PDA

View Full Version : Couple of things about land of the dead

sgrosse
31-Jul-2007, 01:42 AM
First off, how bad ass was Dennis Hopper. I mean really, if it wasnt for him, this movie would have been even worse.

Another thing I noticed. To me it looked like Romero was taking a swipe at people who believe in God. I mean look it, I think that there were only two mentions of God in the movie, that in and of itself is not a bad thing. But the two references were made by a retard and a crazy street preacher.

"Thats what I love about you, you still believe in hell" what do yall think?

acealive1
31-Jul-2007, 02:56 AM
this is the main reason the land forum is dying

darth los
31-Jul-2007, 03:17 AM
this is the main reason the land forum is dying

BWAHAHAHAHA !!! :lol::lol:

You're so stupid yo. lol Thnx for the laugh.

acealive1
31-Jul-2007, 04:12 AM
BWAHAHAHAHA !!! :lol::lol:

You're so stupid yo. lol Thnx for the laugh.

what? im just being honest

sgrosse
31-Jul-2007, 05:49 AM
well, wasnt aware the forum cops were on tonight. Ill just move along shall I?

bassman
31-Jul-2007, 12:03 PM
There's more than just two mentions of a "God". One that comes to mind is Cholo's "Looks like God's left the phone off the hook...".

There might be a very small influence of religion in the film, but not enough to run the film, I would think.

darth los
31-Jul-2007, 02:41 PM
well, wasnt aware the forum cops were on tonight. Ill just move along shall I?

We were just joking dude. We do that here sometimes. I've been called gay, racist and stupid on these boards. Don't take it personal.

There's more than just two mentions of a "God". One that comes to mind is Cholo's "Looks like God's left the phone off the hook...".

There might be a very small influence of religion in the film, but not enough to run the film, I would think.

I think that any film in which the dead are being re-animated is going to have religious implications by default even if not explicitly stated. Just like any film in which where the black lead conflicts with another white alpha male wanna be is going to have racial tension in it even if it wasn't intended.

suicide22
31-Jul-2007, 02:55 PM
I believe that Land Of The Dead could have been good if it had, the right emphasise on the movie that Dawn Of The Dead did back in 1978. This feature film could have been scarier if not quickly rushed into cinemas & then quickly rushed to DVD with an unrated version. The original Romero script was twice as long and scraped then cut down for a filming script version and taken apart for director's version.

acealive1
31-Jul-2007, 05:18 PM
We were just joking dude. We do that here sometimes. I've been called gay, racist and stupid on these boards. Don't take it personal.

I think that any film in which the dead are being re-animated is going to have religious implications by default even if not explicitly stated. Just like any film in which where the black lead conflicts with another white alpha male wanna be is going to have racial tension in it even if it wasn't intended.

you're right about that. in any culture u look at,jesus christ died and then came back from the dead....so whats that mean? :D

Philly_SWAT
01-Aug-2007, 07:45 AM
Personally, I would have prefered an unknown actor to Hopper in that role. Not saying that Dennis did a bad job or anything, just that hsi acting prowess wasnt really pushed to the limit or anything, any capable actor would have been effective in that role. An unknown would have helped a lot in the "suspension of disbelief" thing.

I didnt think GAR made any issue of religion at all in the movie. With Dawn's tagline being "When theres no more room in hell....", there is an obvious relgious context there. John's whole speech in Day was blatantly religious in nature. The religious comments in Land were more just common things to say, like when you hit your thumb with a hammer you yell "Jesus Christ!" You are not really implying a religious context to your experience, for whatever reason, things like that have seeped into common language.

As for taking a "swipe at God", the one popular series that does that is Star Trek. Anytime they come across a race or planet that believes in God, there is always a scientific explantion for whatever it is that the people think is their "god", and the Star Trek crew enlightens them as to the true nature of the universe. But I digress, I dont think GAR was taking a swipt at religion at all.

acealive1
01-Aug-2007, 08:30 AM
i think the only reason he picked hopper was because they're friends. hopper wasnt challenged in mario bros neither but he was damn good. he's one actor that can make anything great. look at my science project. he made the hippie character what it was :)

MissJacksonCA
20-Aug-2007, 02:33 AM
Bah... i'm done with Dennis Hopper... i'd like to see some range on his acting instead of him playing the same guy over and over... its been done to death... and i'm just a little upset I never got to see him turn into a zombie too... is that asking for so much?

AcesandEights
20-Aug-2007, 02:55 AM
Bah... i'm done with Dennis Hopper...

How dare you profane ol' Hopp-head! :mad:

*Looks off wistfully whilst flashing back to his favorite Dennis Hopper performance of all time.*

cPZwVQNCl0o

MissJacksonCA
20-Aug-2007, 08:56 PM
Sorry the only role Dennis was ever any good at was in the Super Mario Brothers which coincidentally also starred thee one and thee only John Leguizamo...

bassman
20-Aug-2007, 09:06 PM
Sorry the only role Dennis was ever any good at was in the Super Mario Brothers which coincidentally also starred thee one and thee only John Leguizamo...

?????? Please tell me this is sarcasm....

"Easy Rider", "Apocalypse Now", even though the movie isn't my cup of tea, his character in "Texas Chainsaw Massacre II" was awesome, "True Romance". I could probably think of some more, but....this dude is a legend.

MissJacksonCA
20-Aug-2007, 09:38 PM
of course it was sarcasm... yeahhhh... sarcasm... that's it... what can I say there's no accounting for good taste...

AcesandEights
20-Aug-2007, 11:17 PM
"True Romance"

Actually...one of the best performances of the last 15 years in any Hollywood movie, IMO. You know the part I mean.

bassman
21-Aug-2007, 01:45 AM
Actually...one of the best performances of the last 15 years in any Hollywood movie, IMO. You know the part I mean.

You're part eggplant.....

darth los
21-Aug-2007, 02:55 AM
I think dennis could definitely be more selectives in the roles he chooses to play. Sam Jackson suffers from the same syndrome imo. Great actors but i sometimes can't help but think, "what were they thinking when they accepted these parts?"

MissJacksonCA
21-Aug-2007, 03:09 AM
Technically they're actors... they're paid to do movies... some actors like some people with regular jobs take pride in what they do and pick and choose wisely because they realize acting like a lot of regular jobs can make or break you and can lead to a monetary increase or decrease... so I can understand why some actors will do any movie... on the other hand how much money d'ya need that you're willing to do ANY movie

they're kinda like prostitutes lol have some self worth and pick the good looking ops y'know?

Danny
22-Aug-2007, 02:27 PM
^ cough-dean kain-cough!:lol:

MissJacksonCA
22-Aug-2007, 05:29 PM
^ cough-dean kain-cough!:lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol: too true