PDA

View Full Version : Explosion in New York City.

Purge
19-Jul-2007, 12:58 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19837147/

Must've brought back some bad memories. :( :confused:

darth los
19-Jul-2007, 01:04 AM
Well, to be honest we live with the threat of terrorism on our minds everyday. I know i leave my house everyday knowing that something crazy could happen. That being said, it sort of desensetizes you to something having it on your mind all the time. Although i think you're right, The first thing we think of when something like that happens is terrorism and/or 9-11. That i don't think will change for a good long while.

MissJacksonCA
19-Jul-2007, 01:15 AM
bah... i almost never think terrorists are responsible for anything... i could be flying through malta and the plane could lose an engine and i wouldn't assume anything beyond the ordinary...

stuff happens... and anyone who thinks it could be terrorists have succumbed to the fear plan the government created

darth los
19-Jul-2007, 01:24 AM
bah... i almost never think terrorists are responsible for anything... i could be flying through malta and the plane could lose an engine and i wouldn't assume anything beyond the ordinary...

stuff happens... and anyone who thinks it could be terrorists have succumbed to the fear plan the government created

That's because you live in a area that has a snowballs chance in hell of being bombed. For the people who were here when it actually happened it was very tramatic. It's not so easy to rid yourself of those fears. Terrorism is a very real threat in our time. The thing is they have blown it up to the point where they want us to be scared every waking moment of our lives and that's far from reality. I don't know about everyone else but that ain't going to happen to me. I don't care if i live in ground zero or not. I'm not living my life being perpetually afraid.

MissJacksonCA
19-Jul-2007, 01:41 AM
Terrorism affected my life I lost people in the attacks on the WTC and one friend during an attack abroad ... just because I didn't live in the city where a major terrorist attack occurred more than twice doesn't make me less likely to be affected by anything that goes on. Look at small town Americans who actually think their local Wal Mart could be the sight of a terrorist attack. As with all things in life i'm capable of knowing odds... the odds it was a terrorist attack would be slim to none... and where's your faith that dubya is preventing terrorists from attacking us? With the cost of the war we should never feel the pain of terror attack from another coutry again...

now if I was in California... i'd be assume it might be eco terrorists depending on where it took place... but again... it would be a slim chance simply because hey eco terrorists dont kill people and actual terrorists try to kill a lot of people

on a personal level we should be concerning ourselves more with homegrown terrorists whether eco terrorists or average gang related criminal terrorists that are all around us and affect us regularly... i haven't seen crime go down since 9/11 i only see it rise with the continuous cutbacks of the police around the country...

what's next? a sinkhole erupts and we think it could be terrorists? we need more common sense...

darth los
19-Jul-2007, 01:56 AM
Terrorism affected my life I lost people in the attacks on the WTC and one friend during an attack abroad ... just because I didn't live in the city where a major terrorist attack occurred more than twice doesn't make me less likely to be affected by anything that goes on. Look at small town Americans who actually think their local Wal Mart could be the sight of a terrorist attack. As with all things in life i'm capable of knowing odds... the odds it was a terrorist attack would be slim to none... and where's your faith that dubya is preventing terrorists from attacking us? With the cost of the war we should never feel the pain of terror attack from another coutry again...

what's next? a sinkhole erupts and we think it could be terrorists? we need more common sense...

First off, it's not that people think a sinkhole was caused by terrorists. It's when you first hear the news of an explosion the first thing you think is that it might be terrorists. When the facts come to light i don't think a single person thought it was an al-qaeda plot.

Second, The treasure and lives we have wasted in iraq has done little if anything to make us safer. If anything it's had the exact opposite effect and made us less safe. Report after, report keeps coming out that al-qaeda is using iraq as it's main recruiting tool. So in effect we're creating more terrorists than we're killing. Second, it's a fact that since bush has put virtually all his available military resouces in iraq we have neglected the war in afghanistan. This has allowed bin laden to reconstitute al-qaeda and they are now at almost or equal to the operational capacity they were at on 9-11. How exactly does that make you feel safe?

Third, I'm sorry to hear that you lost people you cared about on 9-11 and you're right it did affect you as well. But you do not live here with the constant worry about terorism on you're mind. I hate to bring up this tired old phrase but you don't know what it's like. I get on the train thinking if there's a bomb on board,if they're going to anthrax us today, detonate a bomb and flood the subway tunnels that we're in. We were hit twice already and will in all likelyhood will again. The people in the midwest who think that they're going to bomb their walmarts, wheat silos and cornfields are nuts. They are in no imminent danger whatsoever. Ironically they tend to be the most rabid pro-war activists. Go figure. I guess it's easy to comment on something from a far when it doesn't actually affect you.

MissJacksonCA
19-Jul-2007, 02:06 AM
I never said our war in Iraq was a success or that it was making us safer. I made a sarcastic comment about how we should technically feel safer because our commander-in-chief decided to attack Iraq to rid the world of evil-doers. Ironically our killing off people in Iraq whether terrorists or not only breeds two more from their dead bodies. There's no such thing as a victorious war because when one side wins there will be revenge or bitterness after. That's all imo...

And forgive me for saying but if people in NYC live with the fear of terrorist attacks daily they need a wakeup call... anthrax isn't going to affect you... if anything it will affect the south because after all that's where the CDC is located... and they're not going to bomb the subways... they're going to hit where they'll make money and kill plenty so unless you live and work at Trump Tower or Charles Schwab fret not...

I get that you feel unsafe and fear terrorists... but imho its an unrealastic fear that has been fueled by the government who relies on the public being all things fearful in order to gain their support for the war on terror... you have a better likelihood of being attacked by a rabid squirrel

darth los
19-Jul-2007, 02:12 AM
I never said our war in Iraq was a success or that it was making us safer. I made a sarcastic comment about how we should technically feel safer because our commander-in-chief decided to attack Iraq to rid the world of evil-doers. Ironically our killing off people in Iraq whether terrorists or not only breeds two more from their dead bodies. There's no such thing as a victorious war because when one side wins there will be revenge or bitterness after. That's all imo...

And forgive me for saying but if people in NYC live with the fear of terrorist attacks daily they need a wakeup call... anthrax isn't going to affect you... if anything it will affect the south because after all that's where the CDC is located... and they're not going to bomb the subways... they're going to hit where they'll make money and kill plenty so unless you live and work at Trump Tower or Charles Schwab fret not...

I get that you feel unsafe and fear terrorists... but imho its an unrealastic fear that has been fueled by the government who relies on the public being all things fearful in order to gain their support for the war on terror... you have a better likelihood of being attacked by a rabid squirrel

I'm not saying that i live in constant fear but i know it's a posibility. The mayor said it himself. There's a better chance of being struck by a bolt of lightning.

And about being bitten by a rabid squirrell, i can survive that. Not so sure about anthrax though. And before you go talking about anthrax, we already had anthrax attacks shortly after 9-11 that still not have been solved till' this day. So you southerners do not have a monopoly on that.

All i can say is that you should go live in an area that's a high terrorist risk for a while and get back to me. Until then it's all just speculation on your part.

MissJacksonCA
19-Jul-2007, 02:17 AM
I'll live in NYC gladly... but I'm trying to escape crime ridden places... instead I'll fly through terrorist ridden territory maybe an el al airline or two and take my chances... I dont fear terrorists or their attacks... and I never assume them responsible for anything... the odds are better that lightning will come up from the ground to kill me after a rabid squirrel bites me and an anthrax envelope is delivered to me... right after i win the powerball lotto

and where d'ya think the anthrax came from dlo?

darth los
19-Jul-2007, 02:31 AM
I'll live in NYC gladly... but I'm trying to escape crime ridden places... instead I'll fly through terrorist ridden territory maybe an el al airline or two and take my chances... I dont fear terrorists or their attacks... and I never assume them responsible for anything... the odds are better that lightning will come up from the ground to kill me after a rabid squirrel bites me and an anthrax envelope is delivered to me... right after i win the powerball lotto

The CDC, duh. Either that or someone who has intricate knowledge on how to make such stuff. And how many people out there fit that bill? Not too many i'd gather.

DVW5150
19-Jul-2007, 03:37 AM
Not that I dont care that someone got hurt/killed.
Just , if theres a briefcase with Mr Homeys shorts in it left in a subway, the friggin tactical teams attack with thier weapons and robot bomb equipment.
But , Jihad is real.
Go figure.

Khardis
19-Jul-2007, 03:39 AM

Thats right, terrorism isn't real, its all a bumper sticker made up by BushMcHitler Co. Go back to ignoring everything folks, its all ok theres no threat, just pretend there is nothing, please put your heads back in the sand.

Actually, considering that Al Qaeda is expected to be striking the US or UK this summer and are getting back to full strength since they have been hiding out in Pakistan, you're much more likely to die from them than a rabid squirrel or lightning. Not as likely maybe as you are to die in a car crash or by being killed by a criminal, but its defiantly higher than something silly like that.

Especially if they get any access to Pakistans nukes.

Oh and the War in Iraq aka a battlefront in the War on Terror is making us safer. If the terrorists are busy dying there, instead of here. We are, by definition safer.

darth los
19-Jul-2007, 04:27 AM
Not that I dont care that someone got hurt/killed.
Just , if theres a briefcase with Mr Homeys shorts in it left in a subway, the friggin tactical teams attack with thier weapons and robot bomb equipment.
But , Jihad is real.
Go figure.

Between that and chertoff's gut feelings we're doing o.k. doncha think?:rolleyes:

Danny
19-Jul-2007, 04:49 AM
so what was it, gas explosion?, it couldnt have been terrorists or it would have gotten a much bigger news article over here instead of a 20 second long "explosion has occured in new york", did i see a torched plain being carried through the streets on a truck though?:rockbrow:

darth los
19-Jul-2007, 05:25 AM
They're saying it's a steampipe that exploded. here's the link.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19837147/

coma
19-Jul-2007, 04:40 PM
and they're not going to bomb the subways... they're going to hit where they'll make money and kill plenty so unless you live and work at Trump Tower or Charles Schwab fret not...

I get that you feel unsafe and fear terrorists... but imho its an unrealistic fear that has been fueled by the government who relies on the public being all things fearful in order to gain their support for the war on terror... you have a better likelihood of being attacked by a rabid squirrel
You are incorrect about the subways. Around 1998 there was an advanced plot to Bomb the Fulton station in Brkyn. That is a major hub most subways run through. Someone reported them , I beielve, and they got busted. They lived right across the street from my friend. So youre just wrong about that.

Someone I knew well for my whole life dies on 911. I had an appointment to go to the WTC, on the day the Truck bomb went off, for about a half hour after that event.. My GF went to school in Building seven, but was off that week of 911. Its not inconceivable to be affected.

Of you hear an explosion its the first thing your going to think of here. We know its a matter of time before it happens again. They are always trying to get us. Thats not gov propaganda, its true in our case. People in never to be affected places just want to get on the bandwagon and it seems like they ENJOY and embrace the fear, while we just try not to think about it.

Once again, if you spent a very long time smelling the burning bodies, you cant just "get over it". There is no odor like it. Burning PVC and Styrofoam mixed with rotten chicken at a rancid barbecue. Penetrating ozone while smoke rises to the sky for months. When it happens where you reside its not a "look at that terrible thing on TV", you are living it. On 911 We had no idea if it was going to continue all day pr week and what else was going to blow up. You dont just forget that. Bit we continue on. Yet all these dickwads act like they were somehow affected, but its crap excuse for jingoism and overreaction/

So they bomb Charles Schwab? Do you think a bomb only picks out people with dough? It kills everybody.

Y'know you can fight them THERE and HERE. Why is that not obvious?

MissJacksonCA
19-Jul-2007, 04:50 PM
Terrorists hit a financial 'mecca' we called the WTC... it put us out of business for a while and cost us ... hence it would make sense that they would also hit another financially crucial part of the U.S.

I suppose I wouldn't fear terrorists on subways because i'm a woman and would be more concerned about being raped or robbed... that's the world I live in... where I'll be attacked be people but not likely they'll be terrorists...

I dont know the smell of dead burning bodies... only dead bodies after spotting one as a kid... we're all affected by something but hey life goes on. NYers have turned into drama queens screaming terrorist at every explosion and problem in the city... they're becoming terrorists by terrifying themselves every single day...

darth los
19-Jul-2007, 06:51 PM
Glad to see all that good will towards new yorkers form 9-11 is still alive and well.

RustyHicks
19-Jul-2007, 10:26 PM
I think New York should be a little uneasy when it comes to bombing and
explosions, I know I would. Not saying live in fear, but you can't turn face and not be cautious and suspicious after what happened.
Like Coma said, we would never know what terror that New York went
through unless we were there, we can sit around and say we shouldn't be
scared or blame things on terrorist when bombings happen, we don't know
what New York went through those months and years after 9/11. I think
it's better to be cautious then to stick our heads in the sand.

darth los
19-Jul-2007, 10:38 PM
Terrorists hit a financial 'mecca' we called the WTC... it put us out of business for a while and cost us ... hence it would make sense that they would also hit another financially crucial part of the U.S.

I suppose I wouldn't fear terrorists on subways because i'm a woman and would be more concerned about being raped or robbed... that's the world I live in... where I'll be attacked be people but not likely they'll be terrorists...

I dont know the smell of dead burning bodies... only dead bodies after spotting one as a kid... we're all affected by something but hey life goes on. NYers have turned into drama queens screaming terrorist at every explosion and problem in the city... they're becoming terrorists by terrifying themselves every single day...

Like i said you have no idea what you're talking about so it really makes no sense to respond. Care to tell us a bit about nuclear physics as well? Since you like commenting on things that you have no practical experience with and all.

RustyHicks
19-Jul-2007, 10:58 PM
I'm sure witnessing the event in real life and seeing it on tv
are two very different things. Hell, I'm in Canada and I have to
say when I hear of bombings I get uneasy, we can't go around
turning our backs on the possibility that it may happen, we'll
all get blown to kingdom come if that ever happens.
Better to be caution than to have your head stuck in the
sand and get your ass blown off.
I don't think New Yorkers are being drama queens, they went through
a terrible thing, like a kid putting his hand on a stove, think the kid
will do that again, neither will New York or it's people ever be
that trusting, now they will be cautious.

darth los
20-Jul-2007, 12:07 AM
well put rusty. Unfortunately, Some people are just going to deny there's a significant terror threat until there's a mushroom cloud outside their windows.

coma
20-Jul-2007, 02:33 AM
we're all affected by something but hey life goes on. NYers have turned into drama queens screaming terrorist at every explosion and problem in the city... they're becoming terrorists by terrifying themselves every single day...
You're consistent insensitivity is extremely charming

Yeah, life goes in unless your dead.
And I seriously doubt you knew anybody except extremely tangentially that died there or else you wouldnt talk like that.
I think your full of crap and looking to join the death party.

O guess I should just forget about the man who was like my uncle who got crushed as he was trying to save people. .
I should foghet about My bud Tim who coughs his lungs up daily from Trying to dig up some of the thousand of dead bodies. He wasnt looking for dead bodies, but THATS ALL HE FOUND. And soon he will probably be dead too

You need to grow up and grow a heart and soul while your at it

You're ignorance is shocking. Why shocking? I dont know. I guess blatant callous insensitivity is so alien to me I never get used to it

Like i said you have no idea what you're talking about so it really makes no sense to respond. Care to tell us a bit about nuclear physics as well? Since you like commenting on things that you have no practical experience with and all.
Double ditto

People arent walking around terrified all day long. But if you hear an explosion , terror is the first thing you think of. I could explain it a million different ways but I suspect the commentary wouldnt change becasue its fixed.

darth los
20-Jul-2007, 03:03 AM
Two things that i always say on these boards ring true here coma:

1) You don't understand what people go through unless you go through it yourself.

2) People just don't care about something unless it affects them directly.

I said it before Either she's pulling our legs and trying to elicit a response from us or she's really that callous. It's sad.

Kaos
20-Jul-2007, 11:36 AM
Hmm, the closest brush with terrorism was the anthrax for me and the family. When we lived closer to DC anthrax was sent through our local post office. The target was the HHS whose office was about a half mile walk from our condo. Not really dramatic, but very close given the particular method used (which could and did contaminate other mail in post offices in and around DC.)

Other than that we had the DC Sniper incident which occurred after we moved to Baltimore. The snipers actually hit the neighborhood where I grew up as well as the area around my condo. We got out of Dodge in the nick of time.;)

darth los
20-Jul-2007, 05:11 PM
I remember that sniper thing. people were actually afraid to go outside. Not that i can blame them. That's the textbook definition of terrorism though.