PDA

View Full Version : The Red Ring of Death

CornishCorpse
10-Jul-2007, 10:07 PM
Dear gods I hate microsoft. I flipped on the ole 360 for a gaming session a couple nights ago with my girlfriend and the red ring came up, ever since then the console wont do anything but flash the red ring. After consulting numerous sources on the internet and gamer friends I have come to the conclusion that my xbox is now f*ked, why? who knows? It hasnt been played that much and it has a decent amount of room for the fan inside to do its job. This happened right after I rebought dead rising! Damn damn damn damn..So I sold dead rising loosing myself a fiver. Damn game for not giving cash to anyone without ID..well without official id I suppose. What the hell? Kids cannot get cash trade ins? What is that about? The warranty has expired so I am well and truly screwed..:mad:

Anyway Im now selling off everything to do with the damn console and Im thinking about getting a wii, they are cheap enough on ebay but Im not sure about buying. Can anyone vouch for ebay with its low prices? I can get a wii for round about the fifty pound mark thats a big price cut for the wii. Is the wii as good as I have heard? The DBZ and MK games look like hella fun.

The red ring of death claims another victim. Apologies for ranting but what the hell? What sort of a console randomly craps out on someone? I had my ps and ps2 for over three years a piece and both worked fine, the games never had any problems running or scratched disks : Sigh : So I am converting to the wii, can anyone give me some opinions on the wii and purchasing something that seems insanely low price on ebay? Any help would be much appreciated

MikePizzoff
10-Jul-2007, 10:14 PM
There's a silly trick that temporarily fixes your 360:

Wrap it in two or three towels, so absolutely no air can get to it, turn it on and let it run for 15-20 mins, then turn it off and let it sit for at least 45 mins. Your 360 will be temporarily fixed.

What happens when you get those lights is that something soddered inside of the 360 comes loose (usually because the system never got enough ventilation where you had it)... doing this "trick" heats up the 360 and re-sodders the piece inside.

!!!TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

CornishCorpse
10-Jul-2007, 10:25 PM
Ive heard of the "towel trick" and I have tried but no luck..Ive tried it a few times but not a change at all, the red ring is still there and the screen does nothing but stays blank.

Thanks for the attempt to save it though.

CoinReturn
11-Jul-2007, 12:11 AM
Do you fall under the new replacement plan that Microsoft enacted? 3 year warranty from purchase if you get the 3 red lights of death:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/801/801684p1.html

darth los
11-Jul-2007, 01:04 AM
Do you fall under the new replacement plan that Microsoft enacted? 3 year warranty from purchase if you get the 3 red lights of death:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/801/801684p1.html

I was just going to say the same thing. I don't see any reason why he wouldn't. The plan covers every 360 since the launch for 3 years.

Danny
11-Jul-2007, 02:28 AM
are you 100% sure what the fault was cus the red ring also flashes when you just dont have one of the connections plugged in all the way, cus itd suck if you got rid of it all just becuase the power adaptor wasnt plugged in right, it happend to me once, red ring flashed up, -first time my mom heard me yell "****!" in front of here:lol:

darth los
11-Jul-2007, 02:51 AM
are you 100% sure what the fault was cus the red ring also flashes when you just dont have one of the connections plugged in all the way, cus itd suck if you got rid of it all just becuase the power adaptor wasnt plugged in right, it happend to me once, red ring flashed up, -first time my mom heard me yell "****!" in front of here:lol:

That's true. You should really check to see what was the cause. A similar thing happened to me once. I had the nyko intercooler hooked up to the back of my console. One day i fired it up and got the red rings !! I got sick to my stomach. There was no way this was happening to me. I switched the console on and off and it was fixed. However, this started to happen more and more frequently. I decided to check all my connections and noticed that the adapter, which due to the cooler does not plug directly into the 360 but through the cooler which serves as sort of a middle man, was very loose. I decided the remove the intercooler and haven't had a problem since.

MinionZombie
11-Jul-2007, 09:59 AM
*makes note, don't bother with intercooler...*

Aye, make sure all the connections are firmly in place, and aye - you should be covered under the new 3 year basic warranty that MS recently put in place, so you'll most definitely be within that. Call MS up, get them to ship you a box, send it off, get it fixed and it should be right as rain.

How long have you had your Xbox for by the way?

Speaking of temperature, I have a little thermometer that I sit beside it at the back (the warmest part usually) and it gets to 26 celcius at most, even when I've had a sizable sesh - or at least sizable to me anyway.

MikePizzoff
11-Jul-2007, 11:59 AM
Speaking of temperature, I have a little thermometer that I sit beside it at the back (the warmest part usually) and it gets to 26 celcius at most, even when I've had a sizable sesh - or at least sizable to me anyway.

Yeah, but I bet the INSIDE of our SEXBOX's are about 100+ fahrenheit. When I put my hand on the back vent or back-top of the system it feels HOT. I need to buy a mini fan to blow at it while I play. I refuse to buy an inter-cooler because I hear so many nightmares of the thing somehow fusing itself to the XBOX.

darth los
11-Jul-2007, 04:28 PM
Yeah, but I bet the INSIDE of our SEXBOX's are about 100+ fahrenheit. When I put my hand on the back vent or back-top of the system it feels HOT. I need to buy a mini fan to blow at it while I play. I refuse to buy an inter-cooler because I hear so many nightmares of the thing somehow fusing itself to the XBOX.

I've heard that as well. The thing doesn't seem to have a good track record. That's what happens when third parties make peripherals for a system. MS should definitely develop one of their own.

MinionZombie
11-Jul-2007, 05:37 PM
I've heard that as well. The thing doesn't seem to have a good track record. That's what happens when third parties make peripherals for a system. MS should definitely develop one of their own.
I thought they already did, one that sat alongside it? Hmmm...

As for my thermometer, the bulby bit which makes the red go up and down, that's sat right next to the back of my SexBox so it's basically touching the box itself.

I only play for 90 minutes at a time at most. Had a couple of 90 minute sessions, 26 celcius both times. If I was going to go any longer, I'd be blowing a desk fan on it.

Dtothe3
11-Jul-2007, 07:24 PM
Yeah dude you just need your receipt. Microsoft will now exchange your 360 for new production models (I think) that do not feature the faults. Old models will now be thrown away by Microsoft.

Cody
11-Jul-2007, 07:45 PM
I got the ring of death once. totally sucked.

CornishCorpse
11-Jul-2007, 07:55 PM
:Sheds a tear : God damnit I love you guys..I think I can get a replacment, although I dont have a warranty I do have a recipt that says that the 360 came with a warranty and has the date and all that other shizzle. Just checking if at all possible to get a replacment..

Still Im going to get a wii tomorrow, the 360 is tempting to try again but bah. Best case scenario I have a wii and a 360 and worst I have just the wii which will entertain me for hours on end. Plus I have old gamecube controllers,memorycards and that sort of stuff so I can save myself a tidy sum.

Ive checked my connections, Ive taken the 360 setup apart and plugged everything back in and checked my manual several times and bah its just fecked.

Ive had the 360 since christmas MZ :( not a good run but hopefully the date and the price on the recipt should be able to get me a 360 if not then bah. I wasnt expecting a replacemnt but it seems its possible now. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Edit: THANK YOU Dtothe3! Problem solved! :D

darth los
11-Jul-2007, 10:38 PM
There's no sense in not getting a replacement. I know you feel burned right now probably don't want to be bothered with it but some amazing games are coming out for the 360 this holiday season. You don't want to be left out in the cold. The wii is nice and everything but that and the 360 provide 2 totally different gaming experiences. Now if you were going to get a ps3 instead that would be different.

CornishCorpse
12-Jul-2007, 11:14 AM
No No No, Im going to get a replacment 360 for sure thanks to the info I got from this thread. Sending it off tomrorow in fact but Im also getting a wii as I have the cash for it and besides I still have yet to complete crackdown on 360 and besides Im desperate for assasins creed..No way in hell am I getting a ps3 not enough pros and plenty of cons.

Thanks again guys.

MinionZombie
12-Jul-2007, 11:40 AM
No No No, Im going to get a replacment 360 for sure thanks to the info I got from this thread. Sending it off tomrorow in fact but Im also getting a wii as I have the cash for it and besides I still have yet to complete crackdown on 360 and besides Im desperate for assasins creed..No way in hell am I getting a ps3 not enough pros and plenty of cons.

Thanks again guys.
Glad you're not leaving the SexBox mafia, hehe. Makes sense, and it'll let us all see how the new warranty scheme works from your first hand experience.

Speaking of Crackdown, I completed it (well, the bad guys) yesterday. Now I'm just leaping around collecting orbs and throwing cars around, hehe.

darth los
12-Jul-2007, 06:35 PM
Yeah, you definitely don't want to be shut out. The games that are coming out are so massive that you'll only need like 2 of them to last you a few months. GOW is great but it's campaign is short. Mass effect has the potential for hundreds of houurs of gameplay alone. They say if you thought that kotor changed the way rpg's are played then you haven't seen anything yet. Say goodbye to your loved ones for a while. :D

MinionZombie
13-Jul-2007, 02:45 PM
And of course two hard hitters - Halo 3 and GTA:IV coming out later this year. :)

darth los
13-Jul-2007, 04:42 PM
And of course two hard hitters - Halo 3 and GTA:IV coming out later this year. :)

Those are a given. I really think that bioshock has big potential as well from what i've seen from e3.

MinionZombie
13-Jul-2007, 09:41 PM
Those are a given. I really think that bioshock has big potential as well from what i've seen from e3.
That too indeed, I certainly dig the concept of a 1950's looking underwater metropolis, the footage certainly looks well good too.

darth los
13-Jul-2007, 10:03 PM
Tell me this gameplay footage doesn't kick ass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABj4Gdul4Do

Danny
14-Jul-2007, 01:23 AM
^ you dont need me to tell you im as gay for bioshock adn alan wake as mz is for stalker and japanese pop star hard gay is....well in general:lol:

darth los
14-Jul-2007, 01:35 AM
^ you dont need me to tell you im as gay for bioshock adn alan wake as mz is for stalker and japanese pop star hard gay is....well in general:lol:

That's a perfect idea for a thread. I'll meet you there !!

MinionZombie
14-Jul-2007, 10:33 AM
Oh don't go hogging Alan Wake all for yourself, I'm as gay for Wake as you are!

And yes, I'm totally gay for STALKER. :D