PDA

View Full Version : Horror films that are really scary.

EvilNed
30-Jun-2007, 05:08 PM
Usually, a horror film isn't scary. But a scary horror film is always a good horror film (but a good horror film doesn't have to be a scary one). These films are very rare and hard to come by, yet we all enjoy sitting down in the dark and putting a really scary flick on. So, come on let's provide some films. I know there must be films out there that I've missed.

Here's a film that most of you have probably seen, but still was pretty damn scary to me. Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things creeped me out so bad. Unlike most films, this one doesn't start off right away. Rather it takes an hour to develop the characters, the situation and the creepiness before all hell breaks loose. And it freaked me out. The eerie music and the excellent script and direction really helped. Once the dead rise, you get a feeling of pure hopelessness.

MinionZombie
30-Jun-2007, 05:47 PM
The Thing (1982) - that film freaks the sh*t out of me. The isolation and claustrophobia that you feel while watching it seals that deal, no doubts about it.

darth los
30-Jun-2007, 06:46 PM
The last house on the left- Aside from it being sick , what really scares me is the feeling that it's real. The grittiness of it is very unerving to watch.

MikePizzoff
30-Jun-2007, 07:11 PM
The Hills Have Eyes is pretty damn scary to think about when you're camping out in the middle of the desert, about 30 miles from the closest civilization.

If I Die Before I Wake has always scared the shiv out of me. One of the best independent horror films, in my opinion.

darth los
30-Jun-2007, 07:31 PM
I know most of you won't agree but "13 ghosts" has also scared me as well. It's really creepy to watch alone because for all you know there could be one of those deranged looking sitting right next to you. :eek:

CornishCorpse
30-Jun-2007, 09:29 PM
Threads? The BBC film on what would happen if a Nuke exploded over the channel and how it would effect the country. Since Im british this hit me hard plus the thing goes on and on getting worse and worse and worse..After watching this I decided my biggest fear in the world is Nuclear war.

I cant think of any others but will try again later..Oh the Texas Chainsaw Massacre original was terrifying when I was young and caught it on channel four at the fine age of ten. Had to flick channels back and forth :lol: Now its one of my favourites.

Philly_SWAT
30-Jun-2007, 11:00 PM
Here's a film that most of you have probably seen, but still was pretty damn scary to me. Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things creeped me out so bad.
The scariest thing to me about CSPWDT is that some guy would volunteer to be buried alive, under a LOT of dirt, on an island, while his friends who buried him LEAVE THE ISLAND??!?? to go back to the mainland to get someone to bring them back, have them dig up the grave, just to scare them that someone was alive in the grave. The shock would have lasted only a few seconds, but the guy would be buried for OVER AN HOUR!!! Who would volunteer for this? What is the friends crashed the boat and drowned? Got arrested? Got stoned and forgot? Any number of possible delays would guarantee that guys death.

The Thing (1982) - that film freaks the sh*t out of me. The isolation and claustrophobia that you feel while watching it seals that deal, no doubts about it.
The Thing is a great movie, as is all John Carpenter flicks.

The last house on the left- Aside from it being sick , what really scares me is the feeling that it's real. The grittiness of it is very unerving to watch.
I remember seeing this as a kid, and thinking it was a great scary movie. I watched it a couple of years ago, and it seemed a lot less effective.

Two films that I think are kind of scary are:

Nightmare on Elm Street. As an early Wes Craven effort, the FX budget is noticeably small. However, I find it to be a very scary film, and still holds up reasonably well. It is far better than the "death is funny" sequels that it spawned.

The Ring. I was actually surprised that this movie was only rated PG-13 instead of R. I suppose this is due to no nudity and no blatant curse words, but the whole concept and feel of the film is extrememly creepy. Towards the end, with the TV scene, I think that is VERY creepy, because of the actual scene itself, the way it is shot, and the score.

EvilNed
30-Jun-2007, 11:02 PM
The scariest thing to me about CSPWDT is that some guy would volunteer to be buried alive, under a LOT of dirt, on an island, while his friends who buried him LEAVE THE ISLAND??!?? to go back to the mainland to get someone to bring them back, have them dig up the grave, just to scare them that someone was alive in the grave. The shock would have lasted only a few seconds, but the guy would be buried for OVER AN HOUR!!! Who would volunteer for this? What is the friends crashed the boat and drowned? Got arrested? Got stoned and forgot? Any number of possible delays would guarantee that guys death.

Actually, there were two people left on the island, one of which was buried and the other who held the shovel. So there was always someone to watch over the grave. And I believe it's stated that the guy was buried only about 10-20 minutes before the guys dug him up (or something like that).

But ****, I still wouldn't do it.

Danny
01-Jul-2007, 12:53 AM
i dont get scared by much but j horror in particular strikes a chourd in my mind, the scariest one i found to be the origional ju-on ,the grudge film, granted ring was a better film but ju-on was just scarier to me, the whole, woman sleeping with the ghost just standing on here bed crouched over here watching was scarier to me than any gore.

capncnut
01-Jul-2007, 03:43 AM
The last house on the left - Aside from it being sick, what really scares me is the feeling that it's real. The grittiness of it is very unerving to watch.
For some reason, I actually found Wes Craven's Last House on the Left to be quite cheap and ham-acted. When the guy says "piss your pants", I almost did - with laughter! And the old wifey biting off Fred Lincoln's dick at the end was unintentionally comedic. The only thing worthy of praise with Last House is David Hess' outstanding (but completely mis-matched) music score, there's some really nice early 70's folk songs in there.

The Hills Have Eyes is pretty damn scary to think about when you're camping out in the middle of the desert, about 30 miles from the closest civilization.
A much superior Craven movie but still far from scary in my opinion.

Nightmare on Elm Street. As an early Wes Craven effort, the FX budget is noticeably small. However, I find it to be a very scary film, and still holds up reasonably well.
Probably Craven's most scariest movie. Some of the 'jumpy' sequences can be quite unnerving for the first time viewer. I've seen people spill drinks because of it over the years. :lol:

i dont get scared by much but j horror in particular strikes a chourd in my mind, the scariest one i found to be the origional ju-on ,the grudge film, granted ring was a better film but ju-on was just scarier to me, the whole, woman sleeping with the ghost just standing on here bed crouched over here watching was scarier to me than any gore.
A lot of what I was watching didn't make too much sense to me but the imagery has to be one of the most disturbing I have ever seen. Kayako's story was absolutely terrifying! :eek:

Yorkie
01-Jul-2007, 08:40 AM
Nightmare on Elm Street. As an early Wes Craven effort, the FX budget is noticeably small. However, I find it to be a very scary film, and still holds up reasonably well. It is far better than the "death is funny" sequels that it spawned.

That would be my choice, even now sometimes I dream that Freddy Krueger is after me and one of these days I know I am not gonna wake up from that dream :eek:

fartpants
01-Jul-2007, 10:54 AM
The Omen ( original ) and The Exorcist do it for me every time...

bassman
01-Jul-2007, 02:43 PM
"The Thing" is always creepy for the same reasons that MZ stated. One that freaked me out at first but now I've seen so much that it's no big deal is "Alien". And even certain aspects of "Aliens", as well.

capncnut
01-Jul-2007, 02:47 PM
The Omen ( original ) and The Exorcist do it for me every time...
The Excorcist USED to be really scary once upon a time but then I read the book and it out-scares the movie by miles.

I always found the Halloween movies chilling, the way Michael Myers moves - slowly cocking his head left and right as he faces his victim - is textbook horror. Like an unnatural animalistic character...

To quote Dan Aykroyd from Twilight Zone: The Movie, "you wanna see something really scary?" - i.e. the most scared a person will ever get? Show your six-year-old kid The Evil Dead just before they go to bed. I bet you any money, you'll have to change their sheets.

But hey, I even thought 2001 was scary. I don't know about you but I would hate to be trapped on board a spaceship, millions of miles from earth, with a malfunctioning, crazed computer hellbent on destroying me! :confused:

fartpants
01-Jul-2007, 05:40 PM
i wouldn't watch the Evil Dead before bed let alone my 6 year old ( unless i knew i could afford all the therapy he would need later on )...
Also Demons 1 and 2 still scare the crap out of me...

RustyHicks
01-Jul-2007, 07:00 PM
The Shinning and Alien were the scariest I've ever seen.
The original Shinning, not the mini series made a few years back

capncnut
01-Jul-2007, 07:27 PM
i wouldn't watch the Evil Dead before bed let alone my 6 year old ( unless i knew i could afford all the therapy he would need later on )...
Well in 1982, The Evil Dead was released at the cinemas and on video simultaneously (back in the good ol' days). I was maybe 8 or 9 when I first saw it and I was absolutely traumatised with fear. I couldn't look at the TV but I had to, I closed my eyes when Scotty chopped up Shelley but kept opening them. Frozen to the spot and unable to speak a word. Horror movies just don't do that these days and anyone below the age of 25 will never know what it's like to be truly terrified by a movie as The Evil Dead and The Exorcist are considered tame by today's standards. I wish I could go back to 1980, beats the s**t out of the era we live in now...

Also Demons 1 and 2 still scare the crap out of me...
Yes, the possessions in those two movies are wonderfully jarring. I would NOT like to have that possessed black chick chasing after me in a darkened cinema, let me tell you. :eek:

Tricky
01-Jul-2007, 11:03 PM
I found "IT" really scary as a kid,it really creeped me out that!the film doesnt seem that scary now im older,but the book is the answer to that :eek:

MissJacksonCA
02-Jul-2007, 12:16 AM
I've really never been scared by a horror movie... I mean zombie movies creep me out and haunt me in my dreams... but they're not scary like I'm hiding under my blankie for safety. I did however find The Descent to be rather scary because I related to the film and the situation the girls were in. I mean any noise in a cave could be from anything but you certainly dont expect it to be from some flesheating creeper.

Danny
02-Jul-2007, 03:00 AM
I found "IT" really scary as a kid,it really creeped me out that!the film doesnt seem that scary now im older,but the book is the answer to that :eek:

tim curry dressed as a clown, whats not to be scared about?

"everying floats down here!":eek:

darth los
02-Jul-2007, 03:06 AM
Frozen to the spot and unable to speak a word. Horror movies just don't do that these days and anyone below the age of 25 will never know what it's like to be truly terrified by a movie as The Evil Dead and The Exorcist are considered tame by today's standards. I wish I could go back to 1980, beats the s**t out of the era we live in now...

Ah those were the days.:) People would get an axe though the skull and the ratings board wouldn't even flinch. Unfortunately, It's all part of the kinder gentler pc world we live in.

MontagMOI
02-Jul-2007, 10:37 AM
Threads? The BBC film on what would happen if a Nuke exploded over the channel and how it would effect the country. Since Im british this hit me hard plus the thing goes on and on getting worse and worse and worse..After watching this I decided my biggest fear in the world is Nuclear war.

That film pretty much messed up my childhood, lol.
I can remember going to bed at night frightened the world would end.
Another film that scared me was Tobe Hooper's SALEMS LOT. Those scenes with the Glick kid at the window...
Other films atht scared me when i was younger were THE OMEN and A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET.
I was also pretty freaked out by Fulci's CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD for some reason.
One thing that still really f#cks me up is any kind of real animal killing in films. I would have watched CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST more times if it didn't have some nasty animal evisceration.
Recently, I picked up Bruno (Zombie Creeping Flesh) Mattei's LAND OF DEATH. Following Mattei's death recently i thought i would dig up one of his last movies to see if it was as lame as his older films. What i didn't expect was to see a live pig being gutted about 15 minutes into the film. I didn't realise film makers still did stuff like that. I no longer see Mattei as a lovable old fool that makes silly films.
Now i just think he is a C**T.

"If possible sir, only.. if.. possible"

bassman
02-Jul-2007, 01:40 PM
tim curry dressed as a clown, whats not to be scared about?

"everying floats down here!":eek:

THAT's the Tim Curry character that scares you?

http://www.dvdreview.com/fullreviews/Images/RockyHorrorShow/RockyHorrorShow13.jpg
:lol:

Eyebiter
02-Jul-2007, 04:40 PM
Jaws (1975) - Apparently as a kid bugged my folks for weeks until they finally took the family to see this film in the theater. Recall seeing the newspaper ad with the girl swimming and the shark thinking it looked cool. We were up front in the second or third row. Had nightmares for a long time afterwards.

Halloween (1978) - Have a vivid memory of sitting in the theater as a kid and being scared by the movie trailer for Halloween. Unleashed that primal fear that lurks in the reptile part of the back brain.

Phantasm (1979) is another scary film to watch late at night with the lights turned off.

darth los
02-Jul-2007, 05:29 PM
i saw fulci's Zombi when i was about eight. Now i'll conceed it's not very scary now but the effect it had on me at that age was profound. I wouldn't go to the park for about a year for fear that zombies would come up through the grass. So in terms of lasting impact it's right up there for me.

capncnut
03-Jul-2007, 11:33 AM
Phantasm (1979) is another scary film to watch late at night with the lights turned off.
I thought the first scene with the Lady in Lavender and the biker in the graveyard was chilling. One minute it's a young couple making out, suddenly the biker gets stabbed and then the girl turns into the Tall Man. I remember biting my nails, thinking "what's happening?"

And let's not forget the scene where the Tall Man stands at Michael's bed. :eek:

i saw fulci's Zombi when i was about eight. Now i'll conceed it's not very scary now but the effect it had on me at that age was profound. I wouldn't go to the park for about a year for fear that zombies would come up through the grass. So in terms of lasting impact it's right up there for me.
Some of the graveyard scenes were quite scary, especially when that one zombie grabs Tisa Farrow's hair. Not too long ago I was watching the film with a couple of pals and I completely forgot how funny the ending is.

"The zombies are everywhere! They're at the building... they're coming right in... ARRRGGGHHH!!!"

The whole room was in tears! :lol:

http://www.dvdreview.com/fullreviews/Images/RockyHorrorShow/RockyHorrorShow13.jpg
Maybe we should do a poll. Who's scarier, the clown from It or Dr Frankenfurter (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk9HYu0I5mw)?