PDA

View Full Version : Silly town... stupid ideas... any funny local news stories?

MissJacksonCA
09-Aug-2007, 05:14 AM
I dont really have any funny local news stories but I heard this one on 'Wait Wait Dont Tell Me' and thought i'd share it...

Apparently the residents of a small town in Pennsylvania are upset whenever the fire alarm goes off to notify the fire dept. that there's a fire or other emergency in the town because they feel its too loud. They want the firemen to be more discriminating when they ring the fire bell and to only ring it during 'real emergencies' ...

I wonder if they'll feel the same when their house burns down because the firemen had to whisper to each other psssssssssssst... there's a fire lets go

AcesandEights
09-Aug-2007, 10:06 AM
My local story, which isn't silly but--in my opinion--pretty cool, is about the parks department I worked for while putting myself through school.

Artist Mows 850,000-Square-Foot Purple Heart Into N.Y. Field

Monday, August 06, 2007

AP

Aug. 5: An 850,000-square-foot rendering of a Purple Heart medal is shown in a New York park.

HAMPTONBURGH, N.Y. — An artist has mowed an 850,000-square-foot http://img443.imageshack.us/my.php?image=purpleheart1kt5.jpgrendering of a Purple Heart medal into a park field to honor the 75th [img]anniversary of the medal that commends servicemembers killed or wounded in action.

The rendering, which was unveiled Sunday in Thomas Bull Memorial Park in this city 55 miles northwest of New York City, was done by field artist and painter Roger Baker, whose past works include the Statue of Liberty and Elvis Presley.

According to Baker, the project followed a chance meeting with Bill Bacon, membership director of the Military Order of the Purple Heart. After meeting with officials from The National Purple Heart Hall of Honor and Orange County parks, the plan was on.

The New Windsor Cantonment, in what is now Orange County, was the final encampment of the Revolutionary Army. To honor the service of select troops, Gen. George Washington presented a small purple cloth Badge of Merit — the precursor to the Purple Heart medal.

In 1932, the Purple Heart was awarded to 150 veterans of World War I. The National Purple Heart Hall of Honor opened in New Windsor in 2006.

Baker's design was based on a photograph of the medal awarded to Art Livesey, a Middletown, N.Y., Marine Corps veteran who was wounded at Iwo Jima.

Click Image for better quality picture.
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/6058/purpleheart1kt5.th.jpg (http://img443.imageshack.us/my.php?image=purpleheart1kt5.jpg)

MissJacksonCA
10-Aug-2007, 02:41 AM
oh that was sweet!

There was a funny local Charleston story... the beaches off the coast of Charleston area isle's erode away annually and are the cause for a 'beach renousihment' project that is funded by tax dollars from people whether they live on the beach or not... I think its funny because for instance... my tax dollars will go towards increasing a homes value for some lucky bastard living oceanside... the problem is that the homes being built along the coast are sooo huge that they're only exacerbating the usual erosion problem and with hurricanes past and future they're not exactly helping... when asked to comment a homeowner seeking beach renourishment said someone had to lose... either she loses her home or the public loses their beach... which was funny because the beach is already gone and her home is about to float away as well... so technically we all lost... BUT if she gets the beach renourished.. only she wins because the beach where she happens to live is on a private isle... so my money is going to pay for her to keep her home and for a beach I can't use... bull hoggiany!

clanglee
20-Aug-2007, 08:57 PM
There was a funny local Charleston story... the beaches off the coast of Charleston area isle's erode away annually and are the cause for a 'beach renousihment' project that is funded by tax dollars from people whether they live on the beach or not... I think its funny because for instance... my tax dollars will go towards increasing a homes value for some lucky bastard living oceanside... the problem is that the homes being built along the coast are sooo huge that they're only exacerbating the usual erosion problem and with hurricanes past and future they're not exactly helping... when asked to comment a homeowner seeking beach renourishment said someone had to lose... either she loses her home or the public loses their beach... which was funny because the beach is already gone and her home is about to float away as well... so technically we all lost... BUT if she gets the beach renourished.. only she wins because the beach where she happens to live is on a private isle... so my money is going to pay for her to keep her home and for a beach I can't use... bull hoggiany!

That's Charleston for ya!

MissJacksonCA
20-Aug-2007, 09:34 PM
Today in the paper a 14 year old murdered a 18 year old pizza delivery driver for his money... ahhhh what a safe wonderful happy effed up world... errr city...

flyboy
21-Aug-2007, 12:31 AM
I dont really have any funny local news stories but I heard this one on 'Wait Wait Dont Tell Me' and thought i'd share it...

Apparently the residents of a small town in Pennsylvania are upset whenever the fire alarm goes off to notify the fire dept. that there's a fire or other emergency in the town because they feel its too loud. They want the firemen to be more discriminating when they ring the fire bell and to only ring it during 'real emergencies' ...

I wonder if they'll feel the same when their house burns down because the firemen had to whisper to each other psssssssssssst... there's a fire lets go

exactly.couldnt agree more miss jackson.

i live in a sleepy boring village, full of old lady's going to church or having bring and buy sales,or line dancing classes,or trumpet lessons.boring place.:bored:nothing good or funny ever happens. i think the most intresting thing to happen was when the post office got robbed.at 6am in the morning you can see tumble weed blowing across the road!!

clanglee
21-Aug-2007, 01:57 AM
you know, Charleston's not a bad place though. I loved it when I lived there. I used to walk through downtown at all hours of the night, and I rarely felt unsafe. Granted, I was usually baked out of my gourd, but nothing ever happened. It was such a beautiful and ancient(for the US) place. I miss it.