PDA

View Full Version : What do you prefer?

MissJacksonCA
09-Jul-2007, 10:58 AM
Do you prefer zombie flicks follow one or several groups of survivors more like a series which hasn't been done? Or would you prefer the GAR movies that followed different groups of survivors without showing you what happens to that group next?

Am I the only one that wonders what happened to the group from Dawn? Or from Day? I know we all have fun imagining what happened to them next but even if we did know we could still imagine so I mean there wouldn't be anything really lost by knowing. I just kinda feel ripped off by having no idea what happened to Pdog and Franster.

MaximusIncredulous
09-Jul-2007, 12:46 PM
Generally I prefer films that switch characters. Given the formula for most zombie films, conditions are usually pretty bleak for those left alive at the end, not leaving much to work with for an entire film. It is possible that they could hook up with another bunch of survivors in the next film but that would be pretty jarring as the leftovers from the last film would never really feel in place with the new bunch, to me anyway. Another reason I prefer a fresh bunch of zombie fodder is that the circumstances effect people in different ways and make for a somewhat different movie. The character and locale of the Dawn survivors and how they handled things is very different compared to the Day survivors. I guess in the end different characters and how their fortifications effect them provides variety for an otherwise limited theme.

MissJacksonCA
09-Jul-2007, 12:51 PM
I guess I should've included ... the Walking Dead graphic novels for the latter question... I figured there wouldn't be a lot of room for development when I first began to read the series... but then as characters die off and others appeared it became a really fantabulous story.

I understand chemistry between new actors and the actors who were in a previous film may be somewhat off-kilter but that would really complement the whole zombies are coming to life and the discomfort you'd find when you encounter another group of survivors and haven't yet figured out if they're friend or foe....

darth los
09-Jul-2007, 03:59 PM
Do you prefer zombie flicks follow one or several groups of survivors more like a series which hasn't been done? Or would you prefer the GAR movies that followed different groups of survivors without showing you what happens to that group next?

Am I the only one that wonders what happened to the group from Dawn? Or from Day? I know we all have fun imagining what happened to them next but even if we did know we could still imagine so I mean there wouldn't be anything really lost by knowing. I just kinda feel ripped off by having no idea what happened to Pdog and Franster.

I think there's a difference between imagining what would have happened and second guessing what we already know. For instance, we pick apart why they didn't do this or that to fortify the mall or block the doors because we already know what really happened. On the other hand, when we see fran an pete fly off why have no idea what became of them and don't speculate about it much. I think knowing and second guessing is way more fun than imagining what might have happened if we kept following them.

sandrock74
09-Jul-2007, 09:41 PM
There is that part of me thou that wants to know what happened to the survivors of the other films. Even if just a radio update was given to us so we knew if they were alive or dead. Just something!
Oh well...

darth los
09-Jul-2007, 10:12 PM
There is that part of me thou that wants to know what happened to the survivors of the other films. Even if just a radio update was given to us so we knew if they were alive or dead. Just something!
Oh well...

That's what our imagination is for. Didn't you learn anything from the sopranos ending? :p

RustyHicks
10-Jul-2007, 12:24 AM
LOL. Yeah, we have to relay on our own imagination, plus if they did
do a continuation story about Dawn or Day, I bet some of us would have
been disappointed cause it wasn't like we had always imagined it to be.
I'd like to see those characters do a cameo, sort like show us they still
survived or something.
I prefer different stories as George has done, I think it might be
the first time that a trilogy has had different stories, unlike
others like Scream Trilogy or Alien.
Having new characters makes it fresh and new,
could a zombie epic be done as a continuing story?

Philly_SWAT
10-Jul-2007, 12:31 AM
I think that since any story in the "zombie universe" is by its very nature very bleak, it is more effective, at least on film, to start with a fresh batch of characters. In reality, if the stories from GARs films were to be continued realistically, more than likely all the characters would die. It is fun to leave their plights up to our imagination. Do you really think that Fran and Peter would survive after leaving the mall? Low on fuel, Fran only being a complete novice at flying, low on supplies, and with a noise-making baby on the way, how could they survive for very long? 3 guys and a 3-month pregnant woman couldnt make it in a fortified mall, how will 1 one and a very pregnant woman (soon to be 1 man, 1 woman with post partum depresion, and a newborn infant) make it out in the open? To see the continuation of that story would be even more sad than the already bleak position we know them to be in.

darth los
10-Jul-2007, 12:57 AM
I think that since any story in the "zombie universe" is by its very nature very bleak, it is more effective, at least on film, to start with a fresh batch of characters. In reality, if the stories from GARs films were to be continued realistically, more than likely all the characters would die. It is fun to leave their plights up to our imagination. Do you really think that Fran and Peter would survive after leaving the mall? Low on fuel, Fran only being a complete novice at flying, low on supplies, and with a noise-making baby on the way, how could they survive for very long? 3 guys and a 3-month pregnant woman couldnt make it in a fortified mall, how will 1 one and a very pregnant woman (soon to be 1 man, 1 woman with post partum depresion, and a newborn infant) make it out in the open? To see the continuation of that story would be even more sad than the already bleak position we know them to be in.

That sequel would have lasted about 10 minutes. In the original script for dawn, right after fran decapitates herself, the engine dies out anyway. So if you take that at face value they might have gotten as far as the parking lot.

LOL. Yeah, we have to relay on our own imagination, plus if they did
do a continuation story about Dawn or Day, I bet some of us would have
been disappointed cause it wasn't like we had always imagined it to be.
I'd like to see those characters do a cameo, sort like show us they still
survived or something.
I prefer different stories as George has done, I think it might be
the first time that a trilogy has had different stories, unlike
others like Scream Trilogy or Alien.
Having new characters makes it fresh and new,
could a zombie epic be done as a continuing story?

I consider myself a fanboy so i feel safe in saying the fanboy's are never happy. They will always find something to gripe about.

Philly_SWAT
10-Jul-2007, 01:02 AM
That sequel would have lasted about 10 minutes. In the original script for dawn, right after fran decapitates herself, the engine dies out anyway. So if you take that at face value they might have gotten as far as the parking lot.True that!

I consider myself a fanboy so i feel safe in saying the fanboy's are never happy. They will always find something to gripe about. Well, I dont know about that. I consider myself a "fanboy" as well, however, I am quite happy that we have the films, and enjoy discussing them/disecting them. Although I may disagree with the points of views of others, I still enjoy hearing the opposing points of view.

darth los
10-Jul-2007, 02:58 AM
True that!

Well, I dont know about that. I consider myself a "fanboy" as well, however, I am quite happy that we have the films, and enjoy discussing them/disecting them. Although I may disagree with the points of views of others, I still enjoy hearing the opposing points of view.

No offesnse but if you're not the textbook example of a romero fanboy then i don't know what is. :p

sandrock74
10-Jul-2007, 04:27 AM
That's what our imagination is for. Didn't you learn anything from the sopranos ending? :p

Never watched an episode.

MissJacksonCA
10-Jul-2007, 04:34 AM

First i'd just like to say PS d'ya know what a bitch it is to read what you say with pictures rolling along the bottom grrr...

I'm not saying keep the characters alive... Like lets use the Dawn cast as our example... We know Stephen and Roger become zombies and are done for... and we see Peter and Fran fly off into the sunrise... for the next flick we see where Peter and Fran end up... the obstacles they're facing in delivering a baby and trying to find shelter from one day to the next... and introduce new characters... At some point Fran can die off or Peter or both... but I'm just saying it would be nice to see where they were going... what happened when they got there... and still wonder what they could've done differently to survive... maybe Fran woulda died in childbirth who knows?

To keep main characters alive for an entire series would be too convenient because it would be like granting them superhuman powers because frankly that just might be what it would take to survive a zombie outbreak. But I do have this deep seeded desire to know what happened to everyone.

Shaun Pegg
11-Jul-2007, 07:39 PM
I always enjoy stories that have open-ended conclusions -- it gets the brain cookin'. I like the no closure aspect because with a zombie outbreak you can't have a "happy" ending so you either kill everyone or leave it to imagination.

darth los
12-Jul-2007, 12:10 AM
I always enjoy stories that have open-ended conclusions -- it gets the brain cookin'. I like the no closure aspect because with a zombie outbreak you can't have a "happy" ending so you either kill everyone or leave it to imagination.

However sad it is to think about fran and peter dying you're probably right. It's naive to think that they could have lived out their lives in the mall happily ever after. Naive but not impossible though.

jim102016
12-Jul-2007, 12:47 AM
However sad it is to think about fran and peter dying you're probably right. It's naive to think that they could have lived out their lives in the mall happily ever after. Naive but not impossible though.

Only a matter of time before the electricity went off and the supplies ran out. Maybe the doors would have given way as more and more of the dead showed up. Had they got in, a baby crying from upstairs would have brought them even more trouble.

darth los
12-Jul-2007, 01:30 AM
Only a matter of time before the electricity went off and the supplies ran out. Maybe the doors would have given way as more and more of the dead showed up. Had they got in, a baby crying from upstairs would have brought them even more trouble.

The power had to be from a nuclear source. Conventional power sources would have failed after a short while. I don't think that the doors would have nescesarily given way because they ghouls couldn't get enough leverage under the truck. Also, there is only a fixed amount of space between the trucks and the doors so only a certain amount of the dead can be banging on the doors at any given time no matter how much their numbers swelled.