PDA

View Full Version : Tip jars... in some odd places... would you tip for this?

MissJacksonCA
11-Jul-2007, 05:33 AM
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/SavingandDebt/ConsumerActionGuide/WhatsUpWithAllThoseTipJars.aspx

This guy brings up a funny point... like at the market where he packed his own groceries and there was a tip jar... I mean if I'm doing all the work why would I tip you? When I go to this lil market in Canada the guy who's known me since I was 10 packs my groceries into my car, fills my gas tank, checks my fluids, makes sure my tires are full, and asks me out for the millionth time... I tip him and occasionally even bring him lil goodie baskets with cookies or muffins to show him hey your service means the world to me. But when I go to the Piggly Wiggly and the moron cashier puts canned goods next to my breads I wouldn't dare tip them. Matter of fact I wouldn't tip anyone at the grocery store unless they carried my stuff for me to my car but that's just because the latter part is going above and beyond the call of duty... I shouldn't have to pay someone for just simply doing their job.

There was a doctors office I went to that had a tip jar as well... I was incensed because the receptionist had to have been making at least 10-15 dollars an hour sitting on her ass being rude to people. Why would I tip her?

I was reading the phone book one time (its got some neat stuff in there!) and there were tip reccomendations that kinda irked me. For instance... the pizza delivery guy doesn't get 15-20% he gets 3 bucks for two pizzas and if you have more than two give him more but not much. I always tip on a pecenage basis so I thought that was strange.

I always try to tip the people at Starbucks but they dont have a tip jar and once the girl told me they couldn't take any. They take tips at Joe Muggs so I didn't really get it. I feel like when they're friendly and make a quality bevvy I should tip them because there was a time when I went into Arabica and the girl was yip yapping to her friend behind the counter and I was like good morning ... and all love and sweetness and she ignored me! For several minutes I stood there until I got so PO'd I called her boss who was a pal of mine to say this chick outta be fired. So I guess I could say bad service makes me tip for good service.

I dont tip when I pickup pizza for myself but I tip the Chinese take-away. I'm strange like that I dont know why.

Something that always irked me was when I'd bartend and people come up to the bar sit down order a drink and dont tip. This girl always came in and did that to me so I trained her to tip by not helping her for at least ten minutes until she told me she was going to complain to my boss. I told her to go ahead because I work for paying customers seeing as I make 2 dollars an hour. She became my best tipper...

What do you tip for and what do you refuse to tip for?

acealive1
11-Jul-2007, 05:35 AM
i dont tip where someone gets paid at least minimum wage. so YES i will tip waiters and bartenders and all that cuz i been there before.

Danny
11-Jul-2007, 05:40 AM
i never really got the whole "tips" thing, we dont do it over here, least no were iver ever been too, kind seems real lazy, sure people can allwasy use extra money but you have a job becuase you doing it for money to buy stuff, being given more jsut for being is rude in my mind, especially in hotels, wow you carried a bag, adn youll probably get a decent wage for jsut that, adn yet you expect a tenner for doing your job your allready getting paid for?:rolleyes:

acealive1
11-Jul-2007, 05:42 AM
i never really got the whole "tips" thing, we dont do it over here, least no were iver ever been too, kind seems real lazy, sure people can allwasy use extra money but you have a job becuase you doing it for money to buy stuff, being given more jsut for being is rude in my mind, especially in hotels, wow you carried a bag, adn youll probably get a decent wage for jsut that, adn yet you expect a tenner for doing your job your allready getting paid for?:rolleyes:

true enough. the only ones i'd tip are the ones that rely on tips to break even (waiters,bartenders) cuz they dont make but about $2 an hour seriously. so those valet guys can go to hell cuz they make sick money

Danny
11-Jul-2007, 05:46 AM
i think some things over in the u.s just go over-****ing-board, like as well as a waiter some u.s resurants do this "comfort technitian" or some **** were they arrive, say they refil you rink or something ,tell you that means you should leave a tip then piss off adn you dont see them again.

freind of mine who was on holiday in new engladn left a note saying "get a real ****ing job, theresa tip".

granted its probably been done dozens of times before but its still funny as fook.

darth los
11-Jul-2007, 05:51 AM
I don't believe in tipping someone for a job that they're supposed to do in the first place unless they go above and beyond what's required of them. Like say a taxi driver drives you to your destination. Why does he deserve a tip? I can see if they loaded and unloaded my bags for me or even took them upstairs, but most cab drivers in nyc just sit on their fat asses.

acealive1
11-Jul-2007, 05:51 AM
also, i give tips based on service and attitude. u dont get me at least ONE refill,u just lost a tip. some dumb ass woman lost out on a giant tip cuz she ignored us the whole time. i had just got paid and i was feeling generous.

MissJacksonCA
11-Jul-2007, 05:52 AM
I dont get the whole having to tip a cab driver... I mean when I take a cab and he takes me ten miles outta my way trying to run up a huge tab I'm not tipping for that! The last time that happened to me I told the guy I only had 15 bucks and he either gets a tip or turns off his meter. They also do something bizarre here... one cab company is a standard 8 dollar fare anywhere within the city... but they pick up multiple people so it can take up to 20 even 30 minutes to get to where you have to go ... thats riddick!

acealive1
11-Jul-2007, 05:52 AM
I don't believe in tipping someone for a job that they're supposed to do in the first place unless they go above and beyond what's required of them. Like say a taxi driver drives you to your destination. Why does he deserve a tip? I can see if they loaded and unloaded my bags for me or even took them upstairs, but most cab drivers in nyc just sit on their fat asses.

i couldnt tip a cab driver.they make **** loads. i tip people who bust their ass for pennies. like the waiters at pizza hut.

Khardis
11-Jul-2007, 05:54 AM
true enough. the only ones i'd tip are the ones that rely on tips to break even (waiters,bartenders) cuz they dont make but about $2 an hour seriously. so those valet guys can go to hell cuz they make sick money

Ugh I HATED being a waiter >:(

2 bucks nothing... we used to LIVE off the tips.

acealive1
11-Jul-2007, 05:54 AM
I dont get the whole having to tip a cab driver... I mean when I take a cab and he takes me ten miles outta my way trying to run up a huge tab I'm not tipping for that! The last time that happened to me I told the guy I only had 15 bucks and he either gets a tip or turns off his meter. They also do something bizarre here... one cab company is a standard 8 dollar fare anywhere within the city... but they pick up multiple people so it can take up to 20 even 30 minutes to get to where you have to go ... thats riddick!

:eek: where is this cab company? cuz i got charged $7 friggin dollars for a 2 minute ride. on MY dime and my friends just sat in the cab and didnt even offer to pay me for the ride so far when they had to go further

Khardis
11-Jul-2007, 05:55 AM
i think some things over in the u.s just go over-****ing-board, like as well as a waiter some u.s resurants do this "comfort technitian" or some **** were they arrive, say they refil you rink or something ,tell you that means you should leave a tip then piss off adn you dont see them again.

freind of mine who was on holiday in new engladn left a note saying "get a real ****ing job, theresa tip".

granted its probably been done dozens of times before but its still funny as fook.

Thats cool, thats why we spit in your food when you're not looking :D

Meh, I tip, and I over tip the only time i don't tip is if the person is giving me a serious attitude. When you tip generously and over tip they remember you and it comes back to you later, I promise. So remember that.

darth los
11-Jul-2007, 06:00 AM

In nyc we have zoning prices for cab companies. It doesn't matter if it's 2 or 10 blocks away, as long as it falls in that zone they'll charge you the same price. I also get very agitated when they take a while picking other people up. First off i'm taking a cab because i really have to get somewhere, otherwise i'd take the train or bus. Second, i'm paying for you to get me there in a timely fashion.

MissJacksonCA
11-Jul-2007, 06:02 AM
Its true when you over tip it can bite you in the ass. After a point the service starts to slack

thanks for the tip about nyc cabs i'll remember that next time

Khardis
11-Jul-2007, 06:06 AM
Its true when you over tip it can bite you in the ass. After a point the service starts to slack

Totally untrue. They remember you, and they perk up when you repeat business, **** then they all star tto fight over you to serve you. Its people who don't tip or tip poorly who get the crap service when they come back or get the loogie.

I speak from experience.

In nyc we have zoning prices for cab companies. It doesn't matter if it's 2 or 10 blocks away, as long as it falls in that zone they'll charge you the same price. I also get very agitated when they take a while picking other people up. First off i'm taking a cab because i really have to get somewhere, otherwise i'd take the train or bus. Second, i'm paying for you to get me there in a timely fashion.

Why take a cab though? They are just tourist traps in NYC, the subway is the way to go. Is it economical enough for you to buy a metro pass? I live close to NYC and go almost every week, so I just buy the metro card and I save a lot on NYC travel expenses.

acealive1
11-Jul-2007, 06:07 AM
Ugh I HATED being a waiter >:(

2 bucks nothing... we used to LIVE off the tips.

ohh ok.it must be just in ohio then. they have to be on payroll here but at crappy pay per hour

MissJacksonCA
11-Jul-2007, 06:09 AM
Totally untrue. They remember you, and they perk up when you repeat business, **** then they all star tto fight over you to serve you. Its people who don't tip or tip poorly who get the crap service when they come back or get the loogie.

I speak from experience.

It can be true... we used to fight over these old guys who tipped 80 dollars regardless of service... eventually they got so pissed by the bad service they didn't tip at all the last time they came in and said it was the last time they would dine there.

People know me because of how I tip where ever I go... and then the server starts to kiss ass and wants to make conversation while all i'm trying to do is spend time with my friends... I'm not going to tip for that.

And as a server and a bartender I always gave 100% service regardless of how crappy a tipper a person was known to be. If people dont tip there has to be a reason for it and it genearlly revolves around service.

Khardis
11-Jul-2007, 06:12 AM
It can be true... we used to fight over these old guys who tipped 80 dollars regardless of service... eventually they got so pissed by the bad service they didn't tip at all the last time they came in and said it was the last time they would dine there.

People know me because of how I tip where ever I go... and then the server starts to kiss ass and wants to make conversation while all i'm trying to do is spend time with my friends... I'm not going to tip for that.

And as a server and a bartender I always gave 100% service regardless of how crappy a tipper a person was known to be. If people dont tip there has to be a reason for it and it genearlly revolves around service.

Oh i used to always give 100% service too. And those who didnt tip got substandard service the next time they returned so I could spend more time forcuing good efforts on people who did tip for good service. Usually people dont tip for 2 reasons:

1. Attitude of the server
2. They are cheap jerkoffs.

2 tends to be the standard.

Danny
11-Jul-2007, 06:14 AM
http://www.illwillpress.com/rest.html

a fomay rant in the same vein to explain my view

'cept for the "ugly waitress.-MINUS 5 DOLLARS!:lol:

acealive1
11-Jul-2007, 06:15 AM
i go to the chinese buffet here in town and i ALWAYS tip. they go above adn beyond the call of duty for YOUR business. one time i was with my mom and she asked for a pepsi....they brought her a coke and she told them what she asked for. but i guess they only served coke products. yeah....the manager went and got her a pepsi out of their own personal cooler. i tipped them a five spot just for that. plus the food is always excellent

Khardis
11-Jul-2007, 06:18 AM
i go to the chinese buffet here in town and i ALWAYS tip. they go above adn beyond the call of duty for YOUR business. one time i was with my mom and she asked for a pepsi....they brought her a coke and she told them what she asked for. but i guess they only served coke products. yeah....the manager went and got her a pepsi out of their own personal cooler. i tipped them a five spot just for that. plus the food is always excellent

I always feel bad for them. The majority of the kids who work at these chinese buffets etc tend to be modern day slaves. They get their trip to America paid for, they aren't told that its illegal and then they are stuck working for free for many of these places or else they get dropped off at INS and sent back to China, its really terrible.

acealive1
11-Jul-2007, 06:20 AM
yea true. i made sure to give the chick the money in her hand so her boss wouldnt take it.

darth los
11-Jul-2007, 06:23 AM
I always feel bad for them. The majority of the kids who work at these chinese buffets etc tend to be modern day slaves. They get their trip to America paid for, they aren't told that its illegal and then they are stuck working for free for many of these places or else they get dropped off at INS and sent back to China, its really terrible.

You gotta love that indentured servitude. It's not only with them either. It happens to almost all immigrants. It's like you have the power of god over them when they know all it takes is a phone call from you and they're back making fajitas in tiajuana. I get the feeling even if they knew the deal they would still jump at the chance to get out of china. You think it's hard to make a decent wage here? Try competing with 1.2 billion people for work. I'd probably be pulling a rickshaw too.

acealive1
11-Jul-2007, 06:25 AM
*has a mental image of darth pulling a rickshaw with a fat chinese lady in the carriage* :lol:

Khardis
11-Jul-2007, 06:31 AM
You gotta love that indentured servitude. It's not only with them either. It happens to almost all immigrants. It's like you have the power of god over them when they know all it takes is a phone call from you and they're back making fajitas in tiajuana. I get the feeling even if they knew the deal they would still jump at the chance to get out of china. You think it's hard to make a decent wage here? Try competing with 1.2 billion people for work. I'd probably be pulling a rickshaw too.

Oh absolutely. I spent a bit of time in China in Chengdu. The common wage for most folks there for a standard service job is 5RMB an hour.

5 RMB an hour... its absurd its like 60 cents an hour.

darth los
11-Jul-2007, 06:34 AM
Oh absolutely. I spent a bit of time in China in Chengdu. The common wage for most folks there for a standard service job is 5RMB an hour.

5 RMB an hour... its absurd its like 60 cents an hour.

I always say that americans are spoiled and don't appreciate their high overall standard of living. The average welfare recipient lives better than most people in third world countries. I read a study that said that if you make 20,000 a year then you are in the top 11% wealthiest people in the world catagory. People in other countries have it really rough. I always appreciate this country. We have our problems but i wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

acealive1
11-Jul-2007, 06:37 AM
they say we're spoiled, i say we worked to build our country from nothing in about 200 years. pretty damn impressive since china's been around THOUSANDS of years and cant get it right.

Khardis
11-Jul-2007, 06:38 AM
I always say that americans are spoiled and don't appreciate their high overall standard of living. The average welfare recipient lives better than most people in third world countries. I read a study that said that if you make 20,000 a year then you are in the top 11% wealthiest people in the world catagory. People in other countries have it really rough. I always appreciate this country. We have our problems but i wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Look at it this way, for all the whining about our poor, and our needy etc in this country we have the only country in the world where the POOR are OBESE. Where the POOR drive cars and have Heating in thier houses. Where the POOR have Color TVs.

they say we're spoiled, i say we worked to build our country from nothing in about 200 years. pretty damn impressive since china's been around THOUSANDS of years and cant get it right.

Well, you have to also count Europes history as Americas. I mean just because this country has been around only 200 some odd years, it was still built by people who came from 1000s of years of western civilization. The English, the French, the Germans, the Romans, the Greeks etc.

acealive1
11-Jul-2007, 06:40 AM
dude, some poor people got more than me. they get breaks just cuz they're "poor". in town they can get an apartment for $50 a month, the same apartment runs me $500

darth los
11-Jul-2007, 06:42 AM
Look at it this way, for all the whining about our poor, and our needy etc in this country we have the only country in the world where the POOR are OBESE. Where the POOR drive cars and have Heating in thier houses. Where the POOR have Color TVs.

That's exactly what i mean. These same poor are also always complaining about their situation instead of getting off their asses and bettering themselves. They don't appreciate how good they really have it compared to the rest of the worlds poor, hell middle class for that matter. You go to the averege person who recieve's public assistance home and they live better than most other countries middle class. You see people on welfare with cell phones computers, expensive sneakers. No wonder illegals want to sneak in here and reap the benefits.

Khardis
11-Jul-2007, 06:43 AM
dude, some poor people got more than me. they get breaks just cuz they're "poor". in town they can get an apartment for $50 a month, the same apartment runs me $500

Don't I know it. I was out on my luck a few years back and had 0 money because of crippling debt. I mean I really did myself in with college loans, I was like 20 or 30K in the hole and my job was crap, but i couldn't leave it because it was a stepping stone at the time. I applied for medical assistance to have my wisdom teeth pulled as they were in great pain (3 impacted). Well I was declined because they said I had too much access. Heh. I ended up just saving up a couple grand to pay myself. I think I went through a case of aspirin that few months.

acealive1
11-Jul-2007, 06:45 AM
That's exactly what i mean. These same poor are also always complaining about their situation instead of getting off their asses and bettering themselves. They don't appreciate how good they really have it compared to the rest of the worlds poor, hell middle class for that matter. You go to the averege person who recieve's public assistance home and they live better than most other countries middle class. You see people on welfare with cell phones computers, expensive sneakers. No wonder illegals want to sneak in here and reap the benefits.

my god you speak the truth. i worked in retail for years and you'd see all these damn people shopping with food stamps and leaving in an SUV with $6,000 a piece rims and they have the nerve to complain about the price of something. give me like $3,000 a month in freee food and i'd complain not once. they dont work either, they make it a career and its like passed down to the next generation. or they get mad when they cant buy soda cuz its a sugar tax here

Khardis
11-Jul-2007, 06:45 AM

I dont understand how people can be poor and remain poor in this country. Let alone homeless unless they are crazy or paralyzed or whatever. I mean if you cant make it here, WHERE THE HELL ELSE CAN YOU MAKE IT? I spent a few years scraping by, but it was temporary as i was paying off debts and positioning myself into better jobs and career switches. Now things are going better. If I can come from a ghetto with NOTHING and catch ZERO breaks for school etc then why cant these other bastards?

darth los
11-Jul-2007, 06:46 AM
Don't I know it. I was out on my luck a few years back and had 0 money because of crippling debt. I mean I really did myself in with college loans, I was like 20 or 30K in the hole and my job was crap, but i couldn't leave it because it was a stepping stone at the time. I applied for medical assistance to have my wisdom teeth pulled as they were in great pain (3 impacted). Well I was declined because they said I had too much access. Heh. I ended up just saving up a couple grand to pay myself. I think I went through a case of aspirin that few months.

It's gotten to the point where you can't even be in the middle class in this country antmore. You either have to be rich enough to cover medical expenses, etc. yourself, or be poor enough so that the gov't takes care of all that stuff for you. The middle class really gets shafted and that's why it's disapearing.

acealive1
11-Jul-2007, 06:47 AM

damn,bro. im at zero money right now,it hurts but im not in debt. cant get a damn job though,tried. went and filled out applications,went to job placement services but it doesnt work if u arent a freakin dumbass who cant tie their own shoes

I dont understand how people can be poor and remain poor in this country. Let alone homeless unless they are crazy or paralyzed or whatever. I mean if you cant make it here, WHERE THE HELL ELSE CAN YOU MAKE IT? I spent a few years scraping by, but it was temporary as i was paying off debts and positioning myself into better jobs and career switches. Now things are going better. If I can come from a ghetto with NOTHING and catch ZERO breaks for school etc then why cant these other bastards?

i did the same thing bro. south central los angeles is where i came from. nothing was guaranteed.

darth los
11-Jul-2007, 06:49 AM
damn,bro. im at zero money right now,it hurts but im not in debt. cant get a damn job though,tried. went and filled out applications,went to job placement services but it doesnt work if u arent a freakin dumbass who cant tie their own shoes

Don't you just love how the bush administration swaers that the economy is just dandy? The economy is great for the richest americans. For those of us that don't follow nasdaq it sucks. We live in the real world and i agree it's hard to get a decent job. You have to know somebody nowdays just to get a job a the mall for pete's sake.

Khardis
11-Jul-2007, 06:50 AM

i did the same thing bro. south central los angeles is where i came from. nothing was guaranteed.

Just keep hitting the apps. Youll get something sooner or later it took me some time to. Also consider opening up your own business. Find something your good at and start capitalizing on it big time.

Danny
11-Jul-2007, 06:57 AM
well in my case im good at making stupid jokes adn not much else, so im screwed.

acealive1
11-Jul-2007, 06:58 AM
yea i've done a lil "computer related business" recently

Don't you just love how the bush administration swaers that the economy is just dandy? The economy is great for the richest americans. For those of us that don't follow nasdaq it sucks. We live in the real world and i agree it's hard to get a decent job. You have to know somebody nowdays just to get a job a the mall for pete's sake.

its great for the rich people and the dumb poor ones who swear everything is cool. driving a buick 88 with a bush sticker is sheer irony to me when i see it

coma
11-Jul-2007, 04:26 PM

Uh, how is treating somelike like a slave funny?

Word to the wise.
AS a waiter certain people have a reputation as being crap tipper, namely Europenas. They demand a lot and then tip nothing. I used to get like 2,3 bucks an hour and after a while I just ignored them becasue they NEVER tip. Its a custon here and if you dont like it DONT VISIT THE US.

Youre friend is a MEGA asshole.

NO WAY. Pay me more I give you more. hats the way it works. And I dont call it overtipping, its big tipping. Its the code of the waiter/Bartender.

ohh ok.it must be just in ohio then. they have to be on payroll here but at crappy pay per hour
Naw dude, thats what he was saying. You get a miserable hourly and your actual pay is the tips. If noone tips you make 15 bucks for a whole day.

You see people on welfare with cell phones computers, expensive sneakers. No wonder illegals want to sneak in here and reap the benefits.
Thats from extracurricular activities like selling dope. You dont get much at all from welfare barely subsistence. And I wouldnt want to see a 50 dollar apt. It must be in sh*tsville.
Illegals CANT get welfare or medicaid or any bennys in NY dude unless they get pregnant. That is a misconception.

darth los
11-Jul-2007, 04:37 PM
well in my case im good at making stupid jokes adn not much else, so im screwed.

I wouldn't say that. I'm sure there's a market for your talents somewhere. You're still young there's plenty of time to figure out what you want to do. Just enjoy life while you can.

MissJacksonCA
11-Jul-2007, 05:26 PM

Word to the wise.
AS a waiter certain people have a reputation as being crap tipper, namely Europenas. They demand a lot and then tip nothing. I used to get like 2,3 bucks an hour and after a while I just ignored them becasue they NEVER tip. Its a custon here and if you dont like it DONT VISIT THE US.

NO WAY. Pay me more I give you more. hats the way it works. And I dont call it overtipping, its big tipping. Its the code of the waiter/Bartender.

Naw dude, thats what he was saying. You get a miserable hourly and your actual pay is the tips. If noone tips you make 15 bucks for a whole day.

Thats from extracurricular activities like selling dope. You dont get much at all from welfare barely subsistence. And I wouldnt want to see a 50 dollar apt. It must be in sh*tsville.
Illegals CANT get welfare or medicaid or any bennys in NY dude unless they get pregnant. That is a misconception.

well I think its cheating the owner of a bar by giving big tippers more... its like hooking your friends up when they come in... its wrong

and Canadiens are also bad tippers because in Canada the waiters and bartenders get min wage or better... same in Europe... they prolly just dont know any better ... like when a person goes into a restaurant with an Entertainment card that knocks off an entree and they tip you on the reduced total... they dont realize you're tipping out on the whole total

Danny
11-Jul-2007, 05:44 PM

Word to the wise.

wow ,just blew right over your head huh?:bored:
SHE WASNT A WAITER!, i said that, as well as them being serves food by a waiter, who they did tip, she just showed up callign herself a "comfort techniction" asked for them to leave her a tip and was never seen again.

thanks for reading the whole paragraph before being oh so witty;) :rolleyes:

coma
11-Jul-2007, 06:12 PM
wow ,just blew right over your head huh?:bored:
SHE WASNT A WAITER!, i said that, as well as them being serves food by a waiter, who they did tip, she just showed up callign herself a "comfort techniction" asked for them to leave her a tip and was never seen again.

thanks for reading the whole paragraph before being oh so witty;) :rolleyes:
What you wrote barely made sense so I figured you meant a waiter or a kind of busboy with a different title. Dont blame me for a bunch of these asterisks*** and mangled English dude. And I still don't see how that was funny anyway because I have actually had jobs (period) and ones where you have to ask for embarrassing ****.

well I think its cheating the owner of a bar by giving big tippers more... its like hooking your friends up when they come in... its wrong

I meant extra service not free stuff. Like a faster response though I work hard anyway but when you stiff me youre getting ignored. And I could have given 2 sh*ts about the gangster exploitive bosses I worked for anyway for the most part.
I dont think hooking your friends up a little bit is wrong. Its part of the perks of having such a crap job in the first place.

I would never tip in a Doctors offic. Thats TACKY. I have never seen that and I cant imagine why you would. The Tip jar thing is getting nuts. Theres a tip cup everywhere now.

EDIT;
Y'know Hellsing that post reminded me of all the times I got stiffed and burned and crapped on by strangers at jobs like that. It can really scar you brain after years of that kind of stuff. What can I say, Im sensitive.***sniff**. I dont know about that case but I have actually been instructed to say tacky stuff and if you think your going to get stiffed you might say something, though I usually took my chances because you can look really stupid doing that stuff.

Cody
11-Jul-2007, 07:30 PM
13% of the bill. thats what I always do

darth los
11-Jul-2007, 11:06 PM
13% of the bill. thats what I always do

According to the average i belive that's generous. I think it's around 8-10%. However i don't work in that industry so i wouldn't really know but it sounds about right. I would give more or less based on the service i get at that visit. I don't really set a number.

coma
11-Jul-2007, 11:40 PM
According to the average i belive that's generous. I think it's around 8-10%. However i don't work in that industry so i wouldn't really know but it sounds about right. I would give more or less based on the service i get at that visit. I don't really set a number.
Nope.
Its supposed to be 15%. I guess your a sh*tty tipper there Darth:p

MikePizzoff
12-Jul-2007, 12:04 AM
Nope.

15% at the least.

darth los
12-Jul-2007, 12:20 AM
Nope.

I guess i am. :lol: I honestly didn't know what the going rate was. :shifty:

I usually don't eat out and with that kfc/taco bell rat scandal it looks like i won't be for a good long while.

Cody
12-Jul-2007, 12:20 AM
dud so it turns our im a cheap ass

coma
12-Jul-2007, 02:24 AM
15% at the least.
Word to big bird. Me, Im 20% all the way. You gots to have class

If you guys who are cheap get crap service dont wonder why:moon:

darth los
12-Jul-2007, 02:32 AM
i don't see how vindictive service is going to get them more money anyway. Like i said, you get tipped based on the service. If i feel you went above and beyond the call of duty to give me a pleasant experience than i will tip accordingly, but no one is "entitled" to a good tip.

coma
12-Jul-2007, 02:46 AM
i don't see how vindictive service is going to get them more money anyway. Like i said, you get tipped based on the service. If i feel you went above and beyond the call of duty to give me a pleasant experience than i will tip accordingly, but no one is "entitled" to a good tip.

A fair tip is what they are entitled to and 8 percent aint it. **** tippers tip **** no matter how good you are

If you go to a place more than once and you are a stiff I am not going to care if you like it or not/ I work for money and if you dont pay me I am not a slave and thats all their is to it. People who have worked at jobs like that feel the same way. And thats not "vindictive service" it means you are going to have to call me if you want something, I am not going to check and I am not filling your drink and I will stop and chat to my buddy first./ There is a connection between cheapskates, pushy attitude and rudeness. If you wanna be a dick PAY ME, if not hit the bricks. (thats the hypothetical you), but Darth if you had a job like that you would know EXACTLY what Im talking about.

People who tip good
Waiters/Bartender )biggest tips)
Cops and Fireman
Construction Workers or electricians etc
Pimps (yup!)

Bad tips
Politicians (like Mike Bloomberg who is a total DICK)
Younger people (Not kids I mean)
Rich guys with trophy girlfriends
Anybody who calls you by saying "Yo! C'mere"
French People
And more

There are, of course, exceptions

When you first start doing that work older servers warn you who tips bad and you dont believe them but sure enough, like clockwork, they are dead on. I worked in Bars, Restaurants etc in various jobs for over 10 years and its weird how people stereotype themselves and dont even know it

Danny
12-Jul-2007, 03:07 AM
Bad tips

Anybody who calls you by saying "Yo! C'mere"

i dont know why but i find that very,very funny, don vito funny.

MissJacksonCA
12-Jul-2007, 06:53 AM

I think its a geographical thing how much you're going to get on average. For instance in California I could get a hundred dollar tip for a single glass of wine served. A good lot of people I knew in the food and bev there would pull in on average in a good weekend a thousand dollars. Which is how it was such a scam where my mom waited tables at this country club. They'd charge all their guests an automatic 20% tip on everything they ordered in the bar/dining room/lounge but the servers never got that tip. What they got was $9.50 an hour or $10.50 an hour if they were ontime every day for work and never called out. If you worked for the Ritz Carlton you could even make a mean living just offa reffering people to work there because they'd pay you money everytime someone you refferred got hired and actually stayed to work there.

In Charleston its obscene how little money you make on tips. I expected to make at the very least 15% of my total sales daily. I set the bar too high because I would wind up making 5-10% of my total sales in tips. And that's before my 3-5% tip out. I never would've imagined people would tip so badly ...not to mention that people would literally give you two cents or nothing at all. There was a time when I thought a person in the cocktail lounge was being rude when they would ask a customer if they wanted their dollar and thirty-six cents change back on their forty-five dollar tab until I realized hell thats the only way to make a buck.

I remember one of my last days at work the owner of the restaurant comped food for a table I had... he was sitting nearby and he heard them complaining every ten seconds about one thing or another. First they wanted to buy drinks in the bar on happy hour and bring them to my table. I said no you can't do that AND the drinks you want aren't available on happy hour. Then they wanted happy hour food prices and couldn't understand why it wasn't available in the dining room. Gee maybe because its a bar and this is the dining room. Then they kept sending drinks back and changing their order. I got so pissed off I had to go into the walk-in to scream for five minutes. As if that wasn't bad enough my boss came up to me and said the owner was paying for their entire bill... It was over a hundred dollars... I was like WTF is he paying the bill for? They're trying to bitch up a storm to get **** for free or disconted and they're not going to tip me. I treated them like gold. I treated everyone like gold. I told them their check was taken care of and they wanted to know who paid and I was told I couldn't say so I didnt and told them to have a wonderful evening and how sorry we were for all the problems they had and to come see us again. They didn't leave me a dime. Or a penny. Not a ****ing nickel. I told my boss who was like no way? And I was like yeah ya douche I told you they were trash. He called the owner to tell him they left me nothing and he was like no way too. The next day he came in to talk to me and actually asked me if I was seriously telling the truth... I was like ya Brett... I paid 6 dollars for them to eat here and take up my booth for two hours. He gave me twenty bucks and I gave him a death glance. It was one of many times I lost my faith in humanity. Working in food and beverage is something like being a bum on the street. You basically have to rely on the kindness of strangers and eventually you find out people just aren't that giving.

RustyHicks
12-Jul-2007, 03:28 PM
I usually always tip when eating out or having a drink at the bar,
if the waitress is slow and rude, or the bartender takes his time,
I may leave them 25 cents :)
But I don't mind tipping waitresses and waiters,
cause I know how hard it is. Most people think,
bah, all you do is carry drinks and serves. Not so,
we have to deal with rude people, arrogance,
fall down drunks who want to fight cause they think
you looked at them the wrong way. So I kinda know the
struggles the servers in bars and restuarants have. I've
never tipped at a grocery store and most gas stations around
here is self serve, so why should I tip the attendant when I
did all the work

coma
12-Jul-2007, 04:59 PM
Thats true rusty. Its actually a very , very hard job that looks easy if you MAKE it look easy.
You're supossed to tip at least 15% everywhere in the US and if you're a skinflint you get less. You have to run constantly, get abused and often for free because you get stiffed. People insult you for absolutely no reason and repeatedly and you're supposed to just eat it.
Also tips get split with Waiter, Busboy, Hostess, Chef (sometimes) and bartender. If you liked everything but the waiter then you stiff the guy who made you the good for for example. Or the food wasnt great but the waitress was good and you stiff her thats wrong being that the chef gets the smallest percentage.

There are some stories of the 1000 dollar a night but that is extremely rare. Usually its just OK pay. Occasionally when I Bartended I may make 150 or so a night but there are also 20 dollar shifts so it evens out to just OK.

I have also had the "house steals the tips" scam. And sometimes the Maitre D steals tips too.