PDA

View Full Version : US folks - The 2000 election...

Neil
16-Jul-2007, 08:53 AM
With 20/20 hind-sight...

Danny
16-Jul-2007, 08:58 AM
i think if i was american i would vote for al gore since hes less about the war'in and more about taking care of the enviroment.

plus he was super serial about teaching us about manbearpig.

MinionZombie
16-Jul-2007, 10:55 AM
I'd be interested to see how things would be different under Gore, but don't believe every word he says about global warming. There may be business in pollution, but there's mega bucks in green movements now...it's a politicised movement being used solely for gaining votes rather than actually improving mankind's efficiency - which is really all that needs doing, and which is really the next step in our evolution anyway. We've had our industrial revolution, now we need to improve our tools to make them sustainable for the future, and it's just common sense to recycle because we don't have enough space for the rubbish anymore.

All this twittering on and closed-eye smuggishness that so many people display is just sickening, and clearly - judging by the piss poor ratings for Live Earth - people are sick of it too. Each person can only do so much, and more and more people are already doing it, I know we are here at home.

Ach, I'm getting all pissed off and it's getting my back all stiff...

EvilNed
16-Jul-2007, 03:37 PM
The one who got elected by the people should have won.

darth los
16-Jul-2007, 04:18 PM
I'd be interested to see how things would be different under Gore, but don't believe every word he says about global warming. There may be business in pollution, but there's mega bucks in green movements now...it's a politicised movement being used solely for gaining votes rather than actually improving mankind's efficiency - which is really all that needs doing, and which is really the next step in our evolution anyway. We've had our industrial revolution, now we need to improve our tools to make them sustainable for the future, and it's just common sense to recycle because we don't have enough space for the rubbish anymore.

All this twittering on and closed-eye smuggishness that so many people display is just sickening, and clearly - judging by the piss poor ratings for Live Earth - people are sick of it too. Each person can only do so much, and more and more people are already doing it, I know we are here at home.

Ach, I'm getting all pissed off and it's getting my back all stiff...

I think it's more a thing of people are happy with the way they're living right now. Bill maher had a good observation. He said that if we could reverse global warming by just giving up our remotes and going back to changing channel manually, people would say screw it, i need my remote. People talk a good game but have gotten too used to high tech living. If they had to go back to living the way they did even 15 years ago without cell phones and internet they wouldn't know what to do with themselves.

MissJacksonCA
16-Jul-2007, 10:05 PM
Shouldn't you have asked if we felt Gore was actually elected president and Bush screwed us all?

darth los
17-Jul-2007, 12:36 AM
I bet this poll is a good indicator of what party those who participated belong to.

MinionZombie
17-Jul-2007, 10:43 AM
I bet this poll is a good indicator of what party those who participated belong to.
Well, I'm neither Republican or Democrat ... I'm British. :lol::p

AcesandEights
17-Jul-2007, 11:21 AM

Pfft, people who identify too strongly with political affiliations in the US are part of the problem, IMHO. Left, right...it should be about the individual issues, but people get caught up in this detente that allows hucksters, powerful lobbies and special interests to basically swindle the country out from under us while we argue over what some talking heads say on tv.

coma
17-Jul-2007, 03:02 PM
Pfft, people who identify too strongly with political affiliations in the US are part of the problem, IMHO. Left, right...it should be about the individual issues, but people get caught up in this detente that allows hucksters, powerful lobbies and special interests to basically swindle the country out from under us while we argue over what some talking heads say on tv.
The problem with that is something like this.
Other than very local elections if I like, for example, senator canidate X from the Republican Party, he will vote with his party block and that is the same as voting for Bush. So Canidate X may be good on everything you like until it comes time for some other issues, than he's going with the pack and these days it means endless war. see what I mean?
And before some of you get your panties in a bunch I used GOP as a hypothetical.

axlish
17-Jul-2007, 04:29 PM
The one who got elected by the people should have won.

While I don't disagree with your logic, both candidates entered the race knowing full well how the system was designed.

EvilNed
17-Jul-2007, 04:39 PM
While I don't disagree with your logic, both candidates entered the race knowing full well how the system was designed.

Of course, I was only saying that it should have been a democratic vote.

darth los
17-Jul-2007, 05:38 PM
Of course, I was only saying that it should have been a democratic vote.

That's the biggest misconception about the united states. This is a republic not a democracy. We do have some democratic aspects to our society though.

MaximusIncredulous
17-Jul-2007, 05:41 PM
It's all illusory anyway. The choices, solutions. Once they get in, it's all about catering to the corpo-rich while tossing a few crumbs to everyone else to keep anger manageable and turn the lower classes against each other while the higher ups have a good laugh and live it up.

darth los
17-Jul-2007, 06:05 PM
Atleast there are some people paying atention.

DjfunkmasterG
17-Jul-2007, 08:35 PM

Yep... It is, and I am glad I am independent. :p However, as far as I am concerned Gore is the elected President, Bush is just some conservative Supreme court white house high jacking nut bag and I would never give him the time of day or respect as the president.

Jan 20th 2009 cannot come fast enough.

EvilNed
17-Jul-2007, 08:53 PM
That's the biggest misconception about the united states. This is a republic not a democracy. We do have some democratic aspects to our society though.

Exactly. The US is not a democracy, despite what some people like to believe. To me, the idea of the people NOT getting their voices heard just sucks.

But the only place where the people can get their voices heard is Switserland. :p

Neil
17-Jul-2007, 09:01 PM
Wonder what would happen if Gore ran again next time around!

darth los
17-Jul-2007, 11:22 PM

Form your lips to god's ears my friend. That man has polarized this country like it's rarely been in the history of this nation.

Exactly. The US is not a democracy, despite what some people like to believe. To me, the idea of the people NOT getting their voices heard just sucks.

And people wonder why the voter turnout is as low as it is in this country. The majority just don't feel like their vote counts and when their guy does get elected the do whatever they want when they get into office anyway. It's a no win situation for a citizen. We really ne a system where there's something like a no confidence vote.

Danny
17-Jul-2007, 11:29 PM
Well, I'm neither Republican or Democrat ... I'm British. :lol::p

quite so, whilst other countrys take time and campaigning to get elected us brits sit adn twiddle our handlebar moustaches, ride around on penny farthing sipping cups of earl grey and decideing on our leaders by how spiffing there hair is and what private school they whent to, wot-wot?:lol:

darth los
17-Jul-2007, 11:34 PM
quite so, whilst other countrys take time and campaigning to get elected us brits sit adn twiddle our handlebar moustaches, ride around on penny farthing sipping cups of earl grey and decideing on our leaders by how spiffing there hair is and what private school they whent to, wot-wot?:lol:

That's another thing. Politicians are all well to do. How can they possibly relate to the plight of the average person? They're all in it for their egos anyway.

Danny
17-Jul-2007, 11:58 PM
so youd rather have a guy in a vest and jeans with a beer gut throwing cans out the whitehouse window?

OMFG!, AL BUNDY FOR PRESIDENT!:lol:

darth los
18-Jul-2007, 02:11 AM
so youd rather have a guy in a vest and jeans with a beer gut throwing cans out the whitehouse window?

OMFG!, AL BUNDY FOR PRESIDENT!:lol:

No, i'd rather have someone who can relate to my problems, who has a personal stake it what happens to the average man. I don't think those elites in gov't lose a wink of sleep over us.

coma
18-Jul-2007, 03:26 AM
Yep... It is, and I am glad I am independent. :p
I was an independent until I was 30. I only picked a party because in NY you cant vote in a primary and thats a place where your vote counts.
Im glad they moved up the primaries for the next prez election because Im tired of tiny ass states like Iowa and New Hampshire making my decision for me. Thats just pure CRAP

However, as far as I am concerned Gore is the elected President, Bush is just some conservative Supreme court white house high jacking nut bag and I would never give him the time of day or respect as the president.

Word to big bird.

And Bush can tickle my bag with those big ass ears till the stuff comes out and coats him like a candy apple.

I can wait for 90 if Rudy is going to be prez. In that case, Whats the difference??? Mark My Words.

Danny
18-Jul-2007, 03:30 AM
And Bush can tickle my bag with those big ass ears till the stuff comes out and coats him like a candy apple.

..that is hands down the ost desigusting thing ive heard in a good while. i think that reading that post killed off inner child.:dead:

coma
18-Jul-2007, 03:36 AM
..that is hands down the ost desigusting thing ive heard in a good while. i think that reading that post killed off inner child.:dead:
Thank you. It came to be in a flash like "Remembrance of things past'. I'm like the Proust of a penis joke:moon:

darth los
18-Jul-2007, 04:12 AM
I was an independent until I was 30. I only picked a party because in NY you cant vote in a primary and thats a place where your vote counts.

I was under the impression that if you're a registered independent that you could vote in either primary but you have to pick one. You can't vote in both. I'll have to check that out.

Marie
18-Jul-2007, 01:16 PM

We had that already, Jimmy Carter's brother Billy.:D

M_

darth los
18-Jul-2007, 05:18 PM
We had that already, Jimmy Carter's brother Billy.:D

M_

Didn't that dude have his own brand of beer? Now that's dedication to your vice my friends.

acealive1
18-Jul-2007, 05:47 PM
they all looked at clintons presidency and went "hmm, he did nothing,so lets get a new guy" they fail to mention he was the person keeping the free world from coming unglued like it did with bush in office. ever heard the term "if it aint broke dont fix it" ?

darth los
18-Jul-2007, 06:34 PM
they all looked at clintons presidency and went "hmm, he did nothing,so lets get a new guy" they fail to mention he was the person keeping the free world from coming unglued like it did with bush in office. ever heard the term "if it aint broke dont fix it" ?

For all the talk about his predidency, both good and bad, i don't know anyone who doesn't remember clinton's administration fondly. I think we were much better off. And get this: You could actually find a decent job!! :eek: The only ones who didn't like those years are republican partisans who wouldn't want any democrat in office.