PDA

View Full Version : The 80's where's the beef

RustyHicks
30-Jul-2007, 04:41 PM
Thinking about this recently.

Toys: Slinky, Operation, Pay Day, Mastermind, Transformers, GI Joe

Movies: Back to the future, Day of the dead, Breakfast Club, Ferris's Day off, Night of the creeps, Return of the living dead, Elvira Mistress of the dark

Music Corey Hart, A-Ha, Wham, Boy George, The Police, Tears for fears, Maddona, Cyndy Lopper, Tina Turner

Tv Shows: The A Team, Dukes of Hazzard, Miami Vice, Magnum PI, Cheers, Night Court, Family Ties, V

Video Games Pac Man, Space invaders, Donkey Kong, Rally Racers and
Nintendo

The 80's a time for punk rockers, MTV and weird styles.
Did you grow up in the eighties.
Did you like it?
Wish it never happened?
Miss it?
Talk about it here, what you did, what you liked, what you hated, what you miss and what you remember.
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z235/1986ndg/dukes2_front.jpg
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z235/1986ndg/22190.jpg

MaximusIncredulous
30-Jul-2007, 06:23 PM
Some of those toys, e.g., Slinky, Operation, go back further than the 80s. I remember them quite fondly from the 70s even though they're older than that. I think the thing I hated most about the 80s was the loss of late-night horror TV. It wound up being replaced with those damned infomercials (real-estate scams, crappy kitchen wonder devices, etc.) that persist to this day (thanks FCC :(). Can't say I miss the 80s as much as the 70s though.

I remember a lot of brouhaha over The Cosby Show and what a bland piece of crap it really was. WWF on Saturdays and the Wrestlemania events. I watched I-IV then lost interest for some reason. Top Gun, sheesh. I still get queasy over the 80s when I think about that one.

flyboy
30-Jul-2007, 07:21 PM
good old casio digital watches,and bmx bikes.

Philly_SWAT
30-Jul-2007, 07:40 PM
One thing that I liked about the 80's, in particular to movies, I think that most movies that were being made were being made for the sake of making a good movie, not thinking abuot money making ideas such as merchandising, sequels, etc. Dont get me wrong, there were sequels and merchandising back in the 80's, but I think they were more afterthoughts than primary objectives beforehand. I think that nowadays those considerations are ni the minds of most film-makers, even in the planning process. It is art being compromised for the sake of money.

darth los
30-Jul-2007, 08:35 PM
I was a boy in the 80's so alot of the memories i have are good ones. Howver, when i actually go back and see the stuff i was watching/playing today they really are awful. There is something to say for nostalgia. Some things should just stay in the past though.

kortick
30-Jul-2007, 09:03 PM
the 80s for me were a time of doing things
that to be honest were not good

no need for details

the 80s were a too much, too fast time

if you werent there you dont know what it was like

I met a lot of great people though...

coma
31-Jul-2007, 12:16 AM
the 80s for me were a time of doing things
that to be honest were not good

no need for details

the 80s were a too much, too fast time

if you werent there you dont know what it was like

I met a lot of great people though...
Im right there with you on that. The 80s, for me, sucked. 1990 was a great year for me. Left that flourestant, Hair band, gold chain era in the past.

There were good movies like John Hughes stuff and all the monster movies, but TV was almost total ass, a VCR was 800 dollars and crack was king. Culture Club, Mt T, the takeover of Top 40 corporate radio. It may seem cute and funny now but to be 16 in 1984, culturally at least, really sucked.

Things like Midnight Grindhouse Movies and Black Flag were like an Oasis in a desert of sh*t.

When Nirvana came out all the hair bands dissapeared, literally, overnight.
though Aids wasnt something you had to worry about and a nickel bag had 5 doobers in it and it actually cost 5 bucks.

80s nostalgia is best left to people who were either very, very young or weren't born at all. It was cheesy as hell. We used to long for the 70s then because, in comparison, it seemed like paradise. And at least they didnt have Ol' Ronnie Reagan.

Tied2thetracks
31-Jul-2007, 12:26 AM
Yu are forgetting He-Man, Alf, Dead Pit, Jason and Freddy, Monster Squad, Goonies,M.A.S.K., Atari, Colleco vision,cable TV,MC Hammer, Poison,Wierd Al, Twisted Sister, and Power Wheels.

darth los
31-Jul-2007, 03:08 AM
Also:

-Max Headroom
-Voltron
-Gremlins
-Reaganomics :barf:

triste realtà
31-Jul-2007, 05:17 AM
I miss my Huffy Pro-Thunder bike. I had the blue and yellow one, I think it was No. 2. No 4 was badass though with those plastic yellow rims. Look for it in Creepshow when the Tom and Marty come to pick up the garbage.

Also watching classics like the Exorcist, Reanimator, Hell Night, Nightmare on Elm Street in the dead of night for the first time and being that young was cool. They had such bad contrast the makeup effects looked so real and gruesome. I think I only got 5 hours sleep everynight cause school started at 8am.

Kaos
31-Jul-2007, 02:02 PM
The hardcore punk scene in DC was thriving in the 80's. I was 16 in 1984 and had a blast going to shows, meeting the bands, etc... It was a bit of an oasis from the Ocean Pacific lifestyle that most people gravitated to.

suicide22
31-Jul-2007, 02:41 PM
The 80's movie soundtracks that made it to number one -- it's sounds good!

RustyHicks
31-Jul-2007, 05:59 PM
You're right Max, some of those toys I mentioned did
come out in the 70's, just played with them alot in the 80's.
I didn't reach my teens until the late 80's, but they were good
times for me, not all roses and wine, but there were fun times
and hell, it was the decade I got introduced to Dawn of the Dead.
Yes, I agree things are to be left in the past, just sometimes
it's good to remember the good times. When things seemed
a little less complicated.
BMX bikes had one, it was great.

Rottedfreak
31-Jul-2007, 06:20 PM
'Oooeeeer knickers in the air stick a deck chair up your nose
buy a jumbo jet and bury all your clothes....'

Wacaday! Wacaday! Wacaday!

Knightmare!

Dungeons and Dragons.

Ilusyes 31.

The Naked gun from the files of Police Squad! (in color)

Danny
31-Jul-2007, 08:31 PM
wishing trolls, boglins, metaloaf (the singer), the real ghostbusters toys hat had nothing to do with the cartoon, fish boards, perms, the beverly hills cop theme.

well i was 2 when the 80's ended so i aint gonna remember chernobyl or anything.

Though i was raised around bikers so even as early as 4 years old i new songs like i wold do anything for love off by heart.

and ,unfortunatly, bon jovi and tina turner songs ,yeaaaah, my mom was a fan.
with bad taste.

capncnut
01-Aug-2007, 07:35 AM
The hardcore punk scene in DC was thriving in the 80's. I was 16 in 1984 and had a blast going to shows, meeting the bands, etc... It was a bit of an oasis from the Ocean Pacific lifestyle that most people gravitated to.
Punk was the only thing that got me through the 80's, full stop.