PDA

View Full Version : Franny oh Franny

RustyHicks
22-Jul-2007, 05:31 PM
Check this out:

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z235/1986ndg/gaylen01.jpg

She's still hot, even as a brunette.

Actually, I think she looks better as a brunette.

The director of the Dawn remake like her so much,
even named one of the stores in the mall after her.
"Gaylon Ross" clothing store :p

Griff
22-Jul-2007, 05:48 PM
That was taken a while ago, now (1998).

But yeah, nice photo.

capncnut
22-Jul-2007, 06:56 PM
That was taken a while ago, now (1998).
I was gonna say myself, that pic is a good ten years old.

This one from 2005 ain't too shabby.

http://www.lixonline.com/images/Horrorfind_2005/gaylen_ross.jpg

darth los
22-Jul-2007, 07:15 PM
Check this out:

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z235/1986ndg/gaylen01.jpg

She's still hot, even as a brunette.

Actually, I think she looks better as a brunette.

The director of the Dawn remake like her so much,
even named one of the stores in the mall after her.
"Gaylon Ross" clothing store :p

Whatever the color of her hair in the original dawn was it wasn't her natural color. I think she's a natural brunnet. I also think they named that store in the remake after her because she turned down a cameo in the flick but they wanted to give a nod to the fans.

RustyHicks
22-Jul-2007, 07:19 PM
Feed me that cookie Gaylon :elol::evil::p

Yeah kinda figured the pic I found was a little old.

Thanks for posting a newer on Capn, she's still
a sweetheart.

Yeah darth, I figured the director wanted to give
Gaylon a nod since she didn't do a cameo.
Then again, neither did David Emge:confused:

darth los
22-Jul-2007, 07:26 PM
I always felt that david gets shortchanged for his role in the film. He gets the least respect out of all of them. I think he played a very intrugal role and even though he wasn't as "manly" as the others i can't picture the film without him or even someone else playing his character.

Griff
22-Jul-2007, 10:41 PM
I always felt that david gets shortchanged for his role in the film. He gets the least respect out of all of them. I think he played a very intrugal role and even though he wasn't as "manly" as the others i can't picture the film without him or even someone else playing his character.

Absolutely. Out of the three male leads, the Stephen character is perhaps the most tragic. He has a future, uncertain though it may be. He has Fran. He has a child on the way. He has a means to take him to whever he choses to go. Its kinda devastating to see him lose all that in pursuit of the mall. Its testament to the quality of the role that we still feel a sense of loss when he bites the bullet, so soon after we've gone through the same thing with Roger. I think that, in a way, when we lose Stephen, we kinda lose hope.

darth los
22-Jul-2007, 10:44 PM
Absolutely. Out of the three male leads, the Stephen character is perhaps the most tragic. He has a future, uncertain though it may be. He has Fran. He has a child on the way. He has a means to take him to whever he choses to go. Its kinda devastating to see him lose all that in pursuit of the mall. Its testament to the quality of the role that we still feel a sense of loss when he bites the bullet, so soon after we've gone through the same thing with Roger. I think that, in a way, when we lose Stephen, we kinda lose hope.

I thought that it was poetice justice that peter was the one to destroy both roger and stephen. I don't think fran could have brought herself to kill stephen herself.

RustyHicks
22-Jul-2007, 10:49 PM
No, she probably wouldn't have been able to destroy Stephen.
It is a shame that David doesn't get the recognition for his charactor.
People just remember him as the idiot who started the whole war with
the raiders in the mall. His character was good though, must have been
hard for David to play this role, acting like a clumsy fool with a gun
when in real life David was a soldier in Vietnam and knew more about
weapons then any of the other cast members

darth los
22-Jul-2007, 10:55 PM
No, she probably wouldn't have been able to destroy Stephen.
It is a shame that David doesn't get the recognition for his charactor.
People just remember him as the idiot who started the whole war with
the raiders in the mall. His character was good though, must have been
hard for David to play this role, acting like a clumsy fool with a gun
when in real life David was a soldier in Vietnam and knew more about
weapons then any of the other cast members

Or he probably remembers how he or others acted when in bootcamp when they were unfamiliar and unsure about handling themselves and weapons.

To me his character was the most profound. He was like the everyman. How many of us are actually killing machines who would have it totally together in the event of a zombie plauge. I know we all would like to think that's the case but it's not very likely. I could relate to him precisely because of the flawed character he was portrayed as. It's the same reason why spider man is my favorite super hero. He has problems and insecurities just like the rest of us.

Philly_SWAT
23-Jul-2007, 03:07 PM

Well, David Emge did receive top billing.

darth los
23-Jul-2007, 05:02 PM
Well, David Emge did receive top billing.

I have a feeling that it was more due to the way their names were spelled. It was done alphabetically imo.

Philly_SWAT
23-Jul-2007, 05:10 PM
I have a feeling that it was more due to the way their names were spelled. It was done alphabetically imo.
More than likely. Although a lot of filmmakers, when trying to give all the cast equal billing, it the credits it says something like "Starring: Listed Alabetically". That was not done here. So you could argue that Flyboy was the "main" character.

darth los
23-Jul-2007, 05:15 PM
More than likely. Although a lot of filmmakers, when trying to give all the cast equal billing, it the credits it says something like "Starring: Listed Alabetically". That was not done here. So you could argue that Flyboy was the "main" character.

I'll bet that we could start a thread about this topic alone (not a bad idea actually). I would say that with all his dopey ways he was the most important in terms of their survival. However that could be said about roger as well, who after all was the reason they all met and banded together. They each brought a little something to the table that was useful in them getting as far as they did.

RustyHicks
23-Jul-2007, 08:57 PM
I'll bet that we could start a thread about this topic alone (not a bad idea actually). I would say that with all his dopey ways he was the most important in terms of their survival. However that could be said about roger as well, who after all was the reason they all met and banded together. They each brought a little something to the table that was useful in them getting as far as they did.

What good was Franny then? Just a pretty face for us to look at:p

I think the credits were listed in alaphetical order, that's the way I've always
thought of it. I don't think there is one main character or lead character, I think they were an essemble, like "Friends"

darth los
23-Jul-2007, 09:01 PM

I think the credits were listed in alaphetical order, that's the way I've always
thought of it. I don't think there is one main character or lead character, I think they were an essemble, like "Friends"

I think that there's a very good argument that a woman's presence is nescesary to keep a calming balance and presence when there are men grouped together. In any case she did come up with the car idea and got her and peter's asses the hell out of there at the end.

RustyHicks
23-Jul-2007, 09:03 PM
I think that there's a very good argument that a woman's presence is nescesary to keep a calming balance and presence when there are men grouped together. In any case she did come up with the car idea and got her and peter's asses the hell out of there at the end.

Yeah she did. And she showed us some boobs so that made my day:elol:

darth los
23-Jul-2007, 09:15 PM

Well, that was just icing. :D :thumbsup:

However, i do find it confusing if not a tad hypocritical on gaylen's part that she was so adamant about portraying a strong female character and not succumbing her role to traditional female movie stereotypes but she had no problem with frontal nudity no matter how "tastsefully" done it was.:confused:

CapnRhodes
23-Jul-2007, 09:30 PM

Usually in a big company movie, the cast is listed in order of when they sign their contracts, but in a small independant movie like Dawn, I dont know

Like my avatar?

darth los
23-Jul-2007, 10:46 PM
It could had had better image quality. But i'm not suprised at the subject matter.

CapnRhodes
23-Jul-2007, 11:04 PM
It could had had better image quality. But i'm not suprised at the subject matter.

dont you like it?

Philly_SWAT
23-Jul-2007, 11:31 PM
I'll bet that we could start a thread about this topic alone (not a bad idea actually).
I am pretty sure there has already been a similar thread. Although, nothing wrong with starting another, if you wish.

I think that there's a very good argument that a woman's presence is nescesary to keep a calming balance and presence when there are men grouped together. In any case she did come up with the car idea and got her and peter's asses the hell out of there at the end.She did come up with the car idea, and the idea to learn to fly the chopper. Also, she was against staying in the mall (where Flyboy and Roger ended up dying), and wanted to talk to the raiders, perhaps if they had, Flyboy might have lived. You could argue she was the smartest character of them all. If instead of Fran it had been MissJacksonCA in the mall, she would have killed all three of them once the hideout door was boarded up.

I only saw one boob, not both.

Well, that was just icing. :D :thumbsup:

However, i do find it confusing if not a tad hypocritical on gaylen's part that she was so adamant about portraying a strong female character and not succumbing her role to traditional female movie stereotypes but she had no problem with frontal nudity no matter how "tastsefully" done it was.:confused:
I dont agree that showing of boobs means not portraying a strong female character. Females have boobs. To show them has no bearing on whether they are strong or not, imo. I mean, she and Flyboy were alone in bed. Why would she cover up? That is a pet pieve of mine, in Tv and in movies, when the female character is careful to cover her boobs when no one else is there except the guy she just had sex with. Makes no sense at all.

It could had had better image quality. But i'm not suprised at the subject matter.LOL!!!:D

dont you like it?
Depends on your difinition of the word "like". Do I like to see some cleavage when a woman bends over? Yes. Do I like to see pictures of the same? Yep. That particular pic which is the avatar? Well, I have seen better in real life, and better in pictures, and as darth mentions, it is of poor quality. Is it Gaylon Ross? Is that why you brought it up? If so, then I guess it gets bonus points on this board, but a clearer shot would be preferably to me, even if it was just her face.

RustyHicks
23-Jul-2007, 11:37 PM
Fran did have good qualities about her, beside being good looking,
she came up with some good ideas like the car and she wasn't a
cry baby type of a woman either, which would have totally been
negative for the film.
The Avatar of the Captain, lol, he's gotta be clever although
I'm not too sure who that is

darth los
23-Jul-2007, 11:56 PM
I dont agree that showing of boobs means not portraying a strong female character. Females have boobs. To show them has no bearing on whether they are strong or not, imo. I mean, she and Flyboy were alone in bed. Why would she cover up? That is a pet pieve of mine, in Tv and in movies, when the female character is careful to cover her boobs when no one else is there except the guy she just had sex with. Makes no sense at all.
LOL!!!:D

Of cousre it doesn't mean that she's a strong character. if you speak to feminists they'll tell you that nudity in movies as well as other media serve to degrade women and only contributes to a mysogonistic culture. It makes no sense that she didn't want to play a typical squeamish woman in a film and then succumb to another equally if not more damaging scene which could only hurt the cause that women were fighting for at the time. it was a contradiction to what she was trying to portray in the former.

Philly_SWAT
24-Jul-2007, 12:27 AM
Of cousre it doesn't mean that she's a strong character. if you speak to feminists they'll tell you that nudity in movies as well as other media serve to degrade women and only contributes to a mysogonistic culture. It makes no sense that she didn't want to play a typical squeamish woman in a film and then succumb to another equally if not more damaging scene which could only hurt the cause that women were fighting for at the time. it was a contradiction to what she was trying to portray in the former.
I said that "I dont agree that showing of boobs means NOT portraying a strong female character". I dont agree with the feminist view that nudity in media serves to degrade women. Looking at a naked female body is no more degarding to them than looking at a great piece of art is degarding. If a woman is comfortable enough to show her body while still exhibiting strong characteristics, then I say she is in fact a strong woman.

CapnRhodes
24-Jul-2007, 12:28 AM

I got a better quality one now

mista_mo
24-Jul-2007, 01:26 AM
Those are some mean tats.

and you can barely see Frans mound at all, so it isn't really worth goign ga ga over...

man, such a beautiful women even at the age she is at.

darth los
24-Jul-2007, 01:38 AM
I said that "I dont agree that showing of boobs means NOT portraying a strong female character". I dont agree with the feminist view that nudity in media serves to degrade women. Looking at a naked female body is no more degarding to them than looking at a great piece of art is degarding. If a woman is comfortable enough to show her body while still exhibiting strong characteristics, then I say she is in fact a strong woman.

I'm of the mind that whatever a person is comfortable with, more power to them. I don't like groups like feminists trying to set the standard that everyone of their "kind" should follow. Everyone has an agenda they're just trying to promote theirs. It's a tad hypocritical as well because i'm sure that if enough money were thrown their way they'd jump at the chance to pose in the nude.

mista_mo
24-Jul-2007, 01:41 AM
yea but they don't shave or wash themselves, so who'd wanna see em naked? Cus you know, i'm sure everyone whould love to see a female version of Chewbacca.

darth los
24-Jul-2007, 01:50 AM
yea but they don't shave or wash themselves, so who'd wanna see em naked? Cus you know, i'm sure everyone whould love to see a female version of Chewbacca.

"bush" is the one retro fad that i'm thankfull has not returned. Brazillian all the way baby!! :thumbsup:

mista_mo
24-Jul-2007, 02:08 AM
I ment mustaches and armpits and legs btw Darth

always with da vaginitis with you.

darth los
24-Jul-2007, 02:25 AM
Anything less would be uncivilized. :elol:

mista_mo
24-Jul-2007, 02:29 AM
well, if dats the way you wanna look at it i suppose....you could also say that it is uncivilised to talk like that, as it is a throwback to the base human instinct and you obviusly cannot control it...primitive.

darth los
24-Jul-2007, 02:48 AM
well, if dats the way you wanna look at it i suppose....you could also say that it is uncivilised to talk like that, as it is a throwback to the base human instinct and you obviusly cannot control it...primitive.

It's o.k. mo, Throwbacks all got big Di*ks. :D

flyboy
24-Jul-2007, 04:31 PM
david emge a vietnam vet? good golly i didnt know that!! he wasnt really ''manly'' in dawn tho.

darth los
24-Jul-2007, 05:21 PM
Which ws a testament to his acting ability. He had be believing he couldn't handle himself at all and set himself up as a puchline forevermore.

coma
24-Jul-2007, 05:38 PM
david emge a vietnam vet? good golly i didnt know that!! he wasnt really ''manly'' in dawn tho.
That's why it's called "acting":p:D

RustyHicks
24-Jul-2007, 06:39 PM
Yeah, I was surprised that David was a vet too. I read this years ago in
a 1992 issue of Fangoria, it was an interesting article. Also mentioned GAR's other movies, one was Knighriders, which I went out and rented but couldn't really get into

darth los
24-Jul-2007, 07:10 PM
I can't really get into any of his films outside of the dead series. I have watched other films of his that starred people from the dead films out of curiosity though.

RustyHicks
24-Jul-2007, 07:22 PM
That was the main reason I rented Knightriders, cause I read
that Ken and Scott were in it. Although very briefly and beyond
that I can't remember much else about the film

Yojimbo
24-Jul-2007, 07:25 PM
Yojimbo likes Knightriders and Martin and Crazies. Better than Land or Bruiser, sorry to say though.

RustyHicks
24-Jul-2007, 07:41 PM
Haven't seen Martin, Bruiser or the Crazies yet,
but I bet Martin is better than Land.

darth los
24-Jul-2007, 08:20 PM
Haven't seen Martin, Bruiser or the Crazies yet,
but I bet Martin is better than Land.

lol. You could say the same about alot of films.

RustyHicks
24-Jul-2007, 08:58 PM
LOL I could darth.
Hey! Wait a minute, this thread was suppose to be about
Franny. How did we get here LOL
Seriously though, all the actors in Dawn did well,
they really brought their characters to life and made
you feel for them, brought you into their world for two
hours and took your breath away. I'd like to see GAR do
another movie like that.

darth los
24-Jul-2007, 09:01 PM
I don't think that he'll ever make anything to surpass dawn, as that would be an extraordinary feat but i think he has a chance to do something similar with this rebooting of the dead series.