PDA

View Full Version : Need hard drive help!!!

MikePizzoff
24-Aug-2007, 11:31 AM
I was using my computer for editing, like usual, last night. While uploading footage to the computer, the upload stopped suddenly and my camera could no longer be detected. I thought it was pretty odd but figured I'd edit what had been captured and then get the rest when I was finished.

So I edited it all then saved, exited the program and restarted my computer so I could capture the rest of the footage. When the computer restarted it was acting funny and now when I click on my second hard drive (with years of pictures, videos, songs, etc.) it won't give me any information and tells me the hard drive needs to be formatted.

Other than the capturing abruptly stopping, the computer was acting completely normal. I tried shutting down my computer, check the wires, and re-connecting the hard drive and it still tells me it needs to be formatted.

Does anybody know what the hell might have happened and if there is any way of fixing this??? I really hope so because a lot of my short films from long ago were on that hard drive and I don't want to lose them forever...

DjfunkmasterG
24-Aug-2007, 12:54 PM
Sounds like a bump in XP, assuming you use XP for your windows operation. Use the system restore feature and go back a day or so before you captured the footage, this may help if it doesn't. Take the side of the case off, turn off the PC first, then disconnect the IDE or SATA cable from the HDD and MOTHERBOARD. Then boot up the machine fully. Shut down reconnect the cable and see if that brings it back online.

That should help.

MikePizzoff
24-Aug-2007, 09:12 PM
Damn, neither of those worked, nor did anything else I tried. Guess I'll have to say goodbye to years of recordings, edited movies, and pictures and just format the drive. :(

Thanks anyway, Deejmeister.

Yojimbo
24-Aug-2007, 11:11 PM
Is you data backed up, say on a data cassettes or DVRs?

RustyHicks
24-Aug-2007, 11:50 PM
I hope it is dude, cause it is a hell of
a job getting it all back.
Had it happen to me last year
when my hardrive got blown.

Yojimbo
25-Aug-2007, 12:57 AM
I hope it is dude, cause it is a hell of
a job getting it all back.
Had it happen to me last year
when my hardrive got blown.

Mine too and a lot of files are just lost forever. Since then, bi-weekly backups have become like a religious ritual for me. Some really paranoid folks I know backup more often and this one dude I know backs up daily, but he is obsessive compulsive/bipolar. Still, he will have the last laugh if his hardrive goes to hell.