View Full Version : What up brotha!

DEAD BEAT
30-Jul-2007, 08:31 PM
I was just thinking why did Romero although always keeping his main character African american did a complete 360º with Day?

Here's what i mean Ben and Peter could have practically been brothers,what with the way they were both very dominate with their reactions to there situation during the crisis and were a main contributer to everyone's survival.
Even the main zombie in Land had set of balls on him and showed some sort of leadership and usefulness.
Then there's the laided back,lazy,probably dope smoking,60's mentality with his free livin' hippie loving bullshiit John in Day who was other than flying the chopper pretty much useless!:rockbrow:

Why the difference in character but still focus on a colored lead actor?:rolleyes:

EvilNed
30-Jul-2007, 08:38 PM
Doing a complete 360 would have turned him around 360 degrees and thus landing him exactly where he started. Thus, with a black main character.

Besides, I rewatched Night a few days ago, and I think he's too stubborn and arrogant to be very likeable. He's basicly the one that starts 90% of the fights in that film.

darth los
30-Jul-2007, 08:39 PM
I think part of the night/dawn relationship was due to the fact that he was trying to follow a winning formula, what worked for him in the past. Dawn is so different from night, maybe he wanted to preserve certain elements of that film.

One thing though. That, "the black dude was cast in the lead because he was the best actor we knew" line works once but not twice. There had to be something more behind the casting of ken foree.

sandrock74
31-Jul-2007, 04:20 AM
Don't start me on my "cool black guy" rant again...
LOL!

acealive1
31-Jul-2007, 04:41 AM
*car tires squeal* :eek:

he never intended for roles to be certain ethnicities except for certain obvious ones.

triste realtà
31-Jul-2007, 05:05 AM
I don't know if Night was totally by accident but Dawn Day and Land (Big Daddy and Cholo) were definitely prejudiced against white people. White people are all crazy, suicidal and the african and latino people were calm and somewhat victimized by the crazy white people. Only Frannie was spared, so maybe it was minorities and women who were superior in the Romero universe.

acealive1
31-Jul-2007, 05:28 AM
I don't know if Night was totally by accident but Dawn Day and Land (Big Daddy and Cholo) were definitely prejudiced against white people. White people are all crazy, suicidal and the african and latino people were calm and somewhat victimized by the crazy white people. Only Frannie was spared, so maybe it was minorities and women who were superior in the Romero universe.

thats cuz frannie heard the myth about black guys :D

darth los
31-Jul-2007, 02:48 PM
thats cuz frannie heard the myth about black guys :D

Who says it's a myth? That's some true sh8t !! :sneaky:

DEAD BEAT
31-Jul-2007, 03:25 PM
Who says it's a myth? That's some true sh8t !! :sneaky:

Let's not leave out Latino's it's a close tie for first, you've heard of BMW'S!
:D

darth los
31-Jul-2007, 04:23 PM
Let's not leave out Latino's it's a close tie for first, you've heard of BMW'S!

That's exactly what i am. Let's not confuse race with color. I'm puerto rican but i'm dark skinned.

DEAD BEAT
31-Jul-2007, 05:06 PM
That's exactly what i am. Let's not confuse race with color. I'm puerto rican but i'm dark skinned.

Im Latin myself so preach on brotha!

Let's just say im glad were not in last place....i won't be the one to say who's hanging like a 3 yr. old, but when it comes to a member contest its good to be in the higher ranks!;)

acealive1
31-Jul-2007, 05:20 PM
push comes to shove we're more closely related than anyone else. its no wonder puerto rican people can mistake me for one of their own. even my first cousins husband asked me if i was from there and he's rican :lol:

being able to replicate a puerto rican accent isnt helping my cause either

Yojimbo
31-Jul-2007, 06:20 PM

Your conclusion that Dawn, Day and Land are "defintely prejuduced against white people" is kind of a stretch.

Dawn, for example, had Latino looking bike gang raiders, Latino and Black tenement dwellers defying the law and shooting at cops.

Day: would Rickles have been considered white? He always struck me as Latino. Certainly, he was not a nice guy.

Land had Cholo, a Latino was a terrorist threatening to blow everything up (whites and non-whites) if he did not get his way. Surely he might have been prejuduced against whites, but it can be argued that he hated everyone regardless of race. Land also had an Al Bundy look-a-like Irish underground leader who as a white man was definetly being screwed by the Man.

acealive1
31-Jul-2007, 06:39 PM
Your conclusion that Dawn, Day and Land are "defintely prejuduced against white people" is kind of a stretch.

Dawn, for example, had Latino looking bike gang raiders, Latino and Black tenement dwellers defying the law and shooting at cops.

Day: would Rickles have been considered white? He always struck me as Latino. Certainly, he was not a nice guy.

Land had Cholo, a Latino was a terrorist threatening to blow everything up (whites and non-whites) if he did not get his way. Surely he might have been prejuduced against whites, but it can be argued that he hated everyone regardless of race. Land also had an Al Bundy look-a-like Irish underground leader who as a white man was definetly being screwed by the Man.

:lol: i dont see how they could be prejudice films against white people. one point being romero is hispanic/white and his wife is white. so it'd be self hate ya know?

Yojimbo
31-Jul-2007, 09:10 PM
:lol: i dont see how they could be prejudice films against white people. one point being romero is hispanic/white and his wife is white. so it'd be self hate ya know?

Agree there. Romero is probably the last person I would accuse of racism, and certainly not against whites in particular.

DEAD BEAT
31-Jul-2007, 09:42 PM

Not to get into a racial debate, but i can answer all of those questions:

First off most of those bikers in dawn other than sombero dude and the brotha in the bank were mostly red necks and any real latin leads were white actors thank god they did not speak they looked bad enough!

Ill give you that they were defying the law in the tenant building, but judging by most of the swat teams reactions especially wooley you knew it was a free for all.
Knowing that only minorities occupied the building and were being hostle and alot of action going on...well i think we all know what im getting at.
(wow! how did this puerto rican get shot? "i don't know"!)

2nd Rickles fat asss was Italian so was the actor playing him,Miguel was latin and look at the way they punked his asss through out the movie, throwing there racist comments of him calling him a spick every so often you know Rhodes and the men wanted him bad.

and lastly Cholo did what he did because he was fricken lied to after some rich assshole who happen to be white took away what was left of his dignity by making him a scumbag! pretty much the dangling of the carrot trick and then making him feel like he would never be enough of a person to share the same prevliges and rights as those other morans living in the green!

as i said dont want to start a debate but i think those are pretty reasonable answers!:cool:

Yojimbo
01-Aug-2007, 12:24 AM

First off most of those bikers in dawn other than sombero dude and the brotha in the bank were mostly red necks and any real latin leads were white actors thank god they did not speak they looked bad enough!

Ill give you that they were defying the law in the tenant building, but judging by most of the swat teams reactions especially wooley you knew it was a free for all.
Knowing that only minorities occupied the building and were being hostle and alot of action going on...well i think we all know what im getting at.

2nd Rickles fat asss was Italian so was the actor playing him,Miguel was latin and look at the way they punked his asss through out the movie, throwing there racist comments of him calling him a spick every so often you know Rhodes and the men wanted him bad.

and lastly Cholo did what he did because he was fricken lied to after some rich assshole who happen to be white took away what was left of his dignity by making him a scumbag! pretty much the dangling of the carrot trick and then making him feel like he would never be enough of a person to share the same prevliges and rights as those other morans living in the green!

as i said dont want to start a debate but i think those are pretty reasonable answers!:cool:

I understand and respect what you are saying in your response.

Once again, I only dispute the original statement that the films were deliberately prejuduced against whites. Your response to my posting, however, does not further that statement.

Firstly, you stated that any latino leads were portrayed by white actors. Truthfully, whether the actors were white, or asian, or whatever is a moot point. The operative point here is that they, whatever their true ethnicity may have been, were portraying latino agressors and were not portraying downtrodden victims of white oppression.

Secondly, you state that Rickles character was supposed to be Italian. I ask you, are Italians now considered to be WHITE? I mean, certainly, they might be considered more white than me (as I am an asian) but then if that is the case then am I considered to be more white than a African American? As far as I recall, Italians were considered to be Latin in origin. Further, I doubt that the Klu Klux Klan -- a very white group -- would consider an Italian as fit to join their ranks.

Thirdly and finally, you stated that Cholo was lied to by a person who "happened to be white" I think that sums up the use of a white antagonist in this film. Just because this person happen to be white does not mean that the film is definetly prejudiced against white people.

I will concede that Wooley and Rhodes were both racist idiots. Just because they were, however, does not automatically make the film anti-white or discriminatory against white people.

Again, I respect your right to your opinions, however I still dispute that these films are slanted against whites.

triste realtà
01-Aug-2007, 02:18 AM
latino agressors and were not portraying downtrodden victims of white oppression.
Bull****, the people of 107 were forced to give up their dead while being slaughtered by a bezerk racist. They were fighting for the belief that there is "still respect in dying". Peter understood because he wasn't white.

Secondly, you state that Rickles character was supposed to be Italian. I ask you, are Italians now considered to be WHITE? I mean, certainly, they might be considered more white than me (as I am an asian) but then if that is the case then am I considered to be more white than a African American? As far as I recall, Italians were considered to be Latin in origin. Further, I doubt that the Klu Klux Klan -- a very white group -- would consider an Italian as fit to join their ranks.

WTF is this!? Italians have ancient origins of Celts in the North and Greek in the South. Half of Europe is considered Latin language wise, though, while half is Nordic.

Thirdly and finally, you stated that Cholo was lied to by a person who "happened to be white" I think that sums up the use of a white antagonist in this film. Just because this person happen to be white does not mean that the film is definetly prejudiced against white people.

Cholo's race is a definite factor, as I recall, but I've only watched the film once or twice. Little help?

I will concede that Wooley and Rhodes were both racist idiots. Just because they were, however, does not automatically make the film anti-white or discriminatory against white people.
Rhodes is god. All the white people are portrayed as super neurotic and extremely combative. Again though, Sarah helped Miguel. Another woman like Franny, who is alright in Romero's book.

Romero is Cuban, a latino. That's why he hates white people, except for Christine, his exwife, who he abandoned for probably younger white meat.:lol:

acealive1
01-Aug-2007, 02:23 AM
Agree there. Romero is probably the last person I would accuse of racism, and certainly not against whites in particular.

yes sir :)

Philly_SWAT
01-Aug-2007, 07:36 AM
Bull****, the people of 107 were forced to give up their dead while being slaughtered by a bezerk racist. They were fighting for the belief that there is "still respect in dying". Peter understood because he wasn't white.

Ummm....if the people of 107, as well as everyone else, had given up their dead voluntarily, perhaps the outbreak could have been contained better. The idea that there is "still respect in dying" would seem to go out the window when the dead were trying to eat you. I would like to think that there would still be some respect for living at that point.

darth los
01-Aug-2007, 12:51 PM
I think that went to the larger point that Gar was trying to make in the series. In these films, for the most part, man is responsible for his own demise.

Yojimbo
01-Aug-2007, 04:04 PM

So the presence of a Wooley -- a blatant caricature of a racist who stands out from the ranks of his fellow SWAT members because of his extreme reactionary views -- makes Romero's film anti-white propoganda? I beg to differ. And did Peter understand the plight of project 107 solely because, in your words, he wasn't white?

The entire fiasco of 107, rather than an exercise in making fun of "whitey" I believe, is instead Romero's commentary on the ineptitude of the government's response, and the unwillingness of people to do what they need to do to survive if it violates their philosophical and religious belief system. So, in essence, our beliefs and assumptions make us vunerable to death and the clumsy efforts of the impotent government cannot save us.

WTF is this!? Italians have ancient origins of Celts in the North and Greek in the South. Half of Europe is considered Latin language wise, though, while half is Nordic.

Well, anthropologists surmise that the whole human race originated in Africa, so you can interpret that as you see fit. My primary litmus test about "whiteness" is whether or not the person in question would be allowed to join a White Power group such as the KKK. Once again, I maintain that regardless of your surprised reaction to my statement and in spite of your very true statements about the origination of the Italian people, the would not pass as white in a White Power environment.

Cholo's race is a definite factor, as I recall, but I've only watched the film once or twice. Little help?

If Kaufman had stated that Cholo couldn't live in the penthouse because he wasn't white, or if Riley had stated that Cholo shouldn't be in charge because he was not white enough, or if Cholo got bitten by the zombie because the zombie liked the way a non-white tastes, then I would agree with your statement about race being a factor. I maintain, however, that Cholo was excluded because he was a coarse, uneducated, low class individual and in that regard considered unfit for the tower. Not to say that Kaufman was a color-blind lover of all mankind, but again the mere fact that Kaufman was a prick is not enough for you to conclude that Romero hates white people, just as the presence of a singular racist like Wooley does not mean to imply that the SWAT team had racist motivations.

All the white people are portrayed as super neurotic and extremely combative.

Practically everyone in the living dead world was portayed as neurotic and combative to some degree. DAWN: Latinos and Blacks in 107 were very combative and the idea of hoarding ghouls because of your religion very neurotic. DAY: Was'nt Miguel portrayed as neurotic? Wasn't he called a "spick" by Steele, a very good indicator that he was not considered as white?

Romero is Cuban, a latino. That's why he hates white people, except for Christine, his exwife, who he abandoned for probably younger white meat.:lol:

There we have your assertion clearly stated: You believe that Romero hates white people.

This is a harsh statement, which, at it's core reveals how as a premise it has colored -- so to speak -- how you view practically everything in the Romero world. If you operate from the perspective that Romero is a racist, then why not interpret every aspect of his films as a backup of your view? I maintain that if you really want to see something you will force yourself to see it. So if you really believe in government conspiracy, for example, you will find Masonic symbols in a bowl of cornflakes. In this regard -- that is, since you already believe Romero to hate white people -- certainly you will view the most innocent moment of any of his films as proof that your view is correct.

One additional point (placed as an edit after the fact): You stated that Romero was a latino and therefore hates whites. Do you mean that a latino person is sure to hate a white person solely because they're a latino and the other is white? Is it then your contention that all Latinos hate Whites? Are you a Latino who hates whites? I don't mean this as a personal attack, I am just curious as to how you came to this conclusion.

As a side note, I grew up in a Latino neighborhood. All the kids I ran with were Latino, my Childhood sweetheart was a Latina, practically everyone was Latino. While I heard racist stuff here and there, it was the exception and not the rule. I certainly never sensed that culturally there was an automatic hatred of white people.

Once again, although I will defend your right to think and say and write as you see fit, I vehmently disagree with your view that Romero is a racist, and certainly do not find any evidence that he hates white people in particular, and maintain that you have not really presented any evidence that refutes my assertion.

RustyHicks
01-Aug-2007, 06:50 PM
I think in most parts, Romero cast certain people in
certain roles, because not of the colour of their skin,
but because of the strength of their own character.
It was said once, he cast Ken because he was so tall,
as compared to Scott, who was a runt. It wasn't cause
Peter was black, Romero wanted him cause he was tall and
a good actor.
I don't think Romero hates white people, if that were
the case, he'd never get a movie made.
Steve King...Scott Reinger...Gaylen Ross...Ed Harris....
and more white people have worked with and for Romero.
Don't think he hated whites at all.

Yojimbo
01-Aug-2007, 08:00 PM

I do hear what you are saying, but I ask you: Do you too believe that Romero by way of his films is against white people?

DEAD BEAT
01-Aug-2007, 10:14 PM
I do hear what you are saying, but I ask you: Do you too believe that Romero by way of his films is against white people?

Dude you quoted me already i wasn't going to answer back,mainly to avoid conflict!
Everyone will always stick to their own opion over someone elses.

But to answer your question hell no i dont think Romero is a racist against anyone, if he was i dont think id be such a big fan!
I never said he was i just didn't agree with some of the comments you made earlier, he's to gentle of a man to be a racist.
You can always spot out the wankers, for example Steven Speilberg is a great director but i dont really care for him personally not because of him being jewish but that he always appears snobish.
You can tell Romero is a very humble man!
:bored:

Yojimbo
01-Aug-2007, 10:25 PM
Dude you quoted me already i wasn't going to answer back,mainly to avoid conflict!
Everyone will always stick to their own opion over someone elses.

But to answer your question hell no i dont think Romero is a racist against anyone, if he was i dont think id be such a big fan!
I never said he was i just didn't agree with some of the comments you made earlier, he's to gentle of a man to be a racist.
You can always spot out the wankers, for example Steven Speilberg is a great director but i dont really care for him personally not because of him being jewish but that he always appears snobish.
You can tell Romero is a very humble man!
:bored:

Sorry about the first quote, I had intitally mistaken you for the other dude. My mistake, brother.

I understand that you don't totally agree with my points, and that is cool.

From my end I agree with what you said about Speilberg being a snob.

I also agree that people will believe what they wish. In that vein, perhaps I am wasting my energy and the board's time arguing my opinion when it will most likely not come out to a constructive end. In this regard, I apologize to the board for my extensive rant.