PDA

View Full Version : Do you trust banks or stash your cash?

MissJacksonCA
11-Jul-2007, 03:04 PM
http://money.aol.com/special/places-to-hide-money

I've had a lot of issues with banks in my past. When I moved outta my dads house I tried to close out my college fund account and because it was a co-sign account I wasn't able to do so without my dad signing off on it grrr... and then there's just been lil oopsie times when I dont track my balance and end up paying $30 dollars for a fifty cent overdraft...and then there was a time I tried to take about 5k outta the bank and the lady laughed at me and said I needed to give her notice because the bank doesn't have enough to give me that (it was in Winnipeg I mean come on they had to have had enough) or some such silly reason... which is funny because I've been able to take out more than that at the Wells Fargo in California in cash without any stupid notice but hey whatever... even still filling out the IRS forms explaining stuff pisses me off almost as much as reporting my income to them.

Having as many house fires as I have had either minor or major makes me fearful of stashing my cash. Generally I'll stash cash I make into a firesafe and at the end of the week wrap it into certain denominations and deposit it into a safety deposit box AT the bank. My grandmother was a real stasher... she would stash cash in her bed mattress... in her pillows... and in books. My old roomie and I would stash grocery cash and the like in tampon boxes because what dude who comes over would look in there right? Eventually that became a bad idea because the more I put in money the more would go missing and of course that was the end of splitting costs with a roomie.

So my question to everyone is do you trust banks with your money or stash your cash? Any good hiding spot suggestions?

acealive1
11-Jul-2007, 03:16 PM
Stash Da Cash!!

Trancelikestate
11-Jul-2007, 03:23 PM
oh i really hate banks. i've had a few overdrafts thats for sure. citizens bank in the pittsburgh area will let you overdraft it by hundreds of dollars if you want. its retarded. i would say a firesafe is a good idea, if i had any cash to stash haha. but no, i'm kinda poor. :) also i've never filed my taxes before, EVER. so im a rebel in that area too. maybe not the best idea but oh well.

MissJacksonCA
11-Jul-2007, 03:25 PM
just a tip if you're going to invest in a firesafe... if you own your home or aren't afraid of your landlord/property manager charging you for damage to the property... try to buy one that can be nailed in in a more permanent manner... right now because I rent mine's a portable fire safe which is kinda funny because if someone broke in it wouldn't be hard for them to grab it and take it home to open at their leisure... so its relatively safe from fire... but not from being stolen lol... maybe they should put a gps tracker in there or something... hmm...

darth los
11-Jul-2007, 04:40 PM
If i had a major amount of money i'd put it in a bank for protection. I'd be a fool to have 100,000 doallrs in my house. You could easily get robbed for it if word gets out that you have that type of money lying around. For a couple thousand bucks though i'd probably stash it.

acealive1
11-Jul-2007, 04:42 PM
oh i really hate banks. i've had a few overdrafts thats for sure. citizens bank in the pittsburgh area will let you overdraft it by hundreds of dollars if you want. its retarded. i would say a firesafe is a good idea, if i had any cash to stash haha. but no, i'm kinda poor. :) also i've never filed my taxes before, EVER. so im a rebel in that area too. maybe not the best idea but oh well.

im a member of citizens/charter one. those morons have no morals what so ever. how can a bank over draft u and its not ur fault and then get away with it? they tried that with me a few times.:mad:

darth los
11-Jul-2007, 05:23 PM
im a member of citizens/charter one. those morons have no morals what so ever. how can a bank over draft u and its not ur fault and then get away with it? they tried that with me a few times.:mad:

That's definitely a bad policy. They're basically lending you money and then charging you for it. They shouldn't be able to do that without hou're permission. The only thing that pisses me off more is when you have to take out certain dollar amounts at the atm. If you have $19.99 in your acount then you're just screwed.

acealive1
11-Jul-2007, 07:05 PM
That's definitely a bad policy. They're basically lending you money and then charging you for it. They shouldn't be able to do that without hou're permission. The only thing that pisses me off more is when you have to take out certain dollar amounts at the atm. If you have $19.99 in your acount then you're just screwed.

i hate that. every other bank lets u take out as little as $5. but not charter. its like "hey u got 19.99 in ur account,TS" or they charge u for a zero balance. who says they can tell u how much u can take out? like u gotta leave a damn dollar in. it aint negative,just zero. here goes one,i paisd a bill once. couldny go pay it cuz our bank got robbed and then the next day gerald ford died,so they go "we have to give you a $90 over draft fee" yeah......i gave them a piece of my mind

Cody
11-Jul-2007, 07:28 PM
swiss bank man.

darth los
11-Jul-2007, 11:04 PM
i hate that. every other bank lets u take out as little as $5. but not charter. its like "hey u got 19.99 in ur account,TS" or they charge u for a zero balance. who says they can tell u how much u can take out? like u gotta leave a damn dollar in. it aint negative,just zero. here goes one,i paisd a bill once. couldny go pay it cuz our bank got robbed and then the next day gerald ford died,so they go "we have to give you a $90 over draft fee" yeah......i gave them a piece of my mind

Which is why big business is the devil and if your hoping for change forget about it. The politicians are beholden to the corporations. That's why there's never any significant reform legislation regarding business practices such as these.

MaximusIncredulous
12-Jul-2007, 12:02 AM
Banks are crooks. If the amount of money is manageable, I keep it stashed as I'd rather deal with it on my end than let the suits play with it.

acealive1
12-Jul-2007, 01:16 AM
Which is why big business is the devil and if your hoping for change forget about it. The politicians are beholden to the corporations. That's why there's never any significant reform legislation regarding business practices such as these.

mm hmm.......and then they turn u down for loans.......very shady since they get money for you having an account there

darth los
12-Jul-2007, 01:20 AM
mm hmm.......and then they turn u down for loans.......very shady since they get money for you having an account there

They couldn't give 2 sh8ts about a person's situation. The bottom line is if they can't profit off of you you're not getting any money. Hey, that's business.

Tricky
12-Jul-2007, 05:33 PM
My wages are paid straight into my bank each month,so yeah i trust them.if i didnt have a bank account i wouldnt be able to pay bills by direct debit or get loans for things i cant be arsed trying to save up for.Plus i'd look like a paranoid weirdo withdrawing the whole lot every time i got paid & stashing it under my bed :lol:

darth los
12-Jul-2007, 07:20 PM
You also have to think about if god forbid something like a fire should happen to your home. There's no getting that money back and depending how much it was it could ruin you.

MissJacksonCA
12-Jul-2007, 07:38 PM
A fire in your home will financialls devestate you anyway. Take everything you have in your home... add up what it all costed you when it was brand spanking new. Now its several years old but in mint condition still. Next morning your house biurns down. Literally down to the ground like there's nothing left. The insurance company is going to pay to rebuild the home, ya... but your belongings and furnishings and car that burned up? Nope. You'll get half or less of what that's all worth. Not to mention your homeowners policy could be cancelled or raised. Its such bull**** when your home burns. How the hell do people commit arson and actually profit is what I wanna know.

darth los
12-Jul-2007, 08:59 PM
A fire in your home will financialls devestate you anyway. Take everything you have in your home... add up what it all costed you when it was brand spanking new. Now its several years old but in mint condition still. Next morning your house biurns down. Literally down to the ground like there's nothing left. The insurance company is going to pay to rebuild the home, ya... but your belongings and furnishings and car that burned up? Nope. You'll get half or less of what that's all worth. Not to mention your homeowners policy could be cancelled or raised. Its such bull**** when your home burns. How the hell do people commit arson and actually profit is what I wanna know.

But atleast you'll have money in the bank to help rebuild. Insurance never covers the full cost of what you lost anyway. Saying if i'm going to lose some i might as well lose it all doesn't make much sense imo.

Arcades057
15-Jul-2007, 06:13 AM
I used to stash about $500 in my house, just in case, and put everything else in the bank.

Now it all goes in the bank.

acealive1
15-Jul-2007, 06:26 AM
insurance covers all media. so if u get robbed of like 300 dvds or dvds they place them all. i should know.

MissJacksonCA
15-Jul-2007, 07:12 AM
I used to stash about $500 in my house, just in case, and put everything else in the bank.

Now it all goes in the bank.

out of curiosity why'd ya stop stashing and put everything into the bank?

Arcades057
15-Jul-2007, 05:12 PM
Found a good bank. I used to have my money in a bank where it seemed that every time I needed it out, it wouldn't be there. I went on a trip to NY and I needed the money. Went to the bank to withdraw $300 and it said there was nothing in the account. Tried the whole time I was in NY and it kept saying my account was empty.

The day I came home I tried again, just to see what would happen; I had around $5000 in the account, just like I had thought.

I like my current bank and my money has always been there when needed.