PDA

View Full Version : more my name is bruce news form the trusty nerds at aint it cool

Danny
07-Jul-2007, 12:12 AM
MY NAME IS BRUCE

So I got a chance to take in a screening of My Name is Bruce at the recent CineVegas film festival. It was a work in progress screening but aside from a few unfinished visuals and sound effects, it looked pretty complete.

My Name is Bruce was without question, the film I was most excited about at CineVegas 2007. I've always enjoyed Bruce Campbell's work. My fondness for this tenacious, physically adept actor dates back to 1981 when I first caught a glimpse of him in Sam Raimi's cult classic, Evil Dead. It would be that film's follow-up (the appropriately titled Evil Dead 2: Dead By Dawn) however, that would make me a big time fan.

Through the years, I always thought Campbell would make that leap to big time star. You know, like Harrison Ford only funnier. He certainly has the look for it. For whatever reason though, he's remained more of a cult icon with projects like The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. and Army of Darkness tucked firmly under his belt. Mr. Campbell's latest film (which he also directed) sort of plays on his cult icon status.

In My Name is Bruce, Campbell plays the toughest role of his career; himself. Actually, he's portraying an exaggerated version of himself. That of a smug, selfish, but undeniably likable B-movie actor.

As the film opens, four teenagers, residents of tiny Gold Lick Oregon, inadvertantley unleash an ancient demonic force (Asian in descent) while goofing around in the local graveyard. This supernatural creature takes it's wrath out on the adolescents, then turns it's sights on the rest of Gold Lick's townsfolk.

In a bid to save his town, a young horror enthusiast/Bruce Campbell fan, kidnaps Campbell from his trailer home, and tries to convince the actor to do his thing and put a stop to the supernatural invader. Meanwhile, most of the Gold Lick townsfolk are convinced that Campbell is actually Ash, the Deadite slaying soldier from Evil Dead.

What I wanted from My Name is Bruce is what the synopsis made it sound like. A fusion of Being John Malkovich, Evil Dead, Galaxy Quest, and Three Amigos with Campbell leading the charge. Sadly, the film comes up short.

This is strictly a Bruce Campbell fan affair. But then I'm a fan and I didn't succumb to it's easy to digest charms. Simply put, My Name is Bruce is not extreme or scary enough to appease the horror junkies in the audience but not clever or humorous enough to win over the Campbell fans. Not this fan anyway. Even the abundance of self referential humor mostly falls flat (lots of jokes at the expense of Campbell's B-movie resume).

Bruce Campbell's performance is fun enough, but I expected a bit more from Campbell the director. With all his experience on Sam Raimi sets, you'd think he'd be a little more creative behind the camera. Sadly, My Name is Bruce doesn't really exude style and the pacing is all over the place. There are a couple of nifty visual gags with the goofy looking monster (he sort of looks like an Ultraman villain), and I got a kick out of the bizarre Jonathan Richman style musical numbers that book end the movie. It was also amusing watching Campbell buddy Ted Raimi play multiple roles. Ultimately though, there really isn't too much to scream about in terms of visual bravado.

Campbell is capable of memorable work. Bubba Ho-Tep is a perfect example. Yes, that strange Don Coscarelli movie is odd to be sure, but it works on several levels, and Campbell commits 100%. In that movie, he defies mere impersonation. Campbell is Elvis in Bubba Ho-Tep. A feisty, elderly, mummy ass whooping version of the King. And quite frankly, he's much more compelling as an exaggerated version of Presley in Bubba than he is of himself in this flick. Furthermore, check out Campbell in those recent Old Spice ads. Not only are they hip and cool. They're simply hilarious. Somehow, this flick lacks the joy of Campbell's previously mentioned works.

This is a low budget love letter to Bruce Campbell fans, and while it's hardly a masterpiece, I wouldn't go so far as to say it's dog **** either. Furthermore, it's altogether possible that with a little editing, the film could be immeasurably improved. Stranger things have happened. Obviously Campbell is capable of much better work to be sure, but if you like really cheesy B-movies or if you're a Bruce Campbell fan who thinks the sun sets and rises with the chin, you could do much worse than My Name is Bruce.

The highlight of the My Name is Bruce screening came in the form of the Q & A that followed. Campbell was on hand to field a barrage of retarded questions from the eager audience. One guy even mustered up the courage to ask when we might get a Bruce Campbell nude scene to which the chin gleefully replied; " Are you gay?" Campbell has a quick wit about him and when you watch him speak at functions like this, it's like watching a great comedian at work. Campbell was also asked about a Bubba Ho-Tep sequel and I'm sad to report that his reply was not what I hoped for. He said that there hasn't really been any talk of it and that if it did happen, he probably wouldn't be involved (I've heard in other circles that Paul Giamatti might have something to do with the project). On a final note, no one fielded any Evil Dead 4 questions which is probably a good thing, because I made that fatal mistake once. Back at the Bubba Ho-Tep premiere in 2002 I asked Mr. Campbell if Evil Dead 4 was in the cards, and almost immediately it became apparent to me that he's tired of being asked that ****ing question. In his defense, I'm sure a day doesn't go by when someone doesn't come up to him and ask about the further adventures of Ash. Anyway, the Bruce Campbell Q & A definitely made the My Name is Bruce screening worth the price of admission.

still not sure what to make fo this, though i can see what he means, ho-tep is an underated yet brilliant piece of cinema and one of bruces greatest roles, but im not expecting anything other than a b movie, maybe above a troma movie but below shaun of the dead.
still cant wait though, but what do you reckon, like EVERY bruce film, itll be striaght to dvd in the uk?:mad:

MikePizzoff
07-Jul-2007, 02:59 PM
This is not the review I wanted to read. :(

capncnut
07-Jul-2007, 05:42 PM
I'll wait until I see it myself before I cast judgement. I don't regard AICN as the last word on movies whatsoever.

Danny
07-Jul-2007, 05:54 PM
me niether, but they are good for news though, probably just means theyve got no life though.

MinionZombie
07-Jul-2007, 09:18 PM
Interesting, more of less the opposite of what another AICN person said about the film. I read a similar digested review of the film (a version which was incomplete I might add) and the person loved it.

Bring it on, I'm just excited to see it, I don't do expectations, that always f*cks a movie up for a viewer, just be excited to see it and leave it at that. :)