PDA

View Full Version : Larry Vaira deceased

German_Guy
21-Aug-2007, 07:36 AM
the man who played the raider with the tommy-gun in Romero´s Dawn of the Dead is dead. he died on 27th april this year. he left a wife, a daughter and a son behind him. he was only 56 years old.

i´ve met mr.vaira in the year 2004 and 2006. he was a very very friendly person who was interested to communicate with fans. his family (which is also very friendly!) still miss him...

markus aka German_Guy

Danny
21-Aug-2007, 07:58 AM
well everyones gotta go sometime. least he got to star in one of the greatest horror films of all time, a flick teenagers will continue to watch on friday nights for decades to come.:cool:

axlish
21-Aug-2007, 05:04 PM
OMG I had no idea. I conducted an interview with him last year. I need to upload that one soon. RIP Mr. Vaira.

bassman
21-Aug-2007, 05:15 PM
Guy with the tommy-gun? I'll probably be told i'm not a true fan.....but I don't seem to remember this. He must have not had an important part....

DEAD BEAT
21-Aug-2007, 05:56 PM
Oh snap!

I didn't know about that i just checked imdb.com and it say's nothing!:eek:
He had a killer shag!

Axlish due indeed ad his interview i'd like to read it!;)

Monrozombi
22-Aug-2007, 12:37 AM
I was just watching Dawn the other day and got to wondering about him and some of the other secondary cast members. Sorry that I never got to meet him, RIP

Yojimbo
22-Aug-2007, 02:15 AM
Very sad.

My deepest condolences go out to his family and his friends. Ashamed to admit that I never knew his name before in spite of seeing him over and over again in one of my favorite movies, but I do now and will pledge to remember his name from here on out.

Rest in Peace Larry Varia.

coma
22-Aug-2007, 02:31 AM
Guy with the tommy-gun? I'll probably be told i'm not a true fan.....but I don't seem to remember this. He must have not had an important part....
He's the guy that, when leaving the mall, was in a sidecar. Longish hair no beard. Peter put him in his site. It cut to a gunsite cut out (Site cut out with Tommy gun Biker in the center). Peter shoots him. He is surrounded. He opens up on all the zombies in front of him and is engulfed from behind. They rip him apart. Its one of the best parts of the ending!

Sleep well, Larry Varia, and thanks for being totally kick ass in one of the greatest (THE Greatest?) films of all time.

MikePizzoff
22-Aug-2007, 03:57 AM

Serious? :confused: Lay off the _______, man.

He was pretty much the leader of the biker gang. He was a small guy with a Ramones-esque haircut that rode in a sidecar. He shouts "Don't be looking out for yourselves, now." when they first enter the mall, I believe.

EDIT: Can't believe I forgot... RIP.

Philly_SWAT
22-Aug-2007, 04:30 AM

Well, that is understandable. I am sure that we all see so many tommy guns every day that someone weilding one just passes by unnoticed......

Spider Rico
22-Aug-2007, 05:27 AM
He died so young, thats whats really sad.

bassman
22-Aug-2007, 12:01 PM
Well, that is understandable. I am sure that we all see so many tommy guns every day that someone weilding one just passes by unnoticed......

Oh wait....let me finish laughing. Seriously....my stomach hurts from laughing so much.:|

I remembered who he was after Coma explained. I guess that in a movie where EVERYONE has a gun, I don't pay much attention to what style gun everyone is carrying.

Danny
22-Aug-2007, 12:23 PM
that just means your not a clich'e american "from my cold dead hands" gun nut:lol:

DEAD BEAT
22-Aug-2007, 04:11 PM
Remeber before they take the mall and its showing all sorts of shots of the biker gang it shows him and he gives this kinda like playboy smile?

Kinda like "hey im the most good looking dude of the bunch" i think subconstiously he was tring to pose for the cameras!

I must admit i thought other than blades he had the best style going on most of the other dudes just look like a bunch of rednecks!:D

Yojimbo
23-Aug-2007, 01:39 AM
Thinking about it last night, here are some things I remembered about Varia's character in DOTD 78.

-Gaylen Ross, in one of the commentary tracks, commented on how attractive she thought Varia was.

-Quentin Tarantino, at some point listed on an acting resume in an attempt to pad his credits that he had been one of the bikers in DOTD. He did this after noticing that he vaguely resembled the Varia biker, who at the time of the movie was not credited. He figured, hey the biker was not credited so who's gonna know? To this day, this BS credit is still floating around and mistakenly mentioned as one of Tarantino's actual acting credits.

Just a few facts in memoriam of Mr. Varia.

axlish
23-Aug-2007, 03:07 PM
He also has a couple lines of dialogue...

"Alright you guys don't be looking for yourself, look for us, lets go!"

(to Tony Buba, the blood pressure machine biker) "C'mon man, what the hell are you doing, someones out there shooting at us"

"C'mon man, lets get the hell outta here" *proceeds to spray bullets in the general upstairs area*

Also, in the European cut he has an additional line...

"I don't know, maybe a hundred, maybe two, not too much to worry about" *Taso lets out a rebel yell*

DEAD BEAT
23-Aug-2007, 03:25 PM
Thinking about it last night, here are some things I remembered about Varia's character in DOTD 78.

-Gaylen Ross, in one of the commentary tracks, commented on how attractive she thought Varia was.

-Quentin Tarantino, at some point listed on an acting resume in an attempt to pad his credits that he had been one of the bikers in DOTD. He did this after noticing that he vaguely resembled the Varia biker, who at the time of the movie was not credited. He figured, hey the biker was not credited so who's gonna know? To this day, this BS credit is still floating around and mistakenly mentioned as one of Tarantino's actual acting credits.

Just a few facts in memoriam of Mr. Varia.

What? Dude who ever he told that to must be a blind bastard he doesnt look shiit like Tarantino,need i mention that who ever he said that to would be a dumb shiit aswell.....

"Tarantino was fricken 14 years old in 1978"!:eek:

Going back to his face i think that at least Varia would have been thought of as good looking back then, dont get me wrong Tarantino is a awsome talent but i wouldn't wipe my asss with his face!:eek::D:lol::moon::clown:

coma
23-Aug-2007, 03:35 PM
dont get me wrong Tarantino is a awsome talent but i wouldn't wipe my asss with his face!:eek::D:lol::moon::clown:
Not to mention I know from Personal experience that he has horrendous B.O.
I mean, the dude stinks like ass!

RustyHicks
23-Aug-2007, 03:50 PM
I think Romero's wife, Chris said in the Dawn Commentary that
she thought the biker looked something like Davy Jones lol

Yojimbo
23-Aug-2007, 04:03 PM
What? Dude who ever he told that to must be a blind bastard he doesnt look shiit like Tarantino,need i mention that who ever he said that to would be a dumb shiit aswell.....

"Tarantino was fricken 14 years old in 1978"!:eek:

Going back to his face i think that at least Varia would have been thought of as good looking back then, dont get me wrong Tarantino is a awsome talent but i wouldn't wipe my asss with his face!:eek::D:lol::moon::clown:

Yes, got to agree with you there, dead. I think if the situation is reversed, like "hey you look like Q.T." that personally I would think that someone was trying to insult me.

Funny that his fake credit is still floating around accepted as fact since, as you point out, Tarantino would have been an pimple faced -- and probably self-important cocky loudmouth-- teenage kid at the time of filming, and would have looked out of place in the group of bikers. The Mongols, or Pagans, or whatever the name was of the real biker gang was, ought to track down Tarrantino and jump him into their gang for real for that infraction!

MissJacksonCA
23-Aug-2007, 07:05 PM
Aw... this a sad day... i shall watch Dawn and remember 'im

jim102016
24-Aug-2007, 03:12 AM

If I recall correctly that guy is not the only one who carried a .45 submachine gun in the movie. What about the guy in the begining of the raid who shoots the controls outside the bay doors? I think he's called "Mouse"....the Mexican guy with the hat on? He later dies while getting his blood pressure taken. Before reading through all the posts, I thought maybe he died!

Danny
24-Aug-2007, 06:08 PM
Not to mention I know from Personal experience that he has horrendous B.O.
I mean, the dude stinks like ass!

dude, my film teacher said the exact same thing!:lol:
lets hope they never release dusk till dawn in smell-o-vision.

DEAD BEAT
27-Aug-2007, 05:06 PM
Sure enough i went on imdb.com and looked up Tarantino's profile and they mention about him using that role as an early credit!:dead::moon::(

Cody
27-Aug-2007, 06:52 PM
RIP, he was a awesome