake food, like from Narnia?

MissJacksonCA
10-Jul-2007, 04:54 AM
dont worry sandy... if it rained brains you wont get wet... :p jk

collards and grits are traditional foods of the south and more of an acquired taste...

mista_mo
10-Jul-2007, 04:55 AM
Probably a good idea to confiscate firearms in New Orleans? Are you mad? Have you ever been there? I challange you to go down there and roam the streets

nope never been to New Orleans, and never paln on going. It is a ****hole and the hurricane showed that the citys defenses were shoddily built and in desperate need of repair. Hell, I wouldn't roam the streets of Ottawa by myself, even if it isn't as violent as NO, many gangs still reside their, and their is alot of murders.

Simply put, i wouldn't "roam" in any large city, espcially one where it is well known that violence is an occurance.

MontagMOI
10-Jul-2007, 08:18 PM
..as for us brits wed be forgetting to brush our aweful teeth whilst browning them with fags and tea, notice a zombie say "i say, bugger off you smelly old tramp", then if they didnt leave shut the curtains, if they still didnt leave pop round the back way for some cornettos and cans of coke, to further rot out teeth, amybe a few kebabs, call the police and wait for them to show up.

then die when the zombies amass to a point were they can get in 4 days later.

2 days after that the police show up adn ask your now zombified corpse to fill out a report saying how you would rate there responsiveness:lol:

You are so right. But i would also be wearing a bowler hat and would try to fight off the zombies with an umbrella.
I would also use the phrase 'Excuse me, old chap' when i try to pass the zombies. :D

"If possible Sir, only.. if.. possible"

aljuweind
11-Jul-2007, 12:22 AM
comment was removed from post

darth los
11-Jul-2007, 02:38 AM
nope never been to New Orleans, and never paln on going. It is a ****hole and the hurricane showed that the citys defenses were shoddily built and in desperate need of repair. Hell, I wouldn't roam the streets of Ottawa by myself, even if it isn't as violent as NO, many gangs still reside their, and their is alot of murders.

Simply put, i wouldn't "roam" in any large city, espcially one where it is well known that violence is an occurance.

Roaming a large city would be suicide. Roger said it best: "We gotta stay in the sticks."

sandrock74
11-Jul-2007, 02:56 AM
Roaming a large city would be suicide. Roger said it best: "We gotta stay in the sticks."

About that at least, Roger was right.

MissJacksonCA
11-Jul-2007, 04:32 AM
You are so right. But i would also be wearing a bowler hat and would try to fight off the zombies with an umbrella.
I would also use the phrase 'Excuse me, old chap' when i try to pass the zombies. :D

"If possible Sir, only.. if.. possible"

oh damn that would be so funny

darth los
11-Jul-2007, 05:20 PM

You should have told him to kiss your grits. Being that you're a woman and had to save him i bet you'll never let him live that one down.

MissJacksonCA
11-Jul-2007, 05:31 PM
I never let him live a lot of things down... like the time he took me into the office to show me porn the owners of the restaurant emailed him... good blackmail tool to become bartender...

darth los
11-Jul-2007, 06:08 PM
But the simple fact is that the living dead, Romero-style, are simply too ineffective to be a threat.

I find it odd that you could make such an assertion. I've never faced hordes of the living dead as i'm sure you havne't either. What about our gov't instill you with the confidence that they could handle an unrelenting catastrophe of that magnitude. There is however plenty of evidence to the contrary, that they are incomptant.

aljuweind
11-Jul-2007, 08:12 PM
comment removed from forum

darth los
12-Jul-2007, 12:03 AM
Here's my thing. everything is not so clinical as that and there are other factors to consider. The religious, political and psychological ramifications of such an event cannot be discounted. People would be a mess. At first people would deal with it out of self defense but there are sure to be debates that take place that question what we are doing and how best to go about the problem. This would stifle progress.

What you said sounds great on paper and is the right way to go but i think GAR hit it on the head when MR. Berman said "people aren't willing to accept your solutions." People would be in shock and would hesitate to do what has to be done. Who knows how people will react under the strain of that situation. You also have to factor in the chaos that other humans would cause that might get in the way of that objective. Just because we're all alive doesn't mean we're on the same page or have the same agenda.

Furthermore, as i stated earlier. It's impossible to wrap up because there will be millions of new ghouls rising daily throuout the world. I haven't heard you address that point yet. If anything it would bring about a new world order where we would have to be ever vigilant about immediately disposing of the bodies of the dead. Terminally ill people would probably be quarantined as well for fear that they might turn when no one is watching or allowed to turn by sympathetic family members. Remember, human nature must be factored into all equations. The good qualities as well as the evil ones that most certainly lurk within the hearts of men.

aljuweind
12-Jul-2007, 12:27 AM
comment removed from post

darth los
12-Jul-2007, 01:37 AM
The initial death rate will be astronomical but will fall back to more reasonable levels as the whole situation is developed and brought under further control. The positive side of things is that we will have more ammunition than walking corpses and this is what will save the still-breathing population.

Those are fair points you made but i was thinking more along the line of the millions who die daily from natural causes like disease and old age, etc. There's really no way to stem that tide.

wyvern1096
12-Jul-2007, 01:41 AM
Gun Ownership: nearly everyone I know owns at least one gun, usually around 3 or 4. We must hang out with different crowds. :)

While a lot of people are non-confrontational I would hope that goes out the window when thier families are in danger. I'm a nice guy but if someone is a danger to the safety of my wife or kids it's three rounds center mass.

I carry a gun everywhere. I wear a seatbelt everywhere too, and for the same reason--just in case.

darth los
12-Jul-2007, 01:47 AM
Gun Ownership: nearly everyone I know owns at least one gun, usually around 3 or 4. We must hang out with different crowds. :)

While a lot of people are non-confrontational I would hope that goes out the window when thier families are in danger. I'm a nice guy but if someone is a danger to the safety of my wife or kids it's three rounds center mass.

I carry a gun everywhere. I wear a seatbelt everywhere too, and for the same reason--just in case.

That's a good philosophy. I also would do anything to protect my wife and kids and i'm sure that most would agree with that. Where we live however is like apples and oranges. I live in nyc and it's virtually impossible to get a carry permit or even a gun for that matter. They don't want us armed. The crime rate is high enough here. I don't agree with it but that's thier rationale. I don't want to speculate but perhaps it's because big cities have a higher minority rate and the the municipality doesn't want them carrying guns. It's unfortunate that we can't exercise our constitutional right out here. Do you live in a city? Cause i've been to rural areas and if you need it places where you can get help are few and far between. By the time you call the cops and they arrive a half hour later you and your family could be dead and that's unacceptable.

aljuweind
12-Jul-2007, 03:07 AM
comment was removed.

wyvern1096
16-Jul-2007, 10:25 PM
That's a good philosophy. I also would do anything to protect my wife and kids and i'm sure that most would agree with that. Where we live however is like apples and oranges. I live in nyc and it's virtually impossible to get a carry permit or even a gun for that matter. They don't want us armed. The crime rate is high enough here. I don't agree with it but that's thier rationale. I don't want to speculate but perhaps it's because big cities have a higher minority rate and the the municipality doesn't want them carrying guns. It's unfortunate that we can't exercise our constitutional right out here. Do you live in a city? Cause i've been to rural areas and if you need it places where you can get help are few and far between. By the time you call the cops and they arrive a half hour later you and your family could be dead and that's unacceptable.

Yes, I live in a large city, but it is Kentucky where gun ownership is pretty common. Police response to emergencies can vary wildly, depends on the area and the (I think) phase of the moon. However, I moved up here from rural Alabama. While police response would take quite some time, chances are your nieghbor would be over with his 12-gauge to help pretty quick. Now admitedly a response by a law enforcement or government agency would be able to bring a lot more firepower to bear but I think there is something to be said for a community that looks out for itself.

darth los
17-Jul-2007, 12:29 AM
I think there is something to be said for a community that looks out for itself.

And i bet that you have a very low crime rate. It's the same with bullies, they don't bother people who they know will give them trouble and will stand up for themselves. They like easy targets.

Yojimbo
17-Jul-2007, 02:04 AM

I live in a big city, Los Angeles, CA where, at best, the police response to a 911 call can take up to 20 minutes. That is 20 whole minutes without help!

During the 1992 riots (or "uprising" if you prefer) the police were virtually nonexistent during the first few days of turmoil. They literally refused to respond to 911 calls, either because they felt outgunned or (more likely) because they felt miffed at being criticized for the Rodney King beating and wanted to show civilians what it was like to not have cops around. I had loaned a friend of mine a .357 Magnum during that time for her protection, and on the second night of the mayhem someone was outside of her house attempting to kick her door in. Calls to 911 resulted in her being told to defend herself in any way she felt she had to. The dispatcher also definitively said that no police response would be coming. Luckily, for the idiot outside of the house, she was not a trigger happy person, and instead of blowing the assaliant away she called the neighborhood private security (being a middle class area the neighborhood had it's own private security patrol-- nearly a necessity in Los Angeles if you don't want your house constantly broken into) and the rent-a-cops were able to subdue the assaliant outside and take him into custody. So, she was lucky that there was security in her neighborhood, but she sure felt safer with the magnum in her hand. If that guy had managed to get through her front door she may have had to use it to defend herself!

It is indeed a shame that those of you in New York are virtually barred from being able to lawfully own a gun in order to protect yourself and your family. On the issue of this being a result of the police wishing to keep the guns out of the hands of minorities, however, I think you are half right. Police officers are allowed to carry guns practically with impunity and they feel safer if NO ONE ELSE HAS THIS RIGHT.

I personally don't like to think of myself as right wing or conservative, but on the issue of gun control I will go the NRA way, redneck image be damned. It is a matter of constitutional right and (for those of us who live in cities) a matter of self preservation.

darth los
17-Jul-2007, 02:42 AM
I see it as the authority in this country comes from it's people. We actually have the right to bear arms AND form a well regulated militia, a fact that is often overlooked by those who cite the second ammendment. We cannot allow the gov't to have exclusive access to anything, especially firearms. If it came down to it we would have no way of defending ourslves against external threats, including the gov't itself. Now i realize that their weapons are far more advanced than ours would be and we wouldn't stand a chance against their military grade weaponry but we must not be detered from exercising our constitutional right because of that fact.

coma
17-Jul-2007, 03:44 AM
You even have to have a permit for a RIFLE kept in your home in City limits. Is there anywhere else in the US where that is the case?

darth los
17-Jul-2007, 04:02 AM
You even have to have a permit for a RIFLE kept in your home in City limits. Is there anywhere else in the US where that is the case?

I have never heard of it anywhere else. In fact everyone i speak to from other parts of the country are horrified when they hear about this. If they want to have the same thing in their states all they have to do is elect Guliani.:D He does have alot to do with it you know. Got to love that imperialistic attitude. Hey as a matter of fact we have that in the white house now.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x62/darthlos/darth_vader_cheney.jpg

Yojimbo
19-Jul-2007, 01:44 AM

In the Los Angeles CA when I was 18 you could walk into a store and buy a rifle or shotgun (even a semi-automatic version of a paramillitary weapon) and walk out the door with it on the same day. No registration was needed, no permit, no nothing. They have since changed the law, mostly to stem the tide of illegal gun dealing, and now all firearms must be registered at the time of sale, there is a waiting period before you can take possession, and you have to pass a safety and compentency test before you can purchase any firearm. You are not allowed to purchase more than a preset amount of firearms per month (I think 2, but I may be mistaken) and your application can be rejected with little recourse offered.

Permits to carry concealed weapons -- handguns more precisely -- can be issued to private citizens, but this happens rarely in Los Angeles and from what I heard it is a costly venture. I have heard that other states are a little more lenient regarding these issues, and I do know that there are states that are much more totalitarian in their regulations, so being somewhere in the middle of the two I consider myself lucky (though maybe not as free as those of you in Texas)

At least I'm not in the U.K., though, I am sure that fellow posters from across the way will verify that they are so overegulated there that they cannot even carry a knife in their pockets (something that practically everyone here in Los Angeles, or at least from my neighborhood, does without thinking. And in Japan, they make people register kitchen knives with the local police box!

MissJacksonCA
19-Jul-2007, 01:46 AM
what's the rule of law guiding sales of weapons at gun shows? anyone?

Yojimbo
19-Jul-2007, 01:55 AM
what's the rule of law guiding sales of weapons at gun shows? anyone?

In California, I know that any sale of a firearm, even between private citizens, must be brokered by a licensed dealer. I have heard, but cannot verify for certain, that the regulation goes as far as to say that the dealer must have a physical streetfront store address in order to qualify. So, this means that if I go to a gunshow and want to buy some nifty .22 rifle, the seller and I would have to contact a dealer at a local firearm retailer to have him deal with the process and the paperwork, kind of like the seller would be selling on consignment. This adds a lot of paperwork and cost to the transaction, of course, but it is supposed to be in our best interests, so who knows?

This does not apply, as far as I have heard, to smoothbore, muzzle loaded firearms (such as a musket, or a flintlock pistol) that cannot accept metal cartridges, but I have been told would apply to a blackpowder repeating pistol, such as those civil war era cap and ball pistols with the percussion cap primers. Pretty sucky, though, for anyone who collects guns or anyone who simply wants a low cost gun to keep at home for self-defense.

darth los
19-Jul-2007, 02:06 AM
In California, I know that any sale of a firearm, even between private citizens, must be brokered by a licensed dealer. I have heard, but cannot verify for certain, that the regulation goes as far as to say that the dealer must have a physical streetfront store address in order to qualify.

I know the rationale bhind it but as a legal matter that seems kind of fishy. How is it the gov'ts/job to regulate the sale of private property between two private citizens? In most cases the gov't would make the case that there's a compelling state interest at stake but i would still love to see it argued in court. I guess that's just the legal nerd in me. :D

MissJacksonCA
19-Jul-2007, 02:13 AM
I think the government should make time to regulate gun shows sales of firearms of any kind and of everything else that's sold there. Having attended several in Ohio they were selling guns without any serious paperwork or issues which actually wasn't as bothersome as the manuals on how to kill people and how to make homemade bombs with tools from under the average kitchen sink...

Bear in mind that was all around 97-98

Yojimbo
19-Jul-2007, 04:39 PM
I think the government should make time to regulate gun shows sales of firearms of any kind and of everything else that's sold there. Having attended several in Ohio they were selling guns without any serious paperwork or issues which actually wasn't as bothersome as the manuals on how to kill people and how to make homemade bombs with tools from under the average kitchen sink...

Bear in mind that was all around 97-98

As much as I hate the government getting all up in my biznezz, I have to say that on a large level I agree with MissJackson. Prior to the regulation changes, I had attended several gun shows and must say that it was a free for all. Practically everyone was walking around with firearms, some presumably loaded. I even saw a few teenagers holding what appeared to be chinese knockoffs of AK-47s wearing bandoliers of ammo. I could almost feel the spot on my back where I knew I was going to be shot by accident.

There were police badges, official ones, on sale. Like MissJackson said, there were anarchist manuals on bomb making, silencer construction, and how-to-kill in 10 easy steps. I am all for freedom of the press and speech, but these manuals, frankly, are a little too dangerous to be in easy reach of the general public (now I sound like a fascist!)

Funny thing is, though, the last gunshow I went to after the regs came into effect still had idiots walking around with loaded weapons and still had Poor Man's James Bond books on sale. The only real noticable difference was the addition of a few local gun retailer booths where private citizens could out their guns out to market on consignment. So, with all the noise and great fanfare that saw these laws go into effect, they only really managed to add a little more red tape to the sales. Guns were still being sold big time.

coma
19-Jul-2007, 04:44 PM
There were police badges, official ones, on sale. Like MissJackson said, there were anarchist manuals on bomb making, silencer construction, and how-to-kill in 10 easy steps. I am all for freedom of the press and speech, but these manuals, frankly, are a little too dangerous to be in easy reach of the general public (now I sound like a fascist!)
And crap like the Turner Diaries and all the NAzi memorablia. Its not like its WW2 stuff in general, its mostly Nazi goods. Very Odd.
Yeah, I have been to more than a few gun shows.

MissJacksonCA
19-Jul-2007, 04:46 PM
Well the thing is it really hits home for me because my step father actually tried to break into my mothers home and was armed with a weapon of unknown origin... while my mother wasn't home I was and if you saw this guy when his temper struck it would put the fear of God into anyone... needless to say after their divorce and the brain tumor he said she gave him he was most interested in killing her... unknown still is whether my dad hired him to kill her like he hired him to marry her... long story short he was arrested but she still lives with the constant fear he'll kill her ...unregulated weapons and how-to-kill guides make it all the more easy for people to murder. Ironically the Hitman book was taken off the market by their publisher from Colorado but sadly the problem is how many more books are out there that illustrate the same thing. Unfortunately the murder of a paraplegic boy, his nurse, and his mother was sensational enough to rid the country of Hitman but so few crimes are newsworthy enough of outing other hitman books.

I understand a persons right to privacy. But apparently there isn't a right to safety. If you buy a book, a gun, a guide to making bombs you should have to register with some kind of government registry... if you truly are not plotting world domination or something bad and are purely looking for something entertaining what have you to fear?

Yojimbo
19-Jul-2007, 04:54 PM
Well the thing is it really hits home for me because my step father actually tried to break into my mothers home and was armed with a weapon of unknown origin... while my mother wasn't home I was and if you saw this guy when his temper struck it would put the fear of God into anyone... needless to say after their divorce and the brain tumor he said she gave him he was most interested in killing her... unknown still is whether my dad hired him to kill her like he hired him to marry her... long story short he was arrested but she still lives with the constant fear he'll kill her ...unregulated weapons and how-to-kill guides make it all the more easy for people to murder. Ironically the Hitman book was taken off the market by their publisher from Colorado but sadly the problem is how many more books are out there that illustrate the same thing. Unfortunately the murder of a paraplegic boy, his nurse, and his mother was sensational enough to rid the country of Hitman but so few crimes are newsworthy enough of outing other hitman books.

I understand a persons right to privacy. But apparently there isn't a right to safety. If you buy a book, a gun, a guide to making bombs you should have to register with some kind of government registry... if you truly are not plotting world domination or something bad and are purely looking for something entertaining what have you to fear?

There you have a prime example of the problems posed by irresponsible books such as these.

Certainly, I have a right to this information under the law. But like they say, my right to swing my fist ends where your nose begins.

I guess the argument could be made that MissJackson's mother is a prime example of a woman who desperately needs to be issued a permit to carry, though she may need some silver bullets to deal with this guy. Tipped with rat poison.

Yojimbo
19-Jul-2007, 04:54 PM

There you have a prime example of the problems posed by irresponsible books such as these.

Certainly, I have a right to this information under the law. But like they say, my right to swing my fist ends where your nose begins.

I guess the argument could be made that MissJackson's mother is a prime example of a woman who desperately needs to be issued a permit to carry, though she may need some silver bullets to deal with this guy. Tipped with rat poison.

MissJacksonCA
19-Jul-2007, 05:46 PM
fortunately my mother is too inept to use a gun, mace, or a taser she'd only end up hurting herself lol...

and similarly the devils right hand man is dying a slow painful death... that's what'cha get for messin with the jacksons

Yojimbo
19-Jul-2007, 05:55 PM
fortunately my mother is too inept to use a gun, mace, or a taser she'd only end up hurting herself lol...

and similarly the devils right hand man is dying a slow painful death... that's what'cha get for messin with the jacksons

BTW: A little off topic and personal, but you should seriously think about getting your mother a restraining order from the court if you have not yet done so. I had a family member who suffered from Paranoid Schizophrenia, at it once got so bad and dangerous for the family that we had to resort to a restraining order and once that was violated we had to have him arrested. He eventually got some help and was prescribed meds, so it had a happy ending, but I know how difficult living with this sort of thing is.

Almost as good as a gun -- and in many ways superior --- is a nice big protective dog for your mom. A German Shepard or a Rottweiler comes to mind (I shy away from Pitts as being too unpredictable, but a Boxer is a nice exception) but really any loyal dog, even a mutt, is fantastic protection and a great companion too! If you can, get a puppy. They are wicked cute and lovable, and bonding will be quick and easy. Dogs are the only companions that will truly love you unconditionally, and will willingly die for you if need be.

MissJacksonCA
19-Jul-2007, 06:04 PM
thanks for the tip but she actually had a restraining order on him when he tried to break in... she got it after taking him to the emergency room because he had possible symptoms of a heart attack... which was where they discovered the brain tumor he had and it was so severe he had to have emergency surgery... couple that with the house burning down a week before and when he was released from the hospital he went after her and she fled to her car where he bashed in the car window etc... she managed to escape without harm but I mean from my experience on it its just paper... at the time she was attacked she had a large Akita with a tremendous appetite for anyone who she didn't like but the flaw is... if someone wants to get you they'll kill your dog... (discovered that first hand btw)

he has no hope at finding her because i'm the one person who knows where she lives and frankly you could torture me and i'd never tell... she should be concerned about whether my dad ever finds her but he'd be hard pressed to because i'm big on paper shredders and not trusting anyone who I meet and keeping any documents in a safe deposit box... unfortunately if you want to live a life of safety you have to go to extreme measures and realize that there's no real way to protect yourself ...a home alarm merely notifies you of a problem... a dog is the first thing that will be killed to get to you... a gun can't be carried and aimed at everyone who could be out to get you... a bodyguard can't be trusted because there's always someone who could pay them even more than you do to look the other way...

i meant what i said in another post... i trust no one... my life has been such that i can't afford to ...but thats okay i enjoy my life despite all

Yojimbo
19-Jul-2007, 06:13 PM
thanks for the tip but she actually had a restraining order on him when he tried to break in... she got it after taking him to the emergency room because he had possible symptoms of a heart attack... which was where they discovered the brain tumor he had and it was so severe he had to have emergency surgery... couple that with the house burning down a week before and when he was released from the hospital he went after her and she fled to her car where he bashed in the car window etc... she managed to escape without harm but I mean from my experience on it its just paper... at the time she was attacked she had a large Akita with a tremendous appetite for anyone who she didn't like but the flaw is... if someone wants to get you they'll kill your dog... (discovered that first hand btw)

he has no hope at finding her because i'm the one person who knows where she lives and frankly you could torture me and i'd never tell... she should be concerned about whether my dad ever finds her but he'd be hard pressed to because i'm big on paper shredders and not trusting anyone who I meet and keeping any documents in a safe deposit box... unfortunately if you want to live a life of safety you have to go to extreme measures and realize that there's no real way to protect yourself ...a home alarm merely notifies you of a problem... a dog is the first thing that will be killed to get to you... a gun can't be carried and aimed at everyone who could be out to get you... a bodyguard can't be trusted because there's always someone who could pay them even more than you do to look the other way...

i meant what i said in another post... i trust no one... my life has been such that i can't afford to ...but thats okay i enjoy my life despite all

Sorry to hear about all the trouble, and especially sorry about your mom having to hide and the dog being killed. You have a difficult situation, and it is sad that it has affected the way you relate with people, but completely understandable.

Yes, it is true that if someone is really determined to get you then no protective measure will guarantee your safety (I mean, if they can't even protect the president from someone like Hinkely, then who is really safe, right?) but a fatalistic attitude towards it all doesn't do you or your loved ones any good, any more than making your life unpleasant. You must be one tough girl, since it seems that apart from your unwillingness to trust folks (and who could blame you) you seem to be dealing with it OK.

darth los
19-Jul-2007, 06:42 PM
Is that kind of life worth living. Life is all about love and making connections with people. Without that, what's the use. You're just an empty shell waiting to die. I equate it to their situation in dawn. They had all the wordly goods they could possibly want and were very comfortable. But there was still something missing. They were't really living, they were just existing. I'm not disparaging you or anything and no offesne but you have to do some serious introspection.

MissJacksonCA
19-Jul-2007, 06:48 PM
my life is worth living... jeezus what'cha trying to make me suicidal... I have acquaintance friends I enjoy spending time with but I just dont talk about my personal life with them... or if I do I speak of it superficially and dont divulge what needs to be left private... gosh... and its not like even way back when life was perfect I spoke of anything within my family anyway... And I do trust someone that being my boyfriend though a little less everyday now that I think he's cheating on me but hey... c'est la vie... I live more than most people just because I dont have that closeness with people doesn't make my life bad... in a few years I plan to adopt and right now i'm in the midst of buying a restaurant to run in the summer... while I can't trust people because of my family or past that's no big woo... People trust me and i'm there for 'em that makes me just plum happy...

Yojimbo
19-Jul-2007, 07:02 PM
my life is worth living... jeezus what'cha trying to make me suicidal... I have acquaintance friends I enjoy spending time with but I just dont talk about my personal life with them... or if I do I speak of it superficially and dont divulge what needs to be left private... gosh... and its not like even way back when life was perfect I spoke of anything within my family anyway... And I do trust someone that being my boyfriend though a little less everyday now that I think he's cheating on me but hey... c'est la vie... I live more than most people just because I dont have that closeness with people doesn't make my life bad... in a few years I plan to adopt and right now i'm in the midst of buying a restaurant to run in the summer... while I can't trust people because of my family or past that's no big woo... People trust me and i'm there for 'em that makes me just plum happy...

No worries, I don't think you are a candidate for a lockdown. I think that people can get the wrong impression by your statements (that you don't trust anyone, etc,) but you seem balanced to me to be certain. With what you are going through with your stepdad and mom, I can understand why there would be a reluctance to share this info with your "friends" (why would they need to know anyways?) I think people here at the boards who correspond with you on a regular basis think of you in some way as a friend and they don't want anyone they consider to be their friend to be unhappy or self-inflict misery. Comments made in this vein I am certain are made in the spirit of friendship, whether you welcome the comments or their friendship or not.

MissJacksonCA
19-Jul-2007, 07:06 PM
i like to think of everyone here as a frienemy lol

darth los
19-Jul-2007, 07:15 PM
my life is worth living... jeezus what'cha trying to make me suicidal..

No i'm just trying to help you as hard as that may be for you to believe. But in the end a person has to help themselves.