PDA

View Full Version : Surge Protectors VS the Xbox360...???

MinionZombie
09-Jul-2007, 10:11 AM
Here's an odd one:

http://gamepolitics.com/2007/07/08/surge-protectors-behind-360-failures-huh/#comments

Justifiably, it is a numpty move to make it sensitive to surge protectors, because well, if you've got a shedload of tech plugged in, you're gonna protect against surges (we had a power surge several years back and it wiped out anything switched on - but we got free replacements that were way above the specs of the trashed stuff, haha, nothing like a bit of countryside fraud - I'll note that it was the representative of the electricity people, Ray Hill Electronics, who was ripping the electric folk off...but I did hear about neighbours saying other tech was broken when it wasn't ... we were too scared to try it on, haha).

Anyway, bit of a daft move really, because a lot of people have surge protectors - and the scary thing is, I was flat out just about to buy a surge protector to protect my 360 ... well I fookin' won't now then! I'll just keep an eye/ear out ... and not play it during a storm like I did t'other night (I was jammy enough to literally turn it off 10 seconds before the power went out).

Very strange, so if you've got a surge protector powering your SexBox, perhaps it'd be an idea to get it plugged into a normal extension lead. :rockbrow:

Another article:

http://lawofthegame.blogspot.com/2007/07/xbox-360-repair-saga-shoot-surge.html

This one even saying don't use an extension lead. :confused: But surely a normal extension lead is just the same as a wall plug...except it's not in the wall? Any thoughts on that? My only nearest wall plug is used up and behind my friggin' bed...might have a re-think later on about it...the MS website even says don't use an extension lead...but where was that in the booklet with my SexBox? :confused: Mmmm...rethink indeed...methinks...

Lots of speculation going on...guess we'll see what's-what then, eh?

darth los
09-Jul-2007, 03:21 PM
Here's an odd one:

http://gamepolitics.com/2007/07/08/surge-protectors-behind-360-failures-huh/#comments

Justifiably, it is a numpty move to make it sensitive to surge protectors, because well, if you've got a shedload of tech plugged in, you're gonna protect against surges (we had a power surge several years back and it wiped out anything switched on - but we got free replacements that were way above the specs of the trashed stuff, haha, nothing like a bit of countryside fraud - I'll note that it was the representative of the electricity people, Ray Hill Electronics, who was ripping the electric folk off...but I did hear about neighbours saying other tech was broken when it wasn't ... we were too scared to try it on, haha).

Anyway, bit of a daft move really, because a lot of people have surge protectors - and the scary thing is, I was flat out just about to buy a surge protector to protect my 360 ... well I fookin' won't now then! I'll just keep an eye/ear out ... and not play it during a storm like I did t'other night (I was jammy enough to literally turn it off 10 seconds before the power went out).

Very strange, so if you've got a surge protector powering your SexBox, perhaps it'd be an idea to get it plugged into a normal extension lead. :rockbrow:

Another article:

http://lawofthegame.blogspot.com/2007/07/xbox-360-repair-saga-shoot-surge.html

This one even saying don't use an extension lead. :confused: But surely a normal extension lead is just the same as a wall plug...except it's not in the wall? Any thoughts on that? My only nearest wall plug is used up and behind my friggin' bed...might have a re-think later on about it...the MS website even says don't use an extension lead...but where was that in the booklet with my SexBox? :confused: Mmmm...rethink indeed...methinks...

Lots of speculation going on...guess we'll see what's-what then, eh?

I have no idea what they're talking about in that article. I have had my 360 since april of 2006 and it's been plugged into a surge protector the entire time and i've never had a problem with mine. I can't account for other people's experiences, but they don't even sound too sure if that's what it actually is. looks to me like a bunch of people trying to find a reason for the unusually high failure rate of the console. Nice try, but i think they're wrong. As a matter of fact everything in my room is plugged into the surge protector as well. Like you said, it's no fun having your electronics burn out due to a power surge. I would highly discourage you from disconnecting your 360 from the surge protector. Don't let them scare you. When i see that said by a reputable source then it'll carry more wieght with me. Until then it's just speculation and my 360 will stay plugged in exactly where it's been for the past 15 months, a surge protector.

Danny
09-Jul-2007, 04:27 PM
actually since the power cuts the other night my controllers not working right, first the button had to be pressed down really hard for it to start, then it had to be held down and all it did was flash green once every 2 seconds, then it didnt respond, i tired one of my brothers charger packs in it though and it works fine, maybe cus i used cheap batteries and had to change em so often due to how often i play on ym 360 that the springs in the baattrie area have worn out.

darth los
09-Jul-2007, 04:48 PM
actually since the power cuts the other night my controllers not working right, first the button had to be pressed down really hard for it to start, then it had to be held down and all it did was flash green once every 2 seconds, then it didnt respond, i tired one of my brothers charger packs in it though and it works fine, maybe cus i used cheap batteries and had to change em so often due to how often i play on ym 360 that the springs in the baattrie area have worn out.

Was the console hooked up to a surge protector at the time though?

Danny
09-Jul-2007, 05:02 PM
the console was plugged into the power adaptor, which was plugged into a multi socket thing, y'know so you plug 5 things in that and that plugs into one plug socket.

darth los
09-Jul-2007, 05:15 PM
the console was plugged into the power adaptor, which was plugged into a multi socket thing, y'know so you plug 5 things in that and that plugs into one plug socket.

If it was a surge protector you had it plugged into at the time of the outage maybe that's the reason why your whole console is not fried instead of just the controller. I'm just speculating though.

MinionZombie
09-Jul-2007, 05:40 PM
My 360 has never been plugged into a Surge Protector, just an extension lead/box at most. Re-jigged my set up earlier today so the SexBox has it's own wall plug all to it's own.

Will see what more is said on the issue in due course, but I doubt they'd pimp out something like that (and put it on their own official website) without there being some truth in it at least, if it can't hack fluctuating power then who knows...we'll see I guess, see what transpires. But it's not like it's one group talking about it, there appears to be a fair amount of talk on the net now about it...again - we'll see.

Apparently you can hear a surge happening though, when we had a power surge here many years ago there was a kinda whine or higher pitched tone or something, I wasn't here but my Mum was, she had no idea what was going on (and neither would I have done). Our neighbour knew exactly what it was though.

My Xbox isn't plugged in all the time though, only during the day around the time I'm playing it (don't unplug in between sessions though). I don't leave the console whirring away when I'm not playing on it either, I shut that box off, mon.

darth los
09-Jul-2007, 08:59 PM
My Xbox isn't plugged in all the time though, only during the day around the time I'm playing it (don't unplug in between sessions though). I don't leave the console whirring away when I'm not playing on it either, I shut that box off, mon.

You mean when you're not having a threesome with crackdown and GOW? :p

MinionZombie
09-Jul-2007, 09:54 PM
You mean when you're not having a threesome with crackdown and GOW? :p
You fookin' knows it...although right now I'm temporarily seeing Crackdown exclusively, we ran off on a holiday together leaving GOW at home blissfully unaware that I'm schtupping The Agency in the Bahamas. :elol::p

My...that's an elaborate joke, eh? :D

Just been playing Crackdown in fact, took out my 4th of 7 of the Shing-gen or whoever they are...I've taken to kicking people now, roundhouse kick to a mutant - BOSH! :lol:

Cody
10-Jul-2007, 06:34 PM
I live in Florida man lightning out the a$$. its been plugged in to a surge protector since aug25th 06 with some black outs.

MinionZombie
10-Jul-2007, 08:18 PM
I live in Florida man lightning out the a$$. its been plugged in to a surge protector since aug25th 06 with some black outs.
Very odd, this certainly is the oddest bit of news surrounding the 360.

Also - your rainbow text rocks. :cool:

darth los
11-Jul-2007, 12:39 AM

It's been the same with me. I've never had a problem. I'd rather take the words of people on these boards than some other forums where i don't know what people's motivations are. There are sure to be some studies on this. I guess we'll have to stay tuned.