PDA

View Full Version : The moomins

CornishCorpse
30-Jun-2007, 09:37 PM
Anyone out there have a clue what Im going on about? The childrens tv series from the past? Was made by a swedish guy? I started thinking about how bizarre this series was in the past and if anyone is a fan or has a vague recollection of what the moomins are.

What did the enimies do? The spectre things that would scare the hell out of them?..If I was a white hippo with a tophat I woulda knutted those cousin "it" lookalikes. Jk

Danny
01-Jul-2007, 12:50 AM
screw the moomins, clangers were were its at, the dragon snottd soup out its nose and there was a giant metal chicken!:D

capncnut
01-Jul-2007, 03:17 AM
screw the moomins, clangers were were its at, the dragon snottd soup out its nose and there was a giant metal chicken!:D
Word biatch. :sneaky:

Rottedfreak
01-Jul-2007, 07:45 AM
Anyone out there have a clue what Im going on about? The childrens tv series from the past? Was made by a swedish guy? I started thinking about how bizarre this series was in the past and if anyone is a fan or has a vague recollection of what the moomins are.

What did the enimies do? The spectre things that would scare the hell out of them?..If I was a white hippo with a tophat I woulda knutted those cousin "it" lookalikes. Jk

I remember that raggy spectre forcing them to move house and it stayed that way.

I also remember Button Moon being similar.

Yorkie
01-Jul-2007, 08:30 AM
God talk about bringing back memories :lol:

Never really liked the moomins all that much, really did like Chorlton and the wheelies though.

Sings " Jump in we'll take you for a spin around Wheelie World hohohoho!" :D

fartpants
01-Jul-2007, 10:57 AM

forget both of them its gotta be Button Moon, anyone who can make a rocket out of a washing-up liquid bottle is obviously a different class.

EvilNed
01-Jul-2007, 12:41 PM
I, of course, know what the moomins are. But they weren't made by a swedish guy, but by a finnish gal (with a swedish name...). Her name was Tove Jansson. To add further complications into the mix, the animated TV series is actually japanese. Yes, that's right: The moomins TV series is an anime.

Personally, I find the stories to be psyched out and sometimes even disturbing. I remember being genuinly scared by it when I was a child. But now it's rather tame.

Danny
01-Jul-2007, 01:10 PM
inspector gadget scared the crap out fo me when i was a tyke, weve got a home movie of me watching it when im still in nappies, he does that gogo gadget neck extender, his ehad shoots out his body at the screen and little toddler version of danny stands, screams to high heaven and runs behind the sofa.

good times:lol:

capncnut
01-Jul-2007, 03:01 PM
Never really liked the moomins all that much, really did like Chorlton and the wheelies though.

Sings "Jump in we'll take you for a spin around Wheelie World hohohoho!" :D
Chorlton and the Wheelies was ACE! That's the kind of kids TV show I could watch again, and again, and aga...

...and "JAMIE <der-ner> Jamie <der-ner> Jamie and the Magic Torch <der-ner-ner>" :lol:

MinionZombie
01-Jul-2007, 06:20 PM
BUTTON MOON!!! I loved that as a kid!

http://www.sausagenet.com/i/p/85-1.jpg

One I also really dug was Round The Bend:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/orgers/rtb/boxfront.jpg

There was a segment which was an 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers' style animation about alien teeth or something terrorising a small American-like town, it shat me up as a kid, but I loved it...probably why I love the original Body Snatchers flick so much.

I think it was called either (there appears to have been two teeth-related 1950's style cartoons that went along with the show - among many other, crazy 'n' crude cartoons):

"Roger Prentice, the Apprentice Dentist in FALSE TEETH FROM BEYOND THE STARS."

or

False Teeth vs. The Atomic Banana.

I think I was specifically thinking of the former, but I totally remember one with false teeth too now, having seen the title. :)

Yep, false teeth vs atomic banana was a special episode, where the two stories mixed together. False teeth from beyond the stars was a story about roger prentice the apprentice dentist and his lovely assistant saving the world against evil false teeth; the atomic banana was a show that involved a banana the size of king kong with a sylvester stallone accent wrecking cities; and false teeth vs the atomic banana was a special episode in the true spirit of bad 70s japanese sci-fi (think godzilla vs king kong) that played for a few episodes as I recall.

Man, I wish they'd release these sort of shows on DVD already! Some have been, but I want some solid best of collections at least!

There was one set in a hotel with a host of odd puppet characters (maybe human presenters?) and there was a family with a mother who loved eating cakes and such, there was an episode once where she ate too much and got a sugar rush or something and she went ballistic, like proper Evil Dead, and they had to barricade themselves in the dining hall and stuff...I forget the name of the show, but that particular episode also shat me up - and I loved it.

So many classic shows as a kid, Ghostbusters, Inspector Gadget, many many many excellent shows. :cool:

DjfunkmasterG
01-Jul-2007, 08:14 PM
screw the moomins, clangers were were its at, the dragon snotted soup out its nose and there was a giant metal chicken!:D

We all know a Soup Snotting dragon and Metal Chickens are high value entertainment.

Danny
02-Jul-2007, 02:56 AM
youse knows it.;)