PDA

View Full Version : I know we shouldnt mock the afflicted but..

Tricky
05-Jul-2007, 10:23 PM
..this tourettes guy really creased me up,the clip is all footage taken from a documentary about the guy.He makes a joke of his condition for most of the full documentary so dont feel guilty for laughing..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWYeAeG4wfU

EvilNed
05-Jul-2007, 10:47 PM
Haha, when he swears to that little kid!

Danny
06-Jul-2007, 01:42 AM
man torretts would suck beyond belief to have but i gotta admit as much as i know its bad taste i cant keep the laugh down.

im going to hell i know, but ill die laughing so..*shrugs*

darth los
06-Jul-2007, 04:41 AM
man torretts would suck beyond belief to have but i gotta admit as much as i know its bad taste i cant keep the laugh down.

im going to hell i know, but ill die laughing so..*shrugs*

That is some f'ed up stuff to have. But you guys are right, it is funny though. What would you rather have though, torretts or narcalepsy? :bored:

Danny
06-Jul-2007, 10:35 AM
damn...thats a toughie, im gonna say narcolepsy since i dont drive or owt so ill just like fall asleep without killing myself and taking other people with me.

MinionZombie
06-Jul-2007, 11:43 AM
I'll say narcolepsy as well, as long as you're awake you're fine, but tourettes pops up when you least expect it sometimes.

And indeed, it'd be awful to have and hopefully there'll be a cure one day, but you have to laugh so you don't choke to death on your own hands muffling your mouth, I guess we laugh at what we're scared of too, so that's a part of it...and indeed, "f*ckin' arse!" being yelled at that kid was oddly funny...ahhh...we're all going to hell for that, thanks Tricky! :rolleyes::lol:

EvilNed
06-Jul-2007, 01:19 PM
I know a guy with narcolepsi, and it isn't that bad. It's not that you suddenly fall asleep. You're just very tired sometimes when you have to sit still, such as at lectures. And once you go to sleep you enter directly into REM sleep (deep sleep, that is). It's not Deuce Bigalow stuff. :p

coma
06-Jul-2007, 04:06 PM
I know a guy with narcolepsi, and it isn't that bad. It's not that you suddenly fall asleep. You're just very tired sometimes when you have to sit still, such as at lectures. And once you go to sleep you enter directly into REM sleep (deep sleep, that is). It's not Deuce Bigalow stuff. :p
Not always true. My aunt had it and she would pass out in the middle of a sentence. She had to take amphetamines to keep from passing out.

Also, I had a friend when I was a kid with torrets and he woukld make funny noises and facial gestures. He didnt do the cursing thing. My friends versio is way more common but not so obvious

Tricky
06-Jul-2007, 05:12 PM
as ive mentioned before ive got OCD,& that is very closely related to tourettes!a tourette sufferers brain throws out & verbalises the worst possible words that the person can think of,& they just pop out with no control over them!it doesnt make the person evil or mad etc,and the same goes for OCD,except rather than blurting out swearwords,the brain just keeps popping in the worst or scariest thoughts that the person can think of whenever they see & hear anything or are in any situation that triggers them off!so i do sympathise with tourettes sufferers & understand how the condition works.Its still funny to watch their outbursts though :lol:

on that clip its the bit when he says "im gay" that gets me the most

darth los
06-Jul-2007, 05:19 PM
It's not Deuce Bigalow stuff. :p

You mean the movie lied !?! :eek: (Props to anyone who can tell me where that line is from).

EvilNed
06-Jul-2007, 06:03 PM
You mean the movie lied !?! :eek: (Props to anyone who can tell me where that line is from).

That's not a bad question, Burt!

flyboy
06-Jul-2007, 06:48 PM
i knew i guy with tourettes, and he was a really decent guy.:)

capncnut
06-Jul-2007, 07:13 PM
Yeah my uncle has tourette's and he makes that clip look U rated. He has always seen the funny side of it and often plays the cruellest pranks. One I remember involved his daughter when she brought round her first boyfriend (she was only like 15 or 16) and my uncle started his "POOF! C**T! F**K-F**K! WANKER!" routine. You could tell she was a little bothered by this and the 'ticks' started to get worse, increasing in frequency and ferociousness. It was then that I noticed my uncle was winking at me, like he was faking the whole thing...

But jokes aside, it's a terrible thing to have to go through. And the worse thing is they know they're gonna say something rotten but there isn't a damn thing they can do to stop it.

EvilNed
06-Jul-2007, 07:38 PM
I wonder how many wars have been started thanks to tourettes.

MinionZombie
06-Jul-2007, 07:45 PM
Indeed, there's a guilty giggle in that clip, but it's a terrible affliction, must be really frustrating to not be in control...as a bit of a control freak myself I'd hate to be that out of my own control.

I can understand the thing you're saying about unwanted thoughts, we spoke before a few weeks/months back and you were saying you thought I've got a touch of OCD or OCD tendancies...I understand the thoughts thing, I often get song lyrics - negative lyrics - stuck in my head in a loop and then my brain links the lyrics to an image or thought of someone, a family member or friend and it makes me feel guilty and then I have to say to myself something like "just singing that lyric stuck in my head, means nothing..." to make me feel less tense about it...it's annoying, tad worrying, but as you said before - mild...so that I can be thankful for...but makes me understand, or better understand the lack of control and frustration folk with full on OCD or tourettes or whatever go through.

Don't really like to talk about it, it's annoying enough when a flourish crops up, so it's nice when you're back to normal waves, so I like to maximise the latter...not that I'm desperate or anything...okay, can't really explain it, not trying to band-wagon jump or get sympathy, just chipping in to the conversation.

darth los
06-Jul-2007, 08:18 PM
That's not a bad question, Burt!

Two points !! :)

I wonder how many wars have been started thanks to tourettes.

That's definitely something to think about. :lol:

MissJacksonCA
07-Jul-2007, 11:16 AM
I felt dirty after watching that

darth los
07-Jul-2007, 03:13 PM
I felt dirty after watching that

Sometimes it's good to be dirty. :elol: There's always a shower you know.

MissJacksonCA
08-Jul-2007, 02:59 AM
Funny... very funny... :barf: