PDA

View Full Version : Cult Classics?

darth los
07-Jul-2007, 01:58 AM
WE always go on about how movies nowdays suck. This article intrigued me because looking back these "cult classics" are almost comedic and don't hold up very well. Is nostalgia clouding our judgment? Or is a bad movie bad no matter how much time passes? This actually makes me apreciate the original NOTLD even more because it still is very scary to watch and never seems "comedically bad" when it's trying to be dead serious.

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/801/801696p1.html

capncnut
07-Jul-2007, 04:39 PM
I dunno man, I really like some of those old cheesy sci-fi flicks. But NOTLD is different, it was recently inducted in the Museum of Modern Art... now that's special.

darth los
07-Jul-2007, 04:43 PM
I dunno man, I really like some of those old cheesy sci-fi flicks. But NOTLD is different, it was recently inducted in the Museum of Modern Art... now that's special.

It's definitely a standout film. it was also inducted into amearica's national film registry some years back as well. i guess it's universally recognized as a classic.

ash
07-Jul-2007, 04:59 PM
I don't think you can call NotLD campy. It actually can't be put alongside those other movies, because this film actually changed the genre, it was actually the first truely scary horror movie, and it didn't follow any of the cliches that were in place.

EvilNed
07-Jul-2007, 06:59 PM
Night of the living Dead is a classic, it's not a cult classic.

Cult classic is a term thrown around way to often these days. It means a film that was initially unsuccesfull but has since found a large underground fanbase away from the mainstream. As such, The Thing is a cult classic. Halloween is not a cult classic, it's a classic.

RustyHicks
07-Jul-2007, 08:10 PM
White zombie,
the blob
physcho
Little shop of horrors

Some of those old 50's b movies
were corny and yet great in some way.
NOTLD isn't one of them, Night set
the standards for other zombie type movies

MissJacksonCA
08-Jul-2007, 03:24 AM
I agree there's classics like NOTLD (which I just recently saw) and then there's cult classics that are kinda shunned by reviewers and make no ripples at the box office but then they really have a tremendous following by viewers once released.

darth los
08-Jul-2007, 03:58 AM
I agree there's classics like NOTLD (which I just recently saw) and then there's cult classics that are kinda shunned by reviewers and make no ripples at the box office but then they really have a tremendous following by viewers once released.

Wouldn't that be what NOTLD was? I've heard it straight from GAR'S mouth that it wasn't a big success upon release but it got rediscovered overseas and then really took off.

MissJacksonCA
08-Jul-2007, 04:16 AM
how should i know? I dont watch GAR during interviews, didn't watch special features for NOTLD... didn't read up on it, and wasn't alive in the 60s?

coma
08-Jul-2007, 04:46 AM
Wouldn't that be what NOTLD was? I've heard it straight from GAR'S mouth that it wasn't a big success upon release but it got rediscovered overseas and then really took off.
Night is a cult classic that eventually got recognized for the true genre transcending classic that it is.

how should i know? I dont watch GAR during interviews, didn't watch special features for NOTLD... didn't read up on it, and wasn't alive in the 60s?
For Shame!:lol:

I don't think you can call NotLD campy. It actually can't be put alongside those other movies, because this film actually changed the genre, it was actually the first truely scary horror movie, and it didn't follow any of the cliches that were in place.
Generally all cult films (true cult films not manufactured ass liek 100 corpses) are unique, non cliche ridden and often are creators of genres or sub genres. NOTLD (yes, NON cheesy) started off mostly unnoticed and slowly built up to be the monster it was. It took YEARS.

darth los
08-Jul-2007, 04:52 AM

We need to send you to "re-education" camp then. That's like the bible of zombiedom. You can't credibly discuss anything zombie related unless you know the ins and outs of that film and the story behind making it.

EvilNed
08-Jul-2007, 12:43 PM
By being "rediscovered" overseas, do you mean that it's European run went better than its US run, and this prompted the US to re-review it? That still counts as it's original run being succesfull.

But if you mean that it was rediscovered after a few years, that makes it a cult classic.