PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic Crude Oil

Kaos
04-Aug-2007, 01:52 AM
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/progress/scientists-figure-out-how-to-grow-gas-from-bacteria-284888.php

The word about this company is the product they make is synthetic crude with as much energy as petroleum (unlike ethanol). The product can be converted to gasoline, diesel, and jet fuel using the same methods and equipment as today. Their target price at release is $45 per barrel.

Cool stuff.

Yojimbo
04-Aug-2007, 01:58 AM
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/progress/scientists-figure-out-how-to-grow-gas-from-bacteria-284888.php

The word about this company is the product they make is synthetic crude with as much energy as petroleum (unlike ethanol). The product can be converted to gasoline, diesel, and jet fuel using the same methods and equipment as today. Their target price at release is $45 per barrel.

Cool stuff.

Kaos, are they publicly traded?

Kaos
04-Aug-2007, 02:03 AM
Kaos, are they publicly traded?
Not certain, but it may be a privately held company owned by a publicly traded company.

<<<I was thinking the same thing btw>>>

Better article:

http://gristmill.grist.org/story/2007/7/30/2124/78022?source=daily

More cool stuff.

Yojimbo
04-Aug-2007, 02:47 AM
Not certain, but it may be a privately held company owned by a publicly traded company.

<<<I was thinking the same thing btw>>>

Better article:

http://gristmill.grist.org/story/2007/7/30/2124/78022?source=daily

More cool stuff.

Great minds, right?

Thanks, Kaos, for the tip and the links. I'm always trolling for a way to retire early!;)

acealive1
04-Aug-2007, 02:50 AM
hasnt syunthetic motor oil been out forever? what took em so long with gas?

Kaos
04-Aug-2007, 07:48 AM
hasnt syunthetic motor oil been out forever? what took em so long with gas?
Synthetic motor oil is only for lubrication. You can't turn Mobil One into gasoline. It isn't fuel.

MinionZombie
04-Aug-2007, 10:56 AM
I'm too lazy to read the article, haha, but is it just like normal fuel, or is it cleaner? I'm not being a green nazi, everybody by now should know how much I hate this popular trend of being green & ever so smug about it, but just wondering really...

Then of course there's this thing with the north pole and all this untapped fuel and gas being there and Russia's desperate to get their hands on it to claim some sort of lost supremacy...to be honest I'd rather that Canada have it, at least they're calmer...and they didn't have a Cold War...nor do they put nasty things in people's food in restaurants. :eek:

Kaos
04-Aug-2007, 04:25 PM
I'm too lazy to read the article,

Come on, man. You know you tried to read it. :p

As far as greenhouse-gas emissions, the news is mixed. In terms of pure combustion -- i.e., what comes out of the tailpipe -- LS9's fuels are about the same as gasoline. (By comparison, E85 -- 15% gas, 85% ethanol -- is about an 80% emissions reduction from gasoline.) However, the company claims that on a lifecycle basis, its products represent a reduction in GHG emission from both gas and ethanol.
Why? Relative to gas, LS9's products don't require drilling for oil. They don't release any previously buried carbon into the atmosphere. Instead, the feedstock plants absorb CO2; it's released when the fuels are burned; it's reabsorbed by the plants; released again; etc. In other words, it's a closed loop, recycling CO2 already in the atmosphere.

MinionZombie
04-Aug-2007, 05:45 PM
Sounds like a good idea then, rather than digging up the North Pole amidst taught political climates between several countries.

Hooray for synthetic stuff! :)

At the very least it could provide us with the gap between fossil fuels and renewable, totally clean and working fuel (plugging a leccy car into a plug point doesn't cut it, haha!)

And the G-Whiz is crap, you have to choose between lights or wipers on a rainy night, sheesh! :rolleyes:

So basically - science rules again. :D

Neil
06-Aug-2007, 11:50 AM
Amazing!!!

EvilNed
06-Aug-2007, 12:02 PM
nor do they put nasty things in people's food in restaurants. :eek:

You can't prove a thing!

Tricky
06-Aug-2007, 06:05 PM
Plus it stops the arabs having the monopoly on the rest of the world!you can also run cars on the oil that comes from oil seed rape & flax etc,if they would industrialise that it would be clean & also put some much needed money back into the farming industry!

MinionZombie
06-Aug-2007, 06:24 PM
Mind you, the problem with that biofuel stuff is that it takes up vast chunks of the countryside with that minging stuff (even if the yellow does look kinda funky in the summer), thus cutting down the amount of farming for food.

Also, it's happened before, but they cut down trees to grow this biofuel stuff...not very environmentally friendly that, is it? A few years ago it was all banging on about saving trees in Brazil, now it's about making poncy fuel for cars so champagne socialites can ease their guilt, and cutting down trees if they're in the way...grrrrrrreat.

Bring on that fuel cell sh*t like I saw on Top Gear a few series back! That's the sh*t right there. At the very least, this fuel has this 'closed loop' thingy going for it, sounds like a good step between now and the future fuels...and should be a lot less political...this whole North Pole thing is some scary sh*t.

Tricky
06-Aug-2007, 08:35 PM
I can see battle lines being drawn over that north pole oil in the future!going off subject here as well,but if the soviet union is re-arming & claiming land,how will the poncy "EU" react if russia starts annexing the balkans & other former soviet states?i reckon they will do their usual trick & demand british troops go & sort the problem out,without wanting the germans & french to be at risk or seen as the aggressors i.e. iraq & afghanistan :rolleyes:
Also who are the french to slap a worldwide ban on british meat because one farm has foot & mouth?the british agricultural industry hasnt recovered financially from last time yet,& this knee jerk reaction could be the final blow,then we will no longer be a self sufficient country & will have to rely on the EU for food,& if they've had a bad harvest or anything else has ballsed up production then they will feed their own first & see britain starve :eek: foot & mouth doesnt even affect humans so whats the big shakes?

trickys in a ranting mood tonight :lol:

acealive1
06-Aug-2007, 09:31 PM
Synthetic motor oil is only for lubrication. You can't turn Mobil One into gasoline. It isn't fuel.

i know that....but since gasoline and motor oil come from the same source what the hell took them so long? did they get lax about it?

cuz if someone can make a diesel truck run on crisco,then something terribly wrong with the people who get paid to make cars burn cleaner

MinionZombie
06-Aug-2007, 10:29 PM
I know, the last time it hit us hard, but that was a proper outbreak. What we have here is a localised incident due to a laboratory bollock up, I'm talking balls deep.

But what do you expect from a bunch of "Cheese eating surrender monkies"? :lol:

Damn I love that term, absolutely hilarious, and don't blame me - Grounds keeper Willie said it on The Simpson's ... and I too am Scottish, so f*ck all ya'll, so being Scots "my people" get plenty of name-flack, so I'm justified to dish some out too, we all are, let your hair down and enjoy yourselves! :lol:

But yeah, hardly surprising from the French, who ironically treat their cattle far worse than we do, we just get f*cked over by bad luck.

*sigh*

Gordon Brown - harbinger of bad luck, eh?

1) Brown finally gets his greedy, greasy mits on the top job he's been pining for, for well over a decade.
2) Terrorists attack.
3) Worst flooding in 40 years.
4) Foot & Mouth returns just as we're over the big hurt from 2001.

next...?

5) Britain literally explodes from over-taxation and too much beaurocracy and political correctness?

or

5) 28 Days Later comes true...:eek:

Marie
07-Aug-2007, 01:36 AM
But what do you expect from a bunch of "Cheese eating surrender monkies"? :lol:

Damn I love that term, absolutely hilarious, and don't blame me - Grounds keeper Willie said it on The Simpson's ..:

I think it came from a Monty Python routine first, no less amusing though.

5) Britain literally explodes from over-taxation and too much beaurocracy and political correctness?

I'll get back to you after the elections, the United States may beat you to it.:eek:

M_

MinionZombie
07-Aug-2007, 10:56 AM
lol, well if America blows first, it won't be a good sign for us...everybody expected Bush to be ousted, and he wasn't...then here in the UK Labour manage their first ever third term in a row. :eek:

Aye the "C.E.S.M." thing has been used elsewhere before no doubt, but it was just the first example I could think of. :p

Tricky
07-Aug-2007, 05:49 PM
[QUOTE=MinionZombie;107749]

QUOTE]

Actually i think it will probably sink into the channel under the sheer weight of red tape coming across from europe,especially after gordon brown hands over the country on a silver plate without giving us our referendum!:mad: the papers seem to be going on about him like he's the second coming,but i think he's a twat!

MinionZombie
07-Aug-2007, 05:55 PM
Brown hasn't changed whatsoever, he's the same dour dick he was before and always has been, he wrote the cheques and sapped the cash over every bad decision in the last 10 years...all of a sudden Britain forgets that sh*t...most likely because of the national past-time of giving people "benefit of the doubt".

*waits around for Brown to slip up ... it's gonna happen, blates ... sure as water is wet and hellsing's gay for Guitar Hero* :lol:

And hell yes, the people demand a referendum over Europe, but we're not getting one - remind me what Democracy means again? :rockbrow: So the public wants to speak up, everybody knows it's gonna be against what the gubment want, so we don't get to say our piece officially...how f*cked up is that?