PDA

View Full Version : Silent Hill to PSP

darth los
07-Jul-2007, 02:59 AM
First off this is going to be a psp exclusive ( buy one hells :p ) but if it's successful it's a good bet that it will be ported to the ps2 at some point just like the 2 gta titles for the psp were. They say it's taking a page oout of the re 4 book in being more action oriented which is fine by me. It's also going to be a prequel as the title indicates. I've got high hopes for this one. It sucks having to wait 2-3 years for a decent survival horror game. RE 5 can't come soon enough for me. Hopefully this will tide me over until then.

http://psp.ign.com/articles/801/801927p1.html

Danny
07-Jul-2007, 01:06 PM
damn man, thats real old news. theres been a section on the silent hill forum for origins for around a year now, and im pretty sure theres a few threads on here about it.
and speaking as a long time silent hill fan, its totally ripping off resident evil 4.

MikePizzoff
07-Jul-2007, 02:53 PM
Yeah, Hellsing has mentioned this a bunch of times. E for effort, though.

darth los
07-Jul-2007, 02:58 PM
damn man, thats real old news. theres been a section on the silent hill forum for origins for around a year now, and im pretty sure theres a few threads on here about it.
and speaking as a long time silent hill fan, its totally ripping off resident evil 4.

As long as they rip it off "right" it'll be good. They could do alot worde than to copy one of the greatest games ever made. Wouldn't it be nice if someone would rip off gar's movies "right". I mean they do it anyway. We might have some decent flicks.

capncnut
07-Jul-2007, 05:39 PM
Yeah, this was announced way back when I joined last September. There are already some gripes with the way it handles on the PSP and a PS2 version has been hinted at for some time now. I would rather wait until Silent Hill 5 personally. I mean Origins looks good (plus it's got Harry Mason, Dahlia and Dr Kaufman from the original game) but I wanna see a real next-gen SH effort.

Plus I hate PSP's, the little RSI inducing sonoabitches. I much prefer the DS any day of the week.

Danny
07-Jul-2007, 05:51 PM
same here, if the psp were cheaper than a wii id buy one but hell <---- even optimus prime loves the ds:D

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/khazrak/050307.jpg

darth los
07-Jul-2007, 07:40 PM
The psp is now $170 hells, it's not going to get much cheaper than that.

capncnut
07-Jul-2007, 08:40 PM
£130 over here with a selected game (roughly $260), a Nintendo Wii is only £40 more...

darth los
07-Jul-2007, 08:44 PM
£130 over here with a selected game, (roughly $260). A Nintendo Wii is only £40 more...

:eek: That's really fu**ed up. They really give you guys the shaft over there in europe, huh? Why do you think that they continue to treat the european consumer base as bad as they do?

capncnut
07-Jul-2007, 09:34 PM
We have a mythical beast in the UK but it's a real-life creature, it's called The Taxman. He's much more ruthless than most of his kind, over here we fear this man like Christians fear Satan. :D

Can you believe the RRP on the double DVD of Hot Fuzz is £24.99 (okay it's cheaper if you look around) but that's the 'official' asking price. That's fiddy bucks man! :eek:

Danny
07-Jul-2007, 11:08 PM
15 for me in hoom'v thats still like 28 bucks.:dead:

capncnut
09-Jul-2007, 10:37 PM
I'm not sure if I like the Resi 4 style controls with Silent Hill 5, I want it more... traditional.

Danny
09-Jul-2007, 10:41 PM
aye, without the static camera angles it just becomes another 3rd person shooter.

darth los
09-Jul-2007, 11:16 PM
aye, without the static camera angles it just becomes another 3rd person shooter.

Thinhgs must change hells. I'm an re purist myself and i have to conceed that re 4 is one of the greatest games of all time. I love the old static camera and pre rendered backrounds but all franchises must try something new.

Danny
10-Jul-2007, 12:05 AM
yes but silent hill is pyschological horror, resi is action horror so what works for one wont necisarily work for the other.

darth los
10-Jul-2007, 12:39 AM
yes but silent hill is pyschological horror, resi is action horror so what works for one wont necisarily work for the other.

Resident evil 4 is the only one in the action horror catagory you mentioned. The rest of the series is survival horror, while differently themed than silent hill re was definitely not action based. If that's what you were buying those games for you would have been sorely disapointed. They were more focussed on survival and puzzle solving.

Danny
10-Jul-2007, 12:49 AM
....i have no idea what you mean.:rockbrow:

darth los
10-Jul-2007, 01:17 AM
....i have no idea what you mean.:rockbrow:

The differences between silent hill and re silly. :rolleyes:

Danny
10-Jul-2007, 03:13 AM
oh, i didnt get how you typed it. well resi 3 ended with you using a top secret laser cannon to destroy a giant monster, thats action more than horror no matter hwo you look at it, and look at the protagonists, all typical action movie types, i mean do you ever feel that these charcters cannot handle themselves, one of the key elements of pure survival horror is creating a feeling that the character you are playing as has little to no chance of survival against impossible odds.
which is odd considering resident evil 1 was the first game to coin the term survival horror, though not the first in the genre of course.

Cody
10-Jul-2007, 06:32 PM
this is gonna be pretty tyte

capncnut
10-Jul-2007, 09:43 PM
resi 3 ended with you using a top secret laser cannon to destroy a giant monster, thats action more than horror no matter hwo you look at it, and look at the protagonists, all typical action movie types...
I think this is why I prefer Silent Hill to Resi. It's more believeable, even though the creatures are twice as ridiculous.

darth los
11-Jul-2007, 01:00 AM
I think this is why I prefer Silent Hill to Resi. It's more believeable, even though the creatures are twice as ridiculous.

It's always funny to me how when people say in a game or in a movie that something isn't real enough. Like " The way that wizard disposed of that demon looked totally fake." Well just look at what we're talking about here. Two mythical things. How do we know what that's supposed to look like? The premise of Every game we play is far fetched at best. The bottom line is that it's entertainment. It can't be taken at face value, it's all fake. I guess some people find some things more believable than others and it comes down to personal taste.

Danny
11-Jul-2007, 02:38 AM
silent hill : creatures look insanes becuase they are created by the town projecting the protagonists inner most subconsious into the pysical world. you cant say how "realistic" it is, becuase its an individuals inner fears (see what i did there cap?;) ) given form, theres no frame of reference.

resident evil: takes the sci-fi route and talks about how the t virus works, adn why they arent zombies but still crave the lfesh of people (to repelnish there own cells since that holds them off from cannibilizing each other- the cells not the zombies). it tries to give it realism by using biology to describe how a giant worm exists, or why something, no matter hwo tough, made of organic matter can survive a missile at point blank range.

call it a hunch but im inclined to believe the same way as cap that silent hill is the way to go. cus like it or not, resident evil is inspired by b-movies, so thats gotta translate into the game, wereas silent hill was inspired by the stephen king story "the mist", ones pychological horror, the others action horror.

capncnut
11-Jul-2007, 04:45 PM
you cant say how "realistic" it is, becuase its an individuals inner fears (see what i did there cap?;)) given form, theres no frame of reference.
F**kin' genius there, son. :D