PDA

View Full Version : What's GAR'S Motivation?

darth los
24-Jul-2007, 08:41 PM
I would say that GAR has taken the dead series as far as it can go in it's current form. (excluding diary). He's about to start from scratch. What do you think was his motivation for doing so? There's no doubt that land got mixed reviews from fans and critics alike. There was talk about a land sequel but i'm thinking that he saw the negative feedback he got from this evolved zombie thing and decided to start over. (hey it's his mythology so he can do what he wants). I seriously doubt that we're going to see a ghoul in the mold of big daddy if not ever then not for a good long while. Any thoughts?

Also, What twists and turns would you like to see the series take this time around? What would you like to see happen in diary? Surely, he's going to use different concepts and satire for subsequent films. I think it would be foolish to try and remake the films he has already done. Cgi could be his friend this time around. He could make that epic that he always wanted to do by showing millions of ghouls using the technology. I for one think it would be nice to have some closure for the character's fate. Like what the hell happened to fran and pete? I know some thin that it's best to leave it up to the individual fan but i didn't think there was anything wrong with the way the original script ended. I know it was bleek but atleast there was closure. If you think about it objectively, fran and peter weren't going to last long anyway. Any thoughts?

One last thing. Do you think that this new series is going to take place In the same dead universe as the first set of films but from a different vantage point or Is it going to be in a whole different universe and timeline. Which do you think would be beter? :confused:

RustyHicks
24-Jul-2007, 08:55 PM
I think the timeline will change, more modern times, maybe a little more gore,
although I would like the new series to have the same bleak, gritty feel that his first trilogy had. Night, Dawn and Day. (I really don't count Land in that bracket) Have the setting in a city maybe, will a small band of survivors trying to take back the world from the zombies. Show their struggles to survive, to set up a sort of place of their own and keep the zombies at bay. Land had too many characters for my taste, too many to get involved with, I didn't find myself caring for the characters in Land like I did in Dawn, Night and Day. Maybe put this new series a year or two after Day, show the new beginning of these band of survivors.
I always wanted to see what happened to Fran and Peter? I know their
too old now to take on their old roles, but what about something like Fran's son, struggling to maintain order in a new setting, struggling to get people to band together and make a place for themselves and keep the zombies away.

Just some thoughts.
Good thread darth

darth los
24-Jul-2007, 09:09 PM
I think the timeline will change, more modern times, maybe a little more gore,
although I would like the new series to have the same bleak, gritty feel that his first trilogy had. Night, Dawn and Day. (I really don't count Land in that bracket) Have the setting in a city maybe, will a small band of survivors trying to take back the world from the zombies. Show their struggles to survive, to set up a sort of place of their own and keep the zombies at bay. Land had too many characters for my taste, too many to get involved with, I didn't find myself caring for the characters in Land like I did in Dawn, Night and Day. Maybe put this new series a year or two after Day, show the new beginning of these band of survivors.
I always wanted to see what happened to Fran and Peter? I know their
too old now to take on their old roles, but what about something like Fran's son, struggling to maintain order in a new setting, struggling to get people to band together and make a place for themselves and keep the zombies away.

Just some thoughts.
Good thread darth

So i'm assuming that you would like to see it set in the same universe? I also have always wondered about what hapened to fran and peter. Their's was the fate that was left most up in the air out of all the films. It's funny because it's the only film in which gar really did that. In night we know what happened to everyone. In day we know that they made it to an island and seemed relatively safe. He says that he liked the characters and didn't want them to go out the way that he originally planned.

I would like to see more about the way the establishment is handling the situation and how it slowly crumbles. We got a glimpse of the gov't response in night and in day, in dawn all we got was some snow on the t.v. I'd like to see the chaos in all levels of gov't from police and military abandoning their posts to what the president is doing during all this.

RustyHicks
24-Jul-2007, 09:12 PM
Kinda like an Independence day with Zombies.
Not being funny, but done with those same ideas you
spoke of, the military and goverment crumbling, it would
be a great concept and how survivors pick up the pieces.

Philly_SWAT
25-Jul-2007, 01:29 AM
I think it will be in the same timeline and the same universe, although my defintion of what that means can be somewhat hard to understand. I consider his entire series set in "the now", whenever that may be. The fact that technology evolves does not mean it is a continuity error, and it does not mean that time has passed. GAR simply uses whatever time he is living in to set his movies.

I guess I wouldnt mind seeing what happened to Fran and Peter. If course, it would be somewhat rediculous that they would survive, but hey, thats movies. The story that I would make is this: the chopper starts to sputter, and by incredible luck Fran manages to set down near a highway. By coincidence, someone was on that highway in a car, and picks up Fran and Peter. They drive down to Florida. Their journey is dangerous, as they try to find gas along the way. Eventually they make it to Florida, where the story concludes.

darth los
25-Jul-2007, 01:36 AM
I think it will be in the same timeline and the same universe, although my defintion of what that means can be somewhat hard to understand. I consider his entire series set in "the now", whenever that may be. The fact that technology evolves does not mean it is a continuity error, and it does not mean that time has passed. GAR simply uses whatever time he is living in to set his movies.

I guess I wouldnt mind seeing what happened to Fran and Peter. If course, it would be somewhat rediculous that they would survive, but hey, thats movies. The story that I would make is this: the chopper starts to sputter, and by incredible luck Fran manages to set down near a highway. By coincidence, someone was on that highway in a car, and picks up Fran and Peter. They drive down to Florida. Their journey is dangerous, as they try to find gas along the way. Eventually they make it to Florida, where the story concludes.

I think that her first inclination would be to head north like she originally wanted to do. In any case they would have had to find an alternate means of transportation because they weren't getting very far in that chopper.

I would like it to be set in the same universe and timeline so that gar can use elements of the previous series, Such as the tv stations going out after about a month into it, as a nod to the fans. Maybe he could even depict the president mandating that special research teams be assembled throughout the country. Perhaps that could shed a little light as to how the people in day got there and why. You know, stuff like that.

sandrock74
26-Jul-2007, 03:37 AM
I would like for him to reveal characters fates, either by showing them or having them be mentioned. I think a lot of fans would be happy with something like that.

darth los
26-Jul-2007, 03:53 AM
I would like for him to reveal characters fates, either by showing them or having them be mentioned. I think a lot of fans would be happy with something like that.

I would as well. However he doesn't seem to give the things that we discuss ad nauseum on these boards much thought. I bet he never even gave to much thought to fran and peter's fate. If you asked him in person he'd probably be totally stumped. He'd probably tell us to get a life. lol

Yojimbo
01-Aug-2007, 11:27 PM
I would as well. However he doesn't seem to give the things that we discuss ad nauseum on these boards much thought. I bet he never even gave to much thought to fran and peter's fate. If you asked him in person he'd probably be totally stumped. He'd probably tell us to get a life. lol

In a world where my vision rarely aligns with reality, I truly hope against hope that GAR is more gracious with his fans than the notorious William "Priceline gave me lotsa stock" Shatner.:lol: