PDA

View Full Version : who the hell is michael powell?

acealive1
11-Aug-2007, 08:50 PM
ok some nut job on another forum im on decides to try to tell me romero stole his idea from someone named michael powell...........yeah....all micheal powells i've heard of werent around til 30 years ago. i smell a rat.......

Minerva_Zombi
11-Aug-2007, 09:18 PM
Michael Powell directed a reallt great movie called "Peeping Tom" and Romero himself even states that Michael Powell was one of his big influences growing up. But, the only person Romero really ripped off was Richard Matheson and his book "I Am Legend"

acealive1
11-Aug-2007, 10:15 PM
Michael Powell directed a reallt great movie called "Peeping Tom" and Romero himself even states that Michael Powell was one of his big influences growing up. But, the only person Romero really ripped off was Richard Matheson and his book "I Am Legend"

i VERY much figured so. thanks for the much needed info on that.

EvilNed
11-Aug-2007, 10:17 PM
But, the only person Romero really ripped off was Richard Matheson and his book "I Am Legend"

Altough I want to say that there are similarities with "I Am Legend" and Night of the Living Dead, they are VERY different. I wouldn't call it ripping off or even stealing. Just influencing by.

acealive1
11-Aug-2007, 10:29 PM
Altough I want to say that there are similarities with "I Am Legend" and Night of the Living Dead, they are VERY different. I wouldn't call it ripping off or even stealing. Just influencing by.

the way they describe the creatures in the movie are more like vampires and infected like rather than zombies

Minerva_Zombi
12-Aug-2007, 05:03 AM
well, in many interviews romero himself stats that he pretty much blantantly ripped matheson's idea.

acealive1
12-Aug-2007, 05:31 AM
well, in many interviews romero himself stats that he pretty much blantantly ripped matheson's idea.

DAMN!!!

EvilNed
12-Aug-2007, 12:53 PM

I know, I just don't agree with it.

MoonSylver
12-Aug-2007, 04:57 PM

Yeppers. One of my favorite stories (as told by Romero) is that the two met at a horror convention. George apologized to Matheson for borrowing his idea. Matheson asked him "Did you make any money on it?" George said "No, not really.", to which Matheson replied (jokingly) "Good! Serves you right!" :D

Danny
13-Aug-2007, 12:47 AM

ah peeping tom, we studied it in the first year of film class at college, greaat slasher/thriller, to bad becuase it was so outragoues at the time the actor who definatley must have inspired the new show dexter, at least a little, never got another great role.

Yojimbo
13-Aug-2007, 08:00 PM

Minerva is correct in that Romero was inspired by Matheson's I am Legend. Funny thing is, if you look a the film Last Man On Earth, which is a version of I Am Legend starring Vincent Price, the vampires come off as very gar ghoul like, except they talk and use tools...ooops, forgot about LAND.

thxleo
14-Aug-2007, 12:13 AM
ok some nut job on another forum im on decides to try to tell me romero stole his idea from someone named michael powell...........yeah....all micheal powells i've heard of werent around til 30 years ago. i smell a rat.......

Michael Powell directed "Tales of Hoffman", which Romero has mentioned time and time again as one of the biggest film influences on him.

Monrozombi
14-Aug-2007, 12:18 AM
Michael Powell directed "Tales of Hoffman", which Romero has mentioned time and time again as one of the biggest film influences on him.

George used to rent "Tales of Hoffman" when he was a kid growing up in Brooklyn. And he said that was the film that really made him want to be a filmmaker. He'd rent it from this local movie place along with a projector. He would do this quite regularly. One day he went to rent it and the guy told him some kid name Scorcese from across town rented it. That was told at a Q&A session with George that I went to in NH last year.

Maitreya
14-Aug-2007, 03:29 AM
Minerva is correct in that Romero was inspired by Matheson's I am Legend. Funny thing is, if you look a the film Last Man On Earth, which is a version of I Am Legend starring Vincent Price, the vampires come off as very gar ghoul like, except they talk and use tools...ooops, forgot about LAND.

You seem to forget that they also used tools in Night, Dawn and Day. One of them also spoke in Day. And one of them possibly spoke in Dawn, but I'm pretty sure that was just an overzealous extra.

acealive1
14-Aug-2007, 03:43 AM
You seem to forget that they also used tools in Night, Dawn and Day. One of them also spoke in Day. And one of them possibly spoke in Dawn, but I'm pretty sure that was just an overzealous extra.

what one was that? i need to watch it again

Maitreya
14-Aug-2007, 05:23 AM
I posted a thread about it a longass time ago, but it's at 1:14:04 on the theatrical cut (I have the divimax edition), when Stephen's trying to get the keys off his belt and he pushes one of em over, it sure as hell sounds like it says "get him" or maybe "get em", they both sound pretty similar.

Yojimbo
16-Aug-2007, 12:27 AM
I posted a thread about it a longass time ago, but it's at 1:14:04 on the theatrical cut (I have the divimax edition), when Stephen's trying to get the keys off his belt and he pushes one of em over, it sure as hell sounds like it says "get him" or maybe "get em", they both sound pretty similar.

Yeah, being a newbie, I also posted a thread about that. Interestingly enough, very few people other than yourself and I are able to make out the pirate zombie.

I was being funny, BTW by singling out and capping on DAY. I do know that there was tool usage in the previous two as well as Bub's lovely speaking role. For some reason, though, it bugs me in DAY whereas it doesn't in the other two. I don't know why, it just gets me irritated!

Maitreya
16-Aug-2007, 02:32 AM
Haha, yea, I can see what you mean. I guess Bub does get a little excessive in his usage of human artifacts, but I always just took that as being due to his human education.

I still see where you're coming from.