PDA

View Full Version : Its not easy being pink... (not about the 'singer')

MissJacksonCA
21-Aug-2007, 11:08 PM
It's not easy being pink
By Brian Hicks (Contact)
The Post and Courier
Tuesday, August 21, 2007

South Carolina inmates don't feel pretty in pink, just persecuted.

And one of them is suing the Department of Corrections over the statement this fashion makes about him.

Since January 2005, South Carolina prisons have forced inmates to wear pink jumpsuits for three months after they are caught publicly performing any sex act, whether alone or with someone else.

Sherone Nealous, an inmate at Evans Correctional Institution in Marlboro County, was allegedly caught in the act last year and forced to wear the fuchsia jumper, a modern — and no less shameful — version of Hawthorne's Scarlet Letter.

In response, Nealous has sued the department, the prison and Corrections Director Jon Ozmint. In court filings, Nealous professes his innocence and says that making him wear a pink jumpsuit in prison puts his life in danger.

"The color pink in an all-male environment no doubt causes derision and verbal and physical attacks on a person's manhood," wrote Nealous, who has been serving time on various assault and battery charges since 1999. "Placing inmates in pink jumpsuits leaves them open to threats of sexual assault, intimidation, extortion and ridicule."

Prison officials say they needed to mark prisoners who engage in sexual misconduct as a warning to staff, and contend pink wasn't chosen for its humiliation value — it was just the only color available. Most inmates wear tan, death row inmates wear dark green, the guards wear blue.

"We do not believe the Constitution grants an inmate the right to publicly gratify himself and assault female staff in the uniform color of his choice," Ozmint said Monday. "We are bound and determined to protect our female staff from perverts who commit this sort of act, and we believe it is our duty to do anything possible to convince these perverts to reform their behavior."

In court documents, corrections officials note that a dozen nurses in Florida prisons won nearly $1 million from the state when a jury decided prison officials had not done enough to protect them from sexual misconduct.

The New York office of Human Rights Watch calls the practice "humiliation" and says such practices have no place in prisons.

"Well-managed prison systems do not rely on archaic shaming methods to punish inmates for misbehaving," says Jamie Fellner, director of the U.S. program of Human Rights Watch. "Officials nationwide recognize that using distinctive clothes to identify inmates according to the rules they have broken — particularly where sexual conduct is involved — puts the inmate at risk of verbal and even physical attacks."

But corrections officials stand by their policy and say sexual misconduct appears to be on the wane in South Carolina prisons.

I think this is hilarious... what rights do they have to wear whatever color they want? I think it makes sense that they should be able to brand the sexual offenders with a paticular color as a warning to female staff members and if they have to face up to the other inmates and their safety is jeopardised within the prisin population then perhaps they shoulda thought about that before they committed a sexual offense... IMHO justice is served!

Marie
21-Aug-2007, 11:44 PM
"The color pink in an all-male environment no doubt causes derision and verbal and physical attacks on a person's manhood," wrote Nealous, who has been serving time on various assault and battery charges since 1999. "Placing inmates in pink jumpsuits leaves them open to threats of sexual assault, intimidation, extortion and ridicule."

SNIPPAGE

The New York office of Human Rights Watch calls the practice "humiliation" and says such practices have no place in prisons.

"Well-managed prison systems do not rely on archaic shaming methods to punish inmates for misbehaving," says Jamie Fellner, director of the U.S. program of Human Rights Watch. "Officials nationwide recognize that using distinctive clothes to identify inmates according to the rules they have broken — particularly where sexual conduct is involved — puts the inmate at risk of verbal and even physical attack"

The rapist is afraid he'll be laughed at or assaulted? Well BooHoo.

As far as using humiliation, Hey, whatever works.

Cold hearted? As far as rapists are concerned, Yeppers. Hey, I'd execute them.

M_

Yojimbo
22-Aug-2007, 01:18 AM

M_

Kinda of fascist, maybe, but I gotta agree with Marie. Pretty hard to feel any sympathy for a rapist!

Reminds me of that news story a few threads back where they were penalizing cops in thailand who committed infractions by making them wear a Hello Kitty armband.

coma
22-Aug-2007, 02:44 AM
Kinda of fascist, maybe, but I gotta agree with Marie. Pretty hard to feel any sympathy for a rapist!

Reminds me of that news story a few threads back where they were penalizing cops in thailand who committed infractions by making them wear a Hello Kitty armband.
According to that if you get caught spanking it (like at night and trying to hide it) you'd get the pink jumpsuit too.
I dont have sympathy for rapists at all
But they are flat out LYING if they pretend thats the only clor available and that it wouldnt cause major problems for the guy in the jumpsuit. What about yellow? Theres a would of colors. The Warden is full of sh*t

Philly_SWAT
22-Aug-2007, 04:34 AM
Prison officials say they needed to mark prisoners who engage in sexual misconduct as a warning to staff, and contend pink wasn't chosen for its humiliation value — it was just the only color available. Most inmates wear tan, death row inmates wear dark green, the guards wear blue.
Ummm.....pink was the "only color available"? What a load of ****e! Are those "officials" contending that only 4 colors exist? Even the small box of crayola crayons has 12.

"We do not believe the Constitution grants an inmate the right to publicly gratify himself and assault female staff....
Well, dont have female staff in an all male environment then.

MissJacksonCA
22-Aug-2007, 04:51 AM

M_

Yeah... we should execute them... then they'd be in the dark green jumpsuits :elol:

fartpants
23-Aug-2007, 06:34 PM
dont give them any clothes then, let them walk around naked and i bet they wouldn't feel a fraction of the humiliation their victims felt... or better still just execute them all and this problem wouldn't arise...

Yojimbo
23-Aug-2007, 06:42 PM
According to that if you get caught spanking it (like at night and trying to hide it) you'd get the pink jumpsuit too.
I dont have sympathy for rapists at all
But they are flat out LYING if they pretend thats the only clor available and that it wouldnt cause major problems for the guy in the jumpsuit. What about yellow? Theres a would of colors. The Warden is full of sh*t

That is true. Spanking it is worlds apart from being a rapist, and should be designated differently. Otherwise, inmates would see the jumpsuit and would kick your ass not knowing if you were wearing it because you got caught jerking off or raping your cellmate!

MissJacksonCA
23-Aug-2007, 06:50 PM
Yeah but how bad do you need to jerk off that you're willing to do it in public? I totally get like fornicating in public being more exciting than in the home or in the back yard but ... dayam who wants to see that?

My old job we weren't allowed to park in the lot of the store we worked at so we had to park one lot over behind someone elses store... well one day after closing up shop I happened upon a regular customer performing the fine art of fellatio on another regular and if you knew these people you'd know how utterly visually offensive that just happens to be... wish they were arrested it took weeks to get that out of my memory and was finally replaced by some guy at the beach who had spots of hair on his back... not a hairy back but like little round patches of hair... it was creepy...

B'sides... there's some me who enjoy playing with themselves in front of women and/or children...ick ick pervert wear pink!

Cody
23-Aug-2007, 08:56 PM
They did the crime they have to pay, if they dont like the way the punishment is in that state then maybe they should of that about that and did what ever they did in another state / country.

Yojimbo
23-Aug-2007, 11:11 PM
They did the crime they have to pay, if they dont like the way the punishment is in that state then maybe they should of that about that and did what ever they did in another state / country.

Assuming they are actually guilty of the crime they are accused of, right Cody?

I do agree, though, it just seems to me that there are degrees of punishment that should be applied based on the crime or infraction. Like I would not think the death penalty should be instituted for someone who was caught with a dime bag of weed, but a pedophiliac rapist should definetly fry in pain. So while someone might be guilty of a crime, they should only be penalized to the extent that their crime hurts society, or in this case the society of inmates.

So while someone pulling their pud in view of their fellow inmates is offensive and should be punished, someone raping other inmates is offensive to a much greater degree. In this regard, their punishments for their respective offenses should be contingent on the level of their offense. To lump both into the same category is not exactly fair or just.