PDA

View Full Version : Capturing video from VHS

JohnoftheDead
02-Jul-2007, 05:52 PM
Does anyone here know what I would need to somehow connect my VCR to my PC, to digitally capture the video, to in turn transfer old VHS tapes that I have to DVD? I have some old movies that aren't available on DVD that I would like to transfer so I can stop risking ruining these tapes. I know I could just dub them onto blank VHS tapes but they'll just wear out eventually anyways, besides the fact that it's just alot nicer to pop in a DVD. Any help out there? I thought maybe there would be a way to just hook my VCR up to my DV camera & do it that way but there doesn't seem to be an input on my camera.

MikePizzoff
02-Jul-2007, 06:09 PM
On my camera I just plugged the A/V cord, going from the camera, into the outputs of the VCR and, I believe (but not sure), set the camera to VCR also and it worked that way. Don't think this works on all camera's, though.

There are also A/V converters for your computer that cost about $100. I think they just plug right into your firewire port. Can't find one online right now, though. I'm sure someone here can.

JohnoftheDead
02-Jul-2007, 06:53 PM
Thanks man, I did spot some things on Ebay for around $20 but I'm gonna try your idea before I blow the cash. Do you know off hand what kind of camera you have? I was thinking that if my camera is the same brand as yours it should work. Thanks again.

MikePizzoff
02-Jul-2007, 09:42 PM
I've got a Sony DCR-TRV 340 and a Panasonic PV-DV52D. Not sure which one I used to capture the VHS.

MissJacksonCA
03-Jul-2007, 04:54 AM
ummm tried calling customer support for ye laptop/desktop?

Philly_SWAT
03-Jul-2007, 08:56 AM
Another option would be to just take the VHS to Walgreens or CVS and have them transer it to a disc for you. I am pretty sure I have seen ads for this service at one of these palces, if not both, and seems like it was around $30.

DjfunkmasterG
03-Jul-2007, 01:34 PM
There is a program made by Pinnacle that comes with a capture box (Look up the term Dazzle Video capture) this thing is awesome because it cannot read Macrovision.