PDA

View Full Version : back to the future 1,2,3...

flyboy
07-Jul-2007, 07:35 PM
who here likes thease films?? i absolutley love them. micheal j fox was brilliant along with christopher lioyd in all 3.my fav is bttf 2.what about you guys? do you like them?:cool:

RustyHicks
07-Jul-2007, 07:37 PM
I've seen BTTF 1 and 2,
been years since I've seen the 3rd one.
They are good, good comedies and
unique story lines

bassman
07-Jul-2007, 07:59 PM
"What the hell's a jigawatt????"

darth los
07-Jul-2007, 08:22 PM
who here likes thease films?? i absolutley love them. micheal j fox was brilliant along with christopher lioyd in all 3.my fav is bttf 2.what about you guys? do you like them?:cool:

1 is an absolute classic, 2 i'm luke warm on and 3 i find unwatchable. All i want to know is when are we going to get our hoverboards dammitt!! :mad:

MinionZombie
07-Jul-2007, 09:15 PM
Those three films are so intrinsicly important to my whole life growing up that they're so beloved to me. I absolutely love them, perfect films. :)

Danny
07-Jul-2007, 11:25 PM
i love those movies, how can you not?, im a sucker for westerns (cant wait to get call of juarez) so 3's definatley my favourite.

EvilNed
08-Jul-2007, 12:14 AM
1 is my favourite of them, it's just such a classic. I love that film. I don't really like 2 that much, but I suppose it's OK. Last time I watched it I turned off half-way through and never finished it. That was years ago. 3 is a good adventure. I like it better than the second one, and I might even like it better now seeing as I've grown a liking for westerns!

darth los
08-Jul-2007, 12:25 AM
1 is my favourite of them, it's just such a classic. I love that film. I don't really like 2 that much, but I suppose it's OK. Last time I watched it I turned off half-way through and never finished it. That was years ago. 3 is a good adventure. I like it better than the second one, and I might even like it better now seeing as I've grown a liking for westerns!

I feel the same way. For me it was the way the second one rehashed so much of the stuff from the first one. It's one of those sequels that tries to stick with the formula from the original but fails in every aspect. It's still a decent film but it suffers from the same shortcomings that land does when you try to compare it to dawn, the best in the series.

MissJacksonCA
08-Jul-2007, 03:21 AM
I love 'em too. My favorite was Part 2 which was more like To the Future, and then back to the Past... they were classic films and sadly I think the movie typecast Chris Lloyd and he's just kinda disappeared since :( Love MJFox though... Teen Wolf anyone?

bassman
08-Jul-2007, 04:55 AM
Those three films are so intrinsicly important to my whole life growing up that they're so beloved to me. I absolutely love them, perfect films. :)

I could not have said it better myself, bro.....

Marty McFly and Dr. Emmett Brown will be with me until I reach the grave.

"This is heavy":cool:

darth los
08-Jul-2007, 05:00 AM
Anybody know the name of the mall where the parking lot they were in was before and after he time traveled? Just thought i'd start some trivia since you guys love this film so much. :D

MissJacksonCA
08-Jul-2007, 05:11 AM
Puente Hills Mall... City of Industry, California

Looks entirely different

darth los
08-Jul-2007, 05:13 AM
Puente Hills Mall... City of Industry, California

Looks entirely different

I meant what the mall was called in the actual movie. :p

MissJacksonCA
08-Jul-2007, 05:15 AM
Twin Pines Mall...

darth los
08-Jul-2007, 05:17 AM
Twin Pines Mall...

And after he came back it was called , Lone Pine Mall due to the fact that marty crushed one of the pine trees when he went back in time.

What was the name of the party where marty's mom and dad fell in love?

MinionZombie
08-Jul-2007, 10:18 AM
Darth - "the enchantment under the sea" dance I think...something under the sea anyway. There was a great Family Guy spoof of it recently.

Bassman - "weight has nothing to do with it". :lol:

(woo, post quadruple-seven! :eek:)

EvilNed
08-Jul-2007, 01:04 PM
Enchantment under the Sea feels right.

In Superman 3, there's a similar dance with the exact same song. Kinda interesting. Came two years earlier tho.

darth los
08-Jul-2007, 04:14 PM
Darth - "the enchantment under the sea" dance I think...something under the sea anyway. There was a great Family Guy spoof of it recently.

Bassman - "weight has nothing to do with it". :lol:

(woo, post quadruple-seven! :eek:)

Correct !! :D

What were the four "power" sources used to fuel the delorean?

Danny
08-Jul-2007, 07:30 PM

i think its obligatory to have a back to the future spoof once per family guy season.

N_tZecUMJGQ

H8UlPR2MGcA

Xcwt72l4Aew

vuW1bmMmbZQ

MikePizzoff
08-Jul-2007, 10:59 PM
I'm sorry to say this, but, this is the only trilogy that beats the GAR trilogy (when it WAS a trilogy) for me, and, as most of you know Dawn is my favorite movie of all time, so that's saying something about the BTTF trilogy.

Most well thought out and probably flawless series of films. Ya know, aside from the fact that Jennifer is played by two different actress'.

bassman
09-Jul-2007, 03:55 PM
Most well thought out and probably flawless series of films. Ya know, aside from the fact that Jennifer is played by two different actress'.

It's actually got quite a few plot errors and other little mishaps. One of the biggest that I know of is in the second film. I'll try to explain....

When Biff steals the Delorean he travels to 1955 to give himself the sports almanac. He returns the Delorean to the future so that Doc and Marty won't know it was taken.....but the future is still as it was when he left. If Biff giving his younger self the almanac would instantly create an alternate 1985, why would the future be the same when he returned? The alternate timeline doesn't start until Doc and Marty return to 1985 for some reason.

Maybe they should have kept the original title of "Paradox" because that one is obvious....

EvilNed
09-Jul-2007, 03:59 PM
Yeah, Bassman. Infact, the second he handed over the almenac to the younger Biff, the time machine would probably disappear. Thus rendering the handover a paradoxal event in the first place. Then the universe would probably have blown up!

darth los
09-Jul-2007, 04:36 PM
Yeah, Bassman. Infact, the second he handed over the almenac to the younger Biff, the time machine would probably disappear. Thus rendering the handover a paradoxal event in the first place. Then the universe would probably have blown up!

I guess that gar is not the only one guilty of inconsistencies in his films. I have to admit guys, that one went right over my head.

MikePizzoff
09-Jul-2007, 04:52 PM
It's actually got quite a few plot errors and other little mishaps. One of the biggest that I know of is in the second film. I'll try to explain....

When Biff steals the Delorean he travels to 1955 to give himself the sports almanac. He returns the Delorean to the future so that Doc and Marty won't know it was taken.....but the future is still as it was when he left. If Biff giving his younger self the almanac would instantly create an alternate 1985, why would the future be the same when he returned? The alternate timeline doesn't start until Doc and Marty return to 1985 for some reason.

Maybe they should have kept the original title of "Paradox" because that one is obvious....

It takes time for the future to change. Remember when Marty shoved George out of the way of Loraine's Dad's car? Right then and there the picture of Marty and his brother & sister should have erased and he should have just disappeared. But it took some time because Marty still had the chance to get his parents together at the Enchantment Under The Sea dance because he was still in the original timeline. It would transform over into the alternate timeline AFTER George & Loraine were supposed to kiss but didn't.

Now, when old Biff returns from 1955 to 2015 you can see that he's already feeling effects of the timeline altering; when he steps out of the delorean he's having pains in his chest meaning his life is deteriorating rapidly, and apparently there is even a deleted scene saying that Biff died at some point in the 90's.

The reason 2015 didn't automatically changed into an alternate timeline is:
There is still the ORIGINAL timeline, in which Marty & The Doc are in; followed by the alternate timelines, which are where they would be the next time they went back. Doc explains this in his garage on the chalk board. They don't see the new timeline until the next time they "jump" through time; which is the case every time.

(bold because it's important to explanation)

MinionZombie
09-Jul-2007, 05:56 PM
Bassman raised a great point I'd never thought of, then Mike swooped right in and tidied it all up, crisis averted, my youth has not been wasted after all! :)

Indeed, you see old Biff beginning to conk out, I think there's even a deleted scene where you see him looking at his own hand fading away or he fades away completely when he's gotten back to 2015...not sure, I just have this odd memory of that ... whether it existed or not, who knows ... if it doesn't, I'll blame someone coming travelling through time to screw me over. :lol:

Also, think about the first film, when Marty finally starts fading, he takes quite a while to go about it, as do his siblings in the photo, they gradually fade away...although for some reason in portions, rather than generally (the latter would make most sense ... but it'd probably be rather tricky to achieve that effect back in the 1980s ... now it'd be a piece of piss)...so in other words, even greater kudos to the BTTF guys for pulling off monster effects with tools essentially akin to a pestle & mortar.

EvilNed
09-Jul-2007, 07:43 PM
The reason 2015 didn't automatically changed into an alternate timeline is:
There is still the ORIGINAL timeline, in which Marty & The Doc are in; followed by the alternate timelines, which are where they would be the next time they went back. Doc explains this in his garage on the chalk board. They don't see the new timeline until the next time they "jump" through time; which is the case every time.

(bold because it's important to explanation)

Then Biff should have arrived in an alternate 2015, thus stranding Marty and Doc in the future!

bassman
09-Jul-2007, 09:32 PM
Then Biff should have arrived in an alternate 2015, thus stranding Marty and Doc in the future!

Yup. I think it's minor flaw and with a movie about time travel they're destined to be there. Being that there's no truth to time travel, nobody knows how it would really work, and it's never FULLY explained in the film....I would say it can go either way. I consider this a minor, minor flaw that only hardcore fans would notice anyway. Somebody call the Mythbusters!:p

I think we can all agree that the end of Part III is something that would definitely f*ck up the course of history. I mean....Doc stayed back 100 years before the eighties and knocks a woman up. You can't deny that that's going to f*ck something up. Not only that, but Doc makes ANOTHER time machine. Dammit Emmett! Did you not learn from the first time??? It was a good ending to the series but not a very logical move for Doc Brown.

And about that deleted scene everyone is talking about.....it's RIGHT after Biff returns to 2015 in the Delorean. He get's out the car showing signs of pain(this is where the scene ends in the movie) but it originally ran a bit longer with Biff stumbling behind a near by dumpster and fading away as Marty and Doc get into the Delorean. According to the commentary on the dvd, the original idea was that Biff was shot(possibly by Lorraine) and once that timeline kicked in, he disappeared. They took it out because they were afraid it would confuse people.

MikePizzoff
09-Jul-2007, 09:34 PM

:eek: AHHHHH!!!!!!!

Actually, the way this is solved is because by the time old Biff left to go back to 2015, Marty & Doc (from 2015) were ALSO back in 1955 trying to get the Almanac back from young Biff. I know, I know, you'll say "well how would they get back there if Old Biff SHOULD end up in an alternate future?" But, remember, he hasn't traveled yet, therefore alternate future isn't created yet and Marty & Doc find out Biff had the almanac and manage to travel back.

I don't know if I worded that so it's understandable, but I tried...

MinionZombie
09-Jul-2007, 09:52 PM
I'm so glad I'm not stoned right now, because this stuff is blowing my mind enough as it is ... heaven forbid anyone's on mushrooms reading this stuff! :eek:

MikePizzoff
09-Jul-2007, 09:54 PM
I'm so glad I'm not stoned right now, because this stuff is blowing my mind enough as it is ... heaven forbid anyone's on mushrooms reading this stuff! :eek:

:lol: I think for some it may be easier to take in if they ARE stoned.

darth los
09-Jul-2007, 10:05 PM
That's why it's called a paradox. There is no real answer. We could talk in circles about it all day and still be no closer to the answer.

MikePizzoff
09-Jul-2007, 10:07 PM
That's why it's called a paradox. There is no real answer. We could talk in circles about it all day and still be no closer to the answer.

I know. I'll just keep telling myself I solved it for everyone, though. At least Nick's brain has been put to ease. ;)

darth los
09-Jul-2007, 10:22 PM
I know. I'll just keep telling myself I solved it for everyone, though. At least Nick's brain has been put to ease. ;)

It'll all make sense once you fire up that j. Alot of things do for that matter. How many great ideas you think were concieved of under the influence?

bassman
10-Jul-2007, 12:02 AM
It'll all make sense once you fire up that j. Alot of things do for that matter. How many great ideas you think were concieved of under the influence?

Then again....maybe BTTF was conceived under the influence and then when they were sober they straightened it out. I mean, the original time machine was going to be a refrigerator.:lol: They also originally planed to have marty drive the delorean into a nuclear explosion instead of using the lightening bolt.:rolleyes:

Yorkie
10-Jul-2007, 06:31 PM
i love those movies, how can you not?, im a sucker for westerns so 3's definatley my favourite.

DITTO, skimmed the rest of the thread after the first page but yep have to agree with you there hellsing.

Certainly on my list of films I can watch over and over.

bassman
10-Jul-2007, 06:59 PM
Anyone ever noticed that the Delorean only freezes after time travel in the first film, but not the sequels?

MinionZombie
10-Jul-2007, 08:17 PM
Anyone ever noticed that the Delorean only freezes after time travel in the first film, but not the sequels?
Yes I did indeed ... aren't we the BTTF nerds? :p

I dug that frozen thing they had going on "what, is it, is it hot?" "cold, damn cold!" :p

bassman
10-Jul-2007, 08:24 PM
We need to get a BTTF nerd quiz going.:p

Did you notice that Marty turns on the date/time/year monitors TWICE when they're in the Twin Pines Mall?

Danny
11-Jul-2007, 02:43 AM
okay bassman, million dollar question time.

if you HAD to pick one, under penalty of death (of course) which would you pick.

-back to the future, or ghostbusters?:sneaky:

bassman
11-Jul-2007, 02:59 AM
okay bassman, million dollar question time.

if you HAD to pick one, under penalty of death (of course) which would you pick.

-back to the future, or ghostbusters?:sneaky:

AHHHH...How could you present me with that question, man?!?!?!???

Obviously I would have to choose "Ghostbusters" because it's my favorite movie of all time, but that's not to say that there aren't others that I love. I mean.....I am on a fansite of George A. Romero, after all.

Everyone has their own favorites. Mine happens to be "Ghostbusters". That doesn't mean that I haven't thoroughly dissected any others. "BTTF" is still a very high ranked film/films, IMO.

coma
11-Jul-2007, 04:15 AM
Funny. I saw ghostbusters a couple times when It came out and I didnt like it very much despite being a fan of every actor in it. (Harold Ramis is the man)
So sue me bitches!

Never saw Back to the Future 3. Dont like westerns unless Clint is in it.

Terran
11-Jul-2007, 04:51 AM
Its not like is a movie that has a lot of depth....lol...

Danny
11-Jul-2007, 04:51 AM
dude your missin' out.

darth los
11-Jul-2007, 04:53 AM
Funny. I saw ghostbusters a couple times when It came out and I didnt like it very much despite being a fan of every actor in it. (Harold Ramis is the man)
So sue me bitches!

Never saw Back to the Future 3. Dont like westerns unless Clint is in it.

You'r not missing much dude. It's good for a watch so you can complete the trilogy imo.

MinionZombie
11-Jul-2007, 09:49 AM
We need to get a BTTF nerd quiz going.:p

Did you notice that Marty turns on the date/time/year monitors TWICE when they're in the Twin Pines Mall?
I can't remember it off the top of my head, but no doubt I spotted it last time I was watching it.

bassman
11-Jul-2007, 11:26 AM
Its not like is a movie that has a lot of depth....lol...

Of course it doesn't.....it's a comedy.:rolleyes:

MinionZombie
11-Jul-2007, 05:34 PM
Of course it doesn't.....it's a comedy.:rolleyes:
An action-adventure-comedy ... from the 1980s! :)

Ergo - awesome. :cool:

Danny
11-Jul-2007, 05:35 PM
^ what he said *dons 80' sunglasses and goes into a moonwalk*

MinionZombie
11-Jul-2007, 05:39 PM
^ what he said *dons 80' sunglasses and goes into a moonwalk*
*dons 1980's Sony Walkman, fat earphones to boot*

bassman
12-Jul-2007, 02:11 PM
*Dons life preserver and Calvin Klein underwear*:thumbsup: :p

coma
12-Jul-2007, 05:17 PM
Velcro Sneakers and Parachute pants with many tasty zippers

MinionZombie
12-Jul-2007, 05:44 PM
*dons a pair of those super cool BTTF2 sneakers with power laces*

Awww sh*t yeah, son! :cool:

darth los
12-Jul-2007, 06:45 PM
*Dons gazzelles with no lenses just the frames, kangol hat and rope chain and starts breakdancing*

Danny
13-Jul-2007, 12:25 AM
*dons flannel with cut off sleeves and a chain around the neck with a padlock on it ala art webb 1986*:lol:

darth los
13-Jul-2007, 12:38 AM
* stops donning stuff to get a zagnut bar from the vending machine*

Danny
13-Jul-2007, 12:41 AM
pick me up a can of tab while your there.:lol:

*goes back to listening to madhouse*

darth los
13-Jul-2007, 12:44 AM
pick me up a can of tab while your there.:lol:

*goes back to listening to madhouse*

The funny part is when he asked for a "pepsi free" and the dude tells him if he wants a pepsi he's going to have to pay for it.

bassman
13-Jul-2007, 02:07 AM
* stops donning stuff to get a zagnut bar from the vending machine*

I can't help but think of "Beetlejuice" everytime I hear or think about a Zagnut bar. It always happens. It's just burned in the back of my skull somewhere.

darth los
13-Jul-2007, 02:51 AM
I can't help but think of "Beetlejuice" everytime I hear or think about a Zagnut bar. It always happens. It's just burned in the back of my skull somewhere.

Where do you think i got it from? :lol: I never actually had one in my life. They didn't seem to have any at the candy store. What did it consist of anyway?

bassman
13-Jul-2007, 02:56 AM
Where do you think i got it from? :lol: I never actually had one in my life. They didn't seem to have any at the candy store. What did it consist of anyway?

:lol: I've never even seen one, man. I don't even know if they're real or not. I've heard people mention them and I always think "Hey you....yeah you, ova here! I got somethin for ya. Have a little bite..."

darth los
13-Jul-2007, 05:31 AM
:lol: I've never even seen one, man. I don't even know if they're real or not. I've heard people mention them and I always think "Hey you....yeah you, ova here! I got somethin for ya. Have a little bite..."

Come to think of it, how long do you think it will be before they remake beetleguise or BTTF for that matter?

Danny
13-Jul-2007, 05:42 AM
Come to think of it, how long do you think it will be before they remake beetleguise or BTTF for that matter?

*crawls intoa corner and rocks back adn forth in the animeish white all over, with blue lines type of trauma*:dead:

MikePizzoff
13-Jul-2007, 05:10 PM
Owner - You gonna order something?
Marty - Uh, yeah, give me a Tab.
Owner - Tab? You can't have a tab unless you order something.
Marty - Alright, give me a Pepsi Free.
Owner - You want a Pepsi, pal, you gotta pay for it!
Marty - Just give me something without sugar.

darth los
13-Jul-2007, 06:30 PM
*crawls intoa corner and rocks back adn forth in the animeish white all over, with blue lines type of trauma*:dead:

Like i always say: truth is scarier than fiction.:eek:

Owner - You gonna order something?
Marty - Uh, yeah, give me a Tab.
Owner - Tab? You can't have a tab unless you order something.
Marty - Alright, give me a Pepsi Free.
Owner - You want a Pepsi, pal, you gotta pay for it!
Marty - Just give me something without sugar.

EXACTLY !!!!!!!!! :eek: Let me find out that you popped in the dvd for that recap. :p

Yorkie
13-Jul-2007, 06:38 PM
Figured this would be very fitting and a top song :D

Really must go seek out how to embed a youtube vid, anyway enjoy

Clicky (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfClA7I_A3I)

darth los
13-Jul-2007, 06:44 PM
Figured this would be very fitting and a top song :D

Really must go seek out how to embed a youtube vid, anyway enjoy

Clicky (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfClA7I_A3I)

Thanks for the vid. I love the fact that back in the day the more flashing lights a computer or other high tech gadget had the more sophisticated it was supposed to be.:lol:

Yorkie
14-Jul-2007, 01:19 AM
Thanks for the vid.

No worries, ended up adding it to my playlist just cos I love the song then went in search of other classics to add :D

darth los
14-Jul-2007, 04:49 AM
In case anyone is interested, they're giving the first BTTF on HBO family on tuesday at 1:40 in the afternoon. All this talk about it has me wanting to watch it again. I already have my dvr set. :D I would have already bought the dvd but i can't seem to find it sold seperately from the other 2. Every place i do find it it comes in a boxed set. :(

Danny
15-Jul-2007, 04:19 AM
i gotta admit ive been hankering after goin' out to grab the trilogy doovde' set from hoomv' this week.;)

MinionZombie
15-Jul-2007, 10:43 AM
Make sure you get the 4-disc version. I bought the 3-disc when it was the only one out...then a couple of months later the 4-disc came out with extra extra-features. :rolleyes:

It's in a mainly blue case, rather than the 3-disc which is mainly black.

http://www.movies2go.biz/shop/images/back_to_the_future_trilogy.jpg
(the one I've got, the 3-disc)

http://www.moviestars.co.nz/serv/display-image.dyn?file=/images/products/1461566.jpg
(the 4-disc - that's the one you want)

Speaking of BTTF, I'm so going to have to re-watch the entire trilogy again sometime soon, all inspired by this thread. Does anyone else find they can't just watch one BTTF movie, but rather they have to do the entire trilogy? I find that, they're so interwoven that I find myself watching all three for review the entire story. It's like one big adventure over three movies.

capncnut
16-Jul-2007, 12:44 AM
Does anyone else find they can't just watch one BTTF movie, but rather they have to do the entire trilogy?
Yes, I have watched the whole trilogy many times - it's technically one big film.

MaximusIncredulous
16-Jul-2007, 01:02 AM
Great series. Biff practically owns #2.

Anyone spot Marty #2 at the beginning of BTTF 1?

Danny
16-Jul-2007, 05:32 AM
i think ive only seen the first one once or twice, 3's on all the time but i never miss it, its one of my favourite movies of the time.

MinionZombie
16-Jul-2007, 10:43 AM
Great series. Biff practically owns #2.

Anyone spot Marty #2 at the beginning of BTTF 1?
:eek: YOU WHAT?! :confused:

Hellsing - dude, you've gotta watch the first one more times, that's classic filmmaking right there. The battle to get Marty back to the future as he's charging down the street, the soundtrack booming, pumping your blood through your veins at 88 mph...dude, that's brilliant.

MaximusIncredulous
16-Jul-2007, 01:45 PM
During the parking lot scene when Doc tosses his pistol away if you look into the distance between Doc and his truck, you'll see a figure running by a dumpster. That's the other Marty.

MinionZombie
16-Jul-2007, 03:51 PM
Ah right, for a minute there I thought you meant like Marty from part 2 or something, didn't pay attention to possible context, although your description was brief, hence my confusion (not bitching, by the way :p)...I'm so off to go and check that out though, I've never even seen that before in the first flick. :)

Then off to watch the second audio commentary for Last House on the Left (been on a kick of that DVD since yesterday).

MaximusIncredulous
16-Jul-2007, 03:58 PM
Ah right, for a minute there I thought you meant like Marty from part 2 or something, didn't pay attention to possible context, although your description was brief, hence my confusion (not bitching, by the way :p)...I'm so off to go and check that out though, I've never even seen that before in the first flick. :)

Then off to watch the second audio commentary for Last House on the Left (been on a kick of that DVD since yesterday).

If you can't spot it, and it is kinda small, I'll post a screen cap.

darth los
16-Jul-2007, 04:39 PM
During the parking lot scene when Doc tosses his pistol away if you look into the distance between Doc and his truck, you'll see a figure running by a dumpster. That's the other Marty.

On my dvd it's at 29:32 when you can see a figure in the backround. However, i can't tell if it's marty or a bigfoot. I know that we know marty is lurking around there because we see it at the end of the movie. I think it's just something lurking around back there. There's no definitive proof from what i can see that it's him.

MaximusIncredulous
16-Jul-2007, 06:29 PM
On my dvd it's at 29:32 when you can see a figure in the backround. However, i can't tell if it's marty or a bigfoot. I know that we know marty is lurking around there because we see it at the end of the movie. I think it's just something lurking around back there. There's no definitive proof from what i can see that it's him.

When I first spotted it, I thought it was a goof too, maybe an assistant running coffee for the director, but looking at how the scene is structured: the road leading directly to the dumpster, the lighting highlighting the dumpster, the figure running across the lit dumpster in a way that doesn't seem accidental. It looked like a sly way to show what would be reciprocated later in the movie. Of course it's open to interpretation. Would be cool if it was Marty #2 though.

darth los
16-Jul-2007, 08:38 PM
When I first spotted it, I thought it was a goof too, maybe an assistant running coffee for the director, but looking at how the scene is structured: the road leading directly to the dumpster, the lighting highlighting the dumpster, the figure running across the lit dumpster in a way that doesn't seem accidental. It looked like a sly way to show what would be reciprocated later in the movie. Of course it's open to interpretation. Would be cool if it was Marty #2 though.

I also checked the scene at the end of the movie and you're right, it seems to be lined up just right for it to be future marty.

On a totally unrelated question about the movie: I know you guys love this movie and know almost everything that there is to know about it. So here goes: When marty fixes everything between his parents in 1955 and he shows the doc the picture of him and his siblings and says" he never stood up to biff in his life", the doc replies "EVER!!" What does he mean by that? He obviously saw something in that picture that was different and i believe the differences had to do with the changes with marty's family when he got back to the future. So can anybody tell me what it is that doc noticed in the pic and was that indcative of the differences in marty's family when he got back?

bassman
16-Jul-2007, 08:41 PM
I also checked the scene at the end of the movie and you're right, it seems to be lined up just right for it to be future marty.

On a totally unrelated question about the movie: I know you guys love this movie and know almost everything that there is to know about it. So here goes: When marty fixes everything between his parents in 1955 and he shows the doc the picture of him and his siblings and says" he never stood up to biff in his life", the doc replies "EVER!!" What does he mean by that? He obviously saw something in that picture that was different and i believe the differences had to do with the changes with marty's family when he got back to the future. So can anybody tell me what it is that doc noticed in the pic and was that indcative of the differences in marty's family when he got back?

That's a good question. I think Doc just says it like that because it's his character, not because of what's in the photo. I'm pretty sure the photo is exactly the same as it was, just with Marty and his siblings again.

darth los
16-Jul-2007, 08:46 PM
That's a good question. I think Doc just says it like that because it's his character, not because of what's in the photo. I'm pretty sure the photo is exactly the same as it was, just with Marty and his siblings again.

I would tend to agree with that if it was a film like gar's dead films where things aparently happen for no reason and shouldn't be read to much into. The BTTF films are different though, every event is so intricate and seems to have a purpose. I haven't seen anything yet that doesn't tie into something else or isn't used to expalin something that happened at another point in the film. It could just be what you said, but i think it's highly likely that there is some meaning to it.

MaximusIncredulous
16-Jul-2007, 08:47 PM

Right. I think Doc was mentally contemplating the potential consequences of Marty's pop doing something he had never done before until influenced by someone from another time period. Down the line, who knows what the ramifications of that would be.

darth los
16-Jul-2007, 08:54 PM
Right. I think Doc was mentally contemplating the potential consequences of Marty's pop doing something he had never done before until influenced by someone from another time period. Down the line, who knows what the ramifications of that would be.

Boy that doc has always got those gears turning , huh? I think that just by showing up in the past one changes future events by their mere presence because they're not supposed to be there in the first place. We saw the ramifications of future marty influencing his father by the way they were living when he got back. His mother was thin and not an alcoholic. His brother wasn't a pizza delivery guy, but worked in an ofice. Biff was george's bitch and marty had the car of his dreams. Furthermore, these were the differences we noticed in just 5 minutes. Who knows what else changed. It was apparent though that the family was more affluent and much happier overall.

MaximusIncredulous
16-Jul-2007, 08:57 PM
Boy that doc has always got those gears turning , huh? I think that just by showing up in the past one changes future events by their mere presence because they're not supposed to be there in the first place. We saw the ramifications of future marty influencing his father by the way they were living when he got back. His mother was thin and not an alcoholic. His brother wasn't a pizza delivery guy, but worked in an ofice. Biff was george's bitch and marty had the car of his dreams. Furthermore, these were the differences we noticed in just 5 minutes. Who knows what else changed. It was apparent though that the family was more affluent and much happier overall.

Makes one wonder where Marty #2 screwed up. When he got back, Doc was dead and his family was a mess.

darth los
16-Jul-2007, 09:41 PM
Makes one wonder where Marty #2 screwed up. When he got back, Doc was dead and his family was a mess.

I think as was stated earlier in this thread that it just took a little while for the changes to take affect once he arrived in the future again. As you can see in the morning everything was fine and after he read the letter doc made sure that he had a bullet proof vest on.

MaximusIncredulous
16-Jul-2007, 09:56 PM
I think as was stated earlier in this thread that it just took a little while for the changes to take affect once he arrived in the future again. As you can see in the morning everything was fine and after he read the letter doc made sure that he had a bullet proof vest on.

I think both Martys switched timelines because it seems they handled things differently in the 50s. Marty #1 wound up with #2's timeline in which everything was fine or different but #2 never left a letter for Doc to read and in some way got his parents together differently than #1 handled it. When #2 returned to the future he wound up with #1's timeline.

darth los
17-Jul-2007, 12:12 AM
I think both Martys switched timelines because it seems they handled things differently in the 50s. Marty #1 wound up with #2's timeline in which everything was fine or different but #2 never left a letter for Doc to read and in some way got his parents together differently than #1 handled it. When #2 returned to the future he wound up with #1's timeline.

You know we're having this good debate a bout a movie and i noticed something it has in common with most movies that we debate. It's an old film. By old i mean 20 years or more. These films just had so much substance. We could pick this movie apart till' no end the same way we do with the dead films. And get this, it was an original idea!! :eek: Imagine that.

MaximusIncredulous
17-Jul-2007, 12:34 AM
You know we're having this good debate a bout a movie and i noticed something it has in common with most movies that we debate. It's an old film. By old i mean 20 years or more. These films just had so much substance. We could pick this movie apart till' no end the same way we do with the dead films. And get this, it was an original idea!! :eek: Imagine that.

Yup, they put a lot more creative energy into these older flicks, story, music, effects, etc. Many also had a feel that you don't get with today's bland junk. Most of the stuff I see today I can barely remember seeing a week later.

darth los
17-Jul-2007, 12:45 AM
Yup, they put a lot more creative energy into these older flicks, story, music, effects, etc. Many also had a feel that you don't get with today's bland junk. Most of the stuff I see today I can barely remember seeing a week later.

Turds aren't worth remembering my friend. But like i said earlier the movie is great so you can bet that sooner or later they'll remake it. It's a shame too. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that film and by trying to recreate it they can only put out an inferior product. You can also bet that there will be unescessary explosions and gratuitous nudity to placate today's audiences.

MinionZombie
17-Jul-2007, 10:16 AM
I'm hoping the remake craze is waning now, there's been so many and almost all have been not a patch on the original (although I still maintain that the Hills Have Eyes remake was quality, I really enjoyed it and it gave me a few good jolts, ... the sequel remake was utter tosh though).

Hopefully this new 3-D thing will kick in and we'll see more people trying to pimp 3-D versions of old films, rather than remakes of old films...films which aren't old, because even 20-somethings can remember watching them as a mere kiddywink! :eek:

Danny
17-Jul-2007, 10:34 PM
imagine how many people would get siezures viewing the hologram jaws in 3d:shifty:

MinionZombie
18-Jul-2007, 11:17 AM
I had a freaking dream last night that BTTF was getting remade with David Freaking Hasslehoff as some army general type bloke seeking Kurt Russell as a middle aged Marty in our present day to go back in time and stop something...ah mate it gave me the creeps!

As for the DeLorean coming back cold - it does so twice in the film, not once. The first test, and then when he gets back to 1985...in fact it's probably a bit cold in the barn as well, so that's thrice...but after that in 2 and 3 it doesn't do it anymore I don't think.

As for people saying it's Marty that is that tiny little black wiggle in the background, that's gotta be bollocks, it doesn't make any sense. When Marty sees Doc get shot (at the end of the film) he's standing by the Lone Pine Mall sign, this phantom blob is way off to the right and forward a bit of Marty's actual position in the film at that moment (he sees Doc get shot from behind, from the Lone Pine Mall sign).

Nyaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh...methinks it was just some goofball in back, or it could have been anything, it's barely noticeable whatsoever, ergo - not noticeable enough for people to see it as something the filmmaker's intended...then also, the geography of the situation is all wrong...therefore - that brief blob of shadow is not Marty #2.

Danny
18-Jul-2007, 11:23 AM
I had a freaking dream last night that BTTF was getting remade with David Freaking Hasslehoff as some army general type bloke seeking Kurt Russell as a middle aged Marty in our present day to go back in time and stop something...ah mate it gave me the creeps!

to you happen to partace of some cocaine before you rested your head good sir?:D

MinionZombie
18-Jul-2007, 11:33 AM
to you happen to partace of some cocaine before you rested your head good sir?:D
No, I watched the first episode of Dexter instead. :lol:

(Downloading them all, missed the start on FX, so now I'm catching up with downloads you see, saw the first episode last night and it rocked.)

MaximusIncredulous
18-Jul-2007, 12:19 PM
As for people saying it's Marty that is that tiny little black wiggle in the background, that's gotta be bollocks, it doesn't make any sense. When Marty sees Doc get shot (at the end of the film) he's standing by the Lone Pine Mall sign, this phantom blob is way off to the right and forward a bit of Marty's actual position in the film at that moment (he sees Doc get shot from behind, from the Lone Pine Mall sign).

Nyaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh...methinks it was just some goofball in back, or it could have been anything, it's barely noticeable whatsoever, ergo - not noticeable enough for people to see it as something the filmmaker's intended...then also, the geography of the situation is all wrong...therefore - that brief blob of shadow is not Marty #2.

Right, there's a 90 degree difference between approaches. These two switched timelines because they interacted differently in the 50's (e.g., Twin Pines Mall for #2, Lone Pine Mall for #1) so it's probable that the differences carried over to the future and resulted in different approaches to the mall based on how they left the 50s.

MinionZombie
18-Jul-2007, 01:27 PM
Right, there's a 90 degree difference between approaches. These two switched timelines because they interacted differently in the 50's (e.g., Twin Pines Mall for #2, Lone Pine Mall for #1) so it's probable that the differences carried over to the future and resulted in different approaches to the mall based on how they left the 50s.
That doesn't make a shred of sense whatsoever. :confused: He left the 1950's once in the first film to return to 1985, and he turns up at the mall at the same geographical point as he did at the beginning of the film before they even started meddling with time, at the same area around that same sign (which only changes slightly - more of a localised event, rather than have any wider resonance). It's like what Doc was saying in BTTF2 about them sorting out 1985"A" and how everything would change "around" Jennifer and Einstein - thus having no impact on them themselves, and therefore any choices they might make - so the same theory would carry over to two Marty's at the mall - besides, the sign is situated behind the truck, thus providing relative concealment...

I will say one thing, the DeLorean does come back cold in BTTF2, both when they arrive in 2015, but also in 1955...didn't really happen when they arrived in 1985"A"...but there weren't any external shots there.

Can't remember whether the same happens in BTTF3, I don't remember there being the cold when he arrives in 1885 nor when he returns to 1985 and is on the train tracks...hmmm...*taps chin*

Currently an hour into BTTF2, so I'll soon find out I guess.

MaximusIncredulous
18-Jul-2007, 03:05 PM
Sorry for the crappy paint diagram but hopefully this will make what I'm trying to say a little clearer:

http://www.storage4all.com/out.php/i180276_BTTF.gif

Timeline A is the unaltered timeline that goes back to the beginning of time. Marty #2 originates from Sub-Timeline B but lives out the rest of his days in Timeline A, Marty #1 stays in Sub-Timeline B. There are other sub-timelines, Biff's but that's temporary, and the one that's created from 1885 and connects to the junction point of 1955.

Crazy huh? Anyways people, give it some thought maybe I'm missing something.

bassman
18-Jul-2007, 03:09 PM
Dude....I went back and looked. It's not Marty at the mall. I think you're stretching here, man...

MaximusIncredulous
18-Jul-2007, 03:22 PM
Open to interpretation. Unless Zemeckis or Gale say otherwise, could be anybody's guess as to who or what it is. I lean in the Marty 2 direction as it provokes some interesting ideas and we do see duplicates so it's not too far-fetched.

MinionZombie
18-Jul-2007, 04:47 PM
I think it's way too far fetched having seen this shot of a vague blob that is loosely possible in being a human being.

1) The area of movement is incredibly far away and not illuminated whatsoever

2) It's completely inconsistent with Marty re-viewing events from a second viewpoint (including seeing himself take off in the DeLorean) - that is the second and only second Marty in the film because it's clearly flagged up.

3) Repeatedly throughout the series of films, if there's someone lurking in the background who you didn't see the first time whatever events you're viewing played out, they are flagged up to show you exactly them being there.

It's a vague blob/shift in a shadow waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay into the distance in a very tight viewing window (between Doc and the truck), it's also so incredibly brief that it's almost 100% un-noticeable. The viewer attention is exclusively focussed on Doc getting shot, there's no wide gap behind him to open that area up, there's no illumination to highlight that area either.

Ergo, it's completely false.

At the mall there are at most only two Marty's at any one time - and it only happens once. The Marty from the beginning of the film escaping the Libyans, and the Marty from the end of the film by the mall's sign.

If something was going on, it would have been flagged like at other times throughout the trilogy, character cross-overs from different time periods are of key focus in BTTF2, this was shown as well at the end of the first film with Marty viewing from the sign the events from the beginning of the film.

It's pretty clear, and the two Bob's have said nothing about a blob in the way far off distance because they don't even see it there - and as the writers of the film, if it was actually part of the film, it would have both been in the script and have been discussed/documented previously. :sneaky:

*dusts hands, saunters off to dinner*

MaximusIncredulous
18-Jul-2007, 05:11 PM
You win :p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_to_the_Future_timeline

"Because of this, events from later timelines do not make their way backward into previous ones; for example, Bob Zemeckis has specifically denied the presence of a second Marty at Twin Pines Mall in Timeline 1."

darth los
18-Jul-2007, 05:24 PM
You win :p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_to_the_Future_timeline

"Because of this, events from later timelines do not make their way backward into previous ones; for example, Bob Zemeckis has specifically denied the presence of a second Marty at Twin Pines Mall in Timeline 1."

I guess you're not the first one to notice this. Don't worry, i liked your diagram anyway.:)

MaximusIncredulous
18-Jul-2007, 08:06 PM
I guess you're not the first one to notice this. Don't worry, i liked your diagram anyway.:)

MinionZombie
18-Jul-2007, 09:08 PM
*runs around like a champion in slow motion, muahahaha, I pwned Maximus!!!* :lol:

Only joking ... just got passionate about it while discussing. :D I love these movies so much and got my nerd on earlier today. :)

That timeline diagram on wiki makes sense to me, I was trying to explain my view of events as best I could, but my brain gets all squishy with this time travel talk, lol.

Essentially, it seems to be of the school of thought that time must first unravel in a certain way, like having to wait for the first test of the DeLorean to happen, then it all kicks off and people go back and forth...rather than one single timeline, it's like new timelines that are very similar to the ones preceding them (except 1985A) stacking up on top of each other as the new 'one & only' version ... sorta thing...

Ah mate it bends my mind, that and the expansive size of the universe...ah dude...:eek:

MaximusIncredulous
18-Jul-2007, 09:56 PM
*runs around like a champion in slow motion, muahahaha, I pwned Maximus!!!* :lol:

Only joking ... just got passionate about it while discussing. :D I love these movies so much and got my nerd on earlier today. :)

Me too. I love the fact that theories of this sort spring up. Even goofball theories. Very few movies can trigger that.

That timeline diagram on wiki makes sense to me, I was trying to explain my view of events as best I could, but my brain gets all squishy with this time travel talk, lol.

Was good enough for me as it got me searching for what I was missing.

Essentially, it seems to be of the school of thought that time must first unravel in a certain way, like having to wait for the first test of the DeLorean to happen, then it all kicks off and people go back and forth...rather than one single timeline, it's like new timelines that are very similar to the ones preceding them (except 1985A) stacking up on top of each other as the new 'one & only' version ... sorta thing...

Ah mate it bends my mind, that and the expansive size of the universe...ah dude...:eek:

It threw me for a loop too. My diagram showed that :lol:.

darth los
20-Jul-2007, 03:32 AM
I'm watching part 2 right now and i found a mistake. When they're in 2015 the doc say that jennifer or anyone for that matter running into their future selves will have 2 forseeable possibilities:

1) They will simply go into shock and pass out or

2) The whole space time continuum goes to sh8t.

If you remember the former happened. But there's something else. When future biff confronts the biff from 1955 absolutely nothing happens.

MinionZombie
20-Jul-2007, 10:59 AM
If you remember the former happened. But there's something else. When future biff confronts the biff from 1955 absolutely nothing happens.

Because:

1) Future Biff is so old, young Biff doesn't recognise himself, and believes the "distant relative" angle.

2) Future Biff knows he's going to be seeing himself, because he found out about the time machine and chose to go about his journey.

Passing out or a crumbling of the space-time-continuum would be as a result of an unexpected encounter for one or both parties.

As for the two Jennifer's, one is young, one is "old" (although she's only about 47), there's not such a huge gap ... plus they're more likely to be more incisive, whereas Biff is a bit of a dummy and lives in his own world, so he's not likely to see beyond himself, let alone see himself in a 70-odd year-old version of himself from the future. :sneaky:

What actually makes little to no sense, is how on earth did Doc build another time machine using 1885 components?! As for returning to time travel when he said he wouldn't ... I guess he's addicted to it/figured he can time travel with more care now...plus they needed that final punch to see in the "Doubleback" soundtrack for the credits. :D

darth los
20-Jul-2007, 04:57 PM
Because:

1) Future Biff is so old, young Biff doesn't recognise himself, and believes the "distant relative" angle.

2) Future Biff knows he's going to be seeing himself, because he found out about the time machine and chose to go about his journey.

Passing out or a crumbling of the space-time-continuum would be as a result of an unexpected encounter for one or both parties.

As for the two Jennifer's, one is young, one is "old" (although she's only about 47), there's not such a huge gap ... plus they're more likely to be more incisive, whereas Biff is a bit of a dummy and lives in his own world, so he's not likely to see beyond himself, let alone see himself in a 70-odd year-old version of himself from the future. :sneaky:

What actually makes little to no sense, is how on earth did Doc build another time machine using 1885 components?! As for returning to time travel when he said he wouldn't ... I guess he's addicted to it/figured he can time travel with more care now...plus they needed that final punch to see in the "Doubleback" soundtrack for the credits. :D

So there are only reprocussions if they recognize each other? I guess that makes sense because alternate 1985 biff says that the old man was a distant relative and that he didn't see a resemblance. Or it could just be an inconsistancy. Other filmakers can have them besides gar you know.

This is fun. It's like disecting the gar films. i don't want to offend but i felt that the whole first half of part two was just a rehash if the first one. I thought they could have done much better. I'll concede that it was non stop action from the beginning though. It was very hectic. I'm off to watch the 3rd one today. :D

MinionZombie
20-Jul-2007, 06:03 PM
I duno, I dug the ciclical nature of all three films, or more like the second two rather, how it was similar events but in different time periods/alternate time periods...

The whole "faint or universe goes bang" thing totally relies on the recognition factor. Doc meets himself in #2, but he hides his face and quickly shoots off, while his 1955 self clearly thought something was up, did a double take and then shrugged it off.

Marty meets himself in #2 - his future young self that is, his future son - but his son is semi-passed out, eyes closed and delierious. Marty himself already knows he might see himself, and is also expecting such twists to happen as time travel never runs smoothly for him, hehe.

So it's totally about the recognition factor.

darth los
20-Jul-2007, 06:27 PM
Since i'm off to watch the 3rd installment today is there anything i should be looking out for in the third film?

Doc
21-Dec-2008, 03:41 PM
I LOVE the first Back to the Future. From start to finish it's classic.

I liked the sequels when I was a kid, but can't really stand them now. Marty McFly's such a cool character. He knew he was cool. For the two sequels to rely on that whole "chicken" gimmick -- bah, the Marty of the first movie wouldn't have cared about that.

When I was a younger, I loved the 2015 part of BTTF Part II. Even though I'm not much a fan of that movie now, I still think a Cafe '80s would be cool. When everybody else was wondering where a Hoverboard was, I was like "Screw that! Where's Cafe '80s?!":hyper:

MissJacksonCA
24-Dec-2008, 03:18 AM
I love 1 and 2... 3 I can live without but I do have the whole collection bcos it is pretty greatastic. Love the Huey Lewis song from #1 and the 80s clothes and the Delorean... actually got to sit in one at this sales place in Orange County that actually took a Delorean as a downpayment for a fifth wheeler. Its that valuable... Yeah but awesome movies and great lines totally love Fox. Great idea for a movie and of course how bad can anything with Crispin Glover be?

Bub666
24-Dec-2008, 03:25 AM
The first Back to the Future is my favorite.The other two were okay.

bassman
24-Dec-2008, 11:57 AM
...and of course how bad can anything with Crispin Glover be?

Charlies Angels, Willard, Epic Movie.:|