PDA

View Full Version : dialouge in dawn...

flyboy
16-Aug-2007, 02:05 PM
what does peter actualy say AFTER flyboy says-'cant they smash the glass'? i cant seem to pick it up!

axlish
16-Aug-2007, 02:54 PM
safety-stuff

Yojimbo
16-Aug-2007, 03:12 PM
It's been a while since I indulged in DOTD, but as the previous poster Axlish stated it was something like:

"Safety Stuff, pretty indestructible. They got no leverage between the trucks. I'm hoping they go away after they figure out they can't get in here"

Not verbatim, but this is all I can recall.

DEAD BEAT
16-Aug-2007, 04:54 PM
what does peter actualy say AFTER flyboy says-'cant they smash the glass'? i cant seem to pick it up!

Ya that's true he does mumble some shiit before he say's "Safty Stuff"!

Beats the hell out of me dude!
:(

Philly_SWAT
16-Aug-2007, 06:26 PM
It's been a while since I indulged in DOTD, but as the previous poster Axlish stated it was something like:

"Safety Stuff, pretty indestructible. They got no leverage between the trucks. I'm hoping they go away after they figure out they can't get in here"

Not verbatim, but this is all I can recall.

Yes, that is pretty much it.

Ya that's true he does mumble some shiit before he say's "Safty Stuff"!

Beats the hell out of me dude!
:(
Umm.....I dont think he mumbles anything, he clearly says
"It's not a hundred percent, but I dont think they'll get through."

Then FLyboy says
"Cant they smash the glass?"

To which PEter replies the aforementioned

Again, maybe not verbatim, but it probably is.

flyboy
16-Aug-2007, 09:45 PM
cheers,that sounds about right from what i can tell.:cool:

MissJacksonCA
17-Aug-2007, 04:05 AM
but the question remains... any of that 'safety stuff' true?

Yojimbo
17-Aug-2007, 03:39 PM
I have heard that the plastic sheathed glass is pretty indestructible, and the same goes for that really thick lexan stuff you find protecting bank tellers and inner city liquor store cashiers, but none of that stuff is considered "safety glass" per se. As far as I know, "safety glass" is a term used to describe glass that does not shatter into long, real scary shards but rather breaks down into little circular clusters when broken, and was invented by the automotive industry to reduce injuries during a collision.

I guess calling a plexiglass sheet "safety stuff" makes sense in that it is hard to shatter and therefore safer than regular glass, but I doubt that Romero thought about it too much before writing that particular line.

MissJacksonCA
17-Aug-2007, 10:04 PM
I guess I meant something more along the lines of (and my bad for being vague) ... what is the quality of the seal of those windows and doors and such... how many people thrusting their body weight into 'em would it take to take down those?

Philly_SWAT
17-Aug-2007, 11:15 PM
I guess I meant something more along the lines of (and my bad for being vague) ... what is the quality of the seal of those windows and doors and such... how many people thrusting their body weight into 'em would it take to take down those?

Depends on whether or not they can get any leverage. That was Peter's whole argument, that the zeds couldnt get any leverage with the trucks in the way.

Cody
18-Aug-2007, 12:08 AM
good lord I cant believe you guys memorized the lines

MissJacksonCA
18-Aug-2007, 02:22 AM
good lord I cant believe you guys memorized the lines

i'm sure they can't believe you didn't!

I got Peters thing about the trucks but even still it looked like there was a good several feet in between the trucks and the doors... granted some shots show the trucks to be farther and others show them to be closer... but from the abstract i'm just wondering how many bodies pressing into doors it would take to make them burst open... which reminds me of something we have yet to see in a zombie movie with running zombies... if anyone recalls the Chicago or Rhode Isle night club disasters where there as a stampede of people all headed for the same place sometimes disaster can happen... I'd like to see in zombie movies with running zombies some kind of sitch where they get stuck together like that... instead of just this constant flow... or maybe a few faster zombies stomping others to the ground...

Cody
18-Aug-2007, 03:32 AM
[QUOTE=MissJacksonCA;109483]i'm sure they can't believe you didn't!QUOTE]

Good point. :p

Yojimbo
18-Aug-2007, 05:29 PM
i'm sure they can't believe you didn't!

I got Peters thing about the trucks but even still it looked like there was a good several feet in between the trucks and the doors... granted some shots show the trucks to be farther and others show them to be closer... but from the abstract i'm just wondering how many bodies pressing into doors it would take to make them burst open... which reminds me of something we have yet to see in a zombie movie with running zombies... if anyone recalls the Chicago or Rhode Isle night club disasters where there as a stampede of people all headed for the same place sometimes disaster can happen... I'd like to see in zombie movies with running zombies some kind of sitch where they get stuck together like that... instead of just this constant flow... or maybe a few faster zombies stomping others to the ground...

I don't mean to make light of a real life tragedy, but I remember one of those club instances where they showed a whole mess of clubgoers stuck and jammed together in a doorway. I have the funny mental image of a whole group of zombies crammed tightly together just like that!

jim102016
20-Aug-2007, 03:59 AM
I don't mean to make light of a real life tragedy, but I remember one of those club instances where they showed a whole mess of clubgoers stuck and jammed together in a doorway. I have the funny mental image of a whole group of zombies crammed tightly together just like that!

Seems like it happens every so often in third world countries where fire codes, etc. create a situation where too many people get in a building that's impossible to get out of when a fire starts.

Speaking of leverage under the trucks, I seem to remember a zombie using a tire iron to smash the window of the third truck Roger hotwires. Who's to say another clever fellow couldn't crawl under the truck with a similar weapon and take a half-ass swing at the glass to start a slow crack?

On the same topic, I always wonder if the loading dock had a truck in front of it? It didn't have one before Roger got that chunk taken out of his leg. That would be the door I'd be worried about the most.

MissJacksonCA
20-Aug-2007, 09:10 PM
Seems like it happens every so often in third world countries where fire codes, etc. create a situation where too many people get in a building that's impossible to get out of when a fire starts.

Actually it happens in the States a lot too... every state has its own fire code issues and because theres no federal laws that i'm presently aware of that govern all of the states on those codes it creates a dangerous situation. During the most notable fire escape mishap it was because older buildings weren't subject to new codes that created a deadly situation where people had less than a minute and a half to make it out alive through the only two doors at the front of the building because they weren't aware of any other emergency exits. Add to that the genious people who chose to bash open windows to get out and thus allowing oxygen in and only exacerbating the deadliness of the fire people really didn't have a chance for survivial.

But I think its just a little less realistic to always see zombies running in a good pattern and always funneling through doors and hallways when in reality they'd be stampeding and thus should end up stacked highly body on body and unable to continue moving at some point. Any director or writer recognising that inevitability could easily have his lead characters run down a dead ended hallway unable to open the 'emergency doors' a horde of zombies hot on their path when what what? Looks like they're all gonna die but uh ohhh they're stuck the zombies are piled up like traffic on the I-5 and I-405 connector... so they'd only have to kill 10-20 while trying to open the emergency doors ...

I think zombie movies have really gone dead in the sense that they haven't tried to think outside of the usual coffin for situations where their characters are cornered

CornishCorpse
20-Aug-2007, 09:15 PM
I like the idea about doors being blocked MJ, screwed if you do and screwed if you dont. I understand what youre saying about the keeping the thinking inside of the coffin but Im prayin to one of the gods that the zombie diaries will be a fresh sigh of last breath.

MissJacksonCA
20-Aug-2007, 09:41 PM
Meeeee tooo man... but even if not I plan and promise to film zombie gold with the release of my epic in two years... one year if I skip school again...it will be hard to cram people together for that long but hey...

I feel like we're really beating a dead horse with zompics... so I really have a strong urge for something different... a new preview I saw for RE: Extinction didn't give me much hope because it has like those weird mutant things... if the zombies aren't enough of a threat to be the stars of a horror flick then by golly stop filming and head back to the writing desk guys!

darth los
20-Aug-2007, 11:08 PM
I have heard that the plastic sheathed glass is pretty indestructible, and the same goes for that really thick lexan stuff you find protecting bank tellers and inner city liquor store cashiers, but none of that stuff is considered "safety glass" per se. As far as I know, "safety glass" is a term used to describe glass that does not shatter into long, real scary shards but rather breaks down into little circular clusters when broken, and was invented by the automotive industry to reduce injuries during a collision.

I guess calling a plexiglass sheet "safety stuff" makes sense in that it is hard to shatter and therefore safer than regular glass, but I doubt that Romero thought about it too much before writing that particular line.

I was kind of surprised that with all the shooting that went on in the mall that atleast one bullet didn't ricochet and either break the "safety" glass or the windows to one of the shops.

RustyHicks
20-Aug-2007, 11:15 PM
The bullets ricochet off the garbage cans though,
but not the windows. I think the shop windows would
be a little more fragile than the door windows.
Especially with that crazy biker and his machine gun

darth los
20-Aug-2007, 11:22 PM
All the dude with the tommy gun seemed to be shooting at was the air ducts in an attempt to get at "chocolate man" i don't think he fired a vertical round. Did you know that he was an actual biker and not a paid actor?

RustyHicks
20-Aug-2007, 11:26 PM
Yeah most of those bikers were really a bikers gang,
which I thought was cool to have in the film,
luckily they didn't walk off with half the mall
during the shooting :)

darth los
20-Aug-2007, 11:32 PM
Yeah most of those bikers were really a bikers gang,
which I thought was cool to have in the film,
luckily they didn't walk off with half the mall
during the shooting :)

I think the only reason they didn't is because that they knew that they would be the first ones to be blamed and to make matters worse their faces were on camera.

RustyHicks
20-Aug-2007, 11:48 PM
Good point.
Here's a question though, why did they leave the shop doors open
in the first place, if they knew there was a chance looters would
be around, why not keep the shop doors locked at all times (unless
in use) that way they could have stayed safely upstairs and rode
the storm out when looters did come

Philly_SWAT
21-Aug-2007, 12:30 AM
Good point.
Here's a question though, why did they leave the shop doors open
in the first place, if they knew there was a chance looters would
be around, why not keep the shop doors locked at all times (unless
in use) that way they could have stayed safely upstairs and rode
the storm out when looters did come

I have asked myself this before, and this is what I think. Our group of 4 in the Mall are people, just like us. Like most people, they would tend to get lazy and complacent, even during a zombie outbreak. Even if they did close all the doors every day, how long would they continue to do that with no intruders? Months? Weeks? Days? In the false security they were enjoying in the Mall, it would have become tedious to have to unlock the doors every day, therefore they started to leave them open. Of course, logically speaking, there would be no reason to go into all those stores all that often. In a realistic answer, without that in the script, it would have made the biker break-in scenes much less dramatic.:)

darth los
21-Aug-2007, 02:46 AM
In hindsight it turns out that they risked their lives for nothing. Locking the doors didn't prove to be much of a deterent to people who were hell bent on getting in those stores. I just viewed the extended cut and it struck me that the bikers didn't even take essential products for survival besides guns. They took frivilous things. Another point towards the obsession with consumerism gar was trying to make?

clanglee
21-Aug-2007, 03:15 AM
How long do you think they were in the mall anyways? Roger was bitten when blocking entrances. Peter says he never saw anyone last more than 3 days after being bitten. Most of the mall montage takes place with Roger in declining health (but still alive). Then, after he dies . . what? More stuff happens, but there is no real time frame given. Just curious.

Ohhh another thing!!! They started building the wall while Roger is still alive, but do they finish it before he becomes bed-ridden? If so, how the hell did they get him up and down that ladder?

Sorry, probably seen the movie too many times for my own good.

jim102016
21-Aug-2007, 08:59 PM
How long do you think they were in the mall anyways? Roger was bitten when blocking entrances. Peter says he never saw anyone last more than 3 days after being bitten. Most of the mall montage takes place with Roger in declining health (but still alive). Then, after he dies . . what? More stuff happens, but there is no real time frame given. Just curious.

Ohhh another thing!!! They started building the wall while Roger is still alive, but do they finish it before he becomes bed-ridden? If so, how the hell did they get him up and down that ladder?

I've often wondered how they got all the **** (furniture, etc.) up there during/after the wall was put up. I'll have to watch it again, but they put the lumber up in the doorway before they even take care of the bodies.

Yojimbo
22-Aug-2007, 12:44 AM

I think this was debated somewhere on one of the threads, but cannot remember the count. One of the zed-heads here noticed how many months were crossed off on the hideout wall. Yet another noted the progression of Fran's pregnancy (earlier in the film Stephen is asked about how far along her pregnancy was-- and though I cannot recall his response I think it was a couple of months, so assuming that she was for the sake of argument two months pregnant and was showing a signifigant size increase at the end which had to be within a 7 month time frame, blah, blah)

I too have probably seen this one too many times for my own good, yet not enough times to remember the exact dialogue I was referencing!!!

I've often wondered how they got all the **** (furniture, etc.) up there during/after the wall was put up. I'll have to watch it again, but they put the lumber up in the doorway before they even take care of the bodies.

In the novelization, Romero/Sparrow wrote that they hauled a lot of the junk up there-- even managing to haul an artificial fire place -- before they sealed the false wall.

I think the only reason they didn't is because that they knew that they would be the first ones to be blamed and to make matters worse their faces were on camera.

Darth is once again right on target. Also, Clayton Hill who recruited the bike gang was good friends with the leader, and he said that on those few occasions when a weapon or something would turn up missing after they wrapped shooting for the evening he would politely mention it to the leader, who then gave his word that he would look into it. The missing item would always then turn up shortly after the leader would inquire about it with his crew. Clayton characterized the leader as being a "man of his word". I have often wondered -- and will ask Mr. Hill and his wife Sharon the next time I have the honor of meeting them both face to face-- if the leader ever appeared on film in the final edit, and if he did then which dude he was. Just curious!

clanglee
22-Aug-2007, 02:39 AM
yeah i rewatched it last night. Pregnancy is indeed a good indicator of time passing. Steven said she was 3 or 4 months prego at the beginning, at the end she was about ready to pop. I also oticed the calenders on the wall. Looked like about 3 months but who knows when she started counting. So there we go. . .three or 4 months in the mall.