PDA

View Full Version : Getting into some new shows...

MinionZombie
27-Jul-2007, 07:07 PM
Okay so last night I checked out "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip" (started showing last night on More4 here in the UK), and thought it was quite good, definitely more high brow than other shows...I look forward to seeing how it pans out.

Also saw the pilot for "Reaper", which I was a bit hesitant about for some reason prior to watching it, I duno, I never really paid much attention to it (didn't feel compelled enough) when I was reading what Kevin Smith had to say about it (he directed the pilot)...but I was pleased to see that it is actually pretty darn good, and funny too.

I didn't really know anything about it, so it was all quite fresh to see, but definitely very funny - the slacker best mate being my favourite character hands down ... and the lead's lady friend (of sorts) is well fit too. ;)

Finally, I also checked out "Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles" ... I'm about 60/40 in favour of this show right now, there are moments of iffyness, but over all it's not too bad - definitely better than T3, so that's something. :)

Anyway, looks like MZ's got plenty of shows to commit to soon! :p

darth los
27-Jul-2007, 08:50 PM
Don't get to attached to "studio". I read somewhere that it's either cancelled already or will be so iminently. I'm not into the show so i have no idea. Here's a link but it's old.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,226092,00.html

MinionZombie
28-Jul-2007, 10:40 AM
Aye I heard it was/is being cancelled a while back, but I figured I'd check it out. First episode was alright, will keep checking it out for a bit yet.

Danny
28-Jul-2007, 02:04 PM
i aint really into owt new except for dexter, which is bitchin', though i finally talked my freind into watching heroes since it started on bbc2 and he agrees that it kicks ass.

though i jsut realised that the woman who plays jessica is the girl who farts adn sets off the alarms in jay and silent bob strike back:D

MinionZombie
28-Jul-2007, 05:06 PM
Yep, that's Ali Larter (also in Final Destination 1 and 2)...I would...though not if she was pulling that fart-face like in Jay & Bob.

I was considering watching Heroes, but I've got so many shows I'm already committed to, so I figured fudge it, maybe one for a box set later on.

kidgloves
28-Jul-2007, 07:45 PM
Ok i know this is a new shows thread but I'll give some recommendations even though i've got into these shows way after they originally ran so bear with me if this is old news.

Deadwood - superb but im struggling with season 3. Too slow.
Studio 60 - Great, solid show but lost interest about episodes 16 - 17. Acting and writing is ace though.
Nip/Tuck - I love this and discovered it waaaaaay after everybody else.
Weeds - ok. Lots of stoner in-jokes.
Friday Night Lights - superb drama and i know nothing about Gridiron (i refuse to call it football) but im gagging for season 2.

Not much help considering the original question but quality tv anyway.
Should i bother with Sarah Connor chronicles? I took one look at the terminator and couldn't go any further. Sorry:(

Maitreya
28-Jul-2007, 09:26 PM
I was considering watching Heroes, but I've got so many shows I'm already committed to, so I figured fudge it, maybe one for a box set later on.

Don't do yourself the displeasure of not watching it. I'm not much of a TV guy, but Heroes (along with Dexter) is one of the only shows to catch my attention and keep me watching.

Geophyrd
31-Jul-2007, 12:33 PM
Studio 60 was a brilliant misfire. I'm a big Aaron Sorkin fan (I even know someone that knows him and has worked with him on Sports Night, WW and Studio 60 who has called him a brilliant misfire himself) but when it was clear that the show was cancelled, they worked it out to have the rest of the season and bring proper closure to the show. Its very much worth watching to the end, if for no other reason than to realize that there isn't a single straight guy that still wouldn't have jumped Amanda Peet even unconscious.

My favorite shows that are on as of the moment:

Rescue Me - Hands down the best show on television as of this moment. One of the funniest shows ever. The funny doesn't happen with big sight gags. Its in the clever, hilarious dialogue that happens to these poor people. For example, in the first show of the season, Franco is trying to have a conversation with his girlfriend's retarded brother who starts going on about another retarded girl in his clinic. The brother talks about how he knows that she's going to be in a wheelchair for the rest of her life but she still has the best ass...funny.

John From Cincinatti - Really don't understand everything happening but its very much a fun ride. It amazing that Rebecca De Mornay plays a grandmother and still manages to be the hot girl on a show which has several hot chicks. Anyone else think Kai is sexy enough to turn Nymphos to Lesbos?

Dr. Who - I know you Brits have already seen it but I haven't and I'm totally digging on it this season. I liked Billie Piper, I really like Martha. Just found out that Torchwood will be broadcast in US in Sept. Psyched for it!

Just over

The Riches - Great show. Never been an Eddie Izzard fan (or for that matter, Minnie Driver) but the show is terrific and they are the most charming scumbags ever. What's funny is that on the show, the kids (who steal anything not tied down) come close to stealing the show.

Dirt - This show is much better than it looks from its ads. Its about a paparazzi mag more akin to the Enquirer than to People magazine. Courtney Cox is a tour de force (who spends much of the show using a vibrator) and the supporting cast is just as strong. When the season ended, I was sorry to see it go. But its been renewed (along with The Riches)

Up'N Coming

Nip/Tuck - Hoping it can jump back over the shark it left in its wake two seasons ago with that horrible, ridiculous Carver plot. Now they've sent the show to LA, here's hoping the reboot works.

Weeds

The Wire - The best show on TV in years (Rescue Me is the best show on right now, this is the best show of the last 10 years). I don't care who points to Sopranos as being brilliant. That only means they weren't watching The Wire (ok, admittedly I'm the only one I know that watches The Wire but it is unbelievably brilliant). If you decide to start watching, do it right. Get Season 1 on DVD and watch them in order. This show demands close attention and the payoff is rich.

The Unit

The L Word

The Shield