PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding debt reaches a new low...

MissJacksonCA
17-Aug-2007, 10:18 PM
Man throws wife off balcony to avoid medical bills...

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (Aug. 16) - A man threw his seriously ill wife four stories to her death because he could no longer afford to pay for her medical care, prosecutors said in charging him with second-degree murder.

According to court documents filed Wednesday in Jackson County Circuit Court, Stanley Reimer walked his wife to the balcony of their apartment and kissed her before throwing her over.

The body of Criste Reimer, 47, was found Tuesday night outside the apartment building, near the upscale Country Club Plaza shopping district.

Stanley Reimer, 51, was charged Wednesday. He remained jailed on $250,000 bond and was scheduled to be arraigned Thursday.

In the probable cause statement filed with the charges, police said Reimer was desperate because he could not pay the bills for his wife's treatment for neurological problems and uterine cancer.

Investigators said that Reimer was in the apartment when they arrived. He told them, "She didn't jump," but did not elaborate, they said.

Criste Reimer's caregiver told police she could barely walk and would not have been able to climb over the railing of the balcony, according to the probable cause statement.

Reimer's alleged motive emerged after several more hours of questioning, police said.

According to Jackson County Probate Court records, Criste Reimer had been in ill health for several years. Her weight had fallen to 75 pounds and she was partly blind.

According to the court records, she had no health insurance to pay for medical bills that ranged from $700 to $800 per week.

The Probate Court documents were filed in April, when Stanley Reimer petitioned to be allowed to sell personal property his wife owned in Wheeler County, Texas, for $20,000.

The documents listed her assets at approximately $6,700, with monthly income of $725 from oil royalties and Supplemental Security Income.

It was not immediately known if Stanley Reimer had an attorney.

Cody
18-Aug-2007, 12:08 AM
sick world out there ya know?

MissJacksonCA
18-Aug-2007, 02:23 AM
The world is fine aside from the whole global warming thing... its the people that inhabit it that continually create new definitions for the term 'sick' :barf:

Cody
18-Aug-2007, 03:28 AM
are you talking about me :(?

MissJacksonCA
18-Aug-2007, 03:28 AM
No I was talking about President Bush...

flyboy
19-Aug-2007, 04:17 PM
sick world out there ya know?

too true cody.

Dtothe3
19-Aug-2007, 06:53 PM
I dunno about sick. maybe it was sick that he was being forced to pay her medicare which is how the situation started. I think it's a bit harsh to be throwing the sick word around over it, especially since the article gives no further indication of their relationship.

Sick is not the word to use in this situation methinks.

MissJacksonCA
19-Aug-2007, 07:12 PM
So its not sick to kill someone? Even if he loved her and wanted to put her out of her misery there's a more humane way. Its not like he was hoping that killing her in such a way would give their children (if any) an insurance payoff.

Dtothe3
19-Aug-2007, 11:25 PM
I'm not suggesting that it isn't sick to kill someone. But that depends on circumstance. For example, a man stabbing his wife in front of their kids is sick.

It sounds more like he was driven to it by the situation he was in. Considering the article mentions "neurological problems" on his wifes part, it could be that he went loopy through having no one to turn to for help. Looking at a situation like this as simply black and white, just doesn't hold water. Not with the concerns that were at hand.

You seem to be just leaping onto the psycho wagon simply because you cannot see how his mental state may have been. I'm assuming that psychiatric reports have yet to be filed, as they would have been mentioned. I would suggest those are taken into consideration before labelling the man as sick.

MissJacksonCA
20-Aug-2007, 12:18 AM
Oh he's not a psycho... psycho's dont reserve murder strictly for family... they'll kill anyone...

I can understand what drives someone to murder... but I dont feel for his plight... I feel for his dead wife who was thrown four stories to her death... the victim isn't a man sacked with medical bills or that would make nearly our entire country here victims... its a woman whose husband betrayed her for whatever reason... he is sick but that's just my nonprofessional judgemental diagnosis

DjfunkmasterG
20-Aug-2007, 06:13 PM
Actually MJ your logic is flawed. People can sometimes go into a psychotic episode.... as in they just snap. It happens, it has been medically documented. Stress if a very powerful thing and it can make people do things they would never do normally. It sounds to me like the stress of her medical bills just got to him and his thought process just didn't work properly and in the heat of the moment he just popped.

MissJacksonCA
20-Aug-2007, 09:20 PM
Wouldn't that alleged psychotic episode then make him sick? And in need of serious mental help? Most people in this country need a way to deal with stress and can't afford psychotherapy like everyone else... y'dont see them snapping... Besides anyone inundated with debt who kills someone besides themselves is a evil ogre...

DjfunkmasterG
20-Aug-2007, 09:55 PM
Well I am sure when it is all said and done he has some remorse, but everyone has a breaking point. The idea is to not be around them when that point occurs. Stress can make you do or say some ****ed up things.

MissJacksonCA
20-Aug-2007, 10:04 PM
So we should all avoid people who are on the breaking point? Not everyone looks like they're about to go postal...