PDA

View Full Version : 'Blade Runner: The Final Cut' Edition

darth los
26-Jul-2007, 07:44 PM
Blade Runner is arguably the greatest, and most influential sci-fi movie of our time. The brooding, fatalistic vision of the future laid out by Philip K. Dick presented through the dark yet realistic vision of Ridley Scott became a motion picture event that changed everything we knew about cinematic portrayal of near-future science fiction. In case you haven't figured it out by now, TheFeed is a fan.

In celebration of the 25th anniversary of it's release, Blade Runner will recieve the royal treatment. On December 18th the film will be released in 2, 4, and 5 disc DVD sets, as well as HD-DVD and Bluray versions of the 5 disc set, containing a brand new three-and-a-half-hour documentary called Dangerous Days, 45 minutes of deleted and alternate scenes recovered from deep storage, featurettes about script development, conceptual design, trailers, tv spots, and a piece about how the film led to the development of the cyberpunk scene.

Scott stated that he has been working on this version of the film since 2000, and after almost 7 years of research and restoration, this is the definitive director's cut of Blade Runner. Period.

As wonderful as this news is, TheFeed is a bit apprehensive about which version to buy. Read why after the bump.

If there is a movie that deserves a high-definition transfer and release, it's Blade Runner. Nothing would make TheFeed happier than watching this movie with the cleanest picture, the deepest colors and contrast, and a true 5.1 surround sound mix. But as it stands the format wars are not close to ending anytime soon. So which format do we put our faith in? Which disc deserves to hold our childhood memories?

We've bought 7 different versions of the original Star Wars trilogy, including laser disc, and we'd prefer not to repeat that mistake. It's a given that at least one format of the 5 disc set will be stuffing TheFeed's stocking this christmas. The question is, which one will it be, Santa?

Leave us a comment and tell us which version you'll be buying this winter.

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/677948/Blade_Runner_The_Final_Cut_Edition.html#readmore

Terran
26-Jul-2007, 08:51 PM
Blade Runner is my all time favorite movie....

capncnut
26-Jul-2007, 11:54 PM
5 disc set? I can only assume thats the three versions and 2 extras discs. That. Is. Bought. :cool:

darth los
27-Jul-2007, 12:03 AM
5 disc set? I can only assume thats the three versions and 2 extras discs. That. Is. Bought. :cool:

Was there ever any doubt? lol :lol:

This is the way every boxed set should be. There should be a ton of stuff in there. It's too bad that all collector's editions aren't like this. The dawn ultimate edition is another one that got it right imo.

RustyHicks
27-Jul-2007, 01:27 AM
Looks good, I may have to get this one.
Another good box set IMO was the Alien Quardrilogy.

zombie04
27-Jul-2007, 01:28 AM
Leave it to Warner Bros. to make a proper special edition. That 5-disc set is mine:evil:

For further look at Warner Bros., this set also has me excited

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/stanley-kubrick-collection2.html

_liam_
27-Jul-2007, 01:40 AM
Blade Runner is my all time favorite movie....

ditto.

buying this.

will it have he deleted scene - "its a wipeout, Deck - theyre almost us!". that bit rules, the only place i saw it was on a kermode documentary about 5 or 6 years ago

darth los
27-Jul-2007, 02:44 AM
ditto.

buying this.

will it have he deleted scene - "its a wipeout, Deck - theyre almost us!". that bit rules, the only place i saw it was on a kermode documentary about 5 or 6 years ago

Well, i'm not sure but a disc set this profound and extensive should have everything or else why bother? don't quote me on that though.

capncnut
04-Dec-2007, 11:53 AM
Just got this yesterday. Two words... HOLY S**T!!!

Disc One:
Blade Runner - The Final Cut:
- Restored and remastered with added and extended scenes, added lines, new and cleaner special effects and all new 5.1 Dolby Digital Audio. Also includes:
- Commentary by Ridley Scott
- Commentary by Executive Producer/ Co-Screenwriter Hampton Fancher and Co-Screenwriter David Peoples; Producer Michael Deely and production executive Katherine Haber
- Commentaries by visual futurist Syd Mead; production designer Lawrence G. Paull, art director David L. Snyder and special photographic effects supervisors Douglas Trumbull, Richard Yuricich and David Dryer

Disc Two:
- Dangerous Days - Making Blade Runner: A three and a half hour authoritative documentary revealing all the elements that shaped this hugely influential cinema landmark. Cast, crew, critics and colleagues give a behind-the-scenes, in-depth look at the film from its literary roots and inception through casting, production, visuals and special effects to its controversial legacy and place in Hollywood history.

Disc Three:
- 1982 Theatrical Version
- 1982 International Version, which contains some extended action scenes in contrast to the Theatrical.
- 1992 Director's Cut, which omits Deckard's voiceover narration, removes the 'happy ending' and adds the now-famous 'unicorn' sequence.

Disc Four:
Enhancement Archive:
- Featurette The Electric Dreamer: Remembering Philip K. Dick
- Featurette Sacrificial Sheep: The Novel vs. The Film
- Philip K. Dick: The Blade Runner Interviews (Audio)
- Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep Cover Gallery (Images)
- The Art of Blade Runner (Image Galleries)
- Featurette Signs of the Times: Graphic Design
- Featurette Fashion Forward: Wardrobe and Styling
- Screen Tests: Rachel and Pris
- Featurette The Light That Burns: Remembering Jordan Cronenweth
- Unit Photography Gallery
- Deleted & Alternate Scenes
- 1982 Promotional Featurettes
- Trailers & TV Spots
- Featurette Promoting Dystopia: Rendering the Poster Art
- Marketing and Merchandise Gallery (Images)
- Featurette Deck-A-Rep: The True Nature of Rick Deckard
- Featurette Nexus Generation: Fans & Filmmakers

Disc 5:
Blade Runner - The Workprint:
- Remastered, containing alternate music and further extended scenes never before seen - considered the 'Holy Grail' among Blade Runner fans.
- Commentary by Paul M. Sammon, author of Future Noir: The Making of Blade Runner
- Featurette All Our Variant Futures: From Workprint to Final Cut

Extras:
- Tin box
- Unique 'glossy' film cell
- Art cards
- Letter from Ridley Scott
- 20 page booklet
So far I've only watched the first disc but I'm impressed with what I've seen so far. If anyone from the UK is thinking about getting this, go to Virgin as it is only £22. Everywhere else will set you back £30.

I'll let you know more when I've viewed all five discs, which'll probably be a very long time. :cool:

MinionZombie
04-Dec-2007, 12:55 PM
This will be on my "to do" list. I got the Director's Cut on VHS several years ago - a VHS in widescreen too, a rarity (I recently watched Die Hard 3 and the pan & scan is hideous).

Anyway, it's on my wish list, no diggity no doubt.

Legion2213
04-Dec-2007, 02:02 PM
Just got this yesterday. Two words... HOLY S**T!!!

So far I've only watched the first disc but I'm impressed with what I've seen so far. If anyone from the UK is thinking about getting this, go to Virgin as it is only £22. Everywhere else will set you back £30.

I'll let you know more when I've viewed all five discs, which'll probably be a very long time. :cool:

Mines on it's way from Amazon, should be here in a day or two. :D

Just pre-ordered the 3 disc 25th anniversary soundtrack from Play as well...

http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/3515011/Blade-Runner-Trilogy-25th-Anniversary-Edition/Product.html

bassman
04-Dec-2007, 02:27 PM
I know i'm probably going to get a lot of sh*t for this....but I don't get what everyone thinks is so great about Blade Runner. It's been several years since I've seen it, but I guess there's somthing i'm missing.

From my understanding, there are so many cuts of the film because it was a disaster when Ridley Scott finished it. Kind of like "Alexander" with Oliver Stone.

capncnut
04-Dec-2007, 03:59 PM
Okay, I've watched the first disc plus one commentary track and I'm utterly blown away. The minor tweaks made to Final Cut are very slim (and I'm sure it's been trimmed a bit in some places too) but if you got a big ole screen, it will still leave you breathless. The re-polished visual effects and soundtrack are awesome!

Upon listening to the commentary, I've learned that it's taken Ridley Scott seven years to find and remaster everything so that this box set is fully complete. Crumbs!

I got the Director's Cut on VHS several years ago - a VHS in widescreen too, a rarity.
I have the same one actually. Had no idea it was something of a rarity, I was gonna chuck it. Obviously I wont now.

From my understanding, there are so many cuts of the film because it was a disaster when Ridley Scott finished it. Kind of like "Alexander" with Oliver Stone.
Well not entirely. Although Ridley Scott did have an utter nightmare getting it finished, the various cuts all add different elements to the flick (SPOILERS): narrated version, non-narrated, happy ending, Deckard being a Replicant, etc.

But hey, each to their own. I get a lot of s**t from folks about my movie choices too. In fact, when I went to HMV to buy my Ghostbusters box set, the girl behind the counter gave me a sarcastic look and said to me, "Pfft, and just how old are you exactly?" :D

MinionZombie
04-Dec-2007, 05:39 PM
You shoulda lamped that girl behind the counter, don't diss the Busters! :D

Also, lol, I meant a VHS in general being in widescreen being a rarity, not that that copy of Bladerunner is rare.

Think about it, not many videos got put out in widescreen, which is what I meant by "rarity"...although it could still be a rare copy, but I've absolutely no idea, so it's no doubt not at all rare whatsoever.

acealive1
04-Dec-2007, 07:12 PM

work print

original

directors cut are all for sure. i think the other 2 are extras. it comes in a VK case whch is bad ass

Mike70
05-Dec-2007, 02:01 AM
all i can say is-i'm there. blade runner might not be my fav movie ever (sorry terran) but it is one of the most intelligent movies ever. if hollywood did more films like this the world would be a far, far better place.

capncnut
05-Dec-2007, 06:44 AM
work print
original
directors cut are all for sure. i think the other 2 are extras.
Yup, I own it now so er, yeah. You get as follows:

- 1982 Work Print
- 1982 Theatrical Version
- 1982 International Version
- 1992 Director's Cut
- 2007 Final Cut
Seriously Ace, check it out. This box set kicks some serious ass.

Just finished watching the second disc which is a 214 minute documentary called 'Dangerous Days - Making Blade Runner'. Seriously, for a 3 hour 35 min doc it's incredibly watchable. Doesn't remotely get boring for a second even if you're not a fan. The interview list is huge, even interviewing folks that went up for the roles and didn't get them. Extremely well put together and vast amounts of deleted scenes and behind-the-scenes footage keep the pace going swiftly. It only seemed like 90 minutes or something and is put together in the same way as the Alien documentary 'Alien Evolution'. In fact, when 'Dangerous Days' was over, I wanted to watch the movie again but alas, my bed was a-calling.

Now onto the fourth disc. I am skipping the third because I have seen the three main versions many times.

<looks at disk 4 contents>

Golly, this is getting to be hard work. :eek: