PDA

View Full Version : I hate looking through old family pictures...

mista_mo
09-Aug-2007, 03:46 AM
damn you facebook....allowing my sister to post photos of her wedding 7 years ago....

Must be the music i am listening to cus i almsot started to cry when I saw my step dad and his parents.

I haven't talked to him in years...maybe 5 or so..i dunno if he is even alive any more...
his mom was killed and his dad nearly died in a house fire a few years back. I never knew em that well, but seeing pictures of them makes me realize that they existed, as weird as that sounds. Never knew em, but they apparently knew me, and i never felt hurt after his mom died; but now looking at the pictures I am, and for him.

it's weird...

Danny
09-Aug-2007, 03:51 AM
i get that, i saw a picutre of my dad for the first time ever a few weeks back and he pretty much is Al form home improvement in a tweed jacket, plus he was holding me at a few weeks old, it was odd to see him holding me, hell odd to see him at all really.

plus it was odd that my mom decided to dress her son in a full on "aye,aye,calm down,calm down" scouser shell suit, oh well. it was the 80's i guess.:lol:

mista_mo
09-Aug-2007, 03:54 AM
heh,

my mom used to dress me in a pseudo sailor suit...trousers with a white/blue striped shirt....

s*it I miss childhood...

Danny
09-Aug-2007, 03:55 AM
ouch man, but ill see that sailor suit adn raise you a minature "70's as fook" tuxedo, complete with frill down the front and a orange bow tie:barf:

mista_mo
09-Aug-2007, 04:04 AM
I'll see your sailor suit and raise you with a kickass ninja turtle shirt complete with ninja turtle undies and bandana...

it's funny, cus if you wore that stuff at our age you'd get killed.

Danny
09-Aug-2007, 04:16 AM
ill see that and raise you a full plastic teenage mutant "hero" (:rolleyes:) tutrles rapheal costume, complete with those fork weapons.

which my mom had to hide form me cus i was a little bastard.:lol:

mista_mo
09-Aug-2007, 04:29 AM
got ya beat-

I had a whole ninja turtle chair set i used to throw at my dogs in my sub zero costume

DeadJonas190
09-Aug-2007, 04:37 AM
I got you both beat, I dressed as Michelangelo and pulled the cap off of the sewer so I could actually go down and play TMNT down there... I didn't go down because I realized it wasn't a sewer, but a storm drain and that there was no ladder to get back up.

My mom has since told me that if it wasn't so funny watching 2 grown men trying to put the cap back on the storm drain that her 10 year old took off that I would have been grounded.

MissJacksonCA
09-Aug-2007, 05:09 AM
Funny you should say that... I dont really see my family so I dont know what any of them look like and prolly wouldn't recognise any cousins or aunts/uncles... but my brother is almost unrecogniseable from how he used to look... he looks almost totally icky now with a deep tan and dyed dark hair and a bizarre facial hair thing... I haven't seen my dad in ages only from like a distance... he looks the same...

For various reasons neither I nor my mother have any photos from my life or hers or anyone in the family from when I was a kid or teen or anything... we had a house fire and it pretty much took everything and after that and the constant moving she lost a lot of stuff ...and these days I'm so used to losing things I dont even bother to take pictures of myself or pets or people I care about... and then my dad just tainted any old family pictures when he used them in court as examples of how the behavior of his children was a result of bad parenting on our mothers part...

I do look back fondly on a few pictures I can remember I used to have... one was of me in my dads arms at Disneyland in front of the flowers at the entrance. Another was me tap dancing. My prom picture was a reminder of a good time. And when I won Princess of Love and Beauty. I had a picture of my mom when she was all dolled up and pretty and wearing her mink coat that I always remember her as during the 'good times' ... but I really dont remember any other pictures.

I kinda feel like pictures are memories of times worth looking back on but mostly my past is something that makes me hope I get amnesia.

kortick
09-Aug-2007, 05:14 AM
Mo

sometimes i feel you think too much
about heavy issues

you are doing so much better now than before

dont fall into old patterns

Im not saying for sure you are
and im not trying to lecture you

im just saying i like you and i dont want to see
you have any more problems

look back at those days with fondness
and cherish what those people meant as you move foward

keep on with your writings
they are really amazing

Cody
09-Aug-2007, 05:17 PM
I know how you feel I havent seen my other in over a decade. Her mother died one night, she swirved her car off in the lake and they found her a few days later. I remember her from child hood.

Yojimbo
09-Aug-2007, 09:44 PM
Sad, bittersweet thread, this.

My mother and my father separated when I was three, so I didnt have much
of a bond with him. After a short while, when I was seven, my father was living in New York at the time and we (my mother and I) went to visit him. At that time, my mother and father announced that they had reconciled and were getting back together. We would be moving to New York to live with him. The thought traumatized me at the time, since I had been primarily raised by my grandmother and this would have meant that I would be away from her -- she was more of a mother figure in my life at that time than my mother who was usually not around because of work, etc. It was about this time that my father was killed in a plane crash, a twin engine cessna that he and his business partner used to commute from Olean to Buffalo. Of course my mother was devastated, but I wasn't bothered by this, and in fact was somewhat relieved that I would not have to move to New York. I was a little kid and the true import of what had happened did not get to me at that time.

It was not until much, much later when I was older and saw the relationship that my friends had with their dads that I even felt the loss. Nowdays, when I look through my old photo albums I come acros pictures of my mother and father and I taken during that trip so long ago in Olean NY, a happy, nuclear family, the sensation of loss can be overwhelming. How my life would have been altered, where would I be now, how would it have been to really have known my father -- these are the questions that haunt me to this day.

Now enough of the serious, sentimental stuff and lets get back to the ghouls!