PDA

View Full Version : Study: Console Gamers Clueless

darth los
09-Aug-2007, 02:34 PM
According to a study published today from videogame analysts NPD group, gamers are mostly clueless...at least when it comes to functions of their consoles that aren't playing games.

Some shocking stats:

The majority of owners and likely purchasers of the PS3 are unaware that it is possible to download content to their PS3.
30% of Xbox 360 owners don't know the system features high-def graphics. 50% of PS3 users know about HD.
37 percent of PS3 owners know there is a backwards compatibility built into their console, even though 71 % of purchaser and likely purchasers rate it as an important function.
360 users being more likely to use their systems to play games online than PS3 users are. No surprise there, huh?
40% of PlayStation 3 owners polled were aware the machine had a Blu-ray player. About half polled knew about the DVD-playback potential of Xbox 360.
The implications of this study, based on online survey responses from 6,260 members of NPD's online consumer panel, are pretty massive. An overall assessment: The game market may be more casual than system-makers count on...and, in the final reel, people mostly just want to play games as opposed to use their system's other multimedia functions.

How about you, dear reader? Did you pore over the manual and discover/use every last function of your system? Or did you just tear into Madden and forget the rest of the things it can do?

These are some interesting stats. I hope sony is listening. It's the same reason why the wii is smoking the ps3 right now. They actually concentrate on gameplay instead of including a whole bunch of bells and whistles which people don't really care about and aren't even aware of anyway.

Reported on g4's site today.

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/index.html

Danny
09-Aug-2007, 02:39 PM
i prefer to find things out as i go along, then theres the good old "what can you get to work in the usb port" game.

still aint tried my printer:lol:

MinionZombie
09-Aug-2007, 05:46 PM
I'm not surprised some people don't know, people will just buy something for the original, obvious purpose of it's being there - in the case of consoles - gaming.

That's why I bought mine, and that's also why I got the Core (leave off the comments, f*ck all y'all, I dig it, it's all I need).

Anyway, there's no need for all these silly little extras, people do things which relate to certain machines. If you wanna go on the internet and email and such - you use a PC. If you wanna play a DVD, you use a DVD player. If you wanna play games, you either play them on a PC, or if you're just a random, normal level gamer, you get a consoler...although within that market there are more hardcore players, but not as hardcore as most PC gamers...those chaps take the biscuit and run off with it, wrist protectors optional.

People are simple - "I wanna play games, gimme a box that does that" - sorted, end of, leave it at that. The average consumer, the people who shift the units, don't want fiddly sh*t, only the techno geeks want it, and they're not in high numbers generally.

MikePizzoff
09-Aug-2007, 09:13 PM
That's why I bought mine, and that's also why I got the Core (leave off the comments, f*ck all y'all, I dig it, it's all I need).

XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE

...okay, Microsoft, where's my check?

MinionZombie
09-Aug-2007, 10:08 PM
XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE XBOX LIVE

...okay, Microsoft, where's my check?
So I can play opposite people who use "leet speak" without any hint of irony? Pfft...

I like chilling in my office chair, feet on the foot of my bed, slamming buttons in front of my 21 inch TV (proper old school style, none of that LCD stuff, haha) also at the foot of my bed. :D

Terran
09-Aug-2007, 10:15 PM
I speak in "leet speak" without any hint of irony, regularly!!! and I dont even play any online games....