PDA

View Full Version : Does certain kinds of music make kids evil? Or violent?

MissJacksonCA
26-Jul-2007, 11:38 PM
I remember being in 8th grade and in my music class with Miss Bleiss who was the most naive woman ever. Every Friday was pick out music for the whole class to listen to day. One friday Greg brought in Marilyn Manson. It was adorable the way she let the student who wore all black and painted weird and possibly to some people vulgar symbols on himself who had dyed black hair pick music. She indulged him, and everyone else... she was an awesome teacher. So we sat there... in class... it was a hot day towards summer... and uh oh did he just say 'i'm so American I can sell you suicide?' ... she began to blush I tell ya... next on the playlist was the Beautiful People... I liked what I heard I dont know why... I thought it would be the end of bring your own music day... fortunately it wasn't...

Now fast foward to Columbine... and people blaming Marilyn Manson for what those two kids did and just generally labeling the kids who dressed like maybe Satanists do... and saying all kids who listened to that kinda music were prone to violence and evil behavior...

I have to wonder if thats true... is it? What do you think?

RustyHicks
26-Jul-2007, 11:48 PM
Maybe, with some of the rap that I hear.
Gosh, blows my mind.
I wouldn't bet on it totally though,
I think there are a lot of contributing
factors that could make a person evil.

They said the same thing when I was in high
school, if you listen to a song backwards, you
get a message to kill your parents...or kill
Elvis or something nutty like that

MissJacksonCA
26-Jul-2007, 11:53 PM
Whats interesting to note (IMO) is when I was watching a movie about the war in Iraq the marines who spent their days bombing iraq would listen to songs like 'let the bodies hit the floor' and 'the roof is on fire' and they'd slaughter innocent women and children... but the entire time they were talking about how the music pumps them up...

I think rap is disturbing but I find nothing wrong with Manson.

RustyHicks
26-Jul-2007, 11:58 PM
The soldiers are a different situation Miss. J,
not defending what they've done, but they go through
a hell of a lot of stress, and sometimes when you're in
that kind of war enviroment, your mind doesn't function
the right way.
I should know, I spent a couple of weeks in the Gulf War
and still get nightmares

MissJacksonCA
27-Jul-2007, 12:02 AM
so when you were in the gulf war you took men and threw a bag over their head while you made fun of them being so scared they pissed themselves and berated them and made home videos of how proud you were to have such power over someone else in their home country? i'm just curios...

RustyHicks
27-Jul-2007, 12:04 AM
No offense Miss. J,
but I'm not going to go into
issues like that. I have a bad coinscience
of things and I am not going to dredge up the past

MissJacksonCA
27-Jul-2007, 12:06 AM
well i'm just saying... I mean the guys who listened to that music were doing that to the men they interrogated and were astoundingly happy about what they were doing... it turned my stomach but it also makes me believe that maybe music does provoke a paticular behavior in some people...

RustyHicks
27-Jul-2007, 12:12 AM
You have to remember Miss.J, that the gulf war wasn't as bad as the
war that is going on right now. This war has gone on for what four or
five years now, the gulf war last a couple of months at the most. No there was no torture done on my part, there was no cruelty or any such thing.
But you may have some points, I can't say because I am not there right now nor do I have any desire to ever return.
Peace sister

MissJacksonCA
27-Jul-2007, 12:17 AM
With all due respect i'm not talking about the war... I used an example of a group of soldiers in the war in Iraq listening to music that they said makes them better prepared for what they're about to do... and what they did was morally bankrupt and outrageous. I understand its not easy to go to war but I'm trying to find a correlation between bad acts and music. It is one thing to go to war and do something you're told by a commanding officer. But to be a government agent and purposefully humiliate a foreigner in their home turf who may or may not be a bad person? Would it have happened without the music pumping them up? Did the music bring out the evil in them?

darth los
27-Jul-2007, 12:20 AM
Now fast foward to Columbine... and people blaming Marilyn Manson for what those two kids did

Everyone knows it was the Matrix's fault. :p

Maybe, with some of the rap that I hear.
Gosh, blows my mind.
I wouldn't bet on it totally though,
I think there are a lot of contributing
factors that could make a person evil.

They said the same thing when I was in high
school, if you listen to a song backwards, you
get a message to kill your parents...or kill
Elvis or something nutty like that

I find the lyrics in rap music deplorable. I always tell people, if they would want someone talking like that to their daughters, wives or mothers. I still haven't gotten a coherent response yet.

RustyHicks
27-Jul-2007, 12:21 AM
It might have, I dunno.
Solidiers in Nam use to smoke pot
before going on patrol, but I am not
saying that it did or it didn't.
I can see what you are getting at though

darth los
27-Jul-2007, 12:27 AM
People don't want to admit it but i feel that there is a definite correalation between violence in media. Not nescesarily because it makes you committ bad acts but because it desensitizes you to the point to where witnessing them and/or committing them seems like not such a big deal.

RustyHicks
27-Jul-2007, 12:30 AM
People don't want to admit it but i feel that there is a definite correalation between violence in media. Not nescesarily because it makes you committ bad acts but because it desensitizes you to the point to where witnessing them and/or committing them seems like not such a big deal.

Well said Buddy.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
btw I forgive Miss. J for being a little too harsh on me;)

darth los
27-Jul-2007, 12:33 AM
Well said Buddy.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
btw I forgive Miss. J for being a little too harsh on me;)

BWAHAHAHA!! So that's it huh? We have an honest to god real life example of the effects the media has on people. :lol::lol:

RustyHicks
27-Jul-2007, 12:37 AM
:eek:who me:eek:

Are you talking to me?

Are you talking to me?

Best Taxi driver impersonation I can do :elol:

coma
27-Jul-2007, 12:49 AM
No, I dont believe there is any connection between violence in music, except Air Supply used to make me feel incredibly hostile.

Columbine kids did that because they were deranged. Charlie Manson listened to the White Album and that was HIS excuse and nobody would say they cause violence.
Marilyn Manson is not even close to being thematically original except to many peoples ears because they heard of him because he is, in reality, a POP act.

And saying Hiphop is deplorable is like saying horror movies , or even movies in general, are deplorable because of I spit on your grave or cannibal holocaust. That is only one aspect of a genre or medium. I have watched and listened to the dregs of media regularly and I have never hurt anyone. I can undestand not liking a form of Music, and I can understand having only a lowest common denominator familiarity with it. But to say ALL of it is hostile to women is ridiculous. The generality is far from valid.

It's really easy to blame media and cultural influences of the artistic variety rather than the social reasons. Art may reflect and influence society but Marilyn Manson (who I dont even like ) is NOT Triumph of the Will.

What about in the Middle ages when even the gentry couldnt read and they boiled people in oil on the regular? Or sadistic Wars in Third World countries with barley ANY media?

You are Sadistic because you are a sadist. Thats it. I would think that the behavior of upper echelon authority is more influencial on abberential behavior than any f**king song.

Meatheads all over the US love Rage Against the Machine. Yet they voted for Bush. So there goes that theory. If it was so influential we would have had a Marxist revolution attempt.

It kills me when conservative go off on all this personal responsibility crap but try to blame a song when the person actually responsible for the criminal acts is..uh.. responsible. You can be inspired, or not. Ultimately its UP TO YOU.

:eek:who me:eek:

Are you talking to me?

Are you talking to me?

Best Taxi driver impersonation I can do :elol:
I dont see anyone else here so you must be talking to me..

Now THERES a movie that influenced violence.. to The Gipper

Marie
27-Jul-2007, 12:52 AM
Marilyn Manson is a wuss who tries to be scarey and impresses adolecents who also try to be scarey. The powerless trying to look powerful.

However there is SOMETHING making younger and younger people strangely lacking in simple human empathy. Some blame the lack of prayer in the schools, I can't speak to that as I was mostly home schooled, but most kids are, IMO basically good, IN SPITE of the media perhaps:D.

M_

RustyHicks
27-Jul-2007, 12:53 AM
so when you were in the gulf war you took men and threw a bag over their head while you made fun of them being so scared they pissed themselves and berated them and made home videos of how proud you were to have such power over someone else in their home country? i'm just curios...

Next time I think I'll wear a suit of armor when confronting
MissJ :eek:

Btw Coma, good post

darth los
27-Jul-2007, 01:05 AM
Actually , i like hip hop music, but that still doesn't make the content in it savory. I'm not a hypocrite and if calling females bitches and ho's is wrong then it's wrong whether i like the music or not. The lyrics make it cool to use that terminology, in turn it's used more and more by the youth, in turn they start to actually see women as actually being these mysogonistic terms that they calling them and treat them accordingly. It's only my opinion but i totally think it's relavent.

RustyHicks
27-Jul-2007, 01:11 AM
I can agree with you on that one darth.
Some of the lyrics in some of the songs,
I just do a double take.
I still can't believe some of the songs out there...
ugggh...what ever happen to the beatles

coma
27-Jul-2007, 01:14 AM
Im sorry to be the one to tell you, but they broke up

Some blame the lack of prayer in the schools,
You can pray in school. It just cant be MANDATED or ENDORSED. Besides lots of violent sickos pray and it doesnt deter then from starting bloodbaths. Religion, ideology, Culture are all just dressings. Its what you choose to do and your embraced level of empathy that determines your character. I have met many a total degenerate asshole who quoted the bible. It dont mean sh*t in determining conscience.

Btw Coma, good post
Thanks!:):):)

Marilyn Manson is a wuss who tries to be scarey and impresses adolecents who also try to be scarey. The powerless trying to look powerful.

Thats pretty much the definition and practice of Rock and Roll.

Actually , i like hip hop music, but that still doesn't make the content in it savory. I'm not a hypocrite and if calling females bitches and ho's is wrong then it's wrong whether i like the music or not. The lyrics make it cool to use that terminology, in turn it's used more and more by the youth, in turn they start to actually see women as actually being these mysogonistic terms that they calling them and treat them accordingly. It's only my opinion but i totally think it's relavent.
I know what you mean. I just was pointing out that much of it is ignorant and tacky. But not all of it, by a long shot.

And Too Short is the rudest, but man that dude is funny.

It may complement a misogynistic mind I just dont believe its the cause of it. If your that much of a sheep you're going to believe the first sh*tbag to come along who tries to get you to do something abhorrent.

_liam_
27-Jul-2007, 01:36 AM
:rolleyes: jesus not this again.

no, i dont think it does. having been immersed in the heavy metal subculture for about a decade and having never witnessed a murder or known someone who kills animals for fun or whatever within it, i'd have to conclude that if heavy metal can warp the mind, it doesnt do a very good job of it.

i hate to wheel out these age old counter arguments, but religion, patriotism, family honour, social pressure etc are what cause most of these spree killings, but those things are integral to most people's everyday lives so they are hesitant to point the finger.

if you tell people that the pressure to conform in america causes feelings of intense isolation, which in turn can cause unstable individuals to lash out, they may have trouble believing this guy is responsible for sending people over the edge

http://www.international.mq.edu.au/globe/admin/images/Edition%2040.06/US%20student%20Joe%20RZ.jpg

but tell them that this guy brainwashes kids into doing it

http://butterflydeath.blogs.sapo.pt/arquivo/Marilyn%20Manson%20(a%20preto%20e%20branco).jpg

and they have less trouble believing it. if you check out manson's music, he never sings about killing people or devil worship - but he looks the part.

and those kids didnt listen to manson, welcome to 1999. they listened to KMFDM and Rammstein.

although the guitarist from KMFDM is now in manson :lol:

MikePizzoff
27-Jul-2007, 03:51 AM
Not at all. Only in people that are already screwed up psychologically and would end up doing bad things no matter what; whether or not they listened to that type of music.

My friends and I have been listening to "evil" and "bad" music (metal/punk) for many years (myself - 22 years) and don't re-enact any of the lyrics the bands we grew up listening to sung about.

None of us are running around throwing 40's at cops and burning down churches while drinking the blood of priests from a chalice. Sure, we joke around about it, but it's not something we'd ever come close to doing.

I also listen to NWA and Ice-T... but I'm not dealing drugs, "pimpin bitches", and doing drive-by's.

People that blame the actions of others on the music they listen to are just so feeble minded. Anybody that blames their own actions on music just want an easy scape-goat that the feeble minded will buy into.

darth los
27-Jul-2007, 03:55 AM
Not at all. Only in people that are already screwed up psychologically and would end up doing bad things no matter what; whether or not they listened to that type of music.

I think that's a perfectly reasonable view and one i hadn't considered. If it's true it's kind of like when only certain people can be hypnotized, you have to have a propensity for it first.

DVW5150
27-Jul-2007, 04:29 AM
So if music makes people menatlly ill and makes them kill, wouldnt the same go for love songs?
There are millions of love songs, if music has such an impact, why isnt there more love in the world?

Miss J, you are in no position to judge the people who are fighting in that war.We all are, however , obligated to question our leaders.
Most of the members here know why I feel this way.
1989-94 10th MTN/160th SOAR Mogadishu Somalia...I was stationed at Rammstien Air Base in Germany during the Gulf War.
I am sorry if I have made you upset.
If you get pissed at me, well I can handle it.
I would rather speak my piece and make you upset , than remain silent for my Brothers.
Most know I think Iraq shouldve been left alone.

The backwards masking of lyrics is a tool to get money from people by Religious fanatic fund raisers.
If you really believe that music causes murder, please look up the congressional hearings of sept. 18th, 1985 ,HR 1299.
Frank Zappa is dead , but he made serious sense during his testimony.

MissJacksonCA
27-Jul-2007, 04:40 AM
Hey I didn't mean to be harsh on ya Rusty I never intend to offend or hurt peoples feelings... that would be wrong :( I apologise

DeadJonas190
27-Jul-2007, 04:44 AM
Music is not going to make somebody act out by itself. It is all how a person is raised. A sane person will not listen to Marilyn Manson and then decide to go kill somebody, the reason music is blamed for murders and peoples behavoir is because it is an easy scape goat for the media to push. Things that are disliked are always used as reasons for why people behave. The only thing that controls ones behavoir is that person, it is not the music, it is not the video games, it is not the movies they watch.

They may get ideas from what they see or listen to, but the things they watchy or listen to do not make somebody go out and shoot somebody. It's just easier to blame the media format than find and fix the actual problem, which is usually bad parenting combined with other factors such as the kid being bullied or uncontrolled bullying done by said kid. Instead of publicizing that the kid who went out and killed 3 people was being constantly picked on by the star jock at the school and snapped from the stress, they say "Oh, he played violent games, thats the reason he did it."

I remember there was a 17 year old kid who killed his grandparents in my town about 9 years ago. His father, when interviewed by the local paper, said that he got the idea to kill his granparents from Resident Evil because "Resident Evil is a game where you go around killing people with an axe." The article, after blaming a video game for the killings (and resident evil didn't have any axes in it as a weapon at that time) the article went on to say how the kid was in and out of mental hospitals his entire life for violent behavoir.

Now correct me if I am wrong here, but if your kid has been in and out of mental hospitals his entire life for violent behavoir you don't give him things that may influence him. The kid was mental to begin with, he killed his grandparents because he had problems to begin with, not because of a video game.

Basically, somebody who does something messed does not do it beacuse of one single factor, its a mixutre of things that cause them to do such acts.

MikePizzoff
27-Jul-2007, 04:54 AM
The backwards masking of lyrics is a tool to get money from people by Religious fanatic fund raisers.
If you really believe that music causes murder, please look up the congressional hearings of sept. 18th, 1985 ,HR 1299.
Frank Zappa is dead , but he made serious sense during his testimony.

Amen, brother.

MissJacksonCA
27-Jul-2007, 05:01 AM
Well when you get into videogame influenes I immediately think up Dungeons and Dragons and the college kids who couldn't seperate fantasy from reality before going off and killing the one kids parents... while its unknown if that was merely their defense or an actuality who knows really... for non believers I think it could be something similar to sleepwalking crimes... for believers no proof is enough...

darth los
27-Jul-2007, 05:24 AM
while its unknown if that was merely their defense or an actuality who knows really... for non believers I think it could be something similar to sleepwalking crimes... for believers no proof is enough...

I think that you're spot on with that one. The fact is that we really don't know if it does or if it doesn't . With all that crap the gov't spends money on you'd figure that they could set aside a few million (which will fund less than an hour of the iraq war) and put it into reasearching what the hell is happening in society.

Khardis
27-Jul-2007, 10:20 AM

Gee I wonder what kind of music the Muslims listen to right before they chop off an infidels head. Oh right that doesn't matter, only what our troops did to humiliate someone.

DVW5150
27-Jul-2007, 01:47 PM
Gee I wonder what kind of music the Muslims listen to right before they chop off an infidels head. Oh right that doesn't matter, only what our troops did to humiliate someone.

Khardis , swell shooting !
Insurgents chant before beheading, Allah Akbhar.Glory to GOD, thier god.
Its creepy.And very horrid to hear I am sure before the lights go out for the victim.
Its sad really...

bassman
27-Jul-2007, 01:57 PM
"Hostile apostle, look who you're following
negative energy that you're swallowing
some coked out malcontent
who's soul is up for rent
victim of lost soul, hostile apostle

Angry human leads impressionable boy
to skulls and piercings and will to destroy
all of your heroes speak nothing to me
you don't have to be a prick just to be heavy"

- 311 ( Hostile Apostle )

MissJacksonCA
27-Jul-2007, 11:56 PM
If they wanted to find out what was wrong with society in order to rectify theft, murders, assaults, etc. and they were willing to spend the money to do so... it wouldn't be cost effective (IMO) for them to do so... and here's why... (I think)...

Some speculate that the lack of parental influence leaves children behind.

Lets face it... when your parents are too stressed from working or are too busy working they're not doing their most important job... parenting. You know there's a severe lack of family together time when you begin to see commercials saying its important to get together to talk over the dinner table and its equally important to schedule at least one night a week for non-televised together time. Unfortunately for most families that's not an easy task especially with the growing number of single parents and divorced families.

Additionally stresses at work or within the home often lead to dependency issues whether alcohol, drugs (prescription or illegal), or a combination of the two. That takes a toll on the children no matter what age they are.

And speaking of stresses... money is a big one. It creates a severe conflict even in well-to-do homes. And in todays times money is even harder to come by than when we were kids. Minimum wage hasn't risen but the cost of gas, homes, groceries, clothes, entertainment... everything else has. It leaves people struggling trying to make ends meet and creates a bad situation for many Americans.

In order to actually 'solve' the problem we'd have to (IMO) raise mimimum wage across the board to a living wage of say... $8.00 an hour (which in some states still doesn't cut it) and actually set a min. wage hike to meet the rising cost of goods within our own country. We would also have to solve the unemployment and underemployment issue by refusing to outsource so many jobs and giving benefits to companies that bring back their jobs to give to Americans. While that wouldn't really help all the way it would then be necessary for the government to set aside money to train undereducated people to work better jobs. If it means giving Mary next door who's been outta work since the 90s and who can't work a typewriter a MS office skills course to land a desk job then come on... train her to take the job. We also should promote family together time within major businesses in our country. Perhaps the government could give them tax breaks for giving their employees more vacation time or for sponsoring company picnics and the like. People need to see that when you're not there for your children they can falter and go under the influence of bad people/kids etc. Last but not least we need government sponsored alcohol and drug treatment programs. Not everyone can afford Promises rehab in Malibu (not that it's ever actually worked for any of the people who've gone there). That would surely cut back on alcohol realted car accidents and deaths.

It all starts in the home... whether its in our country... or in our homes... we have to recognise that people in our country are living a sub par life and our government only further encourages it by not solving the problem.

Khardis
28-Jul-2007, 04:53 AM
best answer? Yes and no...

Most music imitates life. I knew people drinking Gray Goose and Red Bull long before it was a song for example. Then the song hit, and everyone was suddenly doing it.

The music imitates life, then you got people to imitate the music.

Maitreya
28-Jul-2007, 10:03 PM

Yoko Ono

RustyHicks
28-Jul-2007, 10:51 PM
And yep, Yoko Ono
destroyed the Beatles.

But as for music having an influence on murder,or influence
solidiers to behave in a certain way, I don't think so.
To some degree, maybe, if the person is unstable and
screwed in the mind to begin with.
I think influence of music is just a lame excuse people
will use to get off on a lighter jail sentence or
get put away in a mental facility.
in the 60's and 70's they use to say the Beatles
influenced people to take drugs.
In the 50's they said Elvis Presley influenced
the young to be more daring and churches
were against rock and roll.

It all depends on the person
and how their mind works.

flyboy
31-Jul-2007, 07:59 PM
I remember being in 8th grade and in my music class with Miss Bleiss who was the most naive woman ever. Every Friday was pick out music for the whole class to listen to day. One friday Greg brought in Marilyn Manson. It was adorable the way she let the student who wore all black and painted weird and possibly to some people vulgar symbols on himself who had dyed black hair pick music. She indulged him, and everyone else... she was an awesome teacher. So we sat there... in class... it was a hot day towards summer... and uh oh did he just say 'i'm so American I can sell you suicide?' ... she began to blush I tell ya... next on the playlist was the Beautiful People... I liked what I heard I dont know why... I thought it would be the end of bring your own music day... fortunately it wasn't...

Now fast foward to Columbine... and people blaming Marilyn Manson for what those two kids did and just generally labeling the kids who dressed like maybe Satanists do... and saying all kids who listened to that kinda music were prone to violence and evil behavior...

I have to wonder if thats true... is it? What do you think?

personally i think the columbine incident was sparked because of those 2 getting bullied,i PERSONALLY dont think it was the music.altho heavy metal can send kids into madness almost to the limit of killing people.it makes em depressed,and angry and they think this is how the world is.(angry,nasty,depressing)heavy metal has conotations of the devil,ie-they think its ok to be evil, to joe public.thats why they dress up in black makeup and black clothes either to be noticed and say **** you, or remain anonymos. i suppose its like slipping into a seperate skin.

Danny
31-Jul-2007, 08:33 PM
i dont think rap gives kids bad ideas, or metal music, but 50 cent did say that a videogame in which he raided an office tower with a rocket launcher was "loosely based on his life".

personally i blame bad parenting, too little exercise and too many uneeded perscriptions of drugs.

personally i think the columbine incident was sparked because of those 2 getting bullied,i PERSONALLY dont think it was the music.altho heavy metal can send kids into madness almost to the limit of killing people.it makes em depressed,and angry and they think this is how the world is.(angry,nasty,depressing)heavy metal has conotations of the devil,ie-they think its ok to be evil, to joe public.thats why they dress up in black makeup and black clothes either to be noticed and say **** you, or remain anonymos. i suppose its like slipping into a seperate skin.

BWA-HAHAHAHAHA-*gasps*-HAHAHAHAHA!

you voted for thatcher didnt you?:shifty::lol:

flyboy
31-Jul-2007, 08:40 PM
i dont think rap gives kids bad ideas, or metal music, but 50 cent did say that a videogame in which he raided an office tower with a rocket launcher was "loosely based on his life".

personally i blame bad parenting, too little exercise and too many uneeded perscriptions of drugs.

BWA-HAHAHAHAHA-*gasps*-HAHAHAHAHA!

you voted for thatcher didnt you?:shifty::lol:

YOU'VE LOST ME PAL...??

coma
31-Jul-2007, 09:03 PM
altho heavy metal can send kids into madness almost to the limit of killing people.it makes em depressed,and angry and they think this is how the world is.(angry,nasty,depressing)heavy metal has conotations of the devil,ie-they think its ok to be evil, to joe public.thats why they dress up in black makeup and black clothes either to be noticed and say **** you, or remain anonymos. i suppose its like slipping into a seperate skin.
Tipper Gore?!?!?!?!?
I would say Metal reflects the real world more than say Beyonce. What is that devil sh*t? Have you ever even listened to metal? I never wore any Black Makeup. GAWD!!!!! Metal gets the poison OUT of my system otherwise I might run around kicking every dickhead I meet strait in the nads

You know what drives me to madness? Ridiculous, baseless generalizations
Ronald Reagan in the hizzy! PMRC blast from the past.

Danny
31-Jul-2007, 09:06 PM
damn ****ing straight coma.;)

DVW5150
01-Aug-2007, 03:24 AM
Then listen to instrumental music.
There is a great deal of music without lyrics that is actually quite good.
Statistically, children that are able to apprieciate music that evokes feeling without words, understand cognitively better than children that rely on lyrics to understand. I love a great deal of music, some of it happens to have or not have lyrics.
The study was done at the University of Wisconsin in 2000, dont remember the doctors names otherwise I'd post a link.

Alot of children today cant read a wall clock, but can read a digital clock.

mista_mo
01-Aug-2007, 05:40 AM
If a person is of the mind set to act out what a musician describes in a song, then you have bigger things to worry about then what they listen to.

acealive1
01-Aug-2007, 08:43 AM
if soemone actually thinks music makes kids evil or violent,you're living in the 60's when everyone believed charles manson's rants about how the beatles were the four horsement of the apocalypse. or how bout now. "oh god oh god,kiss is the anti christ!!!":lol: its the same as people in the dark ages burning people at the stake for not knowing about them. people fear what they dont know.

_liam_
01-Aug-2007, 01:29 PM
So if music makes people menatlly ill and makes them kill, wouldnt the same go for love songs?
There are millions of love songs, if music has such an impact, why isnt there more love in the world?

WISDOM

altho heavy metal can send kids into madness almost to the limit of killing people.it makes em depressed,and angry and they think this is how the world is.(angry,nasty,depressing)heavy metal has conotations of the devil,ie-they think its ok to be evil, to joe public.thats why they dress up in black makeup and black clothes either to be noticed and say **** you, or remain anonymos. i suppose its like slipping into a seperate skin.

heh...erm...i think you have metal kids confused with blackface minstrels http://www.besmark.com/minstrel.jpg

seriously though. i think there's a lot of bollocks talked about heavy metal. it's just music. dynamically & conceptually speaking it's just brahms and wagner played on electric instruments with loud percussion.

you know why there are like, ten violin players in an orchestra? VOLUME. in other words the marshall amplifier hadnt been invented when the piece was written.

metallers dont wear makeup either. seriously. you would get the piss taken out of you so bad if you went to a morbid angel or slayer gig wearing makeup.

goths, emos and the nuttier black metal & KISS fans wear makeup, and even then not all of them.

the metal subculture is one of the friendliest and most accepting there is, there is very much an attitude that we are all one big family.

at a heavy metal festival you can just go and sit down at anyone's camp and strike up a conversation based on the band on their t shirt or whatever. ditto at a gig, if youre waiting at the bar you can have a quick chat about how crap the last metallica album was with the guy to the left.

if you did that at a "normal" nightclub or festival, theyd tell you to piss off or look at you funny.

i've seen two fights at metal gigs/festivals in my 10 years of being into metal, but how many drunken fights do i see in the streets on the weekend, outside "normal" pubs and clubs? tons. to the point where it's a national issue

and yet these are the people listening to dance music and r&b, not slayer or cannibal corpse.

HMMMMM

maybzz da muzik aint guilty brahhhhs ;)

Danny
01-Aug-2007, 02:31 PM
heh...erm...i think you have metal kids confused with blackface minstrels http://www.besmark.com/minstrel.jpg

HELLO DAAAAAVE!:lol:

seriously though. i think there's a lot of bollocks talked about heavy metal. it's just music. dynamically & conceptually speaking it's just brahms and wagner played on electric instruments with loud percussion.

you know why there are like, ten violin players in an orchestra? VOLUME. in other words the marshall amplifier hadnt been invented when the piece was written.

metallers dont wear makeup either. seriously. you would get the piss taken out of you so bad if you went to a morbid angel or slayer gig wearing makeup.

goths, emos and the nuttier black metal & KISS fans wear makeup, and even then not all of them.

the metal subculture is one of the friendliest and most accepting there is, there is very much an attitude that we are all one big family.

at a heavy metal festival you can just go and sit down at anyone's camp and strike up a conversation based on the band on their t shirt or whatever. ditto at a gig, if youre waiting at the bar you can have a quick chat about how crap the last metallica album was with the guy to the left.

if you did that at a "normal" nightclub or festival, theyd tell you to piss off or look at you funny.

i've seen two fights at metal gigs/festivals in my 10 years of being into metal, but how many drunken fights do i see in the streets on the weekend, outside "normal" pubs and clubs? tons. to the point where it's a national issue

and yet these are the people listening to dance music and r&b, not slayer or cannibal corpse.

HMMMMM

maybzz da muzik aint guilty brahhhhs ;)

I agree completely on the whole metal badns seem to be cool guys and gals, a freind of mine was at download this year adn the fat guy from bowling for soup walked up to there tent, sat down adn took a beer adn said "sup, whats happenin'"
OOOOH, SATANISM IS HAPPENING,....APPARENTLY:eek:

from my experience dance fans and ravers are way more drunk and waaay more violent, events like columbine and them were becuase the kids were more likely than not loners that were bullied, its a shame we all know but kids can be very cruel sometimes.

Then theres the personal perspective, slayer HIM dragonforce, opeth, hell even slipknot adn marylin manson to a point are my preffered music of choice, and i aint a depressed goth or a psycho nutjob, in fact im damn up-beat for he type of company i keep.
Plus ive said on here im pretty damn anti gun, so shock horror, guess metal music is making me want to kill.:rolleyes:

-Oh and lets not forget the onstage guitar hero 2 at download, if that doesnt show a good atmosphere i dont know what does, but i recon pop acts which convince young girls todress like slags does more damage to the youth of today.

coma
01-Aug-2007, 02:38 PM
the metal subculture is one of the friendliest and most accepting there is, there is very much an attitude that we are all one big family.;)
Hear Hear!

Its the only developed scene where noone cares about your haircut or race or anything. Uf your friendly and dig the MEtal then your in. You can be a stockbroker or a HipHop kid with a kangol, a skinhead or a 50 year old Dad. No one cares.
Punk which is supposed to be so accepting, isnt like that at all. I used to have a lot of problems in the 80s at Hardcore shows but almost never at metal shows. "Alternative" shows in the very late 80s and eraly 90s were the same as metal shows now but that went away when it became mainstream and shows got filled with Jock turds and trendoids. Metal shows now are more lke a cilt thing afte the commerciality diminished.

Usually the more abrasive the metal the friendlier the crowd. Its like a hippie gathering with out all the bullsh!t ideology. And the drum circles. And the Soy grilled cheese sandwhiches. and the......:p

MontagMOI
01-Aug-2007, 02:39 PM
HELLO DAAAAAVE!:lol:

LOL!!!

Danny
02-Aug-2007, 01:51 PM

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/khazrak/nem_729_600x194.gif