PDA

View Full Version : At what point should you be accountable for the company you keep?

MissJacksonCA
18-Jul-2007, 01:14 PM
http://news.aol.com/story/_a/man-faces-death-for-girls-gator-attack/20070718022309990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

Lately i've been reading some awful stories including two pregnant women turning up dead at least one of whom was dating a married man. Now this young girl dies a vicious death because her mother made time with a excon. My question is simply when will people be held accountable for the company they keep? When will women who befriend sex offenders be responsible when their children are sexually molested by them? How about women who make time with abusive men and whose children are later abused by those men? Or women who are pals with excons and lose their children?

I'm not saying all ex cons are created equal. An accquaintance of mine just got outta the pokey for firing a gun up in the air to prevent his car from being raped by a local gang who were looking to either steal it or take it apart. Nearly a year for a non violent crime. But then there's my friend who was in prison for a number of years for nearly beating someone to death. He came out every bit as violent as he went in and if I had kids I woulda never ever EVER become his friend. Granted I dont know him anymore but still... when are people responsible for the company they keep committing illegal acts upon their children? Dont parents have a responsibility to make sure their kids have a safe living enviroment? Most predators are the people you're friends with who prey on that... they're not the creepos who drive minivans... but when there's obvious creeps about why the hell do you take them into your home and give them access to your children? To you even?

Am I the only one who feels this way?

Danny
19-Jul-2007, 04:56 AM
your aquaintances are all individuals so you cant 'keep' a perfect group of aquiantances, one of my long time best freinds was riased to have a bit of a racist streak in him, and ive spent the last ten years making him tone that **** down, but he was raised that way, which is disgusting but he couldnt have helped being raised that way.
just because someones aquainted to you and seems odd doesnt mean they arent aqquainted to someone much worse, y'know its like a six degrees of seperation aout serial killers or something:dead:

MissJacksonCA
19-Jul-2007, 01:11 PM
yeah but these aren't friends of friends... these are women who personally make friends with ex cons or make a morally bad choice to sleep around with a married man... ever hear of the idea that you're asking for it... it being trouble

darth los
19-Jul-2007, 07:44 PM
yeah but these aren't friends of friends... these are women who personally make friends with ex cons or make a morally bad choice to sleep around with a married man... ever hear of the idea that you're asking for it... it being trouble

I don't think that it's so much that they're asking for it as much as it is putting themselves and their children in a position for something bad to happen and that is uncoscionable.

MissJacksonCA
19-Jul-2007, 08:28 PM
and for that why should the person who perpetrates a crime against them be the only one punished? You have a responsibility to your children to protect them from all potential hazards whether you make sure they're buckled up in the car or ensure that the company you keep isnt likely to hurt you or them.

darth los
19-Jul-2007, 09:09 PM
and for that why should the person who perpetrates a crime against them be the only one punished? You have a responsibility to your children to protect them from all potential hazards whether you make sure they're buckled up in the car or ensure that the company you keep isnt likely to hurt you or them.

For the same reason why you don't go to jail if your 15 year old murders someone.

MissJacksonCA
19-Jul-2007, 09:12 PM
that's a bit differen't your fifteen year old isn't an ex convict with a record ... however if your fifteen year old has been arrested before with crimes he should be placed in another home if his demeanor or crimes suggest he is a risk to your safety and to that of your children...

darth los
19-Jul-2007, 10:40 PM
that's a bit differen't your fifteen year old isn't an ex convict with a record ... however if your fifteen year old has been arrested before with crimes he should be placed in another home if his demeanor or crimes suggest he is a risk to your safety and to that of your children...

Well one doesn't need to be a felon to be a danger to you and your family. However, That should send up red flags. One shouldn't even take the chance with their kids like that.

RustyHicks
19-Jul-2007, 11:05 PM
True very true.
But maybe she didn't know this man's background
when she started to see him, maybe when she found out
that's why she got rid of him.
It's easy to lie to people, especially when
that person is lonely and looking for someone to be with.

Not blaming the mother, it sounds like she did try and get
rid of him. Hard to get rid of someone, when they don't want
to go and the police can't always protect you.
Hope he gets worse than he deserves.

darth los
20-Jul-2007, 12:06 AM
True very true.
But maybe she didn't know this man's background
when she started to see him, maybe when she found out
that's why she got rid of him.
It's easy to lie to people, especially when
that person is lonely and looking for someone to be with.

A person can defnitely infltrate someone's home under false pretenses. There's a difference though in watching their behavior once they're in. Most of these incidents aren't first time things. When a kid ends up dead it's usually the climax of an abusive pattern that had been escalating for a while. That's when the mother's non action turns into negligence and thus criminal.

MissJacksonCA
20-Jul-2007, 03:36 PM
Hey some women have low standards and dont care if someone went to jail for something. Or perhaps they were lied to about the crime or sympathized with why ever the person went to jail. But as you say Darth... the system would rather save money by leaving children in the unsafe home their biological family is in. Guess it kinda blows.

AcesandEights
20-Jul-2007, 05:59 PM
Hey some women have low standards

Thank the gods!

darth los
20-Jul-2007, 06:32 PM
Hey some women have low standards and dont care if someone went to jail for something. Or perhaps they were lied to about the crime or sympathized with why ever the person went to jail. But as you say Darth... the system would rather save money by leaving children in the unsafe home their biological family is in. Guess it kinda blows.

The one thing i got from going into prison was the ability to read people. I can talk to someone for 5 minutes and tell if they're full of it or not. Just because someone's been to prison doesn't mean that they're a bad person or can never change. I know that it happened for me. With the exception of rapists and child molestors of course. Those people ane irredeemable. My skin used to crawl just being next to them.

Thank the gods!

I second that. :thumbsup: :D

MissJacksonCA
20-Jul-2007, 07:07 PM
Thank the gods!

Or thank the effects of drugs and alcohol!

:elol: :elol: :elol:

Like I said Darth I've known several people who've been in prison and personally i've been arrested more than a few times and prolly will be again but the thing is... if I had a child of my own I would be keeping company with people who've never been arrested and be a psycho overly protective parent because I know the likelihood that my children could be assaulted by either someone I know or a complete stranger. Why women who actually have kids dont get that i'll never know. Maybe its because I've known an alarming number of females who've been accosted by predators or their friends... I dont know. But I just dont get it. Why even put yourself in that situation? How badly do you need that persons friendship?

The thing women dont get is that if you have children you easily become a target for men who are predators. They will do whatever they have to and say whatever they have to in order to get to your children. Why make it easy for them and pick ones that come outta jail for ANY crime they commit? We're not living in the 50s when people maintained what I imagine was a better sense of morals and values. Everyone is corruptable all people have an agenda and you should assume the worst about people if you bring them into your home because your children only get to live their childhood once if that... why put them in harms way?

flyboy
20-Jul-2007, 07:18 PM
http://news.aol.com/story/_a/man-faces-death-for-girls-gator-attack/20070718022309990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

Lately i've been reading some awful stories including two pregnant women turning up dead at least one of whom was dating a married man. Now this young girl dies a vicious death because her mother made time with a excon. My question is simply when will people be held accountable for the company they keep? When will women who befriend sex offenders be responsible when their children are sexually molested by them? How about women who make time with abusive men and whose children are later abused by those men? Or women who are pals with excons and lose their children?

I'm not saying all ex cons are created equal. An accquaintance of mine just got outta the pokey for firing a gun up in the air to prevent his car from being raped by a local gang who were looking to either steal it or take it apart. Nearly a year for a non violent crime. But then there's my friend who was in prison for a number of years for nearly beating someone to death. He came out every bit as violent as he went in and if I had kids I woulda never ever EVER become his friend. Granted I dont know him anymore but still... when are people responsible for the company they keep committing illegal acts upon their children? Dont parents have a responsibility to make sure their kids have a safe living enviroment? Most predators are the people you're friends with who prey on that... they're not the creepos who drive minivans... but when there's obvious creeps about why the hell do you take them into your home and give them access to your children? To you even?

Am I the only one who feels this way?

well, they tell me loves blind altho ive never been in love!:barf:

darth los
20-Jul-2007, 07:33 PM
Or thank the effects of drugs and alcohol!

I've never denied it. Alcohol is the great social lubricant.

well, they tell me loves blind altho ive never been in love!:barf:

So how do you know that you've never been?