PDA

View Full Version : Bioshock get's a great review...

Neil
16-Aug-2007, 09:02 AM
10/10 - http://www.gameinformer.com/Games/Review/200709/R07.0814.1203.13551.htm

Danny
16-Aug-2007, 12:11 PM
it just keeps sounding better and better.

PJoseph
16-Aug-2007, 04:34 PM
It looks fantastic. I might just get an Xbox 360 just for it!

I suppose I should get one anyway, but it's good to have a bad excuse.

pJ

darth los
16-Aug-2007, 04:46 PM
I downloaded the demo yesterday and it's unbelievable. The thing that really stood out for me was the atmosphere. I'm definitely running out to get this one.

CoinReturn
16-Aug-2007, 04:59 PM
Eurogamer (my favorite site for reviews) also gave it a 10/10. They are notoriously hard on games, so this comes as a bit of a shock:
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=81479

Ivarr
16-Aug-2007, 05:11 PM
I have played about every FPS out there and I don't think I would even call this an FPS.

Its more akin to an adventure game with real time combat and a very cool and creepy setting.

My wife watched me play the demo and she picked up on the Atlas Shrugged vibe.

This is going to be a clasic and must have game.

CoinReturn
16-Aug-2007, 05:32 PM
My wife watched me play the demo and she picked up on the Ann Rand/Atlas Shrugged vibe.

Great observation! Objectivism is a prevalent underlying theme throughout the game. I can't wait to see the philosophical messages it brings forth as you make your way through Rapture.

Here is a list of confirmed reviews for the game. Its looking more and more that this could be the defining game of this generation:
Offical Xbox Magazine UK: 10/10
PC Gamer UK: 95/100
PC Zone: 96/100
Eurogamer: 10/10
Gamer.tv: 5/5
Game Informer: 10/10
AP Magazine: 5/5
Computers & Video Games: 9.5/10
Gamepro: 10/10
1up.com: 10/10
Xbox World: 94/100
Gamespy: 5/5
Console and Gameworld: 99/100
IGN.com: 9.7/10
gamesradar: 10/10

Craig
16-Aug-2007, 11:30 PM
You know... this is one next-gen (well current gen really) game I think I might get, which is very rare for me since I haven't seen much at all that is interesting enough for me to actually shell out like 40 quid for.

Danny
17-Aug-2007, 02:23 AM
i hear ya man the only next gen game i payed full pice for was dead rising, and that was a dissapointment, i just wait a month till there 25 quid or 2 for 40 in gamestation.
but yeah the legendary version fo thsi with the big daddy statue is totally worth the price tag.

mista_mo
17-Aug-2007, 02:33 AM
i can see this being a superior game to halo 3, but not selling as much....tbh, halo doesn't really add anything new or particularly interestign to the fps francise..it just does the old stuff VERY well.

This game does the old stuff VERY well, adds an entire new strategy and difficulty, and is downright frightening.

if only microsoft would advertise this as much as they would halo 3 :(

Danny
17-Aug-2007, 02:34 AM
i dont see bioshock flavoured mountain dew having an appeal with a name like that.:lol:

mista_mo
17-Aug-2007, 02:41 AM
or with a picture of a splicer on the front...

ugly sons of bitches.

but still, you get what i mean right?

slickwilly13
17-Aug-2007, 03:57 PM
I played it last night. It controls just like any other 1st person shooter out there, so it was easy to jump right in. Definitely a game to rent and beat. I won't buy it though. I finish shooters too quickly. And you get to shoot kids in this game. :evil::evil::evil::elol::elol::elol:

Danny
17-Aug-2007, 04:02 PM
only if you choose to be a bastard thought, you can save em and turn em back into real kids again.

slickwilly13
17-Aug-2007, 04:08 PM
I'll choose to be a bastard and shoot every little girl I find. :elol:

darth los
21-Aug-2007, 03:00 AM
I think i would be a bastard as well. That's what games are for, to do things that you could/would never do in real life. Live a little !! :D

slickwilly13
27-Aug-2007, 02:38 PM
Currently playing the full version. Pretty good so far. No, I didn't kill the little girls. I was bribed with something nice for not killing them. The bribes have been worth it so far. But I was going to kill them. :evil:

bassman
27-Aug-2007, 03:16 PM
So being that it will most likely be a while before this goes to the Platinum Series or even gets a price drop......is it worth the 60 bucks to buy it now?

slickwilly13
27-Aug-2007, 04:20 PM
Knowing how short a lot of shooters are....I say no. Its a renter. I am not saying the game is bad, but not worth $60. Find it at your local video store and rent it like I did.

CoinReturn
27-Aug-2007, 04:29 PM
Its 20-25 hours of pure bliss. Best game I've played in years. Definitely worth the full $60 in my opinion. Not to mention its good to support a developer like Irrational Games, so that they can bring us a sequel :D

capncnut
27-Aug-2007, 05:40 PM
Its 20-25 hours of pure bliss. Best game I've played in years. Definitely worth the full $60 in my opinion. Not to mention its good to support a developer like Irrational Games, so that they can bring us a sequel :D
Agree 100%. I'm hard pressed to think of a minute of gameplay that I didn't have a big fat grin on my face.

slickwilly13
29-Aug-2007, 02:10 PM
Has anyone rescued any of the little girls, yet. This is going to sound wrong. The girls sound like the are struggling against a pedifile. "NO! No, no, NO!"

Danny
29-Aug-2007, 02:17 PM

20 hours?!?, jesus i jsut finished final fnatasy X adn it only took 19 to complete, i doubt an fps game is that long.

CoinReturn
29-Aug-2007, 05:09 PM
Yep, its 20+ hours. Its more a first person adventure, like Metroid Prime. I'm barely half way through and I've been playing for 2 hours a night. How on earth did you finish FFX in 19 hours?? It took me, and just about everyone else I know, around 40.

Edit: I found a Final Fantasy speed run which clocks in at 12 hours:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1047752969403086662

Thats skipping all the cinematics, dialogue, and taking the fastest short cuts. Did you play it before and know where everything was already?

slickwilly13
29-Aug-2007, 06:01 PM
I have about 160 hours into FF 10.

bassman
29-Aug-2007, 07:04 PM
I'm really wanting to buy this game but i'm trying to hold out until it's cheaper. Maybe I should finally get "Gears of War" now that it's cheaper. It could hold me over until "Bioshock"...

slickwilly13
29-Aug-2007, 07:21 PM
Just rent it. That's what I am doing. In fact my rental of Bioshock was free. For some reason.

Danny
29-Aug-2007, 08:04 PM
I have about 160 hours into FF 10.

i think my gameing records time wise are 128 hours in pokemon gold and 98 in pokemon pearl.

slickwilly13
01-Sep-2007, 12:41 AM
I just beat Bioshock 10 minutes ago. Anyone else complete it, yet? Btw, I rescued every little sister and got the good ending. But I read there are multiple endings.

bassman
01-Sep-2007, 02:16 AM
I just beat Bioshock 10 minutes ago. Anyone else complete it, yet? Btw, I rescued every little sister and got the good ending. But I read there are multiple endings.

So being that you're the first "round these parts" to complete it........what's your final verdict on the entire game?

slickwilly13
01-Sep-2007, 03:05 AM
The game is great, but I wouldn't pay $60 for it. I'd definately pay $30 when it goes down in price. I heard there is 2 or more endings so there is replay value. I ran into a glitch as well. Whenever I would regenerate sometimes my weapon or special powers would fire automatically without me pushing any buttons. And first person shooters are too short for me. I wouldn't be satisfied, unless some software company came up with a shooter that had an 80-100 hour story line. The last guy was way too easy for me. He was cool looking and wasn't expecting it. I like how he went down, too. Btw, saved all the sisters *100 achievement points* so my end game might be diffrent if I had killed them all.

The story had good plot twist and was never boring. The weapons were awesome and had a cool retro sci-fi feel to them. When you upgrade weapons they alter in appearance. Some looked so outrageous it was cool. *L* There are numbers slots for equiping powers and upgrades for : health, magic, phsyical, hacking, and item effects to name some. Even the hacking was turned into a mini game.

Graphically, the game was highly impressive. Great eye candy. This is what the current gen should look like. It would have been nicer if I could blown heads off. But, I could set people on fire and watch them run and scream in terror. :cool: Electrocute them while standing in water. Sic Big Daddy on them. Unleash a swarm of killer bees. I could go on and on about this.

I give it a 9.5/10. A must play. If you have to have it then buy it. If you don't want to spend $60 then rent it like I did. Either way. Play this game.

LoSTBoY
07-Sep-2007, 10:25 PM
Played and completed!

Might I mention, I'm playing on:

2.4 Ghz processor (Overclocked from 2Gig, still to fully push it)
3Gb Dual DDR Memor (Kingston might I add :sneaky:)
7950 GT Geforce 520Mb (Gonna get a 8800 for the DX10 soon)

Thats the power, anything else is cosmetic.

Anyway, back to the game....

****.ing loved it, I got tired of the hacking feature after a while but they did fix that with the camera research feature which I though was good, most likely came off the x360 side(Dead Rising Much?).

It has the best death scene Iv'e seen yet, mostly because it's the most graphic. Details below:

It's the death of Mr Ryan, the golf club to the face. I found it reallly good because of the timed hits to the head where he keeps getting up and saying "OBAY" through a broken yaw from the first hit. Then the club getting lodged in his head on the last strike, notice the club falling apart as well.

Aww and the little sisters, I got the evil ending because I harvested 1 sister, just to see what it was like. Bastads!

Anyway, LB rating: 9/10

It only loses out on the lack of various ememies and the end boss being a pussy.