PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one who preferred the remake?

MissJacksonCA
11-Jul-2007, 05:08 AM
Just asking... I liked the remake of NOTLD more than the orig... I found the background music from the remake really added to the overall eerieness of the film and was even scary... also the orig. opening scenes in the cemetary were done better in the remake ... Johnny telling her they were coming to get her was done in a much creepier way in the remake... and just generally the acting IMO was better in the remake...

anyone else prefer the remake of notld?

my only problem is that barbara survived the remake and not the origional... i really liked when she kinda disappeared into the crowd of flesh hungry maniacs outside...

acealive1
11-Jul-2007, 05:09 AM
nope ur not. when i watch the series, i usually watch the remake of this one instead and then continue on with the series

darth los
11-Jul-2007, 05:11 AM
uh-oh.:eek: *dons flame retardant suit*

MissJacksonCA
11-Jul-2007, 05:12 AM
I also found the first zombie they encounter in the origional to be mighty fast and nimble and felt it contradicted the rest of the zombies who were slow shamblers

acealive1
11-Jul-2007, 05:14 AM
it just suits the collection better in terms of continuity. they all look kinda close together in terms of it not being black and white and they arent that far apart in terms of style.

Danny
11-Jul-2007, 05:30 AM
first off ,lol, darth said retard.

second, i like it a lot but i jsut rpefer the origional, there oth great films it just seems a little more frantic wereas 90 was all "hey lets just walk away and weel be fine", its about the time it was filmed in ,i dont mean in the usualm pretentious way people talk abotu romeros films its jsut a great 60's film, once of the best horrors of the decade, wereas 90 wasnt really as stadn out from the crowd in my opinion.

darth los
11-Jul-2007, 05:56 AM
first off ,lol, darth said retard.

second, i like it a lot but i jsut rpefer the origional, there oth great films it just seems a little more frantic wereas 90 was all "hey lets just walk away and weel be fine", its about the time it was filmed in ,i dont mean in the usualm pretentious way people talk abotu romeros films its jsut a great 60's film, once of the best horrors of the decade, wereas 90 wasnt really as stadn out from the crowd in my opinion.

I would go a step further and say that it was a great film for all times. I love the grittiness of the original. It felt like it was really happening. Plus you gotta love it because it's the original. The impact it had not only in the horror movie genre but in cinema in general will be felt long after the remake is forgotten about. If you think about it you could point to alot of things in the rest of the series that were done way better than they were in the original but there's alot to be said for being first. GAR for all intents and purposes created a genre with that film. NUFF' SAID.

Danny
11-Jul-2007, 06:22 AM
preach it man!:cool:

Ivarr
11-Jul-2007, 07:29 AM
I prefer this version as well. I like the characters better....

And lets be honest ... Pat Tallman for the win!

JohnoftheDead
11-Jul-2007, 11:30 AM
BLASPHEMY! No just kidding, I really liked NOTLD90 alot, probably pretty close to as much as I like the original. Probably the biggest reason I like the original is the time in my life I watched it, the way horror movies affect you when you're way too young to be watching them can run pretty deep. I guess I like them both for different reasons, 68 for that bleak hopeless feel you get from GAR's films, & 90 for the make-up effects, gore, & Tony Todd. But to be totally honest, NOTLD is probably my least favorite of all GAR's zombie movies, aside from how ground breaking it was.

Trancelikestate
11-Jul-2007, 02:13 PM
what can i say that hasnt been said already? i like them both a lot. when i was a kid i liked the remake more, but now that im older and can appreciate it i like the original more. its got a feel that cant be compared to any of the others. and it has sweet 60's hair :thumbsup:

coma
11-Jul-2007, 04:15 PM
The remake has TV movie photography and lighting whole 68 is full of atmosphree, radical angles and interesting editing. I like the remake but its workmanlike. Some of the new dialog is not very good. As a whole it has a TV movie feel. First time I aw it I didnt like it at all but it grew on me.

There were no rules as GAR was INVENTING the genre so any inconsistencies are easily brushed aside imo. And the Black and White issue is irrelevant as a con for 68. It adds to the atmosphere. Also at the time the Stock and camera GAR used was the same as the Ones being used in Viet nam and most coverage of riots, civil unrest etc. There are many reason why 68 is a classic while the remake is merely "Pretty cool".
Because GAR directed the trilogy they hang together perfectly because ...uh.. he directed them.

I saw them in order and I saw Night68 FIRST in the early 70s (before Dawn was released) so my perspective is different I guess. But it shouldnt be. 68 is great and is in no way superceded by a friggin' remake

darth los
11-Jul-2007, 05:16 PM
But to be totally honest, NOTLD is probably my least favorite of all GAR's zombie movies.

Considering that there's a film called land of the dead out there that's saying alot. Why do you hate it so? :(

axlish
11-Jul-2007, 09:23 PM
When you talk about the original, you are talking about an all-time great film, regardless of genre.

When you talk about the remake, you are talking about a film that is forgotten in the big scheme of things, and holds little value outside of this fanbase.

I think the remake is a bad film, and so does the director. To each his own, but I'm just sayin'...

EvilNed
11-Jul-2007, 09:34 PM
I too think the remake is sub-par. It's dull, it's oddly paced, the music right out sucks hardcore and overall it just... doesn't have anything going for it. I don't like it. It's tedious. Night 90 feels alot like patchwork of sketches which are all the same:

The zombies try to get into the house. They grab someones arm/head/ass. Someone else comes to help. They repell the zombies. They continue working.

That said, while the original is a classic, totally, It is also my least favourite of the Dead trilogy. I do not think it has aged that well, and the character of Barbara is just too 2D for me.

darth los
12-Jul-2007, 12:15 AM
I too think the remake is sub-par. It's dull, it's oddly paced, the music right out sucks hardcore and overall it just... doesn't have anything going for it. I don't like it. It's tedious. Night 90 feels alot like patchwork of sketches which are all the same:

The zombies try to get into the house. They grab someones arm/head/ass. Someone else comes to help. They repell the zombies. They continue working.

That said, while the original is a classic, totally, It is also my least favourite of the Dead trilogy. I do not think it has aged that well, and the character of Barbara is just too 2D for me.

There was music in night 90!?! :eek:

EvilNed
12-Jul-2007, 12:26 AM
There was music in night 90!?! :eek:

Yeah. Most notable at the start of the film, which is also when it's the most HORRIBLE. Listen to the music when Barbara runs to the farmhouse.

wyvern1096
12-Jul-2007, 12:52 AM
I liked the new one better as well. It didn't pull off 'creepy' as well as the origional but otherwise was a better movie.

darth los
12-Jul-2007, 01:22 AM
Yeah. Most notable at the start of the film, which is also when it's the most HORRIBLE. Listen to the music when Barbara runs to the farmhouse.

:lol:

I know. I was just trying to make a comment that the score was bland and forgettable.

coma
12-Jul-2007, 02:23 AM
Yes, it is ultra cheesy. I dont get how anyone could say its actually a better movie
Other than color how exactly was it improved on???

sandrock74
12-Jul-2007, 02:45 AM
I did like the ending on the remake better. Savini did a good job making it blend into Dawn seemlessly. Some bikers (THE bikers from Dawn perhaps?) appear at the end as well as the same type of group of rednecks you see in the begining of Dawn.
I just really liked the "flow" of the ending going into the begining of Dawn.

darth los
12-Jul-2007, 03:34 AM
It's easy to make it flow into another film when you can look back and have the referenced material on hand. GAR had no such advantage in 68'. He was just trying to make a movie with a bunch of associates. I highly doubt that he was thinking about continuity 10 years afterwards. There are alot of continuity/inconsistency problems in NOTLD that can be forgiven seeing as he didn't have his "rules" set in stone yet.

AcesandEights
12-Jul-2007, 09:34 AM
I'm glad Night 90 was done and there's a fair amount that's decent about the film, especially the ending as mentioned by Sandrock, but...it's just not done as well in my mind, nor is it anywhere near as scary to me.

Besides, NOTLD is a landmark event in cinema, while Night90 is emminently forgettable by most people who are not horror or zombie enthusiaists and even then opinions are mixed.

JohnoftheDead
12-Jul-2007, 11:30 AM
Considering that there's a film called land of the dead out there that's saying alot. Why do you hate it so? :(

Oh I don't hate it at all, I really love NOTLD, I just don't love it near as much as Dawn or Day. As far as Land goes, I really don't consider it a part of the Dead series. Now don't get me wrong, I am one of the few people around here who actually enjoyed Land, as a standalone zombie movie in the 2000's I consider it very good, but when i made my statement, I was comparing the original 3. I guess I worded it wrong by saying "GAR's zombie films" rather than "the trilogy". Oops!

RustyHicks
12-Jul-2007, 03:57 PM
Nothing can touch the original.
That is just a classic,
love the creepiness of the film,
the feeling of doom it gives off.
The remake is good, but just not
as good as the original.

darth los
12-Jul-2007, 07:14 PM
Oh I don't hate it at all, I really love NOTLD, I just don't love it near as much as Dawn or Day. As far as Land goes, I really don't consider it a part of the Dead series. Now don't get me wrong, I am one of the few people around here who actually enjoyed Land, as a standalone zombie movie in the 2000's I consider it very good, but when i made my statement, I was comparing the original 3. I guess I worded it wrong by saying "GAR's zombie films" rather than "the trilogy". Oops!

Actually the majority around here like land. There are a few of us, like you, who refuse to put land in with the others. There's just something off about that film and it doesn't give off the same vibe as the others. Hell, i still call the dead series a trilogy.