PDA

View Full Version : Romero comment on AICN

Neil
03-Jul-2007, 11:39 AM
Hi, guys,

Lemme tell ya about Diary of the Dead. I love it. It’s the first film since my original Night of the Living Dead that I can say is completely my own.

I’ve been trying to work under-the-radar, with no hype or press, but lately I've started hearing all kinds of **** about “What’s goin' on with Romero?” “What’s with his new film?”

Gimme a break over here! I'm up in Toronto workin' my ass off, making Diary the best it can be. Truth is, I'm having a blast. I've gone home to the kind of filmmaking that I used to do, back in the day.

Diary is a hundred percent independent, made with my partner, Peter Grunwald, and our new friends at Artfire. I haven't had this much freedom since 1968. The cast, of what film critics will probably call “unknowns” (they won’t be for long) is, in my opinion, ****in' great.

This one comes from my heart. It's not a sequel or a remake. It's a whole new beginning for the dead.

Thanks to all of you who are out there waiting and wondering. You guys, the fans, have always kept me going. Now Diary's keeping me going, night, dawn, and day.

I love this movie. I hope you will, too. I'll be back here from time to time to keep you posted. Stay tuned.

Stay scared.

George A. Romero

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/33225

EvilNed
03-Jul-2007, 12:08 PM
I just can't wait to be king!

I mean,

I just can't wait for Diary! Then again, are you guys sure this is really Romero?

capncnut
03-Jul-2007, 02:09 PM
Stop tickling my balls George, just give us a trailer or release date!

RustyHicks
03-Jul-2007, 03:16 PM
lol Are we a bit anxious Cap.

Looks pretty promising to me, I can't wait to see it

Ivarr
03-Jul-2007, 03:45 PM
This on the heels of me sending an email to an addess I found for Christine.

(No I am not sharing it ...)

I apologized for the intrusion but asked if we, the fans of Mr. Romero could get an update...

Guess thats kind of an update :)

I guess we will all just have to wait till its soup.

(Much as I wish for full coverage by a magazine or web site, I can understand why he wants to just work and not get influenced by media reaction)

Keep up the good work Mr. Romero... But please give us a trailer... maybe? :)

bassman
03-Jul-2007, 03:53 PM

I apologized for the intrusion but asked if we, the fans of Mr. Romero could get an update...

Guess thats kind of an update :)

I guess we will all just have to wait till its soup.

(Much as I wish for full coverage by a magazine or web site, I can understand why he wants to just work and not get influenced by media reaction)

Keep up the good work Mr. Romero... But please give us a trailer... maybe? :)

Last I heard, he and Christine were divorced:confused: .....

darth los
03-Jul-2007, 05:16 PM
[i]Hi, guys,

Now Diary's keeping me going, night, dawn, and day.

Anybody notice how he didn't mention land?:confused:

Philly_SWAT
03-Jul-2007, 05:48 PM
Then again, are you guys sure this is really Romero?I was wondering the same thing. I mean, I know George cusses and all, but the F word and the S word in the span of 9 sentences?

lol Are we a bit anxious Cap.
GAR is definately tickling our balls! If not a trailor or release date, how about just a couple of friggin' dailies!

Could the the same one I "found". If so, she never emailed me back.

I heard the same thing.

Anybody notice how he didn't mention land?:confused:Well, either he realized that word didnt fit into the "time of day" motief he had going on, or he thinks Land sucks....

darth los
03-Jul-2007, 06:19 PM
It took 30 years but i guess that chris realized that Gar wasn't her ticket to movie stardom. :lol:

Neil
03-Jul-2007, 07:09 PM

Really? Wow!

Ivarr
03-Jul-2007, 07:10 PM
I don't think it was in response to my email... It's just a coensidence.

Other people may in fact have the email address... I am just trying to be respectful of her/their privacy. (And yes, I apologized for contacting her in the email).

I have liked all of his movies... yes even Land of the Dead... Though it was flawed. (I still could see where he was going with the story)

In many ways Day of the Dead is my favorite... But Dawn of the Dead will always be that movie I was pumped to go see again and again at Midnight Movie nights (Remember them?) as an audience experience... just not the same at home.

I have high hopes for Diary... But in the end ... lets all be honest... we will support him no matter what the movie is like ... A Bad George Romero movie is better than most other directors best efforts. (As far as zombie movies).

Its because of Land of the Dead, the Resident Evil movies and the Dawn remake we have the "World War Z" novel being made into a big budget film. Anything that keeps interest in Zombies is in the end ... good for all of us. (Even if we get some dudds)

Lets stay positive and hope for the best... and remember that is is just 1 movie if its not the "300" of Zombie movies.

Lets give the man a chance.

MinionZombie
03-Jul-2007, 08:30 PM
I say bring it on.

I'll be honest, initially when I heard about it the first time, I was a little bit "meh/eh/huh?!", but as I learned more about it I got into it more and more, so now I'm totally up for it and am certainly looking forward to seeing GAR let loose.

I figured the chap would be busy, and it makes a change we're not hearing loads about it, that can end up spoiling a movie, you're not so amped up for it, but with Diary, there's so little known about it, we don't even have a teaser yet (at least I don't think so anyway! :eek:), but I can dig it. Hell yeah I bet he's busy, filmmaking is a labour of love, plus it always seems to take longer than anticipated...or it takes more energy than first anticipated anyway...

And I still love Land of the Dead. :)

capncnut
04-Jul-2007, 12:35 AM
And I still love Land of the Dead. :)
You knows it son. :sneaky:

bassman
04-Jul-2007, 04:18 AM
Hell yeah. Bring on "Diary".

I'm glad that not much is leaking out. If you were to compare "Diary" to "The Dark Knight", I know too much of "TDK" than I would want to know.

"Diary" is going to be a new experience to me and I can't wait to see what experience the man has in store for me.

Romero has once again treated his cinematic endeavors right. I know that a great film is coming to me in 2007 or erly 2008.

Stay scared, my friends...

Danny
04-Jul-2007, 04:35 AM
You knows it son. :sneaky:

*another nod in agreement, and the metal hand sign for good measure/ no apparent reason*:D

cant wait, the one shot that put me off a bti was one of the "students" with an ak-47, so much for realism, but still im excited, has there ever been a bad zombie film by romero?, no, and if you didnt like ladn as much as the others you can still admit its a good zombie film.
trialer wise id prefer not to see one adn just go in with absolutely no ideas/expectations on what is going to be occuring, but somethings gotta be done for advertising, i think it should be incredibly shaky handheld footage or something, so you can barely see a thing adn jsut let the noise explain ti to you, but thats just the director in me having his imagination run off a little;)

capncnut
04-Jul-2007, 12:55 PM
Independent movie
George A. Romero

These words go hand in hand. :D

It's obvious by the way that GAR is talking (also see DreadCentral video interview) that he's more than happy with the way Diary is working out. It's just that we ain't got nothing to go on, no trailer, all we got is the basic plot outline. But the movie has wrapped, it's in the post-production stage and it's been hinted that an October release is on the cards.

Erm, George - perfect time for a teaser. Even if it's one of those 30 second 'tickler' trailers that reveals five seconds worth of clips with a overdose of tag-lines inbetween them (MZ shakes head with a s**t-freezing stare). Just give us a glimpse of the damn zombs man, I don't care.

MinionZombie
04-Jul-2007, 04:48 PM
(MZ shakes head with a s**t-freezing stare)

Ya damn straight, I hate trailers like that! :D

Even a simple trailer that just gives us a sense of the general vibe of the movie would be cool, and then leave it at that, no blowing your nuts in the trailer and then leaving.

*going off topic alert!*

Hopefully that won't be the case with "Superbad" (the new American Pie, sorta, with the creative jizz of 40 Yr Old Virgin/Knocked Up/many other comedy gold medals). I watched the trailer as Total Film tipped me off about it in the mag that arrived today. F*cking hilarious looking, hopefully it's the same for the whole movie rather than a blown load after 2 minutes of tease. :rockbrow:

*happy sack is back on topic!*

Roll on Diary, an October release would definitely be a much more suitable release date for it (summer releases for horror flicks is stupid, you want spring or autumn...and a bit of winter too I guess...basically - NOT FRIGGIN' SUMMER!).

Also, hopefully it makes it to the UK far quicker than what Land did, we were the last freaking country on the planet to get it, f*cking sucked that I had to wait that long, still though, saw it opening night with "the man behind zombie man" and we freaking loved it, had a blast - as did the 15 year olds behind us, which I was really surprised by...I guess I sold our youth a little too short...

Neil
05-Jul-2007, 12:46 PM
If Diary does badly, do you think Romero will still get the 'Buick 8' gig?

MinionZombie
05-Jul-2007, 07:11 PM
Hopefully Diary will do well, especially if it comes out in October, that's prime horror movie theatre showing time that is. Land of the Dead may not have set the American cinemas alight (hardly surprising in the freaking SUMMER), but it pwned on DVD and did well in Europe in the cinemas as well as DVD.

So hopefully Diary will have that special something that pulls you in, it's certainly going to be interesting to see...I look forward to it, it's not GAR's usual style of doing things...well, some of it is and some of it isn't...but it's great to see he's sticking to his guns and hasn't sold out like some other greats of horror cinema (but no, I don't think Sam Raimi has sold out, he's making quality products and he's making films he loves - ergo, no sell out ... John Carpenter on the other hand, well, he said it himself didn't he?!)

Anyway, rock on GAR! :thumbsup:

fartpants
06-Jul-2007, 05:45 PM
whats unrealistic about an american teenager with a high powered gun in his hands...

EvilNed
06-Jul-2007, 06:06 PM
George A. Romero and independent filmmaking doesn't go as well hand-in-hand as Lloyd Kaufman and independent filmmaking. :p

Anyway, this film is ace. With any luck, it could be really great, up there with Day. Day is, to me, the best of the series by far. And the Diary premise sounds very cool. This time we actually get to SEE the outbreak, rather than being confined in a house, in a mall, in a jungle or whatever. I want to see suburban homes at night with people watching television before they get assaulted by the living dead. I want to see the zombies catch people in the act of doing stuff, and rip their throats out!

capncnut
06-Jul-2007, 07:00 PM
Nope, I don't think Diary will bomb or be a success. Whatever happens with it, he's already said that he's gonna be directing a zombie comedy straight after.

acealive1
06-Jul-2007, 07:46 PM
*screams like a girl*

Danny
06-Jul-2007, 11:46 PM

the king novel adaption?, well king and romero are good freinds so yeah sai i reckon he will.:D

MikePizzoff
09-Jul-2007, 09:51 PM

So you mean George is tickling your balls and he doesn't have the common courtesy to look up at you and answer your question?

DVW5150
04-Aug-2007, 04:34 AM
Hi, guys,

Lemme tell ya about Diary of the Dead. I love it. It’s the first film since my original Night of the Living Dead that I can say is completely my own.

I’ve been trying to work under-the-radar, with no hype or press, but lately I've started hearing all kinds of **** about “What’s goin' on with Romero?” “What’s with his new film?”

Gimme a break over here! I'm up in Toronto workin' my ass off, making Diary the best it can be. Truth is, I'm having a blast. I've gone home to the kind of filmmaking that I used to do, back in the day.

Diary is a hundred percent independent, made with my partner, Peter Grunwald, and our new friends at Artfire. I haven't had this much freedom since 1968. The cast, of what film critics will probably call “unknowns” (they won’t be for long) is, in my opinion, ****in' great.

This one comes from my heart. It's not a sequel or a remake. It's a whole new beginning for the dead.

Thanks to all of you who are out there waiting and wondering. You guys, the fans, have always kept me going. Now Diary's keeping me going, night, dawn, and day.

I love this movie. I hope you will, too. I'll be back here from time to time to keep you posted. Stay tuned.

Stay scared.

George A. Romero

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/33225
I have read that letter several times , its on his GARs Diary of the Dead myspace page.

Its hopefully (?) going to be in theaters just before Halloween :skull:ooooo scary.

George A. Romero and independent filmmaking doesn't go as well hand-in-hand as Lloyd Kaufman and independent filmmaking. :p

Anyway, this film is ace. With any luck, it could be really great, up there with Day. Day is, to me, the best of the series by far. And the Diary premise sounds very cool. This time we actually get to SEE the outbreak, rather than being confined in a house, in a mall, in a jungle or whatever. I want to see suburban homes at night with people watching television before they get assaulted by the living dead. I want to see the zombies catch people in the act of doing stuff, and rip their throats out!

Yes! I want throat ripping! Lots of it! More, more! Give me throat ripping dangit! NOW! Give me thoat ripping or give me dea- *ahem ok, get a grip .