PDA

View Full Version : Most realistic post-zombie world?

MissJacksonCA
04-Jul-2007, 02:21 AM
In what zombie/infected flick do you think is the most adequate depiction of what the world would look like after a zombie outbreak?

I personally really liked the 28 days later setting. Manchester burning because hey there's no fire crews alive to put out the fire. Tunnel underpasses were clogged with car wrecks. Bodies scattered about. People dead inside the cafe and the church. Posters and flyers seeking missing loved ones. Little to no power being on in the area or surrounding areas. I thought they really made the world truly look different.

Danny
04-Jul-2007, 03:25 AM
id have to say 28 days for england, land for the u.s.

-not a commentary on anything in that ,just cus were different countrys things would go different ways.

Philly_SWAT
04-Jul-2007, 03:45 AM
I never really liked the "abandoned cars" throughout the streets in these types of scenes. I mean, you dont see any cars at all lined up in a neat fashion. What are we supposed to think, that every single person got in their car, and every single person had to make an emergency exit from their car for some reason, and leave the door open, parked sideways in the middle of the street.

Personally, I like Day. I shows that there is no one living anywhere, and nothing but zombies around.

DVW5150
04-Jul-2007, 04:17 AM
Both the 28 films were 'spot on' as they say for art direction.
The pizza delivery place in '28 Weeks' where the two kids get the scooter to go to thier old home was unreal.
The delivery guys body is laying in the kitchen, w/ cockroaches munching on him. I thought 'how ironic, he was delivering food, now he is food.'

In 28 Days when he says 'Hello' in the burger joint, hes expecting a violent attack.The kid that ran at him was totally freakish.The bodies sitting at the tables were, ugh ,disgusting.

Yes 'Day' had it down , in what I think was supposed to be Sanibel Island or northern Miami , the alligator (with his mouth tied shut) was a great touch.

As far as the context of abandoned cars, the way things are positioned after people leave them are unexplainable.Severe random chaos leaves random results.

MissJacksonCA
04-Jul-2007, 05:33 AM
aw man I haven't seen 28 weeks yet... grrrr

I didn't like the setting for LAND because simply... apartment towers are full of people which would create nothing but utter chaos and total zombie kingdom IMHO... they shoulda done Fiddlers Green more like a secluded housing area or something... I just think people in large metropolitan cities would be doomed... not to mention of course how you can only raid surrounding cities so much before there's nothing left...

I loved the gator with the mouth tied shut too lol... I also loved the dead walk newspaper

acealive1
04-Jul-2007, 05:53 AM
land for sure!!

darth los
04-Jul-2007, 12:44 PM
Day for me. It's really dark and there's no hope. I think that's a more accurate representation of real life and how the situation would eventually end up.

capncnut
04-Jul-2007, 01:13 PM
id have to say 28 days for england, land for the u.s.
Same goes for me, man. Both are suitably apocalyptic.

zombieslayer
04-Jul-2007, 01:55 PM

I didn't like the setting for LAND because simply... apartment towers are full of people which would create nothing but utter chaos and total zombie kingdom IMHO... they shoulda done Fiddlers Green more like a secluded housing area or something... I just think people in large metropolitan cities would be doomed... not to mention of course how you can only raid surrounding cities so much before there's nothing left...

I loved the gator with the mouth tied shut too lol... I also loved the dead walk newspaper
i haven't seen it all yet, but i got it burned on my cpu. i think day was the best for after the outbreak. dawn started it then it ended with day. loved how fla. looked when theywent there. cars parked all over. that's how i think it would realy be like. and i liked the gator too.

MissJacksonCA
04-Jul-2007, 01:57 PM
I liked the cars all over too but I felt the whole underground bunker/access to gas and helicopter were just a littttttttttle tooooooooo convenient...

Neil
04-Jul-2007, 04:14 PM
In 28 Days when he says 'Hello' in the burger joint, hes expecting a violent attack.

That scene bugged me... It was another of those ones where someone casually put themselves in harms way for absolutely no reason other than the script needed a bit of action at that point... :rolleyes:

Wildey
04-Jul-2007, 10:18 PM
I like the abandoned cars throughout the desolation streets scenes, my preferred scene is the Day of the dead introduction, I find that romero does not exploit enough this "urban apocalyptic world" with its characters.

(sorry for franglish)

EvilNed
04-Jul-2007, 11:40 PM
^ welcome to the board!

Wildey
05-Jul-2007, 12:13 AM
thanks ! :)

sandrock74
05-Jul-2007, 12:21 AM
I have to go with the begining of Day as well. I think things would look quiet at a glance until somethng stirred the zombies into their shambling action.
I also never understood the cars parked sideways in the streets. Did every single person take the same 1 or 2 streets and forget how to drive??

Wildey
05-Jul-2007, 10:31 AM
I also never understood the cars parked sideways in the streets

You can also see trees on the ground in Day of the Dead, in the French version, Mc Dermott say to Steel in the meeting scene:“the power fell on the continent” which is not in the original dialogue.
If the nuclear weapon were used this would explain all of this desolation.

I don't understand too.

Land of the dead world has also its charm :lol: :

http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/1266/sanstitre1nj1.jpg

Taken from the official Land of the dead website.

aljuweind
06-Jul-2007, 03:31 AM
comment removed from forum

Neil
06-Jul-2007, 08:06 AM
Granted 28 Weeks Later sucked but the 28 Days Later world has replaced Romeroesque style zombie movies as my favorite post-apocalyptic zombie world.

I thought 28 Weeks Later was OK... The first half I thought was excellent, but the latter half (almost like the original) just went daft...

jim102016
06-Jul-2007, 05:35 PM
I like the abandoned cars throughout the desolation streets scenes, my preferred scene is the Day of the dead introduction, I find that romero does not exploit enough this "urban apocalyptic world" with its characters.

(sorry for franglish)

Have to agree with you there, Day' would have been so much better had he done more to expose what the world would have looked like at that point. Maybe instead of flying over a swamp, John could have flown over the suburbs, maybe a large airport, or some sort of area that was formerly occupied by a lot of people.

Damn shame Romero didn't dive into each the flashback aspect either. Perhaps slowing showing what each of the survivors went through before they got down in the shelter. Fisher in Washington, DC. with the zombie trying to drive the car, how the soliders were chosen to go, where the hell McDermott came from, etc. But, I suppose that would have taken away from the overall story.

Wildey
06-Jul-2007, 09:47 PM
Have to agree with you there, Day' would have been so much better had he done more to expose what the world would have looked like at that point. Maybe instead of flying over a swamp, John could have flown over the suburbs, maybe a large airport, or some sort of area that was formerly occupied by a lot of people.

Damn shame Romero didn't dive into each the flashback aspect either. Perhaps slowing showing what each of the survivors went through before they got down in the shelter. Fisher in Washington, DC. with the zombie trying to drive the car, how the soliders were chosen to go, where the hell McDermott came from, etc. But, I suppose that would have taken away from the overall story.

The Day of the dead introduction was a shock when I had seen it for the first time, I had never seen such a chaotic, despaired environment in a movie.

In Land of the dead also we don't see enough about the external world, What I don't like in this movie, it's that it is primarily filmed at night, it is very frustrating.

28 weeks is much explicit and as you I like the first half of the movie and it undoubtedly shows what reality will be, that it is possible for humans to survive in this hostile world and that all the streets should not be full with zombies or contaminateds.

darth los
06-Jul-2007, 10:05 PM
The Day of the dead introduction was a shock when I had seen it for the first time, I had never seen such a chaotic, despaired environment in a movie.

In Land of the dead also we don't see enough about the external world, What I don't like in this movie, it's that it is primarily filmed at night, it is very frustrating.

28 weeks is much explicit and as you I like the first half of the movie and it undoubtedly shows what reality will be, that it is possible for humans to survive in this hostile world and that all the streets should not be full with zombies or contaminated.

That's a shortcoming of most zombie films. They fail to show the grand scale of the plauge and if anything it's just a brief glimpse. It's always us just follwing the plight of a handful of humans.

Philly_SWAT
06-Jul-2007, 11:05 PM
As far as the context of abandoned cars, the way things are positioned after people leave them are unexplainable.Severe random chaos leaves random results.
This is true. However, it seems to me that at least some cars would still be in a neat, orderly fashion.

they shoulda done Fiddlers Green more like a secluded housing area or something... I just think people in large metropolitan cities would be doomed...
Remember, the city of Pittsburgh is uniquely situated with water protecting two of the three sides of the "Golden Triangle". George Washington, when he saw the then empty land as he stood atop the mountain across the way from downtown, immediately said how that would be a good place for a fort (and subsequently there were two different forts there). That is why that mountain is called "Mt. Washington".

MissJacksonCA
07-Jul-2007, 09:46 AM
Sorry my last trip to pittsburg was in hmm... 1996 and we ruined the hotel spa by putting um... bubble bath into it... which was fine because someone ruined the trip by setting off fire alarms for three hours and causing a temporary evacuation if you didn't want to stay in a hotel with blaring alarms and stuff...

I just felt if they could film in the outerskirts of Pitts... they didn't have to choose a high rise... for me that was tough to accept... wait no... its tough to accept I still dont accept it... its too damn convenient for the purpose of the film and the story and thats bullhogginy to me

TheVirginReaper
08-Jul-2007, 01:20 PM
I liked that one as well. I was a bit iffy about Land of the Dead's rendition. I thought Undead and Planet Terror had pretty extreme but interesting ones.

Zombie Superman
09-Jul-2007, 01:34 PM
Shaun of the Dead.

MissJacksonCA
09-Jul-2007, 01:36 PM
I surely hope you're kidding about Shaun of the dead

if not... why

Zombie Superman
09-Jul-2007, 04:00 PM
Why do I have to be kidding?

For one thing, the way in which the "leftover" zombies are used. I wonder if we wouldn't use them for sport/entertainment somehow in our currently very ****ed up society.

I thought that was excellent social commentary in the tradition of Romero and I felt it realistic.

You can bet if we had an outbreak of the undead, someone would find a way to capitalize on it after (if at all) the thread was eliminated.

Just look how long it took people to capitalize on 9-11, the war, etc.

It's human nature.

Z\S/

darth los
09-Jul-2007, 04:05 PM
Why do I have to be kidding?

For one thing, the way in which the "leftover" zombies are used. I wonder if we wouldn't use them for sport/entertainment somehow in our currently very ****ed up society.

I thought that was excellent social commentary in the tradition of Romero and I felt it realistic.

You can bet if we had an outbreak of the undead, someone would find a way to capitalize on it after (if at all) the thread was eliminated.

Just look how long it took people to capitalize on 9-11, the war, etc.

It's human nature.

Z\S/

....Rudy...cough...Gulliani...Wheeze

Zombie Superman
09-Jul-2007, 05:06 PM
Guiliani did a good job with 9-11, but he's not above what I'm talking about.

Nor are filmmakers and the countless in Hollywood who have turned "Never forget" into a catchphrase used to up their own cred and get attention.

Z\S/

darth los
09-Jul-2007, 05:11 PM
Guiliani did a good job with 9-11, but he's not above what I'm talking about.Z\S/

You mean like putting New York's anti terrorist headquaters in the WTC when he was advised not to after the 93' attacks? Or was it that stellar moment when he along with the epa pronounced the air around ground zero safe to breathe and hundreds of first responders are now severely ill as a direct result? That man is awful. He was the most hated man in new york on 9-10-2001. He was just in the right place at the right time. Of course he was looking like he was engaged roaming the streets on 9-11. The blew up his office for pete's sake !! He had no ther choice. He can try to sell that 9-11 hero crap around the country but those from new york know what he's really about.

Zombie Superman
09-Jul-2007, 05:18 PM
You mean like putting New York's anti terrorist headquaters in the WTC when he was advised not to after the 93' attacks? Or was it that stellar moment when he along with the epa pronounced the air around ground zero safe to breathe and hundreds of first responders are now severely ill as a direct result? That man is awful. He was the most hated man in new york on 9-10-2001. He was just in the right place at the right time. Of course he was looking like he was engaged roaming the streets on 9-11. The blew up his office for pete's sake !! He had no ther choice. He can try to sell that 9-11 hero crap around the country but those from new york know what he's really about.

Interesting. I haven't heard these things before. I need to do some more reading on this for sure. Any recommendations?

darth los
09-Jul-2007, 05:26 PM
Interesting. I haven't heard these things before. I need to do some more reading on this for sure. Any recommendations?

And you won't hear about them if rudy has his way. This is one of the reasons why i don't believe he can get the republican nomination for president. As soon as the rest of the country finds out the truth about this guy they're bound to get turned off. Add what i just wrote to the fact that he's liberal and almost all the social issues that are important to reps and i don't see how he possibly could get the nominations. 9-11 is basically the only platform he has. He has this rep as this great leader in a crisis and it's a sham. The guy is a a former u.s. attorney and former mayor. This means that he has absolutely zero foriegn policy experience. In these crazy times we live in we need someone who knows what they're doing , not learning on the job. We've had 2 terms of incompetant leadership already. I don't care if a rep or a dem is prez but whoever it is they're going to have a hell of a time trying to lead us out of the deep sh8t this administration has gotten us into. I'll try to get some info. If you're the impatient type though you can always google it.

GhostWolf
09-Jul-2007, 07:50 PM
28 days i agree probably had it down. I have trouble with most of the others though. For example, the Land setup. I find it very hard to believe that in a situation as outlandish as a zombie epidemic, you would see any kind of orginization or co-operation on that scale. At least not here in the states.

In my opinion, the states would be screwed. You would see too many people with thier own ideas and plans for survival going off and doing their own thing rather than sit with a group of more then twenty and try and do anything productive. With the exception of smaller communities that already operate well together, or well enough anyway. Taking or holding a portion of a big city, and foraging about the surrounding areas.... i just dont think that would be possible.

Mainly becuase we all like our independance too much. And without the normal constraints of society, i dont think you're average person would agree to be someone's lackey or subordinant. I could ofcourse be wrong. In times of severe crisis, average people here in the states tend to band together well enough to come up with a temporary or partial solution. Hurricanes, earthquakes, tornados, and terrorists for example. But even during all of these situations there are still laws and people to enforce them, still government orginizations to take control of relief efforts and refuge centers.

So i suppose other than the 28 days take on things, i haven't really seen a realistic view of what the world would become.

darth los
09-Jul-2007, 08:38 PM
28 days i agree probably had it down. I have trouble with most of the others though. For example, the Land setup. I find it very hard to believe that in a situation as outlandish as a zombie epidemic, you would see any kind of orginization or co-operation on that scale. At least not here in the states.

I think that in land the poeple who ran things at the green probably had an infrastructure already set up so that what they were able to do was possible. They saw that the chaos created a power vacuum and swooped in and filled it. We don't know what kaufman used to do but chances are he was a powerful figure. Whether legitimate or not (organized crime) he apparantly had the resources and manpower to sieze control of the city. Hell, alot of that goes on today. there are definitely shady figures waiting in the wings in case order breaks down on a massive scale. So it's not that far fetched.

Yojimbo
10-Jul-2007, 01:30 AM

I think in Land the area of Fiddler's Green was supposed to be one of the island areas in Pittsuburgh where they could cut off access to the outside by shutting down a few bridges. In that case it could work and make sense..that is until you have swimming zombies who communicate with each other and can organize into a cohesive group. (what the hell was that?)

darth los
10-Jul-2007, 02:18 AM
I think in Land the area of Fiddler's Green was supposed to be one of the island areas in Pittsuburgh where they could cut off access to the outside by shutting down a few bridges. In that case it could work and make sense..that is until you have swimming zombies who communicate with each other and can organize into a cohesive group. (what the hell was that?)

It was the downfall of the film. That whole smart zombie thing just lost me and alot of other people as well.

Dawg
11-Jul-2007, 10:56 PM
I never really liked the "abandoned cars" throughout the streets in these types of scenes. I mean, you dont see any cars at all lined up in a neat fashion. What are we supposed to think, that every single person got in their car, and every single person had to make an emergency exit from their car for some reason, and leave the door open, parked sideways in the middle of the street.

Personally, I like Day. I shows that there is no one living anywhere, and nothing but zombies around.

Yep, if the outbreak happened quickly like in the Dawn remake, everyone will be trying to get the f**k out of Dodge and then it got clogged and people hurried off on foot.

More than likely, there would be a few left, having heart attacks and what not.

I think one great vision of a world falling apart is Stephen King's The Stand where it showed New York clogged up to the tunnel and they had to walk through that death reeking in the cars from the plague.

:dead: Dawg

aljuweind
12-Jul-2007, 12:08 AM
This post was removed.

MissJacksonCA
12-Jul-2007, 06:34 AM
Because its hurricane season and the eternal geniouses at the natl weather service say its going to be a very strong storm season i'm quite anxious to see news footage of the evacuation routes. Whether they use two sides of the highway to go the same way or what? Because I imagine people given a scary enough disaster would be speeding out of control (much like in Daw 04) trying to escape and wind up getting into accidents here and there. Not to mention the pileups they'd cause which would in turn be forcing people to flee their cars in order to run for their lives. Some of the car wrecks undoubtedly would also cause severe fires which depending on the area could wind up setting huge fires that would spread like wildfire heh.

Its all kinda why I didn't buy the setting in Day of the Dead... a few cars here and there but really that would suggest that most of the town had fled via cars to some safety control center of which none was discovered by the survivors on their many helicopter trips. Dawn of the dead was something similar as well because they were still using automobiles and there were no congestion issues when Rog and Pete went to drive the semis to the mall. Its just not plausible.

RustyHicks
12-Jul-2007, 04:13 PM
I'd say Day had the most realistic feel to it, the way everything was
abandoned and the doom feeling of the whole thing, the empitiness of
knowing the world you once knew no longer exist.

Another one that was a realistic setting, although it wasn't
a zombie movie, was "The Stand"
You could see the panic in that movie, people laying dead in the
street, cars wrecked, town totally abandoned,
which it would probably be like if a zombie plague
ever hit the world

darth los
13-Jul-2007, 04:01 AM
I'd say Day had the most realistic feel to it, the way everything was
abandoned and the doom feeling of the whole thing, the empitiness of
knowing the world you once knew no longer exist.

Another one that was a realistic setting, although it wasn't
a zombie movie, was "The Stand"
You could see the panic in that movie, people laying dead in the
street, cars wrecked, town totally abandoned,
which it would probably be like if a zombie plague
ever hit the world

The original night was very realistic as well. I think the film GAR used contributed to that gritty documentary feel it had.

Danny
13-Jul-2007, 04:49 AM
Because its hurricane season and the eternal geniouses at the natl weather service say its going to be a very strong storm season i'm quite anxious to see news footage of the evacuation routes. Whether they use two sides of the highway to go the same way or what? Because I imagine people given a scary enough disaster would be speeding out of control (much like in Daw 04) trying to escape and wind up getting into accidents here and there. Not to mention the pileups they'd cause which would in turn be forcing people to flee their cars in order to run for their lives. Some of the car wrecks undoubtedly would also cause severe fires which depending on the area could wind up setting huge fires that would spread like wildfire heh.

Its all kinda why I didn't buy the setting in Day of the Dead... a few cars here and there but really that would suggest that most of the town had fled via cars to some safety control center of which none was discovered by the survivors on their many helicopter trips. Dawn of the dead was something similar as well because they were still using automobiles and there were no congestion issues when Rog and Pete went to drive the semis to the mall. Its just not plausible.

not to go off topic but miss J raised a good idea, in those sweeping shots in zombie films were you see the landscape covered in th walking dead, you never see weather effects and imagine a tornaoe ripping across a feild, just flinging zombies everywere, now thatd be a good zombie movie.
though i kinda see the best zombie stuff , romeros tilogy, the walking dead ect. arent horrors but more sci-fi dramas, though i think the walking deads the only one that touched on weather since you saw how the zombies got in the winter.

darth los
13-Jul-2007, 04:58 AM
What happened to the zombies in the winter? :confused:

Danny
13-Jul-2007, 05:00 AM
not quite sure it was way back in issue 7 and thats like 2 years ago, i think they find some frozen, like snowmen but then when the sun comes up they ,yknow, do what zeds do.

man imagine being in texas on a hot day surrounded by the smeel of them?:barf:

darth los
13-Jul-2007, 05:04 AM
not quite sure it was way back in issue 7 and thats like 2 years ago, i think they find some frozen, like snowmen but then when the sun comes up they ,yknow, do what zeds do.

man imagine being in texas on a hot day surrounded by the smeel of them?:barf:

Other than lotd i haven't see that aspect covered either. And even in land there we only passing references to it. One question though. If they stink so bad then how could they possibly sneak up on someone like what happened a couple of times in that film?

Danny
13-Jul-2007, 05:51 AM
i know, if i ever write a bigass zombie movie script, or dj could use this for his new "die hard with zombies" flick , there should be a character who stops and goes " *sniff...sniff*, wahts that sme- of ****, run!"
its just common sense really.

which many in horror films seem to lack.

TheVirginReaper
13-Jul-2007, 08:07 AM
Guiliani did a good job with 9-11, but he's not above what I'm talking about.

Nor are filmmakers and the countless in Hollywood who have turned "Never forget" into a catchphrase used to up their own cred and get attention.

Z\S/

I miss when the political commentary wasn't quite as period dated so the film could have a longer standing instead of just glancing at it and rolling your eyes and going, "Oh, Bush Administration".

But yeah, that's beside the point. I can kind of see the Shawn of the Dead argument, as well. If humans didn't cave in they'd be utilizing zombies for something (though probably not any tasks that could get someone bit good).

darth los
13-Jul-2007, 04:53 PM
But yeah, that's beside the point. I can kind of see the Shawn of the Dead argument, as well. If humans didn't cave in they'd be utilizing zombies for something (though probably not any tasks that could get someone bit good).

That's what gar wanted to do with his original day script.

DjfunkmasterG
13-Jul-2007, 09:48 PM
For me it is DAWN 2004 and 28 Days later. They had it down pat.

EvilNed
13-Jul-2007, 09:50 PM

If you slap a protective mouthpiece over the zombies mouth, you could make him do labours without worrying about being bit.

darth los
13-Jul-2007, 10:13 PM
I always wanted a zombified butler.

Danny
14-Jul-2007, 01:55 AM
this thread could go really down a creepy road if you arent careful, im just sayin':shifty:

Yojimbo
14-Jul-2007, 02:04 AM
It was the downfall of the film. That whole smart zombie thing just lost me and alot of other people as well.

Agreed. Done in such a ludicrously heavy handed way. I like to think it was the interference of the studio suits rather than a Romero mistep.

I do know that towards the end of shooting Romero got so pissed that he walked off the set and the remainder of the film had to be done by the ADs, so maybe that was part of the problem.

darth los
14-Jul-2007, 02:10 AM
Agreed. Done in such a ludicrously heavy handed way. I like to think it was the interference of the studio suits rather than a Romero mistep.

I do know that towards the end of shooting Romero got so pissed that he walked off the set and the remainder of the film had to be done by the ADs, so maybe that was part of the problem.

Now we know why he always looks for private funds to back an independantly made film. I'll bet that's the last time he does that. he's too old to take crap from studios anyway.

MissJacksonCA
14-Jul-2007, 12:48 PM
this thread could go really down a creepy road if you arent careful, im just sayin':shifty:

Thats why I like to post the crazy isht I do... look no further than my post on pain tolerance and its usefulness in a zombie world heh

I think the one part where Dawn 04 went a little wrong was when Sarah Polley is driving her Carolla down the street after her husband hit her windshield and you see he's running after her and she drives past a lady who's just standing outside like la la la and of course then he attacks her... just because she slept through the emergency broadcasts doesn't necessarily mean EVERYONE did...

Though come to think of it the whole bus scene was a little odd too... I mean if they were sending people to rescue stations why would the buses still be taking fares? Maybe they were transferring them to the rescue stations but that wouldn't make sense since a zombie in that movie could turn in nearly an instant. Hmmm.... yay a new reason to watch Dawn 04 again!

darth los
14-Jul-2007, 03:08 PM

Sometimes the nurse zombie just ain't enough.... What? :shifty:

Danny
15-Jul-2007, 04:37 AM
*starts t-minus type countdown till someone makes a "so pervy its auqward" joke about zombie concubines*:shifty:

Yojimbo
15-Jul-2007, 04:29 PM
*starts t-minus type countdown till someone makes a "so pervy its auqward" joke about zombie concubines*:shifty:

Check out FIDO. One of the antiheroes did just that!

Danny
16-Jul-2007, 05:49 AM
*switches into Ed mode*

OI FAW-KIN' NEW IT!:lol:

hadrian0117
16-Jul-2007, 07:51 PM
I liked the cars all over too but I felt the whole underground bunker/access to gas and helicopter were just a littttttttttle tooooooooo convenient...

Not to mention impossible. Most of Florida doesn't even have traditional cemetaries (no burials, just above ground crypts) because of the water level. I doubt there's anyplace in the entire state where a bunker like that could exist:rockbrow: . And just what was the bunker used for anyway? It had document storage, civil defence supplies, and missile silos?:confused: And just where were those missiles launched anyway?

Yojimbo
16-Jul-2007, 08:26 PM
And just what was the bunker used for anyway? It had document storage, civil defence supplies, and missile silos?:confused: And just where were those missiles launched anyway?

Perhaps this silo was one of the many deactivated after the cold war ended. I do understand that there were many that were taken down (with great and loud public fanfare) after the fall of the Berlin wall when Russians were suddenly supposed to be our best friends.

darth los
16-Jul-2007, 08:42 PM
Perhaps this silo was one of the many deactivated after the cold war ended. I do understand that there were many that were taken down (with great and loud public fanfare) after the fall of the Berlin wall when Russians were suddenly supposed to be our best friends.

We don't even know if it was deactivated or not. it was still obviously in use, perhaps converted into a secret base. But even though nukes are destroyed or anything else along those lines i'm sure the gov't still kept a few active just in case. They'd be fools not to.

MissJacksonCA
16-Jul-2007, 09:51 PM
I was also rather curious about how it was possible they got their Tioga camper trailers underground. I mean I realize they prolly used that hydraulic lift but at what point did they flee to this underground thing? How were these people brought together? It didn't make sense that John and McDermott were in the trailer unless one of them brought that to the bunker... had to have been McDermott...but where was his car? Where did he come from? Aren't the electricians for the armed forces actually soldiers of some kind who sought training in that specific field? Doesn't that go the same for their helicopter pilots? And where did Sarah and the doctors come in? Were they hired by the army? Rescued by them?

And just by following Peter's logic from the previous movie where the zombies are gathering at the mall because they were used to going there... then were the zombies used to going to this hidden marine bunker area? Or could they smell everyone? In NOTLD I doubt that many zombs were used to going to that farm house so they had to have been attracted by the smell of humans but still it doesn't make sense.

darth los
17-Jul-2007, 12:18 AM
In NOTLD I doubt that many zombs were used to going to that farm house so they had to have been attracted by the smell of humans but still it doesn't make sense.

It was never proven if the ghouls could smell or not. In any case they didn't have to. The bill hinzman zombie knew they were in there and that's all that was nescesary for the ghouls to congregate there. It was the same in dawn where only the stephen zombie knew where they were but that was enough for the others to follow him on up. If anything that's one of the few points of consistency across the films in the series.

MissJacksonCA
17-Jul-2007, 11:11 AM
okay but in the day flick why'd they go to the bunker? odds are it was pretty well out in bfe because its not exactly like underground military places are in the midst of busy areas... they're top secret...

darth los
17-Jul-2007, 12:27 PM
okay but in the day flick why'd they go to the bunker? odds are it was pretty well out in bfe because its not exactly like underground military places are in the midst of busy areas... they're top secret...

Well, a helicopter kinda makes alot of noise. I'm sure that they made many excursions to find survivors. As shown in other films it doesn't take much to tip the ghouls off to your where abouts. That's why peter was so cautious about pulling the wheelbarrow into the hallway in dawn.

MissJacksonCA
17-Jul-2007, 01:36 PM
so they can hear and see but can't smell? yah sure

Yojimbo
17-Jul-2007, 03:40 PM

I think what was said is that it had never been proven or established that they could smell. Perhaps they can or can't, we can guess about it but it would be pure speculation since we don't have any instances of them sniffing things to refer to. We can, however, show that they definetly hear things and can see things.

As far as the trailers being underground, most likely these were stored there before the dead started rising, and were brought into the complex through a tunnel which, after the emergency began, had been sealed leaving the hydraulic lift as the best access to the surface (or more likely the most convenient access as it was next to the helicopter pad)

MissJacksonCA
17-Jul-2007, 03:43 PM
Why would they have put the trailers underground at all? Who put them there and why? It doesn't make sense. I see it as something purely done for the purpose of the movie and damn I hate that.

darth los
17-Jul-2007, 06:00 PM

You are assuming and you know what happens when you do that. As doc foster said in dawn, "We can only operate on what we do know." We know for a fact that they can see and hear, but there's no concrete evidence that they can smell. Remember ,these creatures cannot be considered human. We cannot presume them to have the same faculties and bodily functions that we have.

MissJacksonCA
17-Jul-2007, 06:53 PM
And what i'm saying is simply the movies were carelessly done. What takes away a walking corpses ability to smell and to touch but gives him eyesight and hearing? When you're dead you lose them all. GAR picked and chose whta he gave them and its nonsensical. That's all i'm saying. He did things for the purpose of the film instead of creating a flick that followed the flow of things that naturally would happen.

Yojimbo
17-Jul-2007, 07:19 PM
Why would they have put the trailers underground at all? Who put them there and why? It doesn't make sense. I see it as something purely done for the purpose of the movie and damn I hate that.

If you've ever been to a millitary base, you will see RVs being used as housing and office/meeting spaces.

The millitary base space could have been previously loaned out to the federal government as storage for luxury items that had been seized during foreclosures or by the IRS which could account for the presence of motorboats and RVs.

The presence of those items are not completely out of the realm of believability.

The true explanation for why those items are in that storage area is because the facility where GAR filmed DAY is actually a storage facility where people can archive documents, dry dock boats and store RVs due to the dry nature of the facility which used to be a mine of some sort. All the same, however, it is again within the realm of possibility that the millitary could be loaning out unused space for the same purpose.

MissJacksonCA
17-Jul-2007, 07:25 PM
I was on the El Toro marine base every day for two years and never once saw a trailer like the ones featured in Day of the Dead. I saw a primitive trailer that was used as an office and featured a desk and a chair and some saddles but that was it. Never a camping trailer.

I further can't imagine the military housing items seized by the government... how do they know the items dont contain explosives or something dangerous or contagious? Now if it was an abandoned base I see that happening but because the property was fenced and outfitted with electricity and relatively clean it wasn't abandoned.

I'm still left wondering how the group got together though... they were quite the odd group of people.

Yojimbo
17-Jul-2007, 07:32 PM
And what i'm saying is simply the movies were carelessly done. What takes away a walking corpses ability to smell and to touch but gives him eyesight and hearing? When you're dead you lose them all. GAR picked and chose whta he gave them and its nonsensical. That's all i'm saying. He did things for the purpose of the film instead of creating a flick that followed the flow of things that naturally would happen.

Again, you are assuming that they are portrayed as not having the ability to smell. I assert that this was never established (whether they smell or not -- and I am not talking about their scent but rather their ability to detect scents) If this is true-- that is, that they might be able to smell -- then your statement that GAR picked and nonsensically chose is incorrect.

Surely, GAR did things singularly for the purpose of the film -- this is what filmakers do. But to assert that he did not follow the "flow of things that naturally would happen" is to assume that the idea of the dead returning to life and seeking out human flesh is an occurence within the boundaries of reality, which we know (or at least hope) is not the case and will never happen. It is also to assume that if the dead were to return to life that there would be a preordained flow of things that would naturally occur, a statement that none of us can make for certain and certainly none of us can claim to know this flow. What is the natural flow in this situation, and how do we claim to know this.

I was on the El Toro marine base every day for two years and never once saw a trailer like the ones featured in Day of the Dead. I saw a primitive trailer that was used as an office and featured a desk and a chair and some saddles but that was it. Never a camping trailer.

I further can't imagine the military housing items seized by the government... how do they know the items dont contain explosives or something dangerous or contagious? Now if it was an abandoned base I see that happening but because the property was fenced and outfitted with electricity and relatively clean it wasn't abandoned.

I'm still left wondering how the group got together though... they were quite the odd group of people.

I do concede that I too have never seen those type of RVs on base, but if there are some RVs there then there certainly could be other types as well.

You make a good point about the the possibility that items might be housed in an abandoned base. Perhaps this is what the DAY base was -- an abanonded facility, stripped of it's materials that was being used as equipment and document storage that, as the emergency came about, was outfitted at last minute to house a ragtag group of researchers protected by a platoon of men (remember that they mentioned that the operation was put together in a hurry?)

MissJacksonCA
17-Jul-2007, 07:44 PM
By natural progression of things... I mean he starts with zombies coming into the picture... what happens next? What's logical or naturally occurring next still creates a great movie. He did it in NOTLD... zombie came into the picture... people fled to where they could from different woks of life and wound up at the same farmhouse... tensions rose etc... it followed a progression...

I just dont get why they could see, hear, and touch (as seen in Dawn when Peter and Stephen were securing the doors and using a torch the zombie recoiled when the flame came near) but not smell? You make a good point that it wasn't exactly proven in the movies that they couldn't smell but i'm just curious.

Thinking of Land of the Dead its possible they could smell... in the beginning with Riley he said 'they know we're here' ...was that based on their sense of smell or did they have a sixth sense?

Yojimbo
17-Jul-2007, 08:00 PM
By natural progression of things... I mean he starts with zombies coming into the picture... what happens next? What's logical or naturally occurring next still creates a great movie. He did it in NOTLD... zombie came into the picture... people fled to where they could from different woks of life and wound up at the same farmhouse... tensions rose etc... it followed a progression...

I just dont get why they could see, hear, and touch (as seen in Dawn when Peter and Stephen were securing the doors and using a torch the zombie recoiled when the flame came near) but not smell? You make a good point that it wasn't exactly proven in the movies that they couldn't smell but i'm just curious.

Thinking of Land of the Dead its possible they could smell... in the beginning with Riley he said 'they know we're here' ...was that based on their sense of smell or did they have a sixth sense?

Come to think of it, I do recall Big Daddy giving a couple of sniffs of air before Riley made that statement. So perhaps right there is and indication that they can indeed smell.

A standing theme in Romero's dead films is that the dead are progressing-- that is to say that they are slowly gaining more and more abilities. In dawn , for instance, it is mentioned that they can use tools and have limited reasoning capability, then in DAY you have BUB the amazing zombie. So perhaps the ability to smell had to be developed over time.

I still maintain that they probably had the ability to smell all along, but the scene you referenced in LAND does indicate an on screen verification of this ability.

MissJacksonCA
17-Jul-2007, 08:03 PM
lol bub the amazing zombie... sideshow freak

In NOTLD they had some reasoning ability and used tools to get at their food... like when whats his name picks up the rock to get to Barb... and if I recall correctly towards the end of the movie when they were trying to get into the house they figured out to rip at the boards on the windows...

I didn't see a lotta progression in the zombies in Dawn but then Romero went progressive crazy in Day and Land... and you ARE right BD does take a big whiff of air in Land... which is funny because they shouldn't need to breathe seeing as they're dead and all so perhaps it was to sniff out the enemy

Yojimbo
17-Jul-2007, 08:33 PM
Gotta say, though, I think that is the first time that is established.

The only other thing I dispute that you said was that Romero was "careless" in his movie making. Thems fighting words!:lol:

MissJacksonCA
17-Jul-2007, 09:04 PM
i'll put'cha down like a wild hog boi... :elol:

I still think he was careless because there's some questions about his films in the series but they were still good films...

aljuweind
17-Jul-2007, 09:24 PM
This comment was removed from this post.

MissJacksonCA
17-Jul-2007, 09:26 PM
so the zombies knew a helicopter housed food?

aljuweind
17-Jul-2007, 09:28 PM
This comment was also removed.

Yojimbo
17-Jul-2007, 09:29 PM
[QUOTE=MissJacksonCA;103833]i'll put'cha down like a wild hog boi... :elol:
[QUOTE]

Sounds like a challenge. Might be kind of fun :sneaky:

Yes, there are a lot of unresolved questions that Romero's films bring up, but I hesitate to characterize these as a figment of carelessness. Who else would notice these questions except freaks like us anyways? :elol:

MissJacksonCA
17-Jul-2007, 09:31 PM
well since you just called me a freak... arrrrghhh...

eh its an opinion i think of as being careless... but perhaps one day when the pigmen roam free i'll get my answers!

Yojimbo
17-Jul-2007, 10:16 PM
Maybe.. maybe its something shiny that they associated with "food" at one point so they followed it.

Or they associated the helicopter with "live people" which in the mind of ghouls equates to "food"

darth los
17-Jul-2007, 11:02 PM
so the zombies knew a helicopter housed food?

Zombies aren't that dumb, especially when it comes to instinctual matters such as food. In dawn one knew that a tire iron can smash a window in order to get to food. In NOTLD hinzman knew that a rock could smash a window in order to get to food. Anyone notice a pattern of behavior here?:confused:

Yojimbo
17-Jul-2007, 11:24 PM
Zombies aren't that dumb, especially when it comes to instinctual matters such as food. In dawn one knew that a tire iron can smash a window in order to get to food. In NOTLD hinzman knew that a rock could smash a window in order to get to food. Anyone notice a pattern of behavior here?:confused:

Ghouls like to smash things? Just kidding. Point well taken, darth.

darth los
17-Jul-2007, 11:49 PM
Ghouls like to smash things? Just kidding. Point well taken, darth.

There's another instance i forgot about when in NOTLD the little zombie girl karen kills her mother with a gardening tool. So as you guys can see, when it's in the pursuit of a meal zombies can be smart and improvisational.

MissJacksonCA
18-Jul-2007, 12:17 AM
so you're equating using a tool to kill someone as being the same as recognising that something moving up in the sky has food in it? that's a bit of a stretch...

Yojimbo
18-Jul-2007, 12:17 AM
well since you just called me a freak... arrrrghhh...

eh its an opinion i think of as being careless... but perhaps one day when the pigmen roam free i'll get my answers!

Sorry that was meant in a nice way, not meant to draw blood. I withdraw my assertion that you are a freak and admit that I am. :sneaky:

MissJacksonCA
18-Jul-2007, 12:40 AM
I was being facetious knowing full well that technically I am a freak... I love torture porn and zombie flicks and horror movies and generally groan at the mere thought of dramas, comedies, and musicals like most females. I'm in the minority and that makes me a bit of a freak. Its cool. I embrace it. :sneaky:

Danny
18-Jul-2007, 01:14 AM
you dont like musicals!:eek:

what about the happieness of the katakuris woman?!?

MissJacksonCA
18-Jul-2007, 01:46 AM
say what now? uhm.. oh dear... come to think of it I should take that back actually... I hate BROADWAY musicals... I enjoy operas but generally any occasion where you get to dress up and use binoculars is fun... whether its at the opera or sitting on your porch spying on the neighbor when her husband is out of town...

darth los
18-Jul-2007, 01:53 AM
I enjoy operas but generally any occasion where you get to dress up and use binoculars is fun... whether its at the opera or sitting on your porch spying on the neighbor when her husband is out of town...

don't forget your pez dispenser !! :D

MissJacksonCA
18-Jul-2007, 12:05 PM
that was a piano recital ... at the opera where they ran into Joe Divola they managed to behave like adults

Yojimbo
18-Jul-2007, 04:58 PM
that was a piano recital ... at the opera where they ran into Joe Divola they managed to behave like adults

Joe Divola, the crazy karate clown. Now that's a man to aspire to be!:lol:

MissJacksonCA
19-Jul-2007, 01:05 AM
the question is... do you kaibash? have you kaibashed before and will you kaibash again?

darth los
19-Jul-2007, 01:08 AM
the question is... do you kaibash? have you kaibashed before and will you kaibash again?

She certainly had her fair share of psycho boyfriends didn't she? Remember that jealous psychiatrist she went out with?

MissJacksonCA
19-Jul-2007, 01:13 AM
yeah but the show was more than a little fair giving the boys nutzo girlfriends too...

i think her most psycho boyfriend was the guy who got the vasectomy after she said she had no interest in having children... then of course he tells her he got it right after she figures out she might want them lol...

if zombies ever come to life i shall look into the past to old seinfeld episodes to keep my sense of humor alive ...

Yojimbo
19-Jul-2007, 01:21 AM

I have or have not depending on what you mean by kaibash, bearing in mind that kaibashing is nothing like a kaibash and to kaibash can be worlds away from being kaibashed, which, though may bear some similarities to a kaibash is actually more similar to kaibashed than kaibashing... oh crap I'm getting confused.

darth los
20-Jul-2007, 03:35 AM
WTF!?! :confused: ^^

Yojimbo
20-Jul-2007, 04:44 PM
WTF!?! :confused: ^^

Yeah, makes little sense I agree. Bastardization of the hebrew term "kibosh", but now can mean a variety of things from kicking ass, stopping someone, or party down.

MissJacksonCA
20-Jul-2007, 04:45 PM
does anyone actually know what it really means?

Blackdragon6
22-Jul-2007, 10:47 PM
I thought 28 Weeks Later was OK... The first half I thought was excellent, but the latter half (almost like the original) just went daft...the irony huh?

`

darth los
22-Jul-2007, 10:49 PM
I felt the same about children of men. Good concept but didn't keep it up all the way through.

capncnut
23-Jul-2007, 07:21 PM
I felt the same about children of men. Good concept but didn't keep it up all the way through.
I thought the last half of Children of Men was 50 times better than the first half.

darth los
23-Jul-2007, 08:48 PM
I thought the last half of Children of Men was 50 times better than the first half.

I own the flick and i don't regret buying it. But i expected it to be like the movie of the year or something. I was bummed when i couldn't make it to the theaters to see it. I felt better after watching it on dvd though. I didn't feel like i missed out on this big event.