PDA

View Full Version : Whys bigamy illegal?

MissJacksonCA
15-Aug-2007, 02:02 AM
Forgive me for asking a really stupid question... is it the whole morality of it? Because frankly... I think its a tad outdated... if you're cunning enough to marry 8 women and hide all the relationships from the other women shouldn't you be able to get away with it? Perhaps we should spend time punishing people who y'know... actually punish people who commit shall we say... real crimes? I kinda feel like they're punishing people for deceiving their spouse... and well... should that really be a crime?

Philly_SWAT
15-Aug-2007, 02:21 AM
Forgive me for asking a really stupid question... is it the whole morality of it? Because frankly... I think its a tad outdated... if you're cunning enough to marry 8 women and hide all the relationships from the other women shouldn't you be able to get away with it? Perhaps we should spend time punishing people who y'know... actually punish people who commit shall we say... real crimes? I kinda feel like they're punishing people for deceiving their spouse... and well... should that really be a crime?
This goes back to an argument that I made to you a few weeks back that just because something is "illegal" doesnt mean that it is "wrong". There are many other laws on the books that are there due to outdated ideas about morality. Taking these laws off the books would make the world a much better place, and there would certainly be less lawbreakers.

MissJacksonCA
15-Aug-2007, 02:23 AM
You should move to Utah and start a cult man...

AcesandEights
15-Aug-2007, 02:43 AM
To be honest, I think bigamy should be left illegal. It opens the door to abuse, to backward ideas of women being no more than chattel and to jackasses getting married to umpteen women, knocking them up and not being able to support their accumulated children.

Yes, there are what-ifs that can be proposed to go 'round in a circuitous fashion that might make people consider the idea. Is it really hurting anyone? Who says multiple spouses is just for men? If a man can support 8 wives and 32 children, let him marry and be done with it! But, I stand by my statement on the matter.

Then again, the government should really have no role in ratifying what is essentially a religious contract anyway (and yes, the tax codes should be rewritten). But if there are going to be laws governing marriage, then we might as well focus on the type of relationships that have the power to damage, demean and be used as a vehicle to deny human beings their rights.

If people want to engage in polyamorous relationships, outside of the binding contract of marriage, that is one thing (and a different matter all together), but I just see institutionalized bigamy as a backward step for protecting the rights of the individual--something that will lead to far more abuse than the 'liberty' of allowing it to exist.

MissJacksonCA
15-Aug-2007, 02:55 AM
Bigamy isn't just a crime against women... women commit it as well they just dont get caught as often because women are better liars...

It should be a crime for any couple to get knocked up and have children they can't afford unfortunately there's no way to punish that beyond revoking their rights as parents which seldom ever happens. Personally I feel those people should be sterilized because they obviously lack the control necessary to behave like a rational being and prefer to create children they can't afford and count it as a blessing... or an extra couple hundred bucks from social services every month...

Morally bigamy is wrong... but women get hurt by men (and vice versa) every day... men cheat on their wives (perhaps that should fall under bigamy)... and girlfriends (and vice versa)... but to make it a crime to enter into a vow with a few extra women? Sure he's breaking his wedding vows but quite honestly... dont a lot of people?

I just have little empathy for women dumb enough to be duped into a marriage where their husband is a bigamist. I know not everyone can be as untrusting as myself but still... hearing about these bigamy cases and reading their background and hearing the lies their husband tells them... add 2 and 2 people! Beyond that I just think its a tad outdated... its like not allowing homosexuals to marry...

Dont we have bigger fish to fry?

AcesandEights
15-Aug-2007, 03:00 AM
I know not everyone can be as untrusting as myself...

You got that right, Sister :p

^The above is a humorous stab at you, nothing more.

MissJacksonCA
15-Aug-2007, 03:02 AM
Man its cool i'm laughing because I seriously think everyone has a malevolent side ... and so far i've been right :( I feel like Sandra Bullock in Premonition (BTW AWFUL MOVIE NEVER EVER SEE) ... no matter what I do I can't change what's going to happen...

AcesandEights
15-Aug-2007, 03:17 AM
<----All sides are malevolent here. A fvcking rhomboid of evil, if you will.

*Gives Miss Jackson the evil eye*

MissJacksonCA
15-Aug-2007, 03:19 AM
duuuude I invented the evil eye :evil:

Maitreya
15-Aug-2007, 04:43 PM
its like not allowing homosexuals to marry...

Homosexuals?

MARRY?!?!?!

Are you crazy?

I've devised a 10 point report on WHY gay marriage is wrong!

1. Homosexuality is not natural. Real Americans always reject unnatural things like eyeglasses, polyester, and air conditioning.

2. Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall.

3. Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets because a dog has legal standing and can sign a marriage contract.

4. Heterosexual marriage has been around a long time and hasn't changed at all; women are still property, blacks still can't marry whites, and divorce is still illegal.

5. Straight marriage will be less meaningful if homosexual marriage were
allowed; the sanctity of Brittany Spears' 55-hour just-for-fun marriage would be destroyed.

6. Heterosexual marriages are valid because they produce children. Homosexual couples, infertile couples, and old people shouldn't be allowed to marry because our orphanages aren't full yet, and the world needs more children.

7. Obviously gay parents will raise gay children, since straight parents only raise straight children.

8. Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are imposed on the entire country. That's why we have only one religion in America.

9. Children can never succeed without a male and a female role model at home. That's why we as a society expressly forbid single parents to raise children.

10. Gay marriage will change the foundation of society; we could never adapt to new social norms. Just like we haven't adapted to cars, the service-sector economy, or telephones.

Now tell me you still want them to get married!

axlish
15-Aug-2007, 06:55 PM
Bigamy is illegal because it normally involves a man that is sneaking around, and the wives are not aware. If that weren't illegal, men could do this without penalty. As for the religious aspect, eh, I'm not religoius so I am not in favor of making a loophole.

Marie
15-Aug-2007, 08:41 PM
I think bigamy should remain illegal because guys are disadvantaged enough and if they can't handle one woman what the heck makes them think they can handle two or more?:D

M_

EvilNed
15-Aug-2007, 10:12 PM
Maitreya, that was a very good list. Did you compose it yourself?

Maitreya
15-Aug-2007, 10:28 PM
Maitreya, that was a very good list. Did you compose it yourself?

Unfortunately, no, but I really like the message it delivered, and I felt it was appropriate for a bit of satire, since she mentioned gay marriage.

MissJacksonCA
16-Aug-2007, 12:53 AM
That list soooo made you my hero ... damn it was great... personally i'd outlaw heterosexual marriage... its not like we're doing very well with it... lets see how gays treat marriage... maybe they'd respect it a bit more since their field of choice is more limited than ours ...perhaps every 6 out of 10 gay marriages wont fail like heterosexual marriages...

marriage is a privilege and thus should be revoked upon bad behavior... we've shamed the institution of marriage and should forget it ever existed...

Maitreya
16-Aug-2007, 02:30 AM
Haha, here's another one.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g313/0mirror1mirror0/l_ae60f4a0fa8b1491c0fab74bb95f26a0.gif

MissJacksonCA
16-Aug-2007, 02:46 AM
I know its a joke but shouldn't it be working on Sunday? hmmm... abonimation is a fun word... makes me think of snowmen... abonimable snowmen...

Maitreya
16-Aug-2007, 03:12 AM
Actually, funny thing about that, the Sabbath holy day was originally Saturday, but in order for early Christians to practice their religion they changed the holy day to Sunday in accordance with a Roman pagan holiday, and it just never really changed back, while the Jews didn't have that problem, hence why most (all?) synagogues will hold their services on Saturdays.

MissJacksonCA
16-Aug-2007, 03:13 AM
now explain why Jews are 'gods chosen' ...

clanglee
16-Aug-2007, 03:40 AM
marriage is a privilege and thus should be revoked upon bad behavior... ..

What!?!? a priviliege?!? are you . . .oh wait, you are of the female persuasion. . . . um in that case. . . yes dear.

MissJacksonCA
16-Aug-2007, 03:43 AM
... if marriage was a right... everyone... homosexuals and heterosexuals... would all have the equal right to marriage... but we dont... because its a ... anyone anyone? privilege...

clanglee
16-Aug-2007, 03:45 AM
sure doesn't feel like a privilige :bored:

MissJacksonCA
16-Aug-2007, 03:50 AM
Well perhaps you should re-evaluate your marriage then bud... :confused:

clanglee
16-Aug-2007, 03:50 AM
I get what you are saying, and I agree (kinda). But marriage is different for everyone, even the definition is up for grabs, because it means different things for different people. Sure homosexuals should be able to be misera. . . ummm. . . get married.:lol: But right and privilige are not opposites. and in this country, marriage is an attainable right for most of the population, not a privilege. or however you spell that word.

and i am so totally kidding about the miserable in marriage thing. . . usually;)

MissJacksonCA
16-Aug-2007, 04:01 AM
meh... we shall have to agree to disagree... though because its an attainable right that should technically make it a privilege...

I'm not really suggesting is a thing of wonder and splendor I mean heck... its refferred to as an institution... but I was beeeeing snarky with my re-evaluation comment... I generally assume most people are dissatisfied with their marriages being a child of two parents and a brother who's divorces add up to a magical total of 6... its pathetic they should have their ability to marry revoked... but so should Britney Spears... so yeah... whaaaatever...

clanglee
16-Aug-2007, 05:57 AM
agreed. . . .semantics anyways

Cody
16-Aug-2007, 06:33 AM
jackson your kinky.

MissJacksonCA
16-Aug-2007, 10:14 PM
http://www.switched.com/2007/08/15/is-having-an-online-wife-adultery/

semi related

_liam_
17-Aug-2007, 12:28 AM
aye i think it should be allowed, although i wouldnt recommend it.

MissJacksonCA
17-Aug-2007, 01:32 AM
to hear women tell it they never want to sleep with their husbands so I suppose women should be for it... it would alleviate the pressure... if you will.... unfortunately that can be a financial burden for any man so that would suck for his whole family...

fartpants
20-Aug-2007, 06:11 PM

but you would also have to deal with 8 sets of in-laws
and 8 cases of p.m.t...that is punishment enough surely

DjfunkmasterG
20-Aug-2007, 06:18 PM
If you're sneaking around marrying 20 wives... yeah even I have issue with that, but if it is polygamy, in which all parties know what is going on, then I think it is fine, but I do have a problem with bigamy.

MissJacksonCA
20-Aug-2007, 09:18 PM
They could be really nice inlaws though... i've met nice perspective in laws before they were pretty awesome... or when you're actually married do they turn into wicked people? hm...:rockbrow:

DjfunkmasterG
20-Aug-2007, 09:57 PM
When I was married my in-laws were very cool. During the divorce a lot changed, but for the most part they were decent people.

Monrozombi
21-Aug-2007, 12:01 AM
I'm glad bigamy is illegal because I can barely afford 1 wife let alone multiple :p

flyboy
21-Aug-2007, 12:41 AM

if i had a girlfriend i could not have say another 2-3 on the go i just could'nt live a lie like that. when im in a relationship,i HAVE to be honest with her telling her certain things about my past and the like.i just could not live a lie.simple.:sneaky::shifty::moon:

MissJacksonCA
21-Aug-2007, 02:55 AM
I can def. see why someone would want multiple wives... whether by means of polygamy or bigamy... the same person day in and day out would drive me fuggin nuggits... I couldn't take it... at least if you had a few wives/husbands you could have a bit more fun of it ... it would shake things up... fortunately I have the ultimate boyfriend who can do mad accents so every now and then he's Irish to me or a pirate... its quite wonderful the way he humors me... its like dating five different men lol

darth los
21-Aug-2007, 02:58 AM
I'm glad bigamy is illegal because I can barely afford 1 wife let alone multiple :p

Imagine what you'll pay to divorce them all !! :eek:

MissJacksonCA
21-Aug-2007, 03:10 AM
Imagine what you'll pay to divorce them all !! :eek:

Maybe he can get a 5 for 1 deal! And if Texas continues on its current path offering a $1 dollar marriage at the dollar store perhaps someday there will be a $1 dollar divorce!