PDA

View Full Version : THIS ... IS ... SPAR ...er... MZ's ... REVIEW!!!!!!!!!! (300)

MinionZombie
06-Jul-2007, 10:28 PM
Okay, so I finally got around to watching "300" this afternoon, and here's what I thought:

Pretty much 300 Yawns for the first 45 minutes, dodgy narration (what a weird voice), generally a bit blah, there didn't feel like there was much bite to the Spartan training from childhood...then of course - king & queen - they're deep characters because they shag each other and she gets her norks out...wow. :rolleyes:

Weird crap with those mountain-top nutters who perv on young girls, that's all rather daft, so from here I was feeling confirmed in that this must be about 3% history, 97% bollocks. :lol:

Then the fighting starts and it gets entertaining, it's completely unashamed in how it goes about all the strutting around making rousing speeches before the slow motion takes over the entire universe (seriously, this flick must be about 30 minutes without all the slow mo - the South Park parody was superb).

Visually impressive, but pretty pictures doesn't make a great film, and therein lies the problem, bugger all plot and you don't give a bollocks about anyone but Gerrard Butler's shouty King with that pointy beard and odd 6-or-8-pack. So yeah, visually impressive - but it gets tiring, all that yellow grading...and to be honest, some shots looked really daft, it looked like it was anime in the background and real life up front, other shots looked really obviously in front of green screen, which takes you out of things.

So back to the fighting - all those giant elephants and such were ridiculous, I thought that was pointless, a few shots and they're falling off a cliff. :rolleyes: Then that Rhino thing, gets poked in the eye and it's dead...and now, my thoughts on the ending:

They're supposed to be rock hard soldiers who defend each other and all this, yet they seem to get slain ever-so bleeding fast - no doubt all the slow motion used up so much damn time they had to rush the ending. They take on shedloads of people, even a monsoon of arrows, and yet the second time around they don't do the ball-of-shields trick?! They seem to just give up at the end ... wait ... what about all that "this is sparrrrtaaaaaaaaaaaa" stuff? Fight to the death ... but a pretty piss easy death compared to their fighting earlier on in the film.

Then a year later and all of a sudden they've got 30,000 f*cking soldiers now?! WTF?!

The ending was a big pile of what?

Finally - oh blimey - that must be the gayest film ever committed to film. :lol: 300 bronzed and sweaty, muscle-bound men in sandals, tight leather pants, red capes and foofy-topped helmets all huddling together...bloody nora, I mean that's really ... REALLY gay. :lol: Not denouncing gays, it's just that ... damn ... this movie is MASSIVELY GAY. :lol:

Also - I can completely understand why this movie killed in America. But thinking of the gay angle, I wonder how many Americans from gay-hatin' places like Alabama went to this flick and loved it? :rockbrow::lol:

Finally, did anyone else get a "the Persians are the Iraqi terrorists and the Greeks are the Americans" vibe from the film? I totally did throughout, it was unashamedly so.

So ... if you're looking specifically for rousing pre-battle speeches, oodles of slow motion and loads of muscly, sweaty blokes stabbing each other then you can't go far wrong to be honest, but if you want depth ... or an ending that makes any shred of sense ... or not so much CGI, then you're f*cked.

Gerrard Butler was brilliant in it though, he did the whole shouty King warrior thing really well. :) Over all, hmmm ... 5 or 6 out of 10 ... probably 5 due to the over-all inconsistencies and vapid lack of substance. But the battles are pretty good guilty pleasures.

EvilNed
06-Jul-2007, 11:11 PM
As I mentioned when I first saw the film, it's actually frighteningly similar to the old Nazi propaganda film Jud Süß, where the good guys are blonde, the bad guys are foreigners, feminine or deformed. It's as if Joseph Goebbels directed 300.

Spoiler below, if you haven't already seen it:

According to Herodotus, the Spartans also held out much longer (close to a day) during the final day. In the film, they last about 10 seconds. What? Why put a spoiler there, everyone knows they die!

darth los
06-Jul-2007, 11:21 PM
Why put a spoiler there, everyone knows they die!

They what!?! :(

MinionZombie
07-Jul-2007, 10:35 AM
I know, for a group of soldiers who are supposed to be highly trained and feared by all others, they get taken over so bloody quickly - by things they'd survived earlier one. Piss poor writing once again.

Basically, about 40 to 50 percent of the movie is worthwhile watching.

Gerrard Butler rocked though.

mista_mo
07-Jul-2007, 09:59 PM
...the background of the movie is plot enough.....

I agree with some of what you say though, specifically the random inserts of persian weirdness that only lasts around 10 seconds (elephant, rhino) and die right after they are seen. Keep in mind, the movie is based off the graphic novel 300, and is not a very accurate picture of what the battle was actually like- in anyway. Anyone who thinks so either needs to brush up on their history or is so enamoured by the shiney bits in the movie that they forget the actual history behind it.

The Queen was hot.

and more or less, (regarding your last sentance about the persians being terrorists) thats what it's like...the wild, evil foreign enemy encroaches on our domain and threatens us, so we end up becoming heros in the ensuring fights (although, imagine IF Greece had indeed fallen to the persians....) I agree.

and the slow mo was pulled off very well in the film...it shows all the details you wouldn't otherwise notice, but...man...for you mr.Director...

tone down on dat **** kthx