PDA

View Full Version : NVIDIA Exec Says Gaming PCs Overpriced

darth los
19-Jul-2007, 09:02 PM
Roy Taylor, VP of content relations for NVIDIA, says that promoting high-end gaming PCs hurts customers and the industry.

In a move that shocked both the internet and the PC gaming world, Roy Taylor, VP of content relations for NVIDIA, posted an article on his blog pointing out that he feels computer manufacturers push their high-end machines as "gaming PCs" when computers that cost two-thirds less are just as capable at running DirectX-10. Recounting a discussion he had with an unnamed publisher, Taylor said he was told the company didn't want to write games for DirectX 10 because they were under the impression that in order for their customers to have a capable machine they would have to drop at least three grand.

Taylor's theory as to why PC gaming gets such a bad rap in terms of cost is that big OEMs and ISVs "think of PC gaming as a lucrative means of selling overpriced PC hardware better suited to winning magazine reviews than equipping end users with what they need to play the latest games." Such an opinion coming from a corporate executive of a dedicated video graphics card company may seem a bit strange, almost Jerry McGuire-esque. TheFeed applauds Mr. Taylor for speaking his mind, but he also failed to mention that DirectX 10 requires Vista AND a capable graphics card. So until Vista gains more popularity and a few fixes, it's hard to say where the fault lies.

Read Taylor's blog for yourself

http://blogs.nvidia.com/developers/2007/07/dx10-pc-price-p.html

DjfunkmasterG
20-Jul-2007, 12:48 AM
I spent $2000+ on my rig and it is only DX9 because of the vid card. However, what i am running is pretty much out of date by PC standards, and I really don't have the cash to be shelling out $2000 a year on a new PC. This will just have to last me this time around, plus I am not gaming with it as much as I am editing with it, and considering the major improvement in rendering time... I feel I will be set for a while.

darth los
20-Jul-2007, 01:02 AM
I spent $2000+ on my rig and it is only DX9 because of the vid card. However, what i am running is pretty much out of date by PC standards, and I really don't have the cash to be shelling out $2000 a year on a new PC. This will just have to last me this time around, plus I am not gaming with it as much as I am editing with it, and considering the major improvement in rendering time... I feel I will be set for a while.

Isn't a mac better equipped for things like that?

I'm a novice when it comes to pc gaming and editing but what i got from the article is that the genaral public is unaware that they don't need a top of the line computer for what they want to do. sure it's nice to have the latest model but it's hardly a requirement. You should be fine.

Eyebiter
20-Jul-2007, 07:01 AM
From what I'm reading there is no real reason to upgrade to Vista. Won't run on my old hardware and has tons of software incompatibilities right now. Wait at least a year or two to adopt until SP2 so most of the launch bugs have been resolved.

Danny
20-Jul-2007, 08:22 AM
aye same here im happy with windows xp for now and see now reason to upgrade other than areo looking pretty dern cool.

MissJacksonCA
20-Jul-2007, 04:04 PM
There's a ton of things that are overpriced but the genious of overpricing is how hot it is to have something overpriced. I read yesterday some woman slam Michael Jordan saying how dare you have shoes that are so obscenely priced that if your child doesn't go to school with them on he'll he a social lepper and that they need to make affordable versions of their shoes. I would suggest the same for games. I dont know crap about games but I tried buying my boyfriend a few just to say I love ya and holy hannah! The prices on those things! I coulda bought a trip to the bahamas or something. Not to mention the price of card games like 'Magic' ...several hundred dollards for A CARD? I can't imagine needing a PC that's as expensive as y'all say they are. I'd have to find a new hobby. I scoffed at having to pay 1500 for a laptop. 3000+ for a PC? Dayamn.

Just curious... anyone doubt the sincerity of this guy?

darth los
20-Jul-2007, 04:51 PM
There's a ton of things that are overpriced but the genious of overpricing is how hot it is to have something overpriced. I read yesterday some woman slam Michael Jordan saying how dare you have shoes that are so obscenely priced that if your child doesn't go to school with them on he'll he a social lepper and that they need to make affordable versions of their shoes. I would suggest the same for games. I dont know crap about games but I tried buying my boyfriend a few just to say I love ya and holy hannah! The prices on those things! I coulda bought a trip to the bahamas or something. Not to mention the price of card games like 'Magic' ...several hundred dollards for A CARD? I can't imagine needing a PC that's as expensive as y'all say they are. I'd have to find a new hobby. I scoffed at having to pay 1500 for a laptop. 3000+ for a PC? Dayamn.

Just curious... anyone doubt the sincerity of this guy?

I always say that everyone has an agenda, I highly doubt that he was trying to be a good person and just spreading the word. I wouldn't be suprised if he came out sponsoring a cheaper alternative to the higher end pc's. Stay tuned.

aye same here im happy with windows xp for now and see now reason to upgrade other than areo looking pretty dern cool.

The thing of it is they're phasing xp out so that all new pc's sold only come with vista. They're not even giving people the choice. They're basically forcing you to buy a buggy os.

MissJacksonCA
20-Jul-2007, 04:52 PM
As someone with Vista i'd just like to say it sucks

darth los
20-Jul-2007, 05:04 PM
As someone with Vista i'd just like to say it sucks

I haven't upgraded yet due to all the horror stories i've heard. Is it worse than M.E. in your opinion?

MissJacksonCA
20-Jul-2007, 05:07 PM
Well i'm a bad judge of stuff... but I've never worked with anything so awful... ever... in 6th grade I worked with more competent operating systems on Apple computers... I even tried to get the guy at Best Buy to tell me how to take Vista off my puter and put WINx onto it and he basically said not to waste my time or money... damnit :mad:

darth los
20-Jul-2007, 05:20 PM
Well i'm a bad judge of stuff... but I've never worked with anything so awful... ever... in 6th grade I worked with more competent operating systems on Apple computers... I even tried to get the guy at Best Buy to tell me how to take Vista off my puter and put WINx onto it and he basically said not to waste my time or money... damnit :mad:

Doncha just love when you ask a clerk something specific and they dodge your question. The man never actually answered your inquiry. He basically just said, forget about it lady you probably won't be able to do it so don't bother. His job is to answer your question and let you worry about the rest. I guess they like to feel important.

MissJacksonCA
20-Jul-2007, 05:23 PM
by basically I meant he went into an in depth explanation about why not to and if I wanted to how to do it and it scared me so much I decided not to lol

darth los
20-Jul-2007, 05:55 PM
There's a ton of things that are overpriced but the genious of overpricing is how hot it is to have something overpriced. I read yesterday some woman slam Michael Jordan saying how dare you have shoes that are so obscenely priced that if your child doesn't go to school with them on he'll he a social lepper and that they need to make affordable versions of their shoes.

On a side note that's totally true. schools have turned into a fashion show and it's unfair to both the kids and the parents. You should see these kids in the malls insisting on their parents buying them $100 shirts just to fit in. That's why i'm in favor of uniforms for kids across the board. I still haven't heard a compelling argument as to why it shouldn't be that way.

MissJacksonCA
20-Jul-2007, 07:00 PM
That doesn't bother me as much as how obscene it is to charge $200 dollars for shoes for children... I mean come on! They're kids. Its genious that they're capitalizing on peer pressure but I loathe their tactics and have no respect for sports players who are all about money. When you have no soul money is all you will ever have.

darth los
20-Jul-2007, 07:18 PM
That doesn't bother me as much as how obscene it is to charge $200 dollars for shoes for children... I mean come on! They're kids. Its genious that they're capitalizing on peer pressure but I loathe their tactics and have no respect for sports players who are all about money. When you have no soul money is all you will ever have.

I remember back in the day michael jordan said that he would never put out a sneaker that cost more than a hundred dollars. We see where that went. It's all about money. You throw enough of it at anybody and they'll sell out.