PDA

View Full Version : Should people be able to name their kids anything?

MissJacksonCA
16-Aug-2007, 09:35 PM
http://news.aol.com/story/_a/couple-tries-to-name-baby-/20070816093109990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

Between this couple wanting to name their kid '@' and another wanting to name theirs 4-real I think we're heading in a scary place... George Costanza from Seinfeld wanted to name his kid 7... or Soda... and some actor named his child Pilot Inspektor... WTF is wrong with people?

Should the government be able to prohibit names?

Personally I wouldn't mind it if they did... my name was sure a bitch to have as a kid growing up ... everyone kept calling me Ashley apparently they couldn't read... my poor brothers middle name is Quin... my dads middle name was Willard til he changed it to William... some kids just get a raw deal...

Tricky
16-Aug-2007, 09:48 PM
It was in the paper the other day someone had named their kid "superman" :eek: and theres a massive trend in the sink estates of this country for chavvy teenage mothers to give their kids gash names like "kalifornya" "shayney" "nike" or "daisy may","chanterelle mercedes scratchcard" and other stupid names (ok i made that last one up,but the others ive seen as genuine names!)
In about 15 years time when these kids are leaving school & looking for work they are going to be laughed out of the interviews,nobody will take them seriously & thats the fault of their idiotic pikey parents who thought it was cool in the early 2000's to make bollocks words up!if of course they survived the relentless bullying from kids with normal names while they were still at school.It should be a form of child abuse,its amusing reading the births page in the local newspapers just to laugh at the dumb names people have given their kids! :lol:

MissJacksonCA
16-Aug-2007, 09:56 PM
I see what you're saying BUT when those kids are older and doing interviews does McDonalds really care what the names of their cashiers names are as long as they can say 'do you wanna supersize it'?

Danny
17-Aug-2007, 02:45 AM
worst ones ive heard

mercedes
jhon2.0
lynrdskynrd (as a first name)
KISS (no, im not joking, poor bastard)
thor
moonflower
muffin (???)
and quite possibly the worst Mr.Spock as a first name, including mr and .:rolleyes:

MissJacksonCA
17-Aug-2007, 02:46 AM
I have actually met people with the following names

Muffin
Bambi
Babs
Candy (not Candace)
Bartholomeu
and Flower... and it was a man... a verry old man eeeeuw

mista_mo
17-Aug-2007, 02:50 AM
If I wanna name my kid i wil call it what i damn well want thank you very much!

If I want to call it mountain dew it's my inalienble right as a child owner to name my kid a name i think fits them.

names i give my kids:

paint
driver
lint brush
speaker
cd tray
mustard
metallica (complete with devil horns)
guts
scruff mcGruff
hotdog buns

and anythign else i happen to see one day!

I'm just kidding of course, but alot of people think like that. They don't see that the name they give their kid sticks with them throughout life and can actually be a good indication of how much they are going to be bullied. Hell, I can guarantee you that if a kid named mustard went to school with a kid named hotdog buns well....

"hey mustard! Why don't you go inside of hotdog buns!"

people who name their kids dumbass names should die.

MissJacksonCA
17-Aug-2007, 02:54 AM
I heard one woman try to defend her unique childs name by using google... she herself wrote several published journals of some kind but after a perspective employer googled her he couldn't find her amidst the thousands of other Jane Smiths... so she went to the laptop and googled unique names to ensure such an embarassment would never happen to her daughter...

are you kidding me? like googleability matters...

_liam_
17-Aug-2007, 03:03 AM
you should be able to call your kid whatever. but it is cruel to call them moon unit or whatever.

oh yeah, and also mista mo, this one might make you laugh

09:00:02, Categories: Music News
Swedish Baby Will Be Named Metallica After All

MetallicaThe parents of a seven-month-old Swedish baby have been given permission to name the tot Metallica. Swedish tax officials told Michael and Karolina Tomaro they'll refuse to acknowledge their daughter if they go ahead with plans to name her after the Enter Sandman rockers.

But the officials have withdrawn their objections. The news means the Tomaros can now travel abroad because the controversy prevented the seven-month-old baby from getting a passport.

acealive1
17-Aug-2007, 03:05 AM
apple
pilot inspektor
peaches
brooklyn
shaniqua
shaquay
tinneka
denkies
denim

MissJacksonCA
17-Aug-2007, 03:07 AM
apple's a cute name ...its sooo adorable... and yet... sinister... forbidden fruit anyone?

mista_mo
17-Aug-2007, 03:14 AM
what if they named their kid penis monster?

theres gotta be something to stop that from happening.

acealive1
17-Aug-2007, 03:16 AM
apple's a cute name ...its sooo adorable... and yet... sinister... forbidden fruit anyone?

fine, lets name our kid turdbomber

or how bout "boy" ?

MissJacksonCA
what if they had a kid named 'my penis'... haven't you heard the joke about the guy whos dog is named my penis and he gets lost and goes up to people going... have you seen my penis...

Danny
^i heard the director of ustokidoji, legend of the overfined called his first born that.:lol:

MissJacksonCA
17-Aug-2007, 03:17 AM
hey its cool ...or we could give our lovechild a name like Scott or Brian or Ben... something really origional lol...i'm flexible though

acealive1
17-Aug-2007, 03:18 AM
hey its cool ...or we could give our lovechild a name like Scott or Brian or Ben... something really origional lol...i'm flexible though

SCOTT?!?!?! hey,there will be no jr's here. enough of that crap in my family

MissJacksonCA
17-Aug-2007, 03:19 AM
we could make like John Ritter in Problem Child and just call 'im Junior

mista_mo
17-Aug-2007, 03:20 AM
or dirtbag accident.

acealive1
17-Aug-2007, 03:21 AM
we could make like John Ritter in Problem Child and just call 'im Junior

he'd be like 5'10''' by the time he was idk........born.

_liam_
17-Aug-2007, 04:26 AM
^i heard the director of ustokidoji, legend of the overfined called his first born that.:lol:

does not suprise me at all, that film was questionable to say the least

dmbfanintn
17-Aug-2007, 12:52 PM
The gvmt already sticks thier noses into way too much of our private lives, no way should they be given the power to regulate naming children.

Can you say THX 1138?

DVW5150
17-Aug-2007, 02:14 PM
This discussion has been going on & on.
When Gail Zappa was in labor, her & Frank had to go to the nearest hospital.
The nurse was asking what the childs name was , & Frank & Gail said ,"Dweezil".
The nurse argued with them, stating stigma and social outcast-ism.
They caved, & named him something like, 'John Micheal Steven Benjamin Mark Joshua Randy Edward' ,but still addressed him as Dweezil.
When Dweezil was around 11 or so, he found out that his name wasnt really Dweezil.He had a very well adjusted life & was upset about it.
Then Gail & Frank arranged his name to be legally changed to what was a nick- name that Frank had for Gail Zappas little toe on her right foot.
Is Dweezil maladjusted?No, matter a fact he is nearly one the most eclectic and creative musicians folllowing in his fathers foot steps.
Of course if you have a preconcieved notion that you believe Frank Zappa is (was) a lame musician, then you will obviously state contrary.
I am unaware of the origins of Ahmet & Moon but they are equally well adjusted.
The plan that Frank left in the Zappa Trust is to benefit his family & under privileged children learn music.I think that states where Franks heart was in his final months of his life.
Frank was buried in an un-marked grave in a Los Angeles cemetary.

Now for those that are just regular people, whats in a name?
My wife & I stated that if we were to have another daughter, we'd name her
Annabelle.If a son , Lawrence, after my grandfather.

Wolfgang is named after his grandfather. Edward & Alex Van Halens father who played a major role in encouragement in music.He was a jazz clarinetist from Amsterdam Holland.
Now my facts are abit hazy on the before-mentioned , paraphrased as best I can.
If you are going to name your child something, you take responsiblity for that.
Its a parental responsibilty .
I have heard folks rag on Dweezil , Moon, & Wolfgang. I say bollocks. Because that individual has to be themselves , not what external forces decide who they are.

Naming your child after a status symbol like Mercedes or Porsche is fascile at best.
Thats just an opinion, obviously I am in the minority.

EvilNed
17-Aug-2007, 02:53 PM
You can find some really cool names in the Bible. Amraphel for instance. Isn't that a cool name?

coma
17-Aug-2007, 04:01 PM
I had a friend as a boy named Sean. Except pronounced "seen". His Mom cant read obviously
I met an old guy named "Innocent". Plus he's rude. Oh the irony
My friend was a teacher and he has a student named "Pleasure".And another one named "pepsicola"

Putting "Key" as a prefix to a name is non pleasing to the ear. Same with La or quan or qua. Thats generally African American stuff. Maybe its just cultural but I dont think it ever sounds good. Just sounds made up.

I dont like when people take a plain name and spell it weird Like Kevin to Kehvyn or something.

I was reading this Baby announcement in the newspaper. It had a kid named Chardonnnay. When you meet someone with a name like that you automatically know their parents were not overflowing with class.

That said and unusual name doesnt have to be bad. It can bery very nice. And NO, it is absolutely NOT the governments buisiness to be telling anyone what to name theier kids.

Danny
17-Aug-2007, 04:08 PM
I dont like when people take a plain name and spell it weird Like Kevin to Kehvyn or something.

ugh, dont get me started on "criss angel":rolleyes:

Yojimbo
17-Aug-2007, 05:26 PM
Best...post...ever!

Those names are too hilarious. If a parent wants to risk scarring their child with a name like "Blanket" it's not the government's right to intercede. They've got enough important stuff to worry about than stopping folks from naming their children "Lexus"

Personally I want to name my child George A. Romero as a first name, regardless of sex.

AcesandEights
17-Aug-2007, 05:59 PM
Yes, people should be allowed to pass their stupidity on in a more tangible manner (ie. naming their child Yermajesty). Then, when a potential suitor comes along, this can prove as a 'red flag'.

Me: "Hey again, Backseat. You know, I've been meaning to ask you...Why did your parents name you Backseat?"

Her: "I don't know, actually..."

Me: "Well, you said you had a brother, what's his name?"

Her: "Brokencondom."

Me: "I have to go...I *mumbles* left my cat on the stove...or something. *mumbles*

coma
17-Aug-2007, 06:54 PM
Masterpiece Hard-on
Now THATS a cool name:)
Chilly Smurf Pom Pom
Ramen Noodle
Superior
Give it time. Im telling you.

Apple. Thats so stupid.
And , sorry Nick Cage, naming your kid Kal El is retarded

Prince is a dumb name. I guess that means dad is the king. Assinine

How bout PreCum. So everyone knows Dad pulled out but just enough dribbled out.

AcesandEights
17-Aug-2007, 07:03 PM
Masterpiece Hard-on

Yeah, for a program on the Playboy channel!

Yojimbo
17-Aug-2007, 07:30 PM
Masterpiece Hard-on
Chilly Smurf Pom Pom
Ramen Noodle
Superior
Give it time. Im telling you.

Apple. Thats so stupid.
And , sorry Nick Cage, naming your kid Kal El is retarded

Prince is a dumb name. I guess that means dad is the king. Assinine

How bout PreCum. So everyone knows Dad pulled out but just enough dribbled out.

Yeah, what he said!

flyboy
21-Aug-2007, 01:44 AM
http://news.aol.com/story/_a/couple-tries-to-name-baby-/20070816093109990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

Between this couple wanting to name their kid '@' and another wanting to name theirs 4-real I think we're heading in a scary place... George Costanza from Seinfeld wanted to name his kid 7... or Soda... and some actor named his child Pilot Inspektor... WTF is wrong with people?

Personally I wouldn't mind it if they did... my name was sure a bitch to have as a kid growing up ... everyone kept calling me Ashley apparently they couldn't read... my poor brothers middle name is Quin... my dads middle name was Willard til he changed it to William... some kids just get a raw deal...

this is very true--i once heard of a german guy called-HELMUT Mc-ARSE-PARTER! no word of a lie guys honest!!! i think the authoritys shud prohibit stupid names for the sake of the child.im with you on that mjc.

DjfunkmasterG
24-Aug-2007, 01:40 PM

No the government should not prohibit names. The best thing about living in a free country is the ability to freely express yourself however you see fit, and there is nothing wrong with naming your kid @, tis a bit strange, but nothing wrong with it.

If I feel like naming any future kids I may have something like Shelby GT 500, I will do it because I like having that right.

No offense MJ but some of your ideals scare me, they border on communism.

MissJacksonCA
24-Aug-2007, 06:33 PM
Its cool DJ I like to think of myself as a radical thinker totalitarianish gal... I know my thoughts and ideas aren't embraced by many or even any... but its cool... makes for great fodder at dinner parties and the like... nothing makes idiots shut up more than my silly ideas...

RustyHicks
24-Aug-2007, 10:53 PM
I think you should name your kid whatever you want, just don't get crazy
about it. Think of the kid's years in school and the bullies that will follow
if you name your kid Moonbeam, or YellowButterfly, or Rainbow Skiddles.

Course I went to school with two girls who
always got teased about their names.

One girl had the last name of Christmas, so her parents named
her Merry Christmas...ugh
The other wasn't so bad. Her last name was Wood
so she was named Holly Wood

MissJacksonCA
25-Aug-2007, 12:39 AM
I kid you not Rusty I had a customer named Merry Christmas who tried to pay by Discover card and we didn't take Discover so she tried to pay by check and we dont take checks and then promised to pay by mail and NEVER DID... sweet old gal too...