PDA

View Full Version : Are you ready for 3D cinema?

Neil
20-Jul-2007, 11:29 AM
With some big budget 3D films due out next year (eg Cameron's 'Avatar'), do you have access to a cinema (nearby) that can show such films?

Our local cinema was revamped earlier this year to have all six screen digital/3D ready :)

AcesandEights
20-Jul-2007, 02:41 PM
I'm really not ready. But, hey, I could surprise myself. With the tech advances in the pivotal entertainment sector, who knows what's possible? I'm still skeptical, however.

Neil
20-Jul-2007, 03:52 PM
I'm really not ready. But, hey, I could surprise myself. With the tech advances in the pivotal entertainment sector, who knows what's possible? I'm still skeptical, however.

I suspect 3D will really be a big thing! When done properly the immersion factor could be stunning! And who better to kick it off than Cameron!

Here's hoping he hasn't lost his touch!

MissJacksonCA
20-Jul-2007, 04:06 PM
Ready and waiting and unsure of whether my new local theaters will have 3D capability but I imagine they will simply because of the number of movies they film locally some theater outta have it.

darth los
20-Jul-2007, 05:14 PM
I suspect 3D will really be a big thing! When done properly the immersion factor could be stunning! And who better to kick it off than Cameron!

Here's hoping he hasn't lost his touch!

Theaters already in 3d. You have crying kids and rowdy teenagers in your face the whole time.

We have an i max in the city, which is an hour by train. Funny, when i think of 3d it takes me back to those cheesy 80's glasses that i really hated. I'd like to see where the technology has gone and what the experience is like now.

MinionZombie
20-Jul-2007, 05:53 PM
No idea whether my local can manage 3-D, but it's a chain cinema, so it'll get upgraded with the rest.

I'm totally up for next-gen 3-D, especially from Cameron. I hope he's still the obsessive kook he always was, I can see a bunch of old movies being re-released in 3-D, perhaps that'll put a stop to all this retarded remaking that's always going on. One can only hope.

I'd rather see a 3-D re-issue of something, than a crap remake.

Neil
20-Jul-2007, 07:49 PM
No idea whether my local can manage 3-D, but it's a chain cinema, so it'll get upgraded with the rest.

I'm totally up for next-gen 3-D, especially from Cameron. I hope he's still the obsessive kook he always was, I can see a bunch of old movies being re-released in 3-D, perhaps that'll put a stop to all this retarded remaking that's always going on. One can only hope.

I'd rather see a 3-D re-issue of something, than a crap remake.

I'll swear I heard Lucas was revamping the original into 3D... Prepare for more PC changes (all guns removed) and beautifully rendered 3D aliens tripping over for your comic delight!

darth los
20-Jul-2007, 08:04 PM
I'll swear I heard Lucas was revamping the original into 3D... Prepare for more PC changes (all guns removed) and beautifully rendered 3D aliens tripping over for your comic delight!

It wouldn't suprise me one bit. Has there ever been a creator of something that has re-released, repackaged and rebooted a franchise as much as that man has?

AcesandEights
20-Jul-2007, 08:18 PM
Does this mean it's going to cost $80 to go to the movies now? :confused:

MinionZombie
20-Jul-2007, 09:25 PM
:lol:

Spot on cinema satire there Neil. I guarantee there'll be a 3-D trilogy box set, no doubt...and yes, all those stupid changes will be flying around all over the shop. Filmmakers need to learn when to step back and control themselves, it's just how it is, have some control over yourself, Lucas!! :eek:

Neil
20-Jul-2007, 09:33 PM

That's very interesting! I wonder if the tickets will be more expensive for a 3d showing... They need to cover the glasses etc!

:lol:

Spot on cinema satire there Neil. I guarantee there'll be a 3-D trilogy box set, no doubt...and yes, all those stupid changes will be flying around all over the shop. Filmmakers need to learn when to step back and control themselves, it's just how it is, have some control over yourself, Lucas!! :eek:

Too late for Lucas... To think he's actually actively gone around destroying all the original prints of his films... Madness!

capncnut
20-Jul-2007, 10:53 PM
I suspect 3D will really be a big thing! When done properly the immersion factor could be stunning!

I saw Jaws 3 and Freddy's Dead at the cinema in 3D, they were both crap. I know the technology has vastly improved but I just can't see cinemagoers sitting in a theatre, looking like an absolute twat wearing a pair of glasses and saying "oooh" every 5 seconds.

It's okay for the odd treat but I wanna see a movie, not sit inside it.

Too late for Lucas... To think he's actually actively gone around destroying all the original prints of his films... Madness!
And the VHS copies. The bird at my local Blockbuster told me ages ago that due to their recent trade-in scheme (Blockbuster used to part exchange VHS tapes at the start), 20th Century Fox ordered the store to send all VHS copies of the original unremastered trilogy to them for destruction.

I wonder if they gave 'em a grand funeral pyre like Vader had in Return of the Jedi, while playing that slow theme from Star Wars in the background?

<sad Artoo bleep> :(

darth los
20-Jul-2007, 11:36 PM

You didn't really think that they would actually come put of pocket for the cost of more advance technology did you? Of course we're going to end up absorbing any costs incurred by them as a result of the 3d experience.

zombiegirl
21-Jul-2007, 01:38 AM
The closest 3D cinema is about two hours from me. It would have to be some major zombie infested 3D gore-o-rama to make me drive that far with ticket and gas prices. I'll wait for the DVD versions. :p

MikePizzoff
22-Jul-2007, 04:18 PM
I'm not; I really wish I were. I hardly ever go to the movie theatre, but if we had 3D movies you could bet your ass I'd be there all the time.

darth los
24-Jul-2007, 04:42 AM
I just found out that an i max near my house charges just under 20 bucks for a ticket to a 3d film. :stunned:

Philly_SWAT
24-Jul-2007, 08:10 PM
It wouldn't suprise me one bit. Has there ever been a creator of something that has re-released, repackaged and rebooted a franchise as much as that man has?
Yeah, no kidding. He seems to think of himself as a genius, and to his credit, he did come up with ONE good idea. But to continually redo it instead of coming up with something new, not so genius to me. Like Bill Gates. Richest man in the world because he "invented" Windows. He actually just upgraded the already existing DOS.

darth los
24-Jul-2007, 08:47 PM
Yeah, no kidding. He seems to think of himself as a genius, and to his credit, he did come up with ONE good idea. But to continually redo it instead of coming up with something new, not so genius to me. Like Bill Gates. Richest man in the world because he "invented" Windows. He actually just upgraded the already existing DOS.

Furthermore, if you have to keep reminding people that you're a genius it's probably not true anyway.